Embedding PDF file in Report

Hello all,

I have an Access2003 report with an embedded PDF file, and I'm running
into the problem where only the first page of the PDF shows up in my
report.

My question is a two-parter:
1.) Has anybody discovered a solution for this problem (I've noticed
several references to it in old posts, but no solutions)?
and
2.) Does anybody know of a good work-around.  Here's a little
background on my particular issue:

I've got a whole bunch of PDFs stored outside my DB.  Depending on
user-input parameters, zero or more of them should be included in my
report.  To simplify things, I embedded a dummy PDF ("GenericPDF.pdf")
in my report.  Then, at run-time, just before opening the report, I
shell out to a separate program that grabs all the desired PDF files,
concatenates them into a single PDF, and names the resulting file
"GenericPDF.pdf".  Everything works perfectly, except that I only get
the first page of GenericPDF, which is a real problem, because it is
often 15-20 pages long.  I spent a long time playing with the
properties of my sub-report control and the sub-report itself,
thinking I just needed to turn on a 'Can Grow' somewhere,  all to no
avail.

If anyone can help, I would be very grateful!

Thanks
Phil

0
Phil

On Sep 29, 1:09 pm, Phil <perphectnum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have an Access2003 report with an embedded PDF file, and I'm running
> into the problem where only the first page of the PDF shows up in my
> report.

Truth be told, I've never heard of anyone using embedding in this way.
I guess you're using the Unbound Object Frame? We used to embed logos
and graphics (i.e. single screen stuff) this way, not multi-page
things like a pdf file.

> "GenericPDF.pdf".  Everything works perfectly, except that I only get
> the first page of GenericPDF, which is a real problem, because it is
> often 15-20 pages long.  I spent a long time playing with the
> properties of my sub-report control and the sub-report itself,
> thinking I just needed to turn on a 'Can Grow' somewhere,  all to no
> avail.

Let's analyse this approach. Adobe pdf files need to be displayed
using an acrobat reader, typically adobe acrobat reader. Adobe Acrobat
Reader itself only displays the first page of a pdf file when you
first run it. You need to have a human bean to use mouse or keyboard
to click and display subsequent pages.

The Access Report is not an Access Form - it does not interact with
the user much - a human can click on the menu or toolbar but the
Report content itself is not made to interact with the user.

So, two things:
a. the reader wants a human to click on "next page"
b. the report does not expose the content to human interaction.

Ananda

0
AnandaSim
9/29/2007 7:04:32 AM
> Let's analyse this approach. Adobe pdf files need to be displayed
> using an acrobat reader, typically adobe acrobat reader. Adobe Acrobat
> Reader itself only displays the first page of a pdf file when you
> first run it. You need to have a human bean to use mouse or keyboard
> to click and display subsequent pages.

This is not true... In fact, If you set the default zoom level in
Adobe Reader's preferences to something like, say 25%, then when you
open a multi-page pdf file, reader will automatically show you
multiple pages, without any interaction from the user.

I'm not trying to be argumentative... I'm just pointing out that a
there's no reason to automatically assume that displaying only the the
first page of a pdf is the default/no-user-input behavior.

If my use of unbound object frames to embed PDFs is unorthodox, then
are there other ways to do what I'm trying to do?  Surely I'm not the
first person to want to include some multi-page PDFs inside an Access
report...

Any help appreciated,

Thanks
Phil

> The Access Report is not an Access Form - it does not interact with
> the user much - a human can click on the menu or toolbar but the
> Report content itself is not made to interact with the user.
>
> So, two things:
> a. the reader wants a human to click on "next page"
> b. the report does not expose the content to human interaction.
>
> Ananda

0
Phil
9/29/2007 8:37:06 AM
On Sep 29, 6:37 pm, Phil <perphectnum...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is not true... In fact, If you set the default zoom level in
> Adobe Reader's preferences to something like, say 25%, then when you
> open a multi-page pdf file, reader will automatically show you
> multiple pages, without any interaction from the user.

