Expression error

I'm getting the following error:
This expression is typed incorrectly, or it is too complex to be evaluated.
For example, a numeric expression may contain too many complicated elements.
Try simplifying the expression by assigning parts of the expression to
variables. (Error 3071)

I'm using the follwing expression in the query:
Total Handle Time: Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign Out Time],[Sign In Time]))\3600 &
":" & Format((Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign Out Time],[Sign In Time])) Mod
3600)\60,"00")

What am I missing?

I don't see the point of the Sum function.  Also, I think Mod is for VBA
only.  What exactly do you wish to see for the output?

"Whitney" <Whitney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm getting the following error:
> This expression is typed incorrectly, or it is too complex to be
> evaluated.
> For example, a numeric expression may contain too many complicated
> elements.
> Try simplifying the expression by assigning parts of the expression to
> variables. (Error 3071)
>
> I'm using the follwing expression in the query:
> Total Handle Time: Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign Out Time],[Sign In Time]))\3600
> &
> ":" & Format((Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign Out Time],[Sign In Time])) Mod
> 3600)\60,"00")
>
> What am I missing?

0
BruceM
2/6/2008 9:19:40 PM
It was a resolution I was given back in December, see response chain...

Shouldn't that be

Avg(DateDiff("s",[Sign In Time],[Sign out Time]))\60 & ":" &
Format(Avg(DateDiff("s",[Sign In Time],[Sign out Time])) Mod 60,"00")

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"John Spencer" <spencer@chpdm.umbc> wrote in message
> Use the DateDiff function
>
> DateDiff("s",[Sign In Time],[Sign out Time])
>
> The average would be
> Avg(DateDiff("s",[Sign In Time],[Sign out Time]))
>
> To DISPLAY that in minutes and seconds
> Avg(DateDiff("s",[Sign In Time],[Sign out Time])) is Seconds
>
> Avg(DateDiff("s",[Sign In Time],[Sign out Time]))\60
>  is minutes
>
> So putting that all together.
>
> Avg(DateDiff("s",[Sign In Time],[Sign out Time]))\60 & ":" &
> Format(Avg(DateDiff("s",[Sign In Time],[Sign out Time])),"00")
>
> Total handle time
> Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign In Time],[Sign out Time]))
>
> Expressing that as hours and minutes
>
> Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign In Time],[Sign out Time]))\3600 & ":" &
> Format((Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign In Time],[Sign out Time])) Mod 3600)
> \60,"00")
>
> '====================================================
>  John Spencer
>  Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
>  Center for Health Program Development and Management
>  University of Maryland Baltimore County
> '====================================================
>

> Whitney wrote:
>> In the query I have the following:
>> Handle Time: [Sign In Time]-[Sign Out Time]
>>
>> Example:
>> Sign In Time 7:00:00 AM - Sign Out Time 6:00:00 AM = Total Handle Time
>> 1:00
>>
>> Now if I divide that by the number processed 22 = 02:44 (nn:ss) Average
>> Handle Time per email.
>>
>> However, when I run the report for a longer date range, the Total Handle
>> Time exceeds a 24 hour period, so I have to use the expression below to
>> show total hours. When I use this expression, the Average Handle Time
>> gives an error. Is there a way to have it reference the sum of the Total
>> Handle Time and then divide it by the number processed?
>>
>> "Klatuu" wrote:
>>
>>> How do you do that?
>>> The DateDiff function only returns one value,  Years, Months, Weeks,
>>> Days, Hours, Minutes, or Seconds.  It will not return both.
>>>
>>> If you can post the code where you populate the field.  And the data
>>> type of the field, I will be happy to help.
>>> --
>>> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

I'm trying to calculating an averge handle time using total number of
processed emails divided by the total handle time. However, since the time
could be longer than 24 hours, I'm using the following expression
=Int(CSng(Sum([Handle Time])*24)) & ":" & Int(CSng(Sum([Handle
Time])*1440))-Int(CSng(Sum([Handle Time])*24))*60 & ":" &
Int(CSng(Sum([Handle Time])*86400))-Int(CSng(Sum([Handle Time])*1440))*60
This is causing the average field to have an error. How can I correct that?

Additionally, I would like the total handle time to be in an hh:nn format,
but it won't save. It keeps changing back to Short Time, which displays
hh:nn:s. Is there any way to correct this?

