Date problem - AARRRGHHH!!

I can't believe there's no post on this, but I can't find it.  I've
tried the solutions I could find (see below) and still get the error:
"The expression is typed incorrectly or it is too complex to be
evaluated.  For example....Try simplifying...."

I have a date field, formatted as Date/Time, General Date, default
Value = Now().

I like having the date and the time - in case we need it.

I want to run a report on calls taken just for one day.

I have CallDate: CallDateAndTime in my query, with "criteria" as
Between ([Forms]![frmReports]![txtStartDate]) And ([Forms]!
[frmReports]![txtStartDate])+1

and have tried
 ([Forms]![frmReports]![txtStartDate]) with the field in the query as
CallDate: DateValue([CallDateAndTime])

and have tried
Query field: CallDate: CallDateAndTime
with a Where clause
Fix([CallDateAndTime])=([Forms]![frmReports]![txtStartDate]), and
displaying the field

I've tried putting in the actual dates (10/27/07) or Between 10/27/07
and 10/31/07 and I'm getting "Data type mismatch" as if the CallDate
field isn't a date format?

I can post the whole query if that is needed.  I am STUCK! Please
help!!

thanks -
Sara

0
saraqpost

There shouldn't be problems with using:

DateValue([YourDateField]) = Forms!frmReports!txtStartDate

If your query is a crosstab (or feeds a crosstab) then you will need to
specify the data type of the form control.

--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

On Nov 5, 5:38 pm, Duane Hookom <duanehookom@NO_SPAMhotmail.com>
wrote:
> There shouldn't be problems with using:
>
> DateValue([YourDateField]) = Forms!frmReports!txtStartDate
>
> If your query is a crosstab (or feeds a crosstab) then you will need to
> specify the data type of the form control.
>
> --
> Duane Hookom
> Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "saraqp...@yahoo.com" wrote:
> > I can't believe there's no post on this, but I can't find it.  I've
> > tried the solutions I could find (see below) and still get the error:
> > "The expression is typed incorrectly or it is too complex to be
> > evaluated.  For example....Try simplifying...."
>
> > I have a date field, formatted as Date/Time, General Date, default
> > Value = Now().
>
> > I like having the date and the time - in case we need it.
>
> > I want to run a report on calls taken just for one day.
>
> > I have CallDate: CallDateAndTime in my query, with "criteria" as
> > Between ([Forms]![frmReports]![txtStartDate]) And ([Forms]!
> > [frmReports]![txtStartDate])+1
>
> > and have tried
> >  ([Forms]![frmReports]![txtStartDate]) with the field in the query as
> > CallDate: DateValue([CallDateAndTime])
>
> > and have tried
> > Query field: CallDate: CallDateAndTime
> > with a Where clause
> > Fix([CallDateAndTime])=([Forms]![frmReports]![txtStartDate]), and
> > displaying the field
>
> > I've tried putting in the actual dates (10/27/07) or Between 10/27/07
> > and 10/31/07 and I'm getting "Data type mismatch" as if the CallDate
> > field isn't a date format?
>
> > I can post the whole query if that is needed.  I am STUCK! Please
> > help!!
>
> > thanks -
> > Sara- Hide quoted text -

That's what I thought, but it doesn't work!  Any ideas?  I have pasted
the SQL below.  I get results if I take out the parameter.

