Help with report formatting

I am in need of some help formatting a report.  My table looks like this:

Item Description as a text value
Month (yyyy-mm) as a text value, not date
Dollar Amount

I didn't use a date field type because I noticed that despite what it shows
on the screen, it actually stored a specific date in the table, which I
didn't want.  (I am using SQL Server 2005 database linked into an Access 2007
front end.)

So, for example, I might enter "Rent", "2009-11", and "$2000".  That entry
will exist for every month.  I might enter "Insurance", "2009-12", "$150" and
pay it every 3 months.  And so on.

What I need is a report that looks like this:

Item             2009-11              2009-12              2010-01
    2010-02
Rent              $2000                   $2000                  $2000
            $2000
Insurance                                    $150
Food              $365                      $412                    $282
                 $325

And so on, printing out 12 months.

Does anyone know how I can create that kind of report?  And are the fields
in my table OK for creating that kind of report?

Thanks!

A crosstab query will do it for you.
TRANSFORM Sum([Dollar Amount]) AS SomOfDollar
SELECT [Item]
FROM YourTable
GROUP BY [Item]
PIVOT [Month];

--
Build a little, test a little.

"Brian" wrote:

> I am in need of some help formatting a report.  My table looks like this:
>
> Item Description as a text value
> Month (yyyy-mm) as a text value, not date
> Dollar Amount
>
> I didn't use a date field type because I noticed that despite what it shows
> on the screen, it actually stored a specific date in the table, which I
> didn't want.  (I am using SQL Server 2005 database linked into an Access 2007
> front end.)
>
> So, for example, I might enter "Rent", "2009-11", and "$2000".  That entry
> will exist for every month.  I might enter "Insurance", "2009-12", "$150" and
> pay it every 3 months.  And so on.
>
> What I need is a report that looks like this:
>
> Item             2009-11              2009-12              2010-01
>     2010-02
> Rent              $2000                   $2000                  $2000
>             $2000
> Insurance                                    $150
> Food              $365                      $412                    $282
>                  $325
>
> And so on, printing out 12 months.
>
> Does anyone know how I can create that kind of report?  And are the fields
> in my table OK for creating that kind of report?
>
> Thanks!
I think you should actually use a date field. You can display this as yyyy-mm
or whatever. Storing an actual date allows you to sort correctly, use date
functions, etc. There is a monthly crosstab report solution at
http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=5466.

--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

> A crosstab query will do it for you.
> TRANSFORM Sum([Dollar Amount]) AS SomOfDollar
> SELECT [Item]
> FROM YourTable
> GROUP BY [Item]
> PIVOT [Month];
>
> --
> Build a little, test a little.
>

> "Brian" wrote:
>
> > I am in need of some help formatting a report.  My table looks like this:
> >
> > Item Description as a text value
> > Month (yyyy-mm) as a text value, not date
> > Dollar Amount
> >
> > I didn't use a date field type because I noticed that despite what it shows
> > on the screen, it actually stored a specific date in the table, which I
> > didn't want.  (I am using SQL Server 2005 database linked into an Access 2007
> > front end.)
> >
> > So, for example, I might enter "Rent", "2009-11", and "$2000".  That entry
> > will exist for every month.  I might enter "Insurance", "2009-12", "$150" and
> > pay it every 3 months.  And so on.
> >
> > What I need is a report that looks like this:
> >
> > Item             2009-11              2009-12              2010-01
> >     2010-02
> > Rent              $2000                   $2000                  $2000
> >             $2000
> > Insurance                                    $150
> > Food              $365                      $412                    $282
> >                  $325
> >
> > And so on, printing out 12 months.
> >
> > Does anyone know how I can create that kind of report?  And are the fields
> > in my table OK for creating that kind of report?
> >
> > Thanks!

Can we create custom SSRS reports for CRM Online using Visual Stud
Can we use Visual Studio (or SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio) to create custom reports that can be uploaded to a CRM Online deployment, or even download standard reports and modify them? I don't know how that would work because I don't know if we would have access to the SQL Server database. Hi Michael, you can add new reports into CRM Online - as when you add Reports into any Microsoft CRM Deployment, the upload rountine replaces the Connection Details in the Report with the correct ones for the CRM Deployment you are uploading into. However whilst you can...

sumifs help

Reports problem 04-11-05
I have run into this occasionaly where the reports seem to take a while to initaly load, sometimes they dont load at all. For example I will click on an activity report and sometimes after about 2 minutes it will load the inital unfiltered reports. Sometimes that same report may not load at all. It seems to happen too often to just be a little glitch. Is this normal? I've seen this problem too,.....its probably why Crystal is being dropped as CRM's reporting service. Its just very resource instensive...........anytime that happens, go into the CRM server, load the Crystal M...

HTML Emails Loose Formatting on Forward / Reply
We are currently sending out some HTML emails (via a programmatic tool) to members of our company who use Outlook 2000 -2004. These emails use inline style definitions (i.e. defined in the header) that are applied throughout the email (i.e. to table cells, paragraphs, etc.). The problem is: The styles seem to come through fine when the user first receives the email, but when a user replies or forwards the email, the outlook/word editor seems to generate its own interpretation of those styles which ends up being very different from how they orginally looked. I've seen other HTML based em...

Help !

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Excel chart to Access report
Apologies if this isn't the right forum, but I'm clutching at straws here.... I have a chart which must be created in Excel because the Access chart interface does not (to my knowledge) permit custom error bars. The problem is that I want then to include the graph in an Access report. I can see how, via automation, I can address the chart from code in the Access report. I just don't know how to actually include it, if you get my meaning. I thought placing an unbound OLE object control in the report would be a good start, but I don't seem to be able to move the chart data into...

How do I display search terms in report?
Hi, I would like to know how to include my query parameters into my report. For example, if I search a flower database for "pink" and "blue" I'd like a report which gives me all the corresponding flowers and specifies which for search term each was found. (ie. rose- pink; lilac- blue; etc) Thanks! On the form you use to open the report, create an unbound text box called "txtParameters". Set txtparameters.visible=false Use code to fill in the value of txtparameters as the user chooses what they want a report of. Create a control in the header of your re...

Budget item not showing as 'budgeted' in Monthly Budget Report
When I run my "Monthly Budget" report, it is showing "Bills:Electricity" actual dollars of $212, and budgeted is $0. However, when I go to the budget, my regularly scheduled utility bill is clearly shown as budgeted at $225/month under the Bills:Electricity category, under the "Utilities" budget group. Why isn't the $225 showing up on the budget report in the budgeted column?? -mdb Not sure if this is the same thing, but in an earlier version of money, I had to go to the account setting (from which the bill was paid) and check some box that reference...

Investment Performance Report
I have various investments in diferent countries and consequently exchange rates. How can I make an investment performace report isolating which isolates the investment performance in local currentcy from the currency fluctuation with USD? Thank you. ...

exch 5.5 help

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Macro Help

Date Format #8
Dear friends, Everytime I type the Date of 10 Dec. 2005 as 10/12/2005, it converted to 12/10/2005 and it refused to be modified when I try to adjust it from FormatCells. -- Regards, ------------------------------------------------- Mahmoud Metwally Ali Jaicorp IT Manager Office Tel. : (202) 3471495/361 Mob. : (2010) 5195169 Look in the Control Panel>Regional Settings and make sure that you don't have English (United States) selected. -- HTH Bob Phillips "Mahmoud Metwaly" <m.metwally@jaicorp.com.eg> wrote in message news:OvoRcV$dFHA.3012@tk2msftngp...

help me #2

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

CString help

Your Help is Appreciated