Yes, you see as many of those pages to fit a screen full. You
certainly don't see all possible pages and you certainly can't read
the pages - the screen is a 75 or 96 dpi device, the printer is a 600
dpi / 1200 dpi device.

> I'm not trying to be argumentative... I'm just pointing out that a
> there's no reason to automatically assume that displaying only the the
> first page of a pdf is the default/no-user-input behavior.

No, I am not being argumentative either but a pdf viewer needs to have
user interaction if it is to cope with more than a couple of pages. On
most screens, even one full printer page cannot be clearly read on one
full screen.

> If my use of unbound object frames to embed PDFs is unorthodox, then
> are there other ways to do what I'm trying to do?  Surely I'm not the
> first person to want to include some multi-page PDFs inside an Access
> report...

I can't answer the second question, but I assume the result you want
is paper or a pdf rather than an Access report - which is not actually
a consumable but just the print preview of a design / layout program.

If you are intent on producing pdfs are result, the orthodox way would
be to output the Access data via the report to a pdf file and then
append all the pdfs you have together into one. At least to me, that
is an orthodox approach.

HTH
Ananda

0
AnandaSim
9/29/2007 1:24:05 PM

> This is not true... In fact, If you set the default zoom level in
> Adobe Reader's preferences to something like, say 25%, then when you
> open a multi-page pdf file, reader will automatically show you
> multiple pages, without any interaction from the user.
>
> I'm not trying to be argumentative... I'm just pointing out that a
> there's no reason to automatically assume that displaying only the the
> first page of a pdf is the default/no-user-input behavior.

Sure, but your trying to print this too. And, we don't really have a
way to tell ms-access how deal with this pdf.

> If my use of unbound object frames to embed PDFs is unorthodox, then
> are there other ways to do what I'm trying to do?

Well, what you have is not working, and a quick Google don't give a bunch of
answers here. So, it not like there is a bunch of easy links here to solve
this problem.

> I'm not the
> first person to want to include some multi-page PDFs inside an Access
> report...

Well, wanting, and being practical are very much different issues. I can
find you a zillion people that want to fly to Hawaii for free right now, but
it not practical to expect that to happen. Don't confuse want with
practical..they are often a grand canyon apart.

so, sure, it would be nice to include word, or auto cad, or perhaps a copy a
pacman game in the report and have it printout all nice.

However, your asking those applications to run inside of ms-access and
render correctly *inside* of a ms-access report. I think it is a tall order.
I quite much the view with Anada on this one.

Throwing in applications inside of a report opens a lot of uncertainty here,
and now your on a wing and prayer that the application will play nice
*inside* of ms-access..

>are there other ways to do what I'm trying to do?

I see two approaches:

Grab one of the many pdf merge utilities that Google shows up on the web.

a) simply print the ms-access report to a pdf, and then use the above
mentioned approach (ie: simply merge that report (as a pdf) together with
all of the other pdf files using a pdf merge utility. You can then launch
the pdf viewer with this file.

b) don't use a pdf merge utility, but use a pdf printer system that allows
you to you send multiple print jobs to ONE pdf file. Thus, you simply send
your report, and also "print" those several pdfs you also need into that ONE
pdf output file. At that point, you either print the pdf, or again launch
the pdf viewer, or perhaps you attached this pdf as a email attachment.

A quick Google sure comes up with a lot of pdf merge utilities.

However, I like the prnt job idea. And, to do the suggestion "a)", then you
need a programatic pdf system that works with ms-ccess. So, you need to
speclty" the output pdf name in code. And, then you need to merge the
addintal pdf's. (so, a stand alone pdf merge utlity is NOT of use unless you
alerday have a system that creates pdf's *and* also lets you set the output
name in code).

However, a *really* increicle pdf maker is free:

http://www.pdfforge.org/products/pdfcreator

The above has a number of scripts that show how to combine multiple print
jobs...

The above also is a com object, and you can thus use automaton from inside
of access to set the output name for reports etc. And, further, it also has
ability to combine multiple print jobs into one pdf file.

