Include pre-formatted files/pdf's in report

When sending out customer orders I today include an invoice and a 
packing list printed from MS-Access. However, I would like to add 
various information to the customer, such as technical information, 
promotions etc.

These extra informations would be defined on each order, so what I am 
after is how to include these text fragments in the report print-out. 
Should this be done as images (jpegs/tiff's) or is it possible to use 
pdf documents?

If the customer order for example contains a reference to the text 
fragments P017, TD061, B741, could I then get these three files printed 
out like this:

<Report header>
P017.pdf
TD061.pdf
B741.pdf
<Report footer>

If yes, how do I store the files in the access database, and how do I 
include them in the report code?

Thanks

Mogens
0
lunde
5/11/2007 7:07:53 PM
access.reports 4434 articles. 0 followers. Follow

5 Replies
906 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 38

lunde wrote:
> When sending out customer orders I today include an invoice and a 
> packing list printed from MS-Access. However, I would like to add 
> various information to the customer, such as technical information, 
> promotions etc.
> 
> These extra informations would be defined on each order, so what I am 
> after is how to include these text fragments in the report print-out. 
> Should this be done as images (jpegs/tiff's) or is it possible to use 
> pdf documents?
> 
> If the customer order for example contains a reference to the text 
> fragments P017, TD061, B741, could I then get these three files printed 
> out like this:
> 
> <Report header>
> P017.pdf
> TD061.pdf
> B741.pdf
> <Report footer>
> 
> If yes, how do I store the files in the access database, and how do I 
> include them in the report code?
> 
> Thanks
> 
> Mogens
Okay, another idea then: Can I store preformatted text, for example text 
from a MS-Word document into a field in an MS-Access table, and then 
output this text in the MS-Access report and maintain the formatting? If 
yes, what type of field should I use (Memo, Ole Object ??) and what to 
do to maintain formatting?

Thanks again :)
0
lunde
5/12/2007 12:06:56 PM
Yes, you can embed a Word or WordPad doc directly in an OLE field in your 
MDB. But I would advise against it.

Use a form as the UI for the user to select the invoice to print and which 
promotional/instructional PDF files you wish to print. Output the report and 
then programmatically send the desired PDF's to the printer.

-- 

HTH
Stephen Lebans
http://www.lebans.com
Access Code, Tips and Tricks
Please respond only to the newsgroups so everyone can benefit.


"lunde" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message 
news:ehRGB4IlHHA.4592@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> lunde wrote:
>> When sending out customer orders I today include an invoice and a packing 
>> list printed from MS-Access. However, I would like to add various 
>> information to the customer, such as technical information, promotions 
>> etc.
>>
>> These extra informations would be defined on each order, so what I am 
>> after is how to include these text fragments in the report print-out. 
>> Should this be done as images (jpegs/tiff's) or is it possible to use pdf 
>> documents?
>>
>> If the customer order for example contains a reference to the text 
>> fragments P017, TD061, B741, could I then get these three files printed 
>> out like this:
>>
>> <Report header>
>> P017.pdf
>> TD061.pdf
>> B741.pdf
>> <Report footer>
>>
>> If yes, how do I store the files in the access database, and how do I 
>> include them in the report code?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mogens
> Okay, another idea then: Can I store preformatted text, for example text 
> from a MS-Word document into a field in an MS-Access table, and then 
> output this text in the MS-Access report and maintain the formatting? If 
> yes, what type of field should I use (Memo, Ole Object ??) and what to do 
> to maintain formatting?
>
> Thanks again :) 


0
Stephen
5/12/2007 4:43:04 PM
Stephen Lebans wrote:
> Yes, you can embed a Word or WordPad doc directly in an OLE field in your 
> MDB. But I would advise against it.
> 
> Use a form as the UI for the user to select the invoice to print and which 
> promotional/instructional PDF files you wish to print. Output the report and 
> then programmatically send the desired PDF's to the printer.
> 
Thanks Stephen,

The invoices and packing lists are produced batch every morning, and 
then sent to our warehouse in one large pdf-file for pick-pack and 
despatch. What I would like is to include some text segments that we 
pick individually per customer based on whether it is a new/old 
customer, the type of product he is buying, country etc.

I guess your warning about embedding Word doc's directly is due to 
performance issues, but is it then possible to store the text segments 
in for example a memo-field AND keep the formatting when generating the 
report?
0
lunde
5/12/2007 9:28:44 PM
YOu could use a RIch Text ActiveX control. The main limitation is that 
CanGow/Shrink does not work well across page boundaries.

