Find path where WinZip is installed

Is there a way that I can determine the full path of an application like
WinZip.  If possible, I'd like to start with as little information as
possible, (Example WinZip).

rdemyan

On Apr 16, 9:27=A0am, "rdemyan via AccessMonster.com" <u6836@uwe> wrote:
> Is there a way that I can determine the full path of an application like
> WinZip. =A0If possible, I'd like to start with as little information as
> possible, (Example WinZip).

ms.aspx/access-reports/201004/1

Click on start --> programs --> find win zip, right click on win zip,
click properties.
0
Richard
4/17/2010 6:58:59 PM
Take a look at what Randy Birch has at
http://vbnet.mvps.org/code/system/findexecutable.htm

If you change the line of code

success = FindExecutable("winhlp32.hlp", "c:\winnt\system32\", sResult)

to point to a known Zip file, like

success = FindExecutable("MyFile.zip", "C:\SomeFolder", sResult)

then sResult will contain the path to winzip32.exe

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"rdemyan via AccessMonster.com" <u6836@uwe> wrote in message
> Is there a way that I can determine the full path of an application like
> WinZip.  If possible, I'd like to start with as little information as
> possible, (Example WinZip).

Douglas
4/17/2010 8:57:11 PM
Oops. Just noticed I was missing the final slash on the folder:

"Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote in message
> Take a look at what Randy Birch has at
> http://vbnet.mvps.org/code/system/findexecutable.htm
>
> If you change the line of code
>
> success = FindExecutable("winhlp32.hlp", "c:\winnt\system32\", sResult)
>
> to point to a known Zip file, like
>
> success = FindExecutable("MyFile.zip", "C:\SomeFolder", sResult)
>
> then sResult will contain the path to winzip32.exe
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no private e-mails, please)
>

> "rdemyan via AccessMonster.com" <u6836@uwe> wrote in message
>> Is there a way that I can determine the full path of an application like
>> WinZip.  If possible, I'd like to start with as little information as
>> possible, (Example WinZip).
>>
>> --

Douglas
4/18/2010 3:06:27 PM
Thanks, Doug.  My App uses WinZip to upload zipped files to an ftp site.  I
recently purchased a new computer which is 64 bit.  Programs are stored in
the folder Program Files (x86) and not Program Files.  Since  my code has a
hard coded reference to the path (which was presumed to be Program Files), my
program can no longer find WinZip.

I had forgotten that My App has this vulnerability.  I wish there was another
way to find WinZip than what you suggest, since it requires knowing the file
name of a zip file on the user's computer.  I've decided to start storing the
full path in a local table.  If MyApp can't find it, it will ask the user to
locate WinZip via File Search code.  Then Myapp will store the full path for
future use.

However, I would prefer to be able to find it in code.

Also, what happens when WinZip32 becomes Winzip64??

Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>Oops. Just noticed I was missing the final slash on the folder:
>
>success = FindExecutable("MyFile.zip", "C:\SomeFolder\", sResult)
>
>> Take a look at what Randy Birch has at
>> http://vbnet.mvps.org/code/system/findexecutable.htm
>[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
>>> WinZip.  If possible, I'd like to start with as little information as
>>> possible, (Example WinZip).

rdemyan
4/19/2010 11:55:51 AM
AFAIK, the API call will detect the currently registered application for the
..zip extension whether it's WinZip32 or WinZip64.

You should be able to simply write out a dummy file with the .zip extension
and find the registered application using that dummy file: I believe the API
call strictly looks at the file name, not whether it's a valid file.

Another option, of course, is to go speleunking through the HKCR section of
the registry.