Whitney wrote:

>I'm getting the following error:
>This expression is typed incorrectly, or it is too complex to be evaluated.
>For example, a numeric expression may contain too many complicated elements.
>Try simplifying the expression by assigning parts of the expression to
>variables. (Error 3071)
>
>I'm using the follwing expression in the query:
>Total Handle Time: Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign Out Time],[Sign In Time]))\3600 &
>":" & Format((Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign Out Time],[Sign In Time])) Mod
>3600)\60,"00")
>
>What am I missing?

It looks ok to me.

OTTH, it shouldn't make any difference, but I would write it
this way:

DateDiff("n", Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign Out Time],[Sign In
Time]))\60 & Format((Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign Out Time],[Sign
In Time])) Mod 60), "\:00")

Double check to make sure the time fields really are
Date/Time type.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

"Marshall Barton" wrote:

> Whitney wrote:
>
> >I'm getting the following error:
> >This expression is typed incorrectly, or it is too complex to be evaluated.
> >For example, a numeric expression may contain too many complicated elements.
> >Try simplifying the expression by assigning parts of the expression to
> >variables. (Error 3071)
> >
> >I'm using the follwing expression in the query:
> >Total Handle Time: Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign Out Time],[Sign In Time]))\3600 &
> >":" & Format((Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign Out Time],[Sign In Time])) Mod
> >3600)\60,"00")
> >
> >What am I missing?
>

> It looks ok to me.
>
> OTTH, it shouldn't make any difference, but I would write it
> this way:
>
> DateDiff("n", Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign Out Time],[Sign In
> Time]))\60 & Format((Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign Out Time],[Sign
> In Time])) Mod 60), "\:00")
>
> Double check to make sure the time fields really are
> Date/Time type.
>
> --
> Marsh
> MVP [MS Access]

Let's try it with fewer copy/paste fumbles:

Sum(DateDiff("n",[Sign Out Time],[Sign In Time]))\60 &
Format(Sum(DateDiff("n",[Sign Out Time],[Sign In Time])) Mod
60, "\:00")
--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Whitney wrote:
>Now I'm getting an error that says it's missing a closing parenthesis,
>bracket or vertical bar, so I added a third closing parenthesis after the
>first Sign In Time, but then I get a message that it has a function
>containing the wrong number of arguments.
>
>"Marshall Barton" wrote:
>
>> Whitney wrote:
>>
>> >I'm getting the following error:
>> >This expression is typed incorrectly, or it is too complex to be evaluated.
>> >For example, a numeric expression may contain too many complicated elements.
>> >Try simplifying the expression by assigning parts of the expression to
>> >variables. (Error 3071)
>> >
>> >I'm using the follwing expression in the query:
>> >Total Handle Time: Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign Out Time],[Sign In Time]))\3600 &
>> >":" & Format((Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign Out Time],[Sign In Time])) Mod
>> >3600)\60,"00")
>> >
>> >What am I missing?
>>

>> It looks ok to me.
>>
>> OTTH, it shouldn't make any difference, but I would write it
>> this way:
>>
>> DateDiff("n", Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign Out Time],[Sign In
>> Time]))\60 & Format((Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign Out Time],[Sign
>> In Time])) Mod 60), "\:00")
>>
>> Double check to make sure the time fields really are
>> Date/Time type.

0
Marshall
2/7/2008 4:58:35 AM
Thank you that worked.

Now I have two additional questions.
#1 On the report I'm trying to sum the Total Handle Time. On the detail
footer I added a field with =sum([Total Handle Time]). I get the message that
the expression is too complex. I have several other sums set up the same way
and they are fine, however this is the only time field. All others are just
numbers.

#2 I would also like to get an Average Handle Time, by dividing Total Handle
Time by the number Processed. Using the following expression =sum([Total
Handle Time]/[Processed]) I get the same error that it's too complex in
either the query or the report.

What am I missing?