SELECT tblInitialCallInfo.CallerKey, [CallerFirstName] & " " &
[CallerLastName] AS Caller, tblInitialCallInfo.CallerAddress,
tlkpTowns_1.Town AS CallerTown, tblInitialCallInfo.CallerState,
tblInitialCallInfo.CallerZip, tblInitialCallInfo.CallerPhone,
tblInitialCallInfo.CallDateAndTime, DateValue([CallDateAndTime]) AS
CallDate, TimeValue([CallDateAndTime]) AS CallTime,
tlkpPhoneType.PhoneType, tblInitialCallInfo.CallerEmail,
tblInitialCallInfo.ClientKey, tlkpCallerType.CallerType,
tlkpRelationship.Relationship, [ReferralSourceFirstName] & " " &
[ReferralSourceLastName] AS ReferralSourceName,
tblInitialCallInfo.ReferralSourceTitle, tblAgencies.AgencyName AS
ReferralAgency, [StaffFirstName] & " " & [StaffLastName] AS Staff,
tblInitialCallInfo.CallerPresProblem, tlkpDisposition.Disposition,
tlkpClientCurrently.ClientCurrently, tblInitialCallInfo.DischargeDate
FROM (((((((tblInitialCallInfo LEFT JOIN tlkpPhoneType ON
tblInitialCallInfo.CallerPhoneTypeKey = tlkpPhoneType.PhoneTypeKey)
LEFT JOIN tlkpCallerType ON tblInitialCallInfo.CallerTypeKey =
tlkpCallerType.CallerTypeKey) LEFT JOIN tlkpRelationship ON
tblInitialCallInfo.RelationshipKey = tlkpRelationship.RelationshipKey)
LEFT JOIN tblAgencies ON tblInitialCallInfo.ReferralAgencyKey =
tblAgencies.AgencyKey) LEFT JOIN tblStaff ON
tblInitialCallInfo.StaffKey = tblStaff.StaffKey) LEFT JOIN
tlkpClientCurrently ON tblInitialCallInfo.ClientCurrentlyKey =
tlkpClientCurrently.ClientCurrentlyKey) LEFT JOIN tlkpDisposition ON
tblInitialCallInfo.DispositionKey = tlkpDisposition.DispositionKey)
LEFT JOIN tlkpTowns AS tlkpTowns_1 ON tblInitialCallInfo.CallerTownKey
= tlkpTowns_1.TownKey
WHERE (((DateValue([CallDateAndTime]))=[Forms]![frmReports]!
[txtStartDate]))
ORDER BY tblInitialCallInfo.CallDateAndTime;

Thanks!

Sara

0
saraqpost
11/6/2007 12:01:53 PM
Try declaring the parameter as follows to make sure you are getting a
DateTime value in the parameter.

PARAMETERS Forms]![frmReports]![txtStartDate] DateTime;
SELECT ...
FROM...
WHERE DateValue([CallDateAndTime])=
[Forms]![frmReports]![txtStartDate]
ORDER BY tblInitialCallInfo.CallDateAndTime;

One problem is that if CallDateAndTime is ever null or any value that can't
be interpreted as a date, the DateValue and TimeValue functions will
generate errors.  So you might try
WHERE IIF(IsDate(CallDateAndTime,DateValue(CallDateAndTime),#1/1/1900#)) =
[Forms]![frmReports]![txtStartDate]

If callDateAndTime is going to be a valid date and time you could just use
the NZ function
WHERE DateValue(CallDateAndTime,#1/1/1900#) =
[Forms]![frmReports]![txtStartDate]

Another way to handle this is to use a date range
WHERE CallDateAndTime >= [Forms]![frmReports]![txtStartDate] and
CallDateTime < DateAdd("d",1,[Forms]![frmReports]![txtStartDate])

I'm not sure but you didn't include the # delimiters when you posted that
you entered hardcoded dates as a test.  I believe you are aware that the
clause should read
WHERE CallDateAndTime BETWEEN #10/27/07#  and #10/31/07#
--
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007

<saraqpost@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> LEFT JOIN tlkpCallerType ON tblInitialCallInfo.CallerTypeKey =
> tlkpCallerType.CallerTypeKey) LEFT JOIN tlkpRelationship ON
> tblInitialCallInfo.RelationshipKey = tlkpRelationship.RelationshipKey)
> LEFT JOIN tblAgencies ON tblInitialCallInfo.ReferralAgencyKey =
> tblAgencies.AgencyKey) LEFT JOIN tblStaff ON
> tblInitialCallInfo.StaffKey = tblStaff.StaffKey) LEFT JOIN
> tlkpClientCurrently ON tblInitialCallInfo.ClientCurrentlyKey =
> tlkpClientCurrently.ClientCurrentlyKey) LEFT JOIN tlkpDisposition ON
> tblInitialCallInfo.DispositionKey = tlkpDisposition.DispositionKey)
> LEFT JOIN tlkpTowns AS tlkpTowns_1 ON tblInitialCallInfo.CallerTownKey
> = tlkpTowns_1.TownKey
> WHERE (((DateValue([CallDateAndTime]))=[Forms]![frmReports]!
> [txtStartDate]))
> ORDER BY tblInitialCallInfo.CallDateAndTime;

