Calculating page/report sums using calculated data from subquery

Here is a scenario from my report:
The report will grab data with a main query into a parent row
Depending on the data, a child row may exist, if it does the report will
display it
The child row will use data from the parent row in order to do a calculation
in the child

All of this works just fine and the report data is correct.

Now, what I am having issues with is doing the page/report sum calculations.
The requirements dictate that I need to create a sum of both the parent
column and also the child column in the totals.

I have been trying to do this all day and cannot seem to get it to work at
all.

In the page totals, I am trying get something like this:
=Sum([StdLabor])+sum( [Product - Pegged].Report![PegStdLabor] )

But, when I try to execute this, it prompts me for the [PegStdLabor] value
because it is being referenced but the sub-report does not exist yet.

I have also tried the HasData Report parameter (similar problem), and
IsObject, IsError, IsMissing, etc...

I am confused to no end. Any help is appreciated.

The title has been corrected. I apologize for any initial confusion

rickr wrote:

>Here is a scenario from my report:
>The report will grab data with a main query into a parent row
>Depending on the data, a child row may exist, if it does the report will
>display it
>The child row will use data from the parent row in order to do a calculation
>in the child
>
>All of this works just fine and the report data is correct.
>
>Now, what I am having issues with is doing the page/report sum calculations.
>The requirements dictate that I need to create a sum of both the parent
>column and also the child column in the totals.
>
>I have been trying to do this all day and cannot seem to get it to work at
>all.
>
>In the page totals, I am trying get something like this:
>=Sum([StdLabor])+sum( [Product - Pegged].Report![PegStdLabor] )
>
>But, when I try to execute this, it prompts me for the [PegStdLabor] value
>because it is being referenced but the sub-report does not exist yet.
>
>I have also tried the HasData Report parameter (similar problem), and
>IsObject, IsError, IsMissing, etc...

If the subreport might not have any records, change the
expression to:

=Sum(StdLabor)+Sum(IIf([Product - Pegged].Report.HasData,
[Product - Pegged].Report![PegStdLabor], 0))

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

This is the thing I have been fighting for 2 days now.

"Marshall Barton" wrote:

> rickr wrote:
>
> >Here is a scenario from my report:
> >The report will grab data with a main query into a parent row
> >Depending on the data, a child row may exist, if it does the report will
> >display it
> >The child row will use data from the parent row in order to do a calculation
> >in the child
> >
> >All of this works just fine and the report data is correct.
> >
> >Now, what I am having issues with is doing the page/report sum calculations.
> >The requirements dictate that I need to create a sum of both the parent
> >column and also the child column in the totals.
> >
> >I have been trying to do this all day and cannot seem to get it to work at
> >all.
> >
> >In the page totals, I am trying get something like this:
> >=Sum([StdLabor])+sum( [Product - Pegged].Report![PegStdLabor] )
> >
> >But, when I try to execute this, it prompts me for the [PegStdLabor] value
> >because it is being referenced but the sub-report does not exist yet.
> >
> >I have also tried the HasData Report parameter (similar problem), and
> >IsObject, IsError, IsMissing, etc...
>

> If the subreport might not have any records, change the
> expression to:
>
> =Sum(StdLabor)+Sum(IIf([Product - Pegged].Report.HasData,
> [Product - Pegged].Report![PegStdLabor], 0))
>
> --
> Marsh
> MVP [MS Access]
> .

I am playing with VB code builder and I am able to get the sum of these
fields into a variable, but the code builder will not allow me to assign it
to a field on the report.

What is the syntax to assign a Code Builder variable to a report field?

