Firstname plus Middlename??

Apologies if this is a silly question. I'm trying to combine Lastname,
Firstname Middlename in a report. I have
=([surname]+", "+[firstname]+" "+[middlename]).
The only time it works is if all three fields contain values. As the
majority of players don't have middle names in the database, most of the
report is blank.
Thanks so much for your help.
Kind regards...

There are several ways including an IIF statement.

=[surname] &", " & IIF([middlename] Is Null OR [middlename] = "",
[firstname], [firstname] & " " & [middlename])

--
Build a little, test a little.

"KG" wrote:

> Apologies if this is a silly question. I'm trying to combine Lastname,
> Firstname Middlename in a report. I have
> =([surname]+", "+[firstname]+" "+[middlename]).
> The only time it works is if all three fields contain values. As the
> majority of players don't have middle names in the database, most of the
> report is blank.
> Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
> Thanks so much for your help.
> Kind regards...
You should be using the & concatenate operator instead of the + operator.

The plus returns blank if any of the values are null (blank/never entered).

The & operator treats nulls as if they were a zero-length string ("") and so
has no problem if any of the fields are blank - other than you may get some
unwanted spaces.

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

KG wrote:
> Apologies if this is a silly question. I'm trying to combine Lastname,
> Firstname Middlename in a report. I have
> =([surname]+", "+[firstname]+" "+[middlename]).
> The only time it works is if all three fields contain values. As the
> majority of players don't have middle names in the database, most of the
> report is blank.
> Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
> Thanks so much for your help.
> Kind regards...
0
John
6/3/2010 6:10:47 PM
Try
=[surname]  & ", " & [firstname] & " " + [middlename]

--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

NOTE: These public News Groups are ending June 1st. Consider asking
questions at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz/threads?

"KG" wrote:

> Apologies if this is a silly question. I'm trying to combine Lastname,
> Firstname Middlename in a report. I have
> =([surname]+", "+[firstname]+" "+[middlename]).
> The only time it works is if all three fields contain values. As the
> majority of players don't have middle names in the database, most of the
> report is blank.
> Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
> Thanks so much for your help.
> Kind regards...
Duane's expression will give a space after the name if there is no middle
name. The expression should be:
=[surname]  & ", " & [firstname]  + (" " & [middlename])

When the plus sign is followed by parantheses, if anything is null inside
the parantheses the whole value inside the parantheses becomes null. Thus,
if there is no middle name, the string ends at firstname and there is no
trailing space.

Steve
santus@penn.com

"Duane Hookom" <duanehookom@NO_SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Try
> =[surname]  & ", " & [firstname] & " " + [middlename]
>
> --
> Duane Hookom
> Microsoft Access MVP
>
> NOTE: These public News Groups are ending June 1st. Consider asking
> questions at
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz/threads?
>

> "KG" wrote:
>
>> Apologies if this is a silly question. I'm trying to combine Lastname,
>> Firstname Middlename in a report. I have
>> =([surname]+", "+[firstname]+" "+[middlename]).
>> The only time it works is if all three fields contain values. As the
>> majority of players don't have middle names in the database, most of the
>> report is blank.
>> Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
>> Thanks so much for your help.
>> Kind regards...

0
Steve
6/3/2010 7:37:36 PM
Thank you so much! As they say, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".
It all is working perfectly.

"John Spencer" wrote:

> You should be using the & concatenate operator instead of the + operator.
>
> The plus returns blank if any of the values are null (blank/never entered).
>
> The & operator treats nulls as if they were a zero-length string ("") and so
> has no problem if any of the fields are blank - other than you may get some
> unwanted spaces.
>
> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
> The Hilltop Institute
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
>
> KG wrote:
> > Apologies if this is a silly question. I'm trying to combine Lastname,
> > Firstname Middlename in a report. I have
> > =([surname]+", "+[firstname]+" "+[middlename]).
> > The only time it works is if all three fields contain values. As the
> > majority of players don't have middle names in the database, most of the
> > report is blank.
> > Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
> > Thanks so much for your help.
> > Kind regards...
> .

Steve,
You have made an error in your expression.

" " & MiddleName will always return at least a space.
The plus sign will see the space and return it.