-- 

HTH
Stephen Lebans
http://www.lebans.com
Access Code, Tips and Tricks
Please respond only to the newsgroups so everyone can benefit.


"lunde" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message 
news:%23A0B7xNlHHA.4900@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Stephen Lebans wrote:
>> Yes, you can embed a Word or WordPad doc directly in an OLE field in your 
>> MDB. But I would advise against it.
>>
>> Use a form as the UI for the user to select the invoice to print and 
>> which promotional/instructional PDF files you wish to print. Output the 
>> report and then programmatically send the desired PDF's to the printer.
>>
> Thanks Stephen,
>
> The invoices and packing lists are produced batch every morning, and then 
> sent to our warehouse in one large pdf-file for pick-pack and despatch. 
> What I would like is to include some text segments that we pick 
> individually per customer based on whether it is a new/old customer, the 
> type of product he is buying, country etc.
>
> I guess your warning about embedding Word doc's directly is due to 
> performance issues, but is it then possible to store the text segments in 
> for example a memo-field AND keep the formatting when generating the 
> report? 


0
Stephen
5/12/2007 9:43:41 PM
Stephen Lebans wrote:
>YOu could use a RIch Text ActiveX control. The main limitation is that 
>CanGow/Shrink does not work well across page boundaries.
>
>>> Yes, you can embed a Word or WordPad doc directly in an OLE field in your 
>>> MDB. But I would advise against it.
>[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]
>> for example a memo-field AND keep the formatting when generating the 
>> report?


How about creating pdf reports based on the parameters you mentioned, using
Stephen's PDFtoReport (works great by the way) - you can batch them with the
invoice, etc or email them to the warehouse as attachments.  You can likely
personalize them with customer info, etc. to give them a personal touch
rather than a canned form letter type thing.  I use PDFtoReport to generate
numbered reports and them email them in the background using Ostrosoft's SMTP
module. All in one click based on Customer info, work order, type of
transaction, etc.

Hope this helps,

Cyber-guy

-- 
Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com

0
Cyber
5/13/2007 12:25:55 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Importing a .cdr file in Publisher 2007
Hi there, someone has sent me a .cdr file, is there a way to import it into Publisher? Thanks, Ulli You can import a .cdr file in 2007. Not sure about the version however. I cannot import CorelDraw 12 images into Publisher. Your sender can convert the .cdr in Corel to a .wmf or .emf or any other format. Try importing, Insert, picture, from file. If your sender cannot convert the file, send it to me and I will convert it for you. mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Ulli" <Ul...

Is it possible to view Excel split screen by tab within same file
I would like to view split screen tabs within the same Excel workbook. Is this possible? Hi SS. Go to Window - Arrange - and select the view you would like. It shows all tabs. Minimize or close the ones you don't want. I find the vertical view the easiest to use. HTH -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "SS" wrote: > I would like to view split screen tabs within the same Excel workbook. Is > this possible? Window|new window Window|Arrange (horizontal/vertical/whatever you want) Check windows of activeworkbook (if you only want that one workbook) You'll see som...

XmlResolver and xsl:include
Have been doing a fair amount of reading but at this point no joy. The scenario is - XSL template is stored within db. - Template has a xsl:include statement as <xsl:include href="inc.template.methods.xsl"/> I now I have to pass a resolver when I use the load method so that it understands the xsl include as in: ' object template is custom class to retrieve templates from the db dim template as new objTemplate dim myresolver as xmlresolver dim mytransfrom as xmltransform ' template.xmlDocRunTime returns a xmldocument object mytransform.load(template.xmlDocRunTim...

Report Writer Text Spacing Problems While Modifying a PO form
Due to Report Writer static text field size limitations, I am forced to try to use two adjacent text fields to complete a sentence. I am having an inordinate amout of problems trying to get words to align in sentences with the correct amount of character spacing between words that span the text field boundaries. And, the process of toggling between Report Writer and Dyamics to get the Purchase Order form to reprint is time consuming. What am I missing (besides patience)? -- Jay Jay, 1) Setup a calculated field for your static text. Set the result type to String, and use the Constant...

format the whole row
I know in older versions, the file size would be huge if you formated a whole row rather then just the cells required. Does this still apply? E.g. A workbook I am using seems to run rather slow. The creator formatted many tables over about 25 sheets with borders but he did so by selecting the rows rather then the cells. I was wondering if I should take a couple minutes and clear the formatting from those columns? Thank you Deborah I don't think changing formatting will make any difference. You can easily check this out by making a copy of the workbook fo testing -- Message posted...

