Formatting Rows / Columns of a Report

Ok i am having trouble wrapping my brain around this one.

I have a table, tblTotals, with Fields: Station, WeekEnd, Revenue.
(text, date, number respectively).

The WeekEnd date is always a Friday.  Here is some example data:

ATL     1/9/2009     2000
BWI    1/9/2009     5000
LAX    1/9/2009      8000
ATL    1/16/2009    3500

I need to create a report that is similar to a CrossTab Query in
format.  Not sure if that is possible.
So the Row Headers would be the Stations, and the Column Headers would
be the WeekEnd Dates.

i.e.

          1/9/2009          1/16/2009
ATL     2000               3500
BWI    5000               7000

Is this possible to format in a report?  I know I could, in theory,
use a DLookup function to grab each Revenue amount for the respective
Station and Date, but I don't know how to dynamically build the column
headers for the WeekEnd dates.

Any help would be appreciated.  The CFO here really wants the data to
be in that format...
0
ghetto_banjo

I have a solution for a dynamic monthly crosstab at
http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=5466. You should be able to easilty
adapt this to weekly.

--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

"ghetto_banjo" wrote:

> Ok i am having trouble wrapping my brain around this one.
>
> I have a table, tblTotals, with Fields: Station, WeekEnd, Revenue.
> (text, date, number respectively).
>
> The WeekEnd date is always a Friday.  Here is some example data:
>
> ATL     1/9/2009     2000
> BWI    1/9/2009     5000
> LAX    1/9/2009      8000
> ATL    1/16/2009    3500
>

> I need to create a report that is similar to a CrossTab Query in
> format.  Not sure if that is possible.
> So the Row Headers would be the Stations, and the Column Headers would
> be the WeekEnd Dates.
>
> i.e.
>
>           1/9/2009          1/16/2009
> ATL     2000               3500
> BWI    5000               7000
>

> Is this possible to format in a report?  I know I could, in theory,
> use a DLookup function to grab each Revenue amount for the respective
> Station and Date, but I don't know how to dynamically build the column
> headers for the WeekEnd dates.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.  The CFO here really wants the data to
> be in that format...
> .

Thanks Duane.  I actually found an old access 97 database example that
I believed you designed that shows how to do a dynamic report based on
a crosstab query.  I am still figuring our a couple of things but this
is really what i need!  thanks again!
0
ghetto_banjo
2/2/2010 9:50:15 PM
ghetto_banjo wrote:
>I have a table, tblTotals, with Fields: Station, WeekEnd, Revenue.
>(text, date, number respectively).
>
>The WeekEnd date is always a Friday.  Here is some example data:
>
>ATL     1/9/2009     2000
>BWI    1/9/2009     5000
>LAX    1/9/2009      8000
>ATL    1/16/2009    3500
>
>I need to create a report that is similar to a CrossTab Query in
>format.  Not sure if that is possible.
>So the Row Headers would be the Stations, and the Column Headers would
>be the WeekEnd Dates.
>i.e.
>          1/9/2009          1/16/2009
>ATL     2000               3500
>BWI    5000               7000
>
>Is this possible to format in a report?  I know I could, in theory,
>use a DLookup function to grab each Revenue amount for the respective
>Station and Date, but I don't know how to dynamically build the column
>headers for the WeekEnd dates.

You only need to use a crosstab query.  Instead of pivoting
on the week end date, calculate a relative week number using
an expression like:
	"W" & DateDiff("w", WeekEnd, FirstWeekEndDate))

Then the column header labels can be changed to text boxes
with expressions like:
	=FirstWeekEndDate + 0
	=FirstWeekEndDate + 7
	=FirstWeekEndDate + 14
	 . . .
And the detail section can refer to the 53 fields using the
column names W0,W1, ...,W53

Where you specify the starting week end date is what you
would use to replace my place holder name FirstWeekEndDate.
E.g. if you use a text box on a form to enter the starting
week end date, replace FirstWeekEndDate with something like:
	=Forms!theform.thetextbox

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

"ghetto_banjo" wrote:

> Thanks Duane.  I actually found an old access 97 database example that
> I believed you designed that shows how to do a dynamic report based on
> a crosstab query.  I am still figuring our a couple of things but this
> is really what i need!  thanks again!
> .

negative number format

Freezing rows & columns
I have formatted my sheet perfectly, but when I freeze the appropriat section excel inserts a big line (to show whats frozen) thus disruptin my formatting. Is anyone aware of a means of freezing WITHOUT the line? CHEER ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements You can't hide the "freeze" line. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson So...