--

> Thanks, Doug.  My App uses WinZip to upload zipped files to an ftp site.
> recently purchased a new computer which is 64 bit.  Programs are stored in
> the folder Program Files (x86) and not Program Files.  Since  my code has
> hard coded reference to the path (which was presumed to be Program Files),
> my
> program can no longer find WinZip.
>
> I had forgotten that My App has this vulnerability.  I wish there was
> another
> way to find WinZip than what you suggest, since it requires knowing the
> file
> name of a zip file on the user's computer.  I've decided to start storing
> the
> full path in a local table.  If MyApp can't find it, it will ask the user
> locate WinZip via File Search code.  Then Myapp will store the full path
> for
> future use.
>
> However, I would prefer to be able to find it in code.
>
> Also, what happens when WinZip32 becomes Winzip64??
>

> Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>>Oops. Just noticed I was missing the final slash on the folder:
>>
>>success = FindExecutable("MyFile.zip", "C:\SomeFolder\", sResult)
>>
>>> Take a look at what Randy Birch has at
>>> http://vbnet.mvps.org/code/system/findexecutable.htm
>>[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]

Douglas
4/19/2010 5:53:28 PM
Oh, OK.  If the API doesn't care if it is a valid zip file, then that should
work fine.  I'll give it a go and report back.

Thanks.

Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>AFAIK, the API call will detect the currently registered application for the
>.zip extension whether it's WinZip32 or WinZip64.
>
>You should be able to simply write out a dummy file with the .zip extension
>and find the registered application using that dummy file: I believe the API
>call strictly looks at the file name, not whether it's a valid file.
>
>Another option, of course, is to go speleunking through the HKCR section of
>the registry.
>
>> Thanks, Doug.  My App uses WinZip to upload zipped files to an ftp site.
>[quoted text clipped - 30 lines]

rdemyan
4/20/2010 12:38:01 AM
It turns out that the API requires a file that exists.  Not only that, but
the path folder must also be accurate.

I guess I could try to create a zip file in code in the CurrentProject.Path
folder, get the location of WinZip and then save that location to a local
table within MyApp.  Before this code is invoked,  I'll have code that checks
to make sure Winzip exists based on the path currently stored in the table.
If not, then the code to create the dummy WinZip file will be invoked and the
API will be called to get the location of WinZip.  Afterwards, the dummy zip
file will be deleted.

rdemyan wrote:
>Oh, OK.  If the API doesn't care if it is a valid zip file, then that should
>work fine.  I'll give it a go and report back.
>
>Thanks.
>
>>AFAIK, the API call will detect the currently registered application for the
>>.zip extension whether it's WinZip32 or WinZip64.
>[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]

rdemyan

Error while installing CRM 3.0 02-01-07
i recieve an error while installing the msxml 4.0 hotfix that comes with the CRM 3.0 installation steps , the error message was "This KB887606_42 is for a different hardware platform" and my operating system is windows 2003 x64 ...

Find Duplicate names and delate

Installation files
I bought Money 2006 Deluxe earlier this year after downloading the trial version online. Yesterday my computer crashed and I had to reinstall Windows. Is there any way I can get the files necessary to reinstall Money? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, Kirill wrote: >I bought Money 2006 Deluxe earlier this year after downloading the trial >version online. Yesterday my computer crashed and I had to reinstall Windows. >Is there any way I can get the files necessary to reinstall Money? Thanks. You can download and install the Money 2006 trial version. When Money uses a file with ...

Windows Vista (KB972145) Fail Installation Error Code 80070020
When attempting to instal the Windows Vista (KB972145) I get an installation Failure Status with an error code 80070020. Any suggestions? Miss Mollie wrote: :: When attempting to instal the Windows Vista (KB972145) I get an :: installation Failure Status with an error code 80070020. Any :: suggestions? Some suggestions here: You receive error 0x80070020 when you use the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site to install updates http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883825 -- TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services http://taurarian.mvps.org ==============...

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Finding a Median

Upgrade path questions from 9 to 2010
We are wanting to upgrade 9.00.0371 to GP 2010. We want to upgrade from a 2003 server running sql 2005 to to a new server (2008 R2) running SQL08. I went by the upgrade document, followed all the steps, upgrade scripts to check the tables, etc. I moved the GP9 databases to the new server running sql08. Went through the gp 2010 install ok. Loaded the hotfix, then started GP Utilities. I then get the question about transferring security of which I answer with no. The next screen errors out with a stored procedure initializeDB_upgrade() of form duSQLInstall:95: Pass Through SQ...