0
John
11/6/2007 12:26:18 PM
On Nov 6, 7:26 am, "John Spencer" <spen...@chpdm.edu> wrote:
> [...]
> > LEFT JOIN tlkpCallerType ON tblInitialCallInfo.CallerTypeKey =
> > tlkpCallerType.CallerTypeKey) LEFT JOIN tlkpRelationship ON
> > tblInitialCallInfo.RelationshipKey = tlkpRelationship.RelationshipKey)
> > LEFT JOIN tblAgencies ON tblInitialCallInfo.ReferralAgencyKey =
> > tblAgencies.AgencyKey) LEFT JOIN tblStaff ON
> > tblInitialCallInfo.StaffKey = tblStaff.StaffKey) LEFT JOIN
> > tlkpClientCurrently ON tblInitialCallInfo.ClientCurrentlyKey =
> > tlkpClientCurrently.ClientCurrentlyKey) LEFT JOIN tlkpDisposition ON
> > tblInitialCallInfo.DispositionKey = tlkpDisposition.DispositionKey)
> > LEFT JOIN tlkpTowns AS tlkpTowns_1 ON tblInitialCallInfo.CallerTownKey
> > = tlkpTowns_1.TownKey
> > WHERE (((DateValue([CallDateAndTime]))=[Forms]![frmReports]!
> > [txtStartDate]))
> > ORDER BY tblInitialCallInfo.CallDateAndTime;

Thanks!  I found that some of the dates were wrong - the year was
207.  I am not sure how that happened, but I am developing so this
isn't all production data.  I also found that when I opened the form
and entered the date on the form it works.  When I type in the date as
a parameter (requested when I run the query) it doesn't work.

It all works now and I learned a lot.  I've copied all these notes
into a document so I can review and use in the future - I definitely
have more to learn about working with date and time fields.

Many thanks -
Sara

0
saraqpost

Excel 2002 print problem
Excel 2002 rearanges cells and rows when iI print deos any one know why and how to fix it these are spread sheets created in other computers I am using a tablet pc ...

filter by date and action

Transaction Date VS Business Date

problems in outlook 2000
I had to have my hard drive reformatted 2 days ago. I work in OL 2000, internet only, in win 98 SE. My emails arrive in any order, whether I ask in the bar to get them ascending or descending, I get the same ones at the top, they arrive mainly by name, but not always, they are sometimes mixed. Can you tell me what happens ? Thanks ...

Font problem
It seems that the Cambria Math font has recently acquired an extremely large Ascent and Descent. Has it perhaps always been that way and I've never noticed it before, or is it something recent, perhaps a Vista thing? Try the following code for example. For Arial and Times New Roman (and virtually all other fonts) I am getting pretty much exactly what I would expect (a TextHeight that is a bit larger than the point size) but for Cambria Math I am getting an extremely large TextHeight (I get exactly the same results using GDI32 methods). At this end (on my Vista Business laptop...

IMO Accounts problem
My wife and I share the same Outlook IMO account. By that I mean there are two accounts sharing one PST file. This works for us because we want to keep our email, schedules, etc. all in one location. I'm using Windows XP Pro SP1 with Outlook 2000 SR1. I have only two Windows profiles, mine and an admin one that is rarely used. Everyday usage takes place on my profile which is set up as the default profile. Here's the problem: The two accounts, mine and my wife's both use the same PST file and sometimes OL sends the mail with my address in the From field and sometimes it's sent...

Problem with recent Drop Down List Code
I recently got this code from Bob and just today tested the check boxes Problem is when I try to check any box beyond the first column, it wil automatically check the box in the first column only. Here is the code. Sub SelectSheets() Dim i As Long Dim iRows As Long Dim TopPos As Long Dim LeftPos As Long Dim SheetCount As Long Dim cMaxLetters As Long Dim cLeftWidth As Long Dim PrintDlg As DialogSheet Dim CurrentSheet Dim cb As CheckBox Dim fInclude As Boolean Dim arySheets Application.ScreenUpdating = False ReDim arySheets(0) ' Check for protected workbook If ActiveWorkbook.ProtectStruc...