If you wanted to be safe you could use
[surname]  & ", " & [firstname] & (" " + [middlename])

Although you could still end up with extra spaces if firstName and middlename
are null you would end up with
   Spencer, and a space.  "Spencer, "

Steve wrote:
> Duane's expression will give a space after the name if there is no middle
> name. The expression should be:
> =[surname]  & ", " & [firstname]  + (" " & [middlename])
>
> When the plus sign is followed by parantheses, if anything is null inside
> the parantheses the whole value inside the parantheses becomes null. Thus,
> if there is no middle name, the string ends at firstname and there is no
> trailing space.
>
> Steve
> santus@penn.com
>
> "Duane Hookom" <duanehookom@NO_SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Try
>> =[surname]  & ", " & [firstname] & " " + [middlename]
>>
>> --
>> Duane Hookom
>> Microsoft Access MVP
>>
>> NOTE: These public News Groups are ending June 1st. Consider asking
>> questions at
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz/threads?
>>

>> "KG" wrote:
>>
>>> Apologies if this is a silly question. I'm trying to combine Lastname,
>>> Firstname Middlename in a report. I have
>>> =([surname]+", "+[firstname]+" "+[middlename]).
>>> The only time it works is if all three fields contain values. As the
>>> majority of players don't have middle names in the database, most of the
>>> report is blank.
>>> Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
>>> Thanks so much for your help.
>>> Kind regards...

0
John
6/3/2010 8:30:40 PM
Steve,
Apparently you didn't try my suggestion (or yours) before posting. I tested
both of our expressions. I suggest you also test them.

The whole value inside your parantheses (" " & [middlename]) will never be
null. At the very least, it will be a single space.

--

John Spencer <spencer@chpdm.edu> wrote in

> You should be using the & concatenate operator instead of the +
> operator.
>
> The plus returns blank if any of the values are null (blank/never
> entered).
>
> The & operator treats nulls as if they were a zero-length string
> ("") and so has no problem if any of the fields are blank - other
> than you may get some unwanted spaces.

Put another way, the + operator used with strings propagates Nulls.
That is actually quite useful, and I capitalize on it all the time.
For example:

  Mid(("12"+LastName) & (", "+FirstName), 3)

That will produce correct results when neither field is Null, when
both are Null, and when either is Null and the other is not. It's
much more efficient and easy to read than the nested IIf() tests
that would otherwise be required.

Beware, though, that if a field has a string in it that is coercable
to a numeric value, you may end up with addition instead of
concatenation. For instance, "12"+LastName could produce a numeric
100012 if, for instance, the LastName field contained the string
"100000". This implicit type coercion is often quite helpful, but in
this case, it wouldn't be.

Note that it won't happen in *all* cases -- that very
unpredictability is the reason why you have to be careful with it.

David
6/4/2010 5:42:26 PM

> You have made an error in your expression.
>
> " " & MiddleName will always return at least a space.
> The plus sign will see the space and return it.
>
> If you wanted to be safe you could use
> [surname]  & ", " & [firstname] & (" " + [middlename])
>
> Although you could still end up with extra spaces if firstName and
> middlename are null you would end up with
>    Spencer, and a space.  "Spencer, "

This solves all the possibilities:

  Mid(("12"+[LastName]) & (", "+(Trim([FirstName]
     & (" "+[MiddleName])))),3)

David
6/4/2010 5:52:19 PM
=?Utf-8?B?S0FSTCBERVdFWQ==?= <KARLDEWEY@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:2590B05E-852C-4127-BCC5-E5247B246AFB@microsoft.com:

> There are several ways including an IIF statement.
>
>=[surname] &", " & IIF([middlename] Is Null OR [middlename] = "",
> [firstname], [firstname] & " " & [middlename])

But capitalizing on the Null propagation of the + concatenation
operator can make for something much simpler (and more reliable in
producing proper results):

  Mid(("12"+LastName) & (", "+(Trim(FirstName & (" "+MiddleName)))),
  3)

This handles more combinations of Nulls and non-Nulls than the
formula above.

For what it's worth, I long ago stopped storing middle initial/name
as a separate field, as it's not an independent piece of data. The
only scenario in which it's useful to separate it out is when you
want to construct a salutation field -- "Dear David" is much nicer
than "Dear David W.", of course. But you then gain another problem
because you end up with the ambiguity of where to put data when
someone has more than one candidate middle name/initial.