I think this is a KILLER pdf system.

If you good with com automaton and windows scripts, then take a look at the
install directory of the above..it has some GREAT vbs scripts that show how
to combine multiple outputs into one pdf.

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert

Extracting embedded photos
Not sure this is a conversion issue, but don't know where to post it. Before I learned the hard way, I embedded photos in a database, linked to another database for display. I've reached the database size limit and realize I should have linked the photos instead. (original photos not available) Any ideas on a process to run thru the embedded photos and convert them back to original jpg - the manual process is too massive an effort. Thanks See http://www.lebans.com/oletodisk.htm On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:18:01 -0700, bigitch <bigitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Not ...

How do I email a Publisher 2000 file to someone who does not have.
I would like to send Publisher 2000 files to several people who do not have Microsoft Publisher. How can I make it possible for those people to open Publisher files? Hi tlkz (tlkz@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I would like to send Publisher 2000 files to several people who do || not have Microsoft Publisher. How can I make it possible for those || people to open Publisher files? They would need to buy Microsoft Publisher. Otherwise you could download PrimoPDF at www.primopdf.com and convert your files to *.pdf format. Then your recipients can download th...

Adobe PDF add-on keeps crashing
I am using MS Word 2007 and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional. For some reason, when I try using the Convert to PDF add-on, Word keeps crashing and when it restarts it asks if I want to disable the add-on. I've tried it both ways... I've disabled the add-on and then I have to print to PDF rather than do a straight conversion... and I've left the add-on enabled. I estimate it crashes about 50% of the time. It doesn't seem to matter what the document size is, it crashes with large documents and with very small documents. Any ideas?? I would suggest contacting Adobe as ...

Macro printing to a file
I need to generate a series of individual prints from a spreadsheet, going to a PDF printer, and giving each one a different filename. I have set the macro to do this, but it opens a PDFSaveAs window and waits for a filename. Unfortunately the program is so fast and the PDF printer so slow that they get out of seuqence and I dont know where I am in the sequence of reports! How do I pass the individual filenames to the print command in the macro? Obviously I need a propoerty name to set, but I cannot guess it. I have tried PrToFileName as the pop up box suggested that, but it doesn't ...

file damaged
Hi, my Outlook (2003) crashed and has to be terminated with Ctr-Alt-Del. At the same time Publisher (XP) was open but could then be terminated normally without any error message. But it did damage my publisher file. Now I cannot open my publisher file, trying to open results in error message "Publisher cannot open the file" (originally in german: "publisher kann die datei nicht �ffnen"). Any advice for me how to repair my file? Thanks. Regards Robert Medlitsch -- www.MittenImDritten.at Ein-, Aus-, R�ck- und Seitenblicke aus 1030 Wien German version, good for...

salv utility is causing problems in my data file
I am having a problem with Money 2004 and the built in file maintenance utilities. When I upgraded my data file from 2003 to 2004, I had a problem that my new converted file contained some accounts that wouldn't reconcile any longer. What I mean by that is that some transactions in the register simply couldn't selected. When you clicked on the transaction in the reconciliation window, Money would not change to an arrow. So the account won't reconcile. Money tries fix the reconcile error and "sees" the transaction that would fix the problem. But when Money tries to f...

How to merge two Excel Files. #2
im using Office XP, and i have some data in 4to5 different files, i want ot merge all that files, can anybody help me.... thax in advance. Brijesh Parmar --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.521 / Virus Database: 319 - Release Date: 9/23/2003 The big question is whether your files have "similar or the exact same (hopefully) layout. If the latter, I'd just create a new workbook and copy and paste each of your 5 to the new master <<a simplified approach>>. "Brijesh" <parmarb...