Post Dated Checks

GetShortPathName problem with XP
I have an application that was working fine on NT 4.0. When it was ported to Windows XP, a problem was traced to a call to GetShortPathName, this function does not output an error message, but does not initialize the short form buffer (lpszShortPath out variable) in the form DWORD GetShortPathName( LPCTSTR lpszLongPath, // null-terminated path string LPTSTR lpszShortPath, // short form buffer DWORD cchBuffer // size of short form buffer ); Does anybody know of any issues with this function in XP? I know that XP does not have the 8.3 format, but I thought this function wo...

Header Problems
I am using word 2003 On the 4th page and section 2 of a 22 page document, I created a header that I want on all of the following pages. But it is also appearing on the first page that I had checked as "different first page", but does not appear on pages 2 or 3. How can I get it off of page 1? What am I doing wrong? I have never had this problem before when I have created the whole document. But I am working on someone else's document trying to straighten out their header problems. Can anyone help me??? Aurora I'm not sure I'm reading your descripti...

Sharing problem
I want to share my file with another, when I select sharing from the settings page, it goes to the sharing page, but then I only see the animated arrows, and the done button, but no place to put the email address. Can anyone help with this problem? Thank you, --Tom ...

strange date format problem

data migration wizard problem
Hello there I try to import account into crm 3.0 by dmf and it doesnt seems to work. Here is insert I am using to populate cdf (under) as accountid i use (1,2,3 ... ) as owning user name (my domain\login) wizard runs and ..... writes that all records are not migrated from cdf... log doesnt show any errors .. please help tell me what is required because i have done all that is in mapping description. INSERT INTO cdf_mscrm..cdf_Account ( AccountID ,AccountNumber ,Name ,PrimaryContactName ,Telephone1 ,Telephone2 ,Address1_Telephone1 ,Fax ,Ad...

How to sort by name then date?

Multiple Accounts problem
I am using Outlook 2000 with all the MS required updates. When I add a 3rd Internet E-Mail account, it will not work if the other 2 are functioning. In other words, when I have a functioning 1. Me@what.com 2. you@what.com and I go to add a third account: 3. who@what .com It will not send/receive from this 3rd account. If I erase one of the original accounts, the new one WILL work. Plus, at the Menu, Tools, Send/receive option, only 2 will ever show up at the same time. I have completely removed and then re-installed Outlook 2000 more than once. Any suggestions? Anyone seen...

Mouse problem
One of my computers at work has stopped allowing Excel to function. It opens a workbook but when you select a cell it simply highlights the cell without allowing input. If you then move the mouse it simply extends the highlighted area, which is the same behaviour you normally get if you switch from mouse left to mouse right after selecting a cell. But in this case I cannot get normal left mouse operation. The mouse operates normally with other software and we have reinstalled the mouse driver. The only solution is to crash out. Any ideas? You could try downloading and installing...

Email Template Problem
Hi, I'm having an issue with using email templates. When I try using them, the messages are sent just fine, except that the Greeting in the message contains my name (the sender) instead of the name of the person the email is going to. This happens on the built in templates that came with CRM as well as some that I have created. For example....I'm Dan, and if I send a message to Joe using a template, Joe would see something like this: Dear Dan, Welcome to CRM....blah blah blah. Sincerely, Dan The field that is auto populated after "Dear" is this: {!User:First Nam...

if statement with dates #2

443 routing problems
Hi, We have our e-mail working fine through our Local Education Network. Our mail A records point to the LEA mail forwarding server and mail arrives here before being forwarded on the WAN to our Exchange 2003 mail server (which was installed today). So our mail domain yggwyr.swansea.sch.uk both accepts and sends e-mail without any problems. The LEA will not allow us access on Port 443 to our Exchange server. The politics behind this are not for here, but to combat this we had a seperate ADSL line installed and we now use our Netgear router to forward port 443 to the Exchange server - ...

Counting Dates?

An expression for dates from and to