"Whitney" wrote:

> Now I'm getting an error that says it's missing a closing parenthesis,
> bracket or vertical bar, so I added a third closing parenthesis after the
> first Sign In Time, but then I get a message that it has a function
> containing the wrong number of arguments.
>
> "Marshall Barton" wrote:
>
> > Whitney wrote:
> >
> > >I'm getting the following error:
> > >This expression is typed incorrectly, or it is too complex to be evaluated.
> > >For example, a numeric expression may contain too many complicated elements.
> > >Try simplifying the expression by assigning parts of the expression to
> > >variables. (Error 3071)
> > >
> > >I'm using the follwing expression in the query:
> > >Total Handle Time: Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign Out Time],[Sign In Time]))\3600 &
> > >":" & Format((Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign Out Time],[Sign In Time])) Mod
> > >3600)\60,"00")
> > >
> > >What am I missing?
> >

> > It looks ok to me.
> >
> > OTTH, it shouldn't make any difference, but I would write it
> > this way:
> >
> > DateDiff("n", Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign Out Time],[Sign In
> > Time]))\60 & Format((Sum(DateDiff("s",[Sign Out Time],[Sign
> > In Time])) Mod 60), "\:00")
> >
> > Double check to make sure the time fields really are
> > Date/Time type.
> >
> > --
> > Marsh
> > MVP [MS Access]

Whitney wrote:nk you that worked.
>Now I have two additional questions.
>#1 On the report I'm trying to sum the Total Handle Time. On the detail
>footer I added a field with =sum([Total Handle Time]). I get the message that
>the expression is too complex. I have several other sums set up the same way
>and they are fine, however this is the only time field. All others are just
>numbers.
>
>#2 I would also like to get an Average Handle Time, by dividing Total Handle
>Time by the number Processed. Using the following expression =sum([Total
>Handle Time]/[Processed]) I get the same error that it's too complex in
>either the query or the report.

I can't tell from that.  In general, that kind of issue can
be difficult to track down.  It often goes all the way bacj
to the report's record source query.

The only common problem similar to that (but I think it has
a different message) is trying to use an aggregate funtion
on a control instead of a field in the record source
table/query.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

#value! Error
From a drop down list of 15 names in A2, B1 returns a value of 1-1 depending on which name selected. The idea is to show in column D the names of upto 24 players, the nam chosen in A2 has played. I use the following formula. ( a nested IF only allows 7 options??) =IF($B$1=1,I2,0)+IF($B$1=2,L2,0)+IF($B$1=3,O2,0)+IF($B$1=4,R2,0)+IF($B$1=5,U2,0)+IF($B$1=6,X2,0)+IF($B$1=7,AA2,0)+IF($B$1=8,AD2,0 & so on to +IF($B$1=15,AW2,0) This formula is repeated 24 times D4 through D27 to return text fro cell reference I2, L2, O2 & so on. It returns always returns #value! if I change text to numbers i...

Distribution List error #2
I have Exchange running as part of a Small Biz Server. When we try to create a DL of external address's (like 180 addresses) we get an error saying that we have exceeded the max size of the DL. I can't find anything that provides any indication of a limit such as this. Thanks again, Mark Semans 180 certainly isn't the limit of a multi-valued attribute in AD.... Did you try creating another DL to confirm it wasn't specific to that particular object? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog -------------------------...

Anyone getting error after running the Payroll tax update code?
We just ran the payroll tax update (Round 4) which included a code change. Now when we go to print from the Financial Summary window or a GL Trail Balance we get the following error message: Mem_Bad_Pointer. When the report prints the account number is garbled and then it knocks you out of GP. Anyone else getting this or have any ideas? -- Phil It's a known issue. You need to reimport your modified reports into new report dictionaries. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Phil" wrote: > We just ran the payroll tax update (Round 4) which included a code change. > Now wh...

Converting email from outlook express to outlook 2003
I recently purchased microsoft office professional edition 2003 with outlook 2003. I previously had outlook express. My email is still going to outlook express. How do I get it to go to outlook 2003? Tony <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I recently purchased microsoft office professional > edition 2003 with outlook 2003. I previously had outlook > express. My email is still going to outlook express. > How do I get it to go to outlook 2003? Set up Outlook. Create your account so that its properties match the account in OE. Then, open your Internet Op...

Send/Recieve error getting out of hand
I keep getting the following error every time I send a message. I'm using outlook 2003/Exchnage 2003 on win2k3 server. Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server - Receiving' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation failed. An object could not be found.' I've looked it up in the KB and all I've found states that it is an error from using outlook 2000, which has never been in stalled on this machine. I'm getting this on a few other machines in my organization, can anyone tell me what's going on. I'm up to date on all my patches and service packs. Thank...