I instead store a Salutation field so that where the default value
is inappropriate, the user can fill in a proper value. This also
allows for salutations not permanently tied to the name fields, such
as Robert Smith's salutation can be "Dear Bob". To me, structuring
your name storage for the purpose of constructing a saluation field
is a wrong design. A salutation field is sufficiently independent to
get its own data field, and that allows far more flexibility than is
possible with deriving it from the name fields, and also allows the
name storage to be simpler.

David

Outlook plus
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C3B9AA.71002680 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable We've tried Outlook Plus and it doesn't perform as stated on their = website. We have had no replies to any of our emails. We are always = happy to support innovative software development and have demonstrated = this by purchasing a valid user license key, but were a little = dissapointed that this product has not worked although I was charged for = it immediately. We got Outlook plus through ...

Money plus deluxe plus.... MS Money 2006
I have been not as concerned as some about the death of Money Plus Deluxe. However, I noticed that I still have my old MS Money 2006 on this computer. Guess I never took it off when I purchased the new program. I have no problem with simply waiting until Fall and buying Quicken. I'd expect to use the-hoped-for-transfer/download process to transfer data. I don't use my Money program for high detail, but rather just as a big check book with some quick research and reporting tools. Am I missing something here? Should I NOW be re-opening MS Money 2006 and doing a transfer backwar...

Money Plus not activated for just one Vista user
I posted a message over two hours ago and it never appeared. Sorry if this turns out to be a duplicate. I recently installed and activated Money Plus Deluxe after using the demo. The problem is that when I run it under my normal, restricted Vista account the program reports that it needs to be activated. I reactivate the program under that account and am told that it was successful, but the next time I start the program it reports that it needs to be activated again. The problem does not occur for other accounts on the computer. It only happens on the one Vista account that I actu...

Bugs in MS Money Plus (premium)?
Hello, I just (regrettably for the second time) upgraded MS Money, from MS Money 2007 to the current version. Though I cannot tell what the difference is (no visible difference in features), I thought perhaps this version would be at least 'less buggy'. However, from the start (login) I have seen numerous bugs. Does anyone have a list of known issues? Three that I encountered immediately: 1) logging in, I get an error message that my password is incorrect (even though it is), and upon second try it lets me in. 2) when clicking on the 'budget' icon in the toolbar, I g...

Address Book: FirstName LastName 2 LastName FirstName
Outlook 2003 When my Address Book displays, the names are listed in alpha order accourding to first names. How do I get it to display in alpha order by last names? Thanks Ken Ken Isaacson wrote: > Outlook 2003 > > When my Address Book displays, the names are listed in alpha order > accourding to first names. How do I get it to display in alpha order > by last names? > > Thanks > Ken Tools, e-mail accounts, view or change existing directories or address books <next>, select Outlook Address Book, press Change, and click "file as" in "show name...

Money Plus Home & Business
How many PCs can I install Money Plus Home & Business on? I'd like to test it out on a spare PC before I start using it on my primary PC. Thanks, -- ~ Kathleen Anderson Microsoft MVP - FrontPage Spider Web Woman Designs Expression Web Resources: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/xweb/ FrontPage Resources: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/ Please reply to the newsgroup for the benefit of others In microsoft.public.money, Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FrontPage] wrote: >How many PCs can I install Money Plus Home & Business on? I'd like to test >it out on a spare PC...

Outlook 2003 AutoComplete Firstname.Lastname doesn't remember
All, We've just switched our username conventions to Firstname.Lastname@domain.com, but for whatever reason Outlook 2003 will not AutoComplete these new email addresses even after you've sent email to a certain receipent. For whatever reason it doesn't enter this info into the .nk2 files for future autocompletes. Anybody having this issue too? We are in a w2003 server envorioment running Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2003. This is happening to over 10,000 Outlook Clients. Thanks! jwhiteuwc <jwhiteuwc@gmail.com> wrote: > We've just switched our username convention...

Address Book / Contacts
A customer with Outlook 2003 is reporting that some of his Address Book entries are listed as Firstname Surname, even though he has configured Address Book to display all entries as Surname, Firstname. I've checked and Address Book's "File As" field for an affected entry is configured as Surname, Firstname. However the name is still displayed in the list of contacts as Firstname Surname, though alphabetically sorted by surname. The majority of names are displayed as Surname, Firstname. If the person is chosen as the "To" for an email, it is displayed as Surn...