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Installing a new HD in a Dell that doesn't have a HD. Was: Who has the license for XP, he or I?
As I said in a previous thread, a friend gave me a DELL Inspiron 9600 without the hard drive. It has the Product Key on the side, and it came with XP Pro** SP1, but so far my friend hasn't found the original OEM Dell reinstallation CD. I found one that is for XP Pro, but it's SP2, not SP1. Will it still work? Thanks for your help. **For some reason I thought it had had XP Home on it. BTW, I learned a lot in the previous thread about the ease and difficulties of taking a Dell Ccomputer without a hard drive and fixing it up. New questions and possible proble...

Problem in installing file system driver
Hi, I am not able to install my .sys file filter driver.I have written .inf file and while installing this inf file its not giving any error also.Plz help me in solving this. my file filter driver file name is : *****************Here is My .inf file ******************************* [Version] Signature="$Chicago$" Class=MyDriver ClassGuid={286E934F-962E-4e1c-9729-1F65205A094F} Provider=%ADITI% DriverVer=01/22/2004,1.11.1111 [ClassInstall32] Addreg=MyDriverReg [MyDriverReg] HKR,,,,%DisplayClassName% HKR,,Icon,,"-5" [Manufacturer] %ADITI%="Aditi" [SourceDisk...

Find (but not find)

Finding an event

cannot find database

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

I cant install mesenger
Hi...! I have a seriously problem... When im installing messenger it says: Instalation failed, Error %APPDATA%.... i have tried everything but i cant and i have the same problem when i want to install iTunes, Java and other programs..! I need help..! I really dont know what to do..!:confused: -- ElmerCampos Greetings Elmer, It sounds like something has misconfigured your system. Is that the entire error, or is there more to it (in which case, knowing what it is would be helpful). There's a similar issue which causes Messenger to "forget" saved username an...

How do I find the out of office reply?

Second request
I'm trying to install a purchased version of Dynamics MSPOS 2.0 but keep getting a 'DB Connection Lost' error message when it gets to the step to build a Sample database. I first tried to completely uninstall the Trial Version using Add/ Remove Programs since the person who installed it no longer works for the company and nobody knew the password. Everything uninstalled okay except for the SQL MSPOSINSTANCE. For some reason it won't allow itself to be removed. Is my problem cause because MSPOSINSTANCE is still running somewhere? I just want to start with a clean slate and in...

help installing microsoft office home and student
Version: 2008 I just brought a brand new macbook (white). I already have microsoft office 2008 student and home edition but have left the cd at home in Australia with my family. I'm trying to install it on my macbook - I have the product key but can't seem to find where I can download it online. I don't want to have to purchase it again as I only just brought it in July last year. Can someone help me with where I can find it online to download - everything is upgrades. thanks. jessica82@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 > > I just brought a brand new macbook (whit...

Exchange 2003 restore /disasterrecovery is asking for existing 5.5 installation password?
Hi all, We are currently doing some disaster recovery testing where I am attempting to restore a backup of our exchange 2003 server from tape to a server of different hardware. Now when I run the exchange 2003 /disasterrecovery I get the following error: Service Account Assign Service Account Information The Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services component requires a user name, domain and password for the existing Exchange 5.5 installation Service Account. Type the information in the fields below. Now originally the username field had ExchAdmin in it, but now,...

use port number for the sql server? while installing CRM 3.0
when installing Microsoft CRM 3.0, can we use port number for the sql server? Responded to on the CRM Deployment forum. -- Rgds Michael MCDBA 2000 | MCITP DBA 2005 "Amit - Techtrends" wrote: > when installing Microsoft CRM 3.0, > can we use port number for the sql server? ...