No Attribute Error
i have a tab delimited file containing records i intend to use as leads in CRM v1.2. i have customized the lead form a bit (added a few fields to the schema, published, etc.) when i run the import wizard, everything seems to be running smoothly, ie, i line up the fields from my tab file with the appropriate crm fields, and click import. i keep getting the error (No Attribute) i can't seem to find any help on why this error would come up. i have removed constraints from all fields on the leads form(s) but keep getting this error when tyring to import even single record. Anyone ...

outlook express #70
I saved emails from my previous computer from Outlook Express on CD. I am running the identical program on my new computer and I cannot get my emails to load on this computers Outlook Express. Could you help me to get these emails off my CD. "Joni Clark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:070001c3aa4f$f15ce080$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I saved emails from my previous computer from Outlook > Express on CD. I am running the identical program on my > new computer and I cannot get my emails to load on this > computers Outlook Express. Could you...

Macros error

HTTP Virtual Server Error
Hi All. I have a problem with my exchange server. We run outlook web access from the server and the HTTP virtual server has been stopped, when I try to restart it I get the following error message Cannot create a file when that file already exists Facility: Win32 ID no: 800700b7 Exchange System Manager Has anyone else already come across this problem, and if so how do I get round it. I have checked security permissions and they are correct. any ideas would be really helpful. ...

Error setting up Data File
I am using Outlook 2003 beta 2. When trying to set up another profile, I have difficulty getting it to create a new data file. In control panel, I do the following: Mail, select profile, Properties, Data File, Add Then, I get a window popup saying: An unknown error occurred, error code: 0x80070002 Any idea why? I have installed OutlookFolders software if that makes any difference. Thanks, Jon ...

attachments on Outlook Express
The attachments on my incoming email are shadowed out and I can't open them. How can I get the attachments to open? "spencer" <spencer4444@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:1f0201c42754$31980900$a401280a@phx.gbl... > The attachments on my incoming email are shadowed out and > I can't open them. How can I get the attachments to open? Tools-Options-Security for the 160,000th time.......... This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97/98/2000/2002/2003 from the Office suite of products. Outlook Express is actually a separate program despite the similar name....

Re-install Outlook Express 5
I up dated via download the OE version 6. Now some of my programs do not work properly because of a lack of available memory. Where can I find the old version 5, and can I re-install it? Larry <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I up dated via download the OE version 6. Now some of my > programs do not work properly because of a lack of > available memory. Where can I find the old version 5, and > can I re-install it? Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

Archieving Error on MSN Deleted Items
Hi All, I get this message everytime my archieving runs...it says: Error while archiving folder "Deleted Items" in store "MSN". Some items could not be copied. They were either moved or deleted, or access was denied. Does anyone know what this means exactly? -- Thanks, Geek using Outlook 2002 Windows XP Home Office XP Professional I get the very same message Outlook 2000. I am a software developer. If I was to display a worthless message like this, I would be fired on the spot. If an error was detected, the program could say what went wrong in the error message. It...

Express
Can I import Outlook Express 6 into Outlook 2000? Express seems to use dbx extensions and 2000 doesnt recognize them. Thom Either in OE go to File-Export or in Outlook go to File-Import and export. "Thom" <tlaybourne@hyspan.com> wrote in message news:34f901c3aa12$20df8a80$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Can I import Outlook Express 6 into Outlook 2000? > Express seems to use dbx extensions and 2000 doesnt > recognize them. > > Thom Ok. What do you select for IMPORT? OR What do you select for EXPORT TO.. I can export to Excel but it errors during import. I ca...

Option group & paramater error
I have a form that I wish to use an option group to filter a field on the sub-form. I have input the following code: Private Sub fraStatus_AfterUpdate() If Me.fraStatus.Value = 2 Then Me.Filter = "Status = Closed" Me.FilterOn = True ElseIf Me.fraStatus.Value = 1 Then Me.Filter = "Status = Open" Me.FilterOn = True Else Me.FilterOn = False End If End Sub I have also placed the following code in the subform: Private Sub Form_ApplyFilter(Cancel As Integer, ApplyType As Integer) If ApplyType = acShowAllRecords Then Me.fraStatus.Value = 3 'Show all...