Convert 8 digits to leading alpha plus 6 digits following?
I finally worked this out (I'm very much a dummy with any type o formula!) although I'm sure someone else may have a better solution. I'll post the IF statement here in case someone else is attempting similar exercise and they may be able to adapt this. My 8 digit number appear in Column F and start in Row 2: =IF(LEFT(F2,1)="1","a"&MID(F2,2,6),IF(LEFT(F2,1)="2","b"&MID(F2,2,6),IF(LEFT(F2,1)="3","c"&MID(F2,2,6),IF(LEFT(F2,1)="4","d"&MID(F2,2,6),IF(LEFT(F2,1)="5","e"...

option quotes with plus(+) signs
I can't download prices for stock options that have a plus sign in front (a change made by the stock exchanges). If I change the symbol the server I download from won't recognize it. How can I correct this problem? In microsoft.public.money, robertbrand wrote: >I can't download prices for stock options that have a plus sign in front (a >change made by the stock exchanges). If I change the symbol the server I >download from won't recognize it. How can I correct this problem? You can't, unfortunately. ...

Excel 2003
Hi - quick question, if you have a moment - I've got a (tall) column of names of the format: FirstName LastName I want to convert them to the format: LastName, FirstName Is this possible in Excel 2003? Thanks very much - Assume they start in A1, insert a new column B or use the one you have if it is empty, then in B1 put =MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,255)&", "&LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1) press enter Select B1 again, move the cursor to the lower right corner of B1 and when it changes from a thick cross to a think double click and copy down the formula. S...

Money Plus Premium
Just installed M+ Premium on Windows 7 (64 bit) OS. I have Money 2003 installed on the old computer running Windows XP. Copied my money.mny file from Money 2003 on old computer to documents folder on Windows 7/M+ computer and started the M+ Premium program. It prompted me for password and brought up "converting file" screen. Program then stops responding. Is there a way to get my data file from Money 2003 converted to use with M+ Premium? Thanks. Bob In microsoft.public.money, bobinwa wrote: >Just installed M+ Premium on Windows 7 (64 bit) OS. I have Money 2003...

Installation of Microsoft Office Pro Plus 2007 on Windows 7
When I start up Word, Office tries to configure itself, then I get the message "Microsoft Office Word has not been installed for the current user. Please run setup to install the application." I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2007 various times. It sometimes works for a while, then I get the message as described above. At one point, it would work with any Administrator account but not a Standard account. Operating System: Windows 7 Pro Please help. Thanks. The next time an Office component wants to re-install itself, let the process complete. Then, ...

valid FirstName value
Hello everyone, Anyone know how to search for a valid FirstName in a field? eg.: Himansu Rich Anna Tom .... I don't want junk like this: AA, 0, "Himansu" 'Rich' Any assisatance will be greatly appreciated. Have a nice evening. Thanks, Himansu How about "Gert-Jan"? //Peter "Himansu" <himansu114@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u3#lXzwZKHA.6028@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hello everyone, > > Anyone know how to search for a valid FirstName in a field? > > eg.: > Himansu > Rich ...

switching from Oneright plus
I am a user of One Right Plus (www.oneright.com) and like to switch to Microsoft Money. I found there was no utility to export my records from one right plus to money. Is there any 3rd party that provide such utility? Thank you. ...

Hotmail Plus in Outlook
Hello: I am thinking to use Hotmail Plus to use in Outlook 2003, but If I don't configure the Hotmail account to Received the message when I push F9, can I receive immediately only the Heads when I do click with the Mouse in the Inbox of Hotmail, similar to the newsgroups in Outlook Express when I go to any group and I only receive the Heads? -- Miguel M. Yal´┐Żn http://mmyv.com -- Miguel <responderalgrupo@invalid.invalid> wrote: > I am thinking to use Hotmail Plus to use in Outlook 2003, but If I > don't configure the Hotmail account to Received the message when I...

Money Plus Deluxe #4
I converted from Quicken. My first backup worked. Now when I try to backup, the program goes through everything up to compressing the file. At that point it shuts down with the msg.: "Money has encountered a problem and needs to shut down". What do I do now? I've added a lot of things since the first, successful backup (5/22), so I'm not prepared to go back to it. In microsoft.public.money, HaLeBu wrote: >I converted from Quicken. My first backup worked. Now when I try to backup, >the program goes through everything up to compressing the file. At that point >...