"rickr" wrote:

> Unfortunately, that does not work. When I run the report it prompts me for the
> Product - Pegged]Report.HasData and also for the [Product -
> Pegged].Report![PegStdLabor] value.
>
> This is the thing I have been fighting for 2 days now.
>
> "Marshall Barton" wrote:
>
> > rickr wrote:
> >
> > >Here is a scenario from my report:
> > >The report will grab data with a main query into a parent row
> > >Depending on the data, a child row may exist, if it does the report will
> > >display it
> > >The child row will use data from the parent row in order to do a calculation
> > >in the child
> > >
> > >All of this works just fine and the report data is correct.
> > >
> > >Now, what I am having issues with is doing the page/report sum calculations.
> > >The requirements dictate that I need to create a sum of both the parent
> > >column and also the child column in the totals.
> > >
> > >I have been trying to do this all day and cannot seem to get it to work at
> > >all.
> > >
> > >In the page totals, I am trying get something like this:
> > >=Sum([StdLabor])+sum( [Product - Pegged].Report![PegStdLabor] )
> > >
> > >But, when I try to execute this, it prompts me for the [PegStdLabor] value
> > >because it is being referenced but the sub-report does not exist yet.
> > >
> > >I have also tried the HasData Report parameter (similar problem), and
> > >IsObject, IsError, IsMissing, etc...
> >

> > If the subreport might not have any records, change the
> > expression to:
> >
> > =Sum(StdLabor)+Sum(IIf([Product - Pegged].Report.HasData,
> > [Product - Pegged].Report![PegStdLabor], 0))
> >
> > --
> > Marsh
> > MVP [MS Access]
> > .

Here is the VB Code I am using to calculate the sums of the stdLabor fields.
It is summing the fields correctly, but when I try to assign it to the Report
Footer object (in this case Text71) I get the error message stating that I
cannot assign a value to this object (run-time error '2448').

CODE
Option Compare Database
Dim stdLaborSum As Double

Private Sub Detail_Format(Cancel As Integer, FormatCount As Integer)
stdLaborSum = stdLaborSum + StdLabor + IIf([Report_Product -
Pegged].HasData, [Report_Product - Pegged].Text14, 0)
End Sub

Private Sub ReportFooter_Format(Cancel As Integer, FormatCount As Integer)
'Reports![Prod - Left to Manufacture - By Plant pegged]![Text71] = stdLaborSum
'Reports![Prod - Left to Manufacture - By Plant pegged] = stdLaborSum
[Report_Prod - Left to Manufacture - By Plant pegged].Controls!Text71 =
stdLaborSum
'Me![Text71] = stdLaborSum
'Fields("Text71").Value = stdLaborSum
End Sub

END CODE

Any help is appreciated.

"rickr" wrote:

> I am playing with VB code builder and I am able to get the sum of these
> fields into a variable, but the code builder will not allow me to assign it
> to a field on the report.
>
> What is the syntax to assign a Code Builder variable to a report field?
>
> "rickr" wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, that does not work. When I run the report it prompts me for the
> > Product - Pegged]Report.HasData and also for the [Product -
> > Pegged].Report![PegStdLabor] value.
> >
> > This is the thing I have been fighting for 2 days now.

> > > If the subreport might not have any records, change the
> > > expression to:
> > >
> > > =Sum(StdLabor)+Sum(IIf([Product - Pegged].Report.HasData,
> > > [Product - Pegged].Report![PegStdLabor], 0))
> > >
> > > --
> > > Marsh
> > > MVP [MS Access]
> > > .

Sorry, I was so focused on the subreport reference that I
missed the thee fact that you were using Sum to try to total
the subreport values.  That won't work because the aggregate
functions (Count, Sum, etc) can only operate on revord
source fields, they are unaware of controls in the report.

Instead you should use a running sum text box (named
txtRunTotal) in the same section as the subreport.  The text
box's expression would be like:
	=IIf([Product - Pegged].Report.HasData, [Product -
Pegged].Report![PegStdLabor], 0)