Insert object error
In Word 2006 when I try to insert an object from a file (another Word file, Excel file, etc.) as an icon in a Word 2007 document I receive an error "Word cnnot start the converter mswrd632.wpc." What can I do to correct this problem. Thanks. JoeP Click on the Fixit button at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973904 -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "JoeP" <JoeP@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

ERROR when opening Excel file #2
Please let me know if you have seen this or know how to fix. I'm getting this error(below) message when opening a pretty basic excel worksheet. Does anyone know how I can find out how it is attached to the file... I've tried everything and can not get rid of it. I desperately need this file to be clean, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cannot find 'c:\program files\IQSC\Q+E\[qe32.xla]qe32'$A1, which has been assigned to run each time [File.xls]Sheet1 is opened. Continuing could cause errors. Continu [yes] [no] There are no macros that I can see att...

Outlook Express opening slowly ??
I have WinXP Pro, running Outlook Express. Whenever i open OE6 it opens to the inbox, sticks (freezes) for about 10 to 15 seconds, then opens up the Inbox mail. It works fine from there on in. What could be causing it to open this slowly, is it checking on something and how can i stop it doing whatever it's doing in this time. It never used to happen. I did put some basic filters on e-mails (junk mail etc), and i thought it was that but i have removed them (i think) and it's just the same ??? Cheers Andy ...

outlook express...
it only works about 40% of the time. I get this error.... The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E I have contacted my isp and everything is good on their end and this is a chronic issue. Can you please help me resolve this? thanks... This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgrou...

Have you seen this error?
Greetings. very basic programming knowlege here. Using Win3K AD and Exchange3K SP1. I have creaged a VB6 (no, I do not have .NET), program that creates a user and an exchange mailbox. It worked fine until I upgraded my workstation exchange management tools to Exchange3K SP1. I get Run-Time Error 13. Type Mismatch on the 'SET OMAILBOX = OBJUSER' section. The code I am using is canned from Microsoft. ADSI portion. Link is below. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/e2k3/e2k3/_cdo_imailboxstore_createmailbox.asp When I unregister the Exch3K SP1 CDO...

Syntax Error
I have just bought a Lexmark Pro 700 Series Printer but I have received the following error message Line 53 Char 1 Error Syntax Error Code 0 URL file://C:/Documents%20Settings/User//Local%20Settings/Temp/DSX20.tmp I have been told it is something to do with my Internet browser settings has anyone any ideas ? -- edr Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. Assuming Vista...

importar emails y cuentas desde Outlook Express 6 a Windows Mail
Me acabo de comprar un laptop con Windows Vista, mi anterior Laptop tenia XP y usaba el Outlook Express 6 y necesito pasar todos esos emails a Windows Mail, alguien me puede explicar como?? ...

memory instruction error
I have a customer with about 35 employees running Windows 2000 SP4 and Outlook 2000 SP3. All of a sudden today there are about 6 or 7 computers that are getting the following error "The instruction at "XXXXXXXXXX" referrenced memory at "XXXXXXXXXX". The memory could not be 'read'". I have gone to microsoft's site and research the error and did everything that I could find including unchecking the net folders, renaming the outcmd.dat and deleting some log files. If anyone has some assistance that would be great. Thanks ...

IE 6 sp1 error with owa
I sometime get blue boxes around icons in IE 6 sp1 on xp sp2. It does not happen all the time. If I use the ssl version it is fine. This is the script error that I get: ---------------------------------------- Line: 556 Char: 24 Error: Expected';' code:0 URL: https://<ip-address>/exchweb/6.5.6944.0/controls/ctrl_view.htc ----------------------------------------- This is what's running: windows 2003 server Exchange 2003 sp1 Thanks, Fiore ...

#name error
i always get #name?? error when am trying to do something with dates... like date difff or date add when i have this expression in the control sourse eg: review date-1=dateadd("m",[evaluation period-1],[hire date]) can anyone help me please In news:1182537677.928523.253520@g37g2000prf.googlegroups.com, kashi <haritha.karanam@gmail.com> wrote: > i always get #name?? error when am trying to do something with > dates... > like date difff or date add > when i have this expression in the control sourse > eg: review date-1=dateadd("m",[evaluation period-1],...