Outlook replication changes valid email to lastname firstname
CRM 4.0, Outlook 2007, CRM Outlook Online Client with latest Rollup. When some users are sync contact information between Outlook and CRM, sync changes email address firstname.lastname@company.com in CRM to format lastname firstname. Not happen to all users. One reason can be there are also mobile sync between Outlook (Exchange) and mobile phone. But this is also used by many users and only some have problems. It is look like email is populated with Outlook display value, not the real email. Any ideas what setting (and where) is not right? Jukka Majander ...

Change Trim from LastName to FirstName
I am tring to change the Trim From Last Name to FirstName with out much success! Dim recOwnersInfo As New ADODB.Recordset recOwnersInfo.Open "SELECT OwnerID,IIf(isnull(tblOwnerInfo.OwnerTitle),'',tblOwnerInfo.OwnerTitle & ' ') & " _ & "IIf(isnull(tblOwnerInfo.OwnerLastName),'',trim(Left(tblOwnerInfo.OwnerLastName,21)) & ', ') & " _ & "IIf(isnull(tblOwnerInfo.OwnerFirstName),'',tblOwnerInfo.OwnerFirstName) AS Name, " _ ...

Converting to FirstName LastName
I have a spreadsheet in Excel 2003 that includes a column of names in "LastName, FirstName" format. I need for it to be in "FirstName LastName" order. How can I do that without manually typing all 300 names? Text to Columns? Do you only have 2 names for each person? Recombine the names in the order after you swap the columns: use =3DA2&B2&C2 ... etc where A2 is the first name and the others the rest. Regards Robert McCurdy "mcp6453" <mcp6453@gmail.com> wrote in message = news:e$7cAQlMJHA.5428@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I have a spreadsheet i...

TechNet Plus! and RMS
Hello, I received today over 50 CD's and a great case for them. It appears to be a subscription to Microsoft TechNet Plus! It this part of the Standard A benefits? We have just re enrolled for RMS and this is why I ask. Thank You, Ai Ling Loh I don't think they are yours. >-----Original Message----- >Hello, > >I received today over 50 CD's and a great case for them. >It appears to be a subscription to Microsoft TechNet Plus! > >It this part of the Standard A benefits? >We have just re enrolled for RMS and this is why I ask. > >Thank You, >A...

Money Plus Cost Basis
I have some mutual funds setup in Money that were purchased as systematic investments. Each purchase was recorded with the purchase price. I recently sold some shares and need he cost basis information for tax purposes. Any one know how to get Money to show me the cost basis for this sale? Thanks, Mark Run a "Capital Gains" report - current year. "Mark" <MarknRonni@verizon.net> wrote in message news:uLJ0Z%23dIKHA.1684@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I have some mutual funds setup in Money that were purchased as systematic >investments. Each purchase was...

Hiding a zero Value plus 0.2
I am using this formula, =CELL("contents",C18)*24+0.2, and in the blank cell it puts 0.2 Is there anyway that the cell can be left blank until I enter data into the referenced (c18) cell? Thanks in advance for your help. Miles Reed Hi Miles, =IF(C18="","",CELL("contents",C18)*24+0.2) -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel <milesreed2@aol.com> wrote in message news:2f2601c4c119$f84e9820$a601280a@phx.gbl... >I am using this formula, =CELL("contents",C18)*24+0.2, > and in the blank cell it puts 0.2 Is there ...

Schedule C Worksheet no longer working in Money Plus Home & Business
Hi this is my first post, I purchased Microsoft Money Plus Home & Business and I am very pleased with the product overall. However I am having a weird issue with a certain function of the application under Taxes. The issue is specifically with the "Schedule C Worksheet". This was working back in January when I was doing my taxes, however I just recently went back in and checked the data and nothing is coming up for the current year or the previous year. I was able to pull a backup of the Money file from January using Mozy, and that still shows the data as being fine. So som...

Distribution Groups: restrict to Authenticated Users plus named others?
Hi all For historical and research reasons, our organization has some users whose email is handled outside our Exchange server. I'd like these users to be able to mail to Exchange DGs without opening the DGs up to the whole Internet, but restricting the DG to Authenticated Users prevents these colleagues mailing to the DG. Is there a way of specifying, for example, Authenticated Users plus specified (external) addresses in the Message Restrictions section of Exchange General? It doesn't seem to like me adding Domain Users or similar, although I can specify other groups I've cre...