Change date format to European format

Formatting just some rows

freezing formatting

how to compare column?
How do I compare colume column A column B column C 22 33 B 22 14 12 3 27 45 B 55 40 How to compare column A with column B, then if B is greater than A, indicate B in column C? Thank you. Put this in C1: =3DIF(B1>A1,"B","") and copy down as required. Hope this helps. Pete On Jan 18, 12:33=A0am, "Able Cox" <no.s...@no.spam.com> wrote: > How do I compare colume > > column A =A0 =A0column B =A0 =A0column C > 22 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A033 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =...

Outlook express columns
Hi In outlook express I've created a sub folder in the Sent Items folders but it shows the column format used by the Inbox folder. If I change the columns it changes the columns for all folders exept Sent Items. How do I set different folders to show different columns ? Thanks Ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=InternetExplorer Good Luck! -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Out...

Negative number formatting

Enforce format

Format Smartlist field

Conditional Formating Help

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

Print report with second page
Hi All, I have a report that we print. We want to be able to print an additional page of data a check box is checked. I have a command button they press now that generates the report. How would I do this so that the report stays as one report with 2 pages. Verses generating 2 seperate reports. Matt -- Matt Campbell mattc (at) saunatec [dot] com Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

How to format the value in a cell?

How to reverse order of rows and columns
September 10, 2005 Hello, all, I've made a big boo-boo in an Excel 2000 spreadsheet, and I can't figure out how to fix it. Can you help? I've created a table with 28 rows and 28 columns, and I've painstakingly typed data into many of the resulting 784 cells. Only now do I realize that the order of the columns is reversed, i.e., what was ABCD needs to be DCBA. Same with the 28 rows, which have slightly different names. You can see the table as it is now by opening or downloading it from http://barelybad.com/eraseme_excel_test01.xls. As you can see, the columns run from N...

Count in a report
Hi, I have a report in Access 2003. The fields are Requestor, Mod and WD. I need a total for all the patients seen by the requestor and to display only the ones that meet the Mod or WD criteria. I can get the report to display the Mod and WD but am having some difficulty getting the total count to work. Thanks, Steve, Your comment: I need a total for all the patients seen by the requestor and to display only the ones that meet the Mod or WD criteria. Response: It seems that there are two criteria here: 1. TOTAL number for patients for the requestor 2. Display / p...

Formatting numbers
Pub2002/XP - how to format numbers in a table - I want it to automatically space for thousands etc and align the numbers correctly ie. 1 650 243 500 etc You will have to do it manually, or copy and paste it from a spreadsheet. -- See if Courier font will do it. Most other fonts do proportional spacing i.e. the letter m is wider than an l. In Courier (maybe teletype, typewriter and a few other fonts) use the same width of space and thus will line up columns from row to row. -- Don Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America! "simonh" <si...

Remove formatting from SSN
I exported some data from an Access database. The Social Security Numbers are in this format: 123-45-6789. I would like to change them all to 123456789. I've tried creating a Custom Format and formatting the cells, but nothing changed. Tried setting the format of a new column, then cutting and pasting or Paste Special into the new cells, but it keeps the old formatting. Is there an answer? Try this in a "helper" column: =TEXT(A1,"000000000") To retain your leading zeroes. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all corres...

Sheets lose formats
I have a file that I created by upgrading from Excel 2003. In 2007 the file saves fine. I had a user complain he didn't have Excel 2007 so I saved as a ..xls file and now everytime I reopen the file all my formating on every sheet is gone. If I reapply the formatting and then save as a .xlsm file, all the formatting stays in the file. Ideas? ...

Change HTML Format to Plain Text Format
We would like to change 500 Outlook XP and 2003 clients to use Plain Text for emails rather than Rich Text or HTML. Is there a registery key I can modify, save and email out to all clients to automatically change the settings If you have any suggestions please let me know Thank Kevin ...