Corrupt system file
On a working WinXP system, I got a message that a file, I think c:/WINDOWS/system32/wbem/framedyn.dll, is corrupt. How can I verify that claim and how can I restore that file? "Herzl Regev" wrote: > On a working WinXP system, I got a message that a file, I think > c:/WINDOWS/system32/wbem/framedyn.dll, is corrupt. How can I verify that > claim and how can I restore that file? See the following KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319114 On 4/1/2010 10:21 AM, Herzl Regev wrote: > On a working WinXP system, I got a message that a file, I thi...

Error saving Excel files in a network drive
I have a problem saving Excel files onto a network drive. I get an error saying it was imposible to save the file. It creates a temporary file and then I have to open it and save it as a new document. This issue doesn�t occur saving the file in my hard disk. This happens with "Full control" access to the shared folder... I have Windows XP and Office 2000. Thanks in advance Mateo. Hi Mateo, > I have a problem saving Excel files onto a network drive. I get an error > saying it was imposible to save the file. It creates a temporary file and > then I have to open it and sav...

How can I save Outlook details if I re-format?
I have a growing number of problems with my computer and have spent ages trying to sort out each on. Now, I think I might as well do a re-format and start off again with a clean disc. But, I do not want to lose all my contacts and calendar appointments. Where are these kept on the hard disc so that I can back them up onto a CD? Ta Gerald coxwall wrote: > I have a growing number of problems with my computer and have spent > ages trying to sort out each on. Now, I think I might as well do a > re-format and start off again with a clean disc. > > But, I do not want to lose all ...

Formatting problems
I have a bar graph with two axis. On axis x the bars are showing and there are no data labels. On the y axis the bars are hidden and there are data labels. I formatted the data labels, saved the spreadsheet and closed it. When I opened it this morning, all of my other formatting was saved, but not the formatting to the data labels. Anytime I close the spreadsheet, it does not save the data label formatting. Any suggestions? ...

Formatting a Column....
I want to do a continuous +1 in A1 thru A17 - ex. A1 = H03860, A2 = H03861, A3 = H03862 ------ yes I feel very stupid asking this! HI Type the first 2 numbers in A1 and in A2 then click the bottom of cell 2 and drag down has far has you like. They will increment by themselves HTH John "dawn brist" <dawnbrist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C5ADF58-F78E-47FB-A8DB-F8073D11450A@microsoft.com... >I want to do a continuous +1 in A1 thru A17 - ex. A1 = H03860, A2 = H03861, > A3 = H03862 ------ yes I feel very stupid asking this! > Hi Again I should h...

Business Portal 2.5
Suddenly website stops working, doesnt knows what happens access to : http://server/sites/businessportal results in The page cannot be found with error message HTTP 404 - File Not Found whereas sharepoint website is working fine please helpp !!!!!!! ...

I need 5 conditional formatting rules-excel only allows 3
Im trying to set a sheet of fixed numbers (120) and need to have the chart highlight the numbers that match the five random numbers selected. Conditional formatting would work if it would let me use 5 rules but it only lets me use up to 3. I'm trying to highlight all the chart and then make rules to highlight in orange if any cell in the chart matches the numbers I input in each if the 5 cells at the top of the page. Any suggestions? Thanks David The next version of XL will permit you all you want, but until then, check out this link: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CFPlus.D...

In Access, How do I hide records, but include them in the total
I'm running a report where I have work orders. They are grouped by appr and comp. I need to create a report that will show all the appr tickets, but give me a total count of appr and comp. I have the report generated the way I want, with total count, but how do i hide just the comp tickets. xeoimom wrote: >I'm running a report where I have work orders. They are grouped by appr and >comp. I need to create a report that will show all the appr tickets, but >give me a total count of appr and comp. I have the report generated the way >I want, with total count, but ...

#includes
I'm looking over my files this evening, and I'm noticing that some of my #includes (of my own header files) are in my .h files, while some are in my ..cpp files. Sometimes I have used incomplete class declarations as well. I have tried to find some good reading to help me understand this whole thing, but haven't so far. Could I get a bit of advice on this? I don't know if this is related, but one of my source files won't give me any of those "smart tips" when the cursor passes over various objects, unless it is something that I have declared in that file itsel...

alternate quoted text formatting?
Is there any way to change Outlook's behaviour vis-a-vi quoted text in replies. It uses vertical bars to indicate quote level, but these just don't show up (in any consistent way) when viewed in any non-Outlook mail client. I'd much prefer Outlook to use ">" for quoted text or at least some method that is not limited to viewing in Microsoft clients. The only way I can find to do this is to use the view all mail as plain text option, but then if I'm forwarded an e-mail from an Outlook user where there is already quoted text in the vertical bars style, these are jus...