Compare two text files and output third
I have the following code: Do Until objInput.AtEndOfStream strLine = objInput.ReadLine ' Skip blank lines. If (Trim(strLine) <> "") Then ' Parse the fields in the file. arrValues = CSVParse(strLine) 'Copyright (c) 2007 Richard L. Mueller Hilltop Lab web site - http://www.rlmueller.net ' Set variables for each field read from file. strCount = strCount +1 strFirst = arrValues(0) strSecond = arrValues(1) strThird = arrValues(2) strFourth = arrValues(3) Set objCFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile("File2.txt", ForReading) ' Next ...

embedded database
We are developing software applications for Insurance agents that will reside on their laptops and desktops. We are looking for recommendation on which client side embedded database to use in our application. I was wondering if anyone knows what Intuit uses in their product or what Microsoft uses for MS Money. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Paul Money uses MSISAM. Little is known about this--it apparently is a closed-up version of the Jet database used by MS Access. "P Gupta" <pkgupta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:qd7qc.318$eQ3.177@newss...

Outlook 2000: No preview pane in new personal folders file
I'm running Outlook 2000 SR-1 in a corporate setting with Exchange 5.5 and am having a problem with a newly created Personal Folders File (.pst). When I create this new pst file, regardless of whether I've checked the preview pane option (View>current view>messages with auto preview), no preview pane appears. There is, however, a preview pane for the Deleted items bin within my newly created pst. This is going to be a form of archive pst for me and I'd like to be able to view these messages quickly in the preview pane. Any suggestions? Thanks- Brian ...

Word
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel How can I reduce the size of inserted pictures in the document WITHOUT linking them? Seems like I used to be able to do this on my pc in Word2003... My 35 page document with pictures is now 140MB! The best approach is to process the images properly using a graphics app *before* plunking them into any sort of document... If you drop in a 1.8MB image it will increase the document's file size by that amount. More recent version of Win Word do have a Compress Picture tool which Mac Word does not have. ...

I lost my file
Dear ALL I had problems with my computer. It freezed up. And my file disappeared. However, my Recycle Bin contains the previous version of the file (without changes that are very important to me). And when I tried (just as an example) to restore it, computer gave me message "Should I replace X-file with Y-file".. In other words, it seems like that the file X, which i'm looking for, is still somewhere in the computer. But, I could not find it through Search ... Is there any other way to find the file ..? thank you in advance Open the Recycle bin and click on the file you ...

Change temporary files directory
Hi, is it possible to change the temporary directory from the outlookclient to another directory? Customer works on terminal server and the userprofile can only hold a max of 20MB. Gr, Joep ...

Outlook and Office File Attachments
Hello, If I create a word document in Word 2003 (or Excel spreadsheet or PowerPoint presentation) and send it as an attachment in Outlook 2003, the file size is changing for both the recipient of the email and even in my own Sent Items. For example, I created a word doc of 24,064 bytes and sent it to another email account. I then went into my Sent Items and saved that word doc into a folder - that word doc was now 26,624 bytes. The recipient also received it as 26,624 bytes. Outlook appears to be automatically adding some sort of Summary Information section into the file from looki...

Problem while saving as PDF
Printing to PDF file fails and I receive the following error from the Distiller: -----------------QUOTE---------------------------------- PDF/X Compliance Report 1. Color [Violation] The non-calibrated colorspace RGB was found on the following pages: Page 1, Occurrences: 30 Colorimetrically-defined data shall be described either using a profile in an ICCBased color space or using an equivalent mechanism, namely a CalGray, CalRGB, or Lab color space. Violations: The total found in this section was 30. 2. Summary Warnings: The total found in this document was 0. ...

how do i make a CVS file from an excel sheet
i have names and numbers in an excel sheet and want to save them as a CSV format so i can export them to a software i have instead of adding them one by one to the software but when i save on excel as CSV it says (this file may contain features that are not compatible with CSV (Comma delikited).... Hi, Just a thought ... Try copy all cells and then paste into notepad. or save as a text file - Mark >-----Original Message----- >i have names and numbers in an excel sheet and want to save them as a CSV >format so i can export them to a software i have instead of adding them on...