Then the report footer textbox can use the expression:
	=Sum([StdLabor]) + txtRunTotal
--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

rickr wrote:
>Unfortunately, that does not work. When I run the report it prompts me for the
>Product - Pegged]Report.HasData and also for the [Product -
>Pegged].Report![PegStdLabor] value.
>
>This is the thing I have been fighting for 2 days now.
>
>"Marshall Barton" wrote:
>> rickr wrote:
>> >Here is a scenario from my report:
>> >The report will grab data with a main query into a parent row
>> >Depending on the data, a child row may exist, if it does the report will
>> >display it
>> >The child row will use data from the parent row in order to do a calculation
>> >in the child
>> >
>> >All of this works just fine and the report data is correct.
>> >
>> >Now, what I am having issues with is doing the page/report sum calculations.
>> >The requirements dictate that I need to create a sum of both the parent
>> >column and also the child column in the totals.
>> >
>> >I have been trying to do this all day and cannot seem to get it to work at
>> >all.
>> >
>> >In the page totals, I am trying get something like this:
>> >=Sum([StdLabor])+sum( [Product - Pegged].Report![PegStdLabor] )
>> >
>> >But, when I try to execute this, it prompts me for the [PegStdLabor] value
>> >because it is being referenced but the sub-report does not exist yet.
>> >
>> >I have also tried the HasData Report parameter (similar problem), and
>> >IsObject, IsError, IsMissing, etc...
>>

>> If the subreport might not have any records, change the
>> expression to:
>>
>> =Sum(StdLabor)+Sum(IIf([Product - Pegged].Report.HasData,
>> [Product - Pegged].Report![PegStdLabor], 0))
0
Marshall
4/22/2010 4:24:51 PM
rickr wrote:
>I am playing with VB code builder and I am able to get the sum of these
>fields into a variable, but the code builder will not allow me to assign it
>to a field on the report.
>
>What is the syntax to assign a Code Builder variable to a report field?

Stop right there.  Step away from the keybord and keep your
hands up  ;-)

Because report sections are processed as many times and in
whatever order is necessary for Access to produce the
formatting and display you want, you can not use code to
calculate values from more than the one section with the
code.

See my earlier reply about using a Running Sum text box
instead of the doomed idea of using code to calculate a
total.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Sometimes it is the simple things that really cause the most difficulties. I
truly appreciate your help.

So, for those that may want a solution recap:
If you have a report with a sub report, and need to use values from the
sub-report in order to calculate total report values, follow this procedure:
1. For each sub-report value that needs to be referenced on the main report
totals
    a. Create a text-box and place it on the main detail section, name it
something useful like 'col_1_Sum'
    b. In the Control Source, reference the sub-report data element like so:

=IIf([Sub-Report_Name].Report.HasData,Nz([Sub-Report_Name].Report.column1,0),0)
    c. Set the text-box 'Running Sum' property as necessary (I created 2
text boxes, 1 for the primary group and the second for the 'Over All' option)
    d. Optional: Make the text-box NOT Visible
2. In the Report Footer, set the text-box where the total is going to be
displayed like this (using the text box with Over All running sum):
= Sum([col1]) + [col_1_sum]

Works like a charm.

Thanks again.

rickr wrote:
>That definitely did the trick. Thank you ever so much.
>
>Sometimes it is the simple things that really cause the most difficulties. I
>truly appreciate your help.
>
>So, for those that may want a solution recap:
>If you have a report with a sub report, and need to use values from the
>sub-report in order to calculate total report values, follow this procedure:
>1. For each sub-report value that needs to be referenced on the main report
>totals
>    a. Create a text-box and place it on the main detail section, name it
>something useful like 'col_1_Sum'
>    b. In the Control Source, reference the sub-report data element like so:
>
>=IIf([Sub-Report_Name].Report.HasData,Nz([Sub-Report_Name].Report.column1,0),0)
>    c. Set the text-box 'Running Sum' property as necessary (I created 2
>text boxes, 1 for the primary group and the second for the 'Over All' option)
>    d. Optional: Make the text-box NOT Visible
>2. In the Report Footer, set the text-box where the total is going to be
>displayed like this (using the text box with Over All running sum):
>= Sum([col1]) + [col_1_sum]
>
>Works like a charm.