Converting Money 2003 to 2006 file format failure
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5CD89.F3BC8880 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm trying to evaluate Money 2006 however the update fails when = converting my Money 2003 file.=20 It fails with the "Money cant open this file because it was created = using a different version of Money" - obviously it WAS a different = version, hence the upgrade!!! Do I have to upgrade to Money 2005 to = advance to 2006??? Not a wise move on M$' part if that is the case!!!!. The fail...

Format Column
I have a column with inmate id numbers in it. I imported them from a text based program. I made a custom formatting for the column because all the id numbers begin with zero. IE 00112356 or 01555666 etc... The format I used was 00000000 under custom. The problem now is that I want to import them into access but access doesn't see the zero at the beginning. How can I make it show the literal number including the zeros? I tried adding the '01222555 before the number, but I would have to manually append 2000 records. Is there a faster way? Morph. Hi you could use a helper column...

Changing the Year in formatted Date
I would like to change to year portion from 2009 to 2010 in multiple cells. The cells are formatted as Date with *3/14/2001 selected for k = 1 to 5 Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(k,2)=Date if Date.year = 2009 then Date.year=2010 next k Date.year is incorrect. How do I change and save the date? Sub dural() Dim d As Date, s As String For i = 1 To 30 d = Cells(i, 1).Value m = Month(d) dt = Day(d) s = m & "/" & dt & "/" & "2010" Cells(i, 1).Value = DateValue(s) Next End Sub -- Gary''s...

save formats of percentage when copying a chart
How do I keep the percentage format of data on a chart when I copy/move the chart to another spreadsheet that does not have the original data in it? ...

Issue with .jpg files in Vista/Windows 7
I'm having an issue with my JPEG files in both Vista and Windows 7. The files were created on my camera and downloaded to an XP machine. When I moved them to either a Vista or Windows 7 machine about 1/3 of them will not display. If I move them back, everything displays just fine on my old XP machine. I downloaded IrFanView on the Windows 7 machine and tried that. It didn't help. When I open one of the troublesome files I get the following: DSCF8623.JPG : Can't read file header ! Unknown file format or file not found! (for unicode filenames please aciv...

Column Formats & Merging to Word
Recently upgraded to v. 2003 and now have a problem with data that merges into MS Word 2003. The excel column has a basic formula in it, and is formatted to show only one decimal place. However, when it merges into word, there are many decimal places (8, 10, can't remember how many). How do I fix this? It was never an issue in v 2000. TIA Christina Christina There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you: Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HA011164951033.aspx Gord Dibben Excel MVP On...

Including MDA information in transaction edit reports
GP 8.0 I would like to include MDA entry with the AP transaction edit list so the input can be reviewed before releasing a batch for posting. Same thing applies to our invoicing. What is the best way to accomplish this task? I have coded this once for a customer. The only method that can work seamlessly is a Dexterity customisation which uses a trigger to add extra lines into the temporary table used for the report just prior to printing. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer - Great Plains Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Dynamics (f...

Publisher will not open previous files
Using Publisher 2000 I cannot open previous made files using the same version, I only have one. Any suggestions? Al wrote: > Using Publisher 2000 I cannot open previous made files > using the same version, I only have one. Any suggestions? ================================ Maybe it's an issue with NAV...have a look at the following article: (329820) How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 Also try disabling Script Blocking: How to disable Script Blocking in Norton AntiVirus 2001 http://tinyurl.com/6v7mc How t...

Open File Dialog Help
I am trying to set the m_ofn.lpstrInitialDir to "My Music" on an open file dialog, but can't seem to get it to work right. I would like it to default to the c:\documents and settings\user\My Documents\My Music, regardless of the machine the application is running on. The project is being built using Visual C++ 6.0 Professional, on a Windows 2K machine, but may be running in any Windows environment. Thanks, SHGetSpecialFolderPath(CSIDL_PERSONAL) gets you to My Documents ...

Inserting picture causes paragraph formatting to be ignored.
when I insert a picture into a publisher page -- say between two text boxes or a text box with 2 columns. To th right of the picture, the paragraph formatting is missing -- such as the first line indention. The column on the left is fine even though it is narrower of course. the first line indention remains. but the one to the right of the column loses its first line indent. If I go into the text itself and try to put in the paragrah changes to say first line indent, the page does not recognize it and still gives me a flush left margin in the text to the right of the inserted pictur...