How do I move a .pst file into another .pst file?
Recently installed Outlook 2003 on Windows 7. For some reason, the default location for archiving set to the Desktop. Long story short, I fixed that, but I wound up with a .pst archive on the Desktop and TWO in the C:\Users\*My Name*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook folder. I was able to drag and drop the one from the Desktop into one of the .pst files in the Outlook folder. But for some reason I'm not able to drag and drop either archive in the Outlook folder into the other, or into the working Outlook .pst file there. I'd like move one archive into the other and...

How to recognize whether file has XML format or not?
How to recognize whether file has XML format or not? Here is the code segment: XmlDocument* pDomDocument = new XmlDocument(); try { pDomDocument->Load(strFileName ) ; } catch(Exception* e) { .... } Of course if we try to load non XML file, the exception will be thrown. However exception might be thrown in other cases as well (File doesn't exist etc) I need identify the specific case when attempt was made to load non XML file. Seems to me XmlException class doesn't provide that kind of details. Any other ideas how can I accomplish the same goal? Thanks in advance Hi Dale ...

Sync. question for .pst file. #3
If anyone can help, I would like to sync my .pst file from my office PC to my laptop. Now I am using the sync program in Windows 2K and I get the error that says this type of file is unable to be Synchronized. I have done this before, I know you can go into the Registry and change what types of files can and can't be Synchronized. Can anyone tell me where that setting is. It's been a while since I had to do this and I completely forgot. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. P.S. Running Win 2K and Office 2003. ...

embedded manifest
How can modify the embedded manifet for MFC Standard DLL and MFC Application to set: <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker|highestAvailable|requireAdministrator" uiAccess="true|false"/> Hi Don ...

how to transfer future appointments to a new calendar file in Outlook
HI, I have a very large calendar file and want to create a new one which is smaller and does not take long to open. I don't want to use my future appointments, which some of them go ahead for a few years, how can I transfer "ONLY" my future appointments to my new calendar file? Thanks, RF Have you tried autoarchiving the Calendar folder so it cleans out some of the old things? "Rama" <mckinelli@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1153262758.088643.263990@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > HI, > > I have a very large calendar file and want to create a...

report timeout in CRM 1.2 on virtual pc (notebook)
Hi, I prepared images of mscrm 1.2 for virtual pc. On two desktop machines with 1 gig of memory, everything works fine. On a -besides this very performant- notebook with same memory specs, I get timeouts in crystal report viewer (nothing is shown and after a long while, an error message shows in the "html page" where the report should be). I increased timeout value on the "microsoft crm" II server app virtual directory to ..1800 or more: No chance. Did anyone see this happen? Any hint to resolve this? It seems to me like the disk access spped, which is much slower than on...

Converting to PDF and retain metadata
I have a bunch of PPT files that I want to convert to PDF. I've figured out how to do that in VBA, however, I'm unable to include the metadata that's in the PPT. Can someone help me here. I do not have any way to write PDF's outside of Office 2007. Thanks, Barb Reinhardt ...

burning files to CD
my client is running windows XP on all workstaitons. I'm looking for some free or not to expensive (under $100 total would be nice - not per workstation, but total) software that I can control from Access for a dozen or so workstations just to burn some files to CD from my Access app. Can anyone recommend anything? I found XPBurn but it sounds buggy and also CopyToDVD but I guess you have to go thru some hoops to get the SDK. Looking for other tried and true solutions. I don't want to fart around with this. Just want something that works. Thanks, Keith You can try InCD from Nero. ...

XP confirm to open downloaded file
Using XP sp3 Pro. When I download any file, for instance, a jpg/jpeg/gif image, when I try to open that image I get the open file security warning 'Do you want to open this file?'. There is a checkbox (Always ask before opening this file) and regardless of whether it is ticked or not I still get the open file confirmation dialogue showing itself everytime I download any file and try to open it. Now how can I stop this confirmation. Everytime I download an image and open it I have to untick this confirmation dialogue. In Folder Options>File Types tab>Jpg and jpeg ext...