Nice wrap up summary.  Here's hoping a lot of people with
the same issue find it when they search for a solution for
this problem.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Read Only pages
How can I cancel a page saved read-only. Somehow the programs opens all pages as read only. I tryed to open the properties and un-click read only, but the forms still indicate read only. "page" is a workbook? "programs" is Excel Application? Open a workbook in Excel and File>Save As>Tools>General Options and Uncheck "read-only recommended" Save the workbook. Say "yes" to overwite. If the workbooks are being opened from removable media like a CD they would have become read-only when you copied to CD Copy back to HDD then open them may b...

Printing a HTA page
With a HTML page displayed in a browser I can just drop the File menu and select "Print" to send the page to the printer. I'd like to do the same thing with a HTA page. Any suggestions? -- Crash "The real question is not whether machines think but whether men do." ~ B. F. Skinner ~ "Dave "Crash" Dummy" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:McWAn.43500$0_7.32476@newsfe25.iad... > With a HTML page displayed in a browser I can just drop the File menu > and select "Print" to send the page to the printer. I...

How to Read/Write vsd uses Delphi?
I wana read/write vsd file by Borland Delphi. anyideas? Miles Guo What version of Delphi? Surely you can use the ActiveX control to access the vsd and its objects. Randall Arnold "miles guo" <milesg@china.com> wrote in message news:%23f4tOnqHEHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >I wana read/write vsd file by Borland Delphi. > anyideas? > > Miles Guo > > On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:13:29 +0800, "miles guo" <milesg@china.com> wrote: >I wana read/write vsd file by Borland Delphi. >anyideas? http://www.diagramantics.com -- Regards,...

entering data in excel invoices
-- TomA --- PattiD .. >-----Original Message----- > >-- >TomA >. > ...

How to calculate age of a person?

Not Authorized to view this page
Hi Guys, I have recently installed CRM 1.2 onto a clients server running sbs2003. Since I needed sharepoint to run, I moved sharepoint to a different website. I created a new CRM website and installed it. It worked corectly. I have now had to change the ip address of the server and websites. I can log onto sharepoint without a problem, but CRM keeps giving me a 'You are not authorized to view this page' error. I also cannot log into workflow manager, 'I am told that the server localhost is not responding.' Can anyone give me a solution to solve this? Please real...

need to reducing pages....i need to put the bottom part of a page.
i am working with three colums...i am down to cell 18,000...when i print my workbook it comes to 247 pages. what i want to do is put two pages that are portrait together on one page...maybe make them landscape so that i am printing less pages. also, i want to print on both sides of the page...please help If I may editorialize for a moment: is anyone actually going to read 247 pages of data? One solution may be to open a new tab within your workbook, summarize the two pages of data, and print from there. That will be much more manageable. As for printing both sides, you'll need to...

Reformat data to vertical format
Here is what I am trying to do. http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/totalcontrolproducts_OLD/download/images/Untitled-1.gif I have about a thousand records that I need in a vertical format with normal shared field name. Any suggestions -- Psydwaz ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Psydwaze's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2437 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37965 see Creating a Spreadsheet from Database data (#dbdata) http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm...

Using MS Office components in VC++ and MFC?
Is it poossible to use MS Office components in VC++? In my MFC application I would like to use the drawing feature of Word or Excel where users can create rectangles/text boxes/connector lines etc. Any sample code please? -Harish You can use them, but you cannot distribute them. joe On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 00:55:00 -0800, Harish <Harish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it poossible to use MS Office components in VC++? In my MFC application I >would like to use the drawing feature of Word or Excel where users can create >rectangles/text boxes/connector lines etc. Any s...

Move data from one server to another
We are trying to move some databases from a set of old servers to a new servers and they are pretty large.. like around 100 databases and around 10-15 TB. They are all SAN connected and I believe SAN based replication from one SAN volume to a new SAN volume connected to the other server might be faster.. but I don't think SAN based replication works at a file level.. As an example, I may have 4 databases on one server and 2 of these databases may move to NewServer1 and the other 2 to NewServer2... Backup and restore may take forever.. Any other way to speed up these moves...

Forcing page breaks
Is there a way to get Excel to force page breaks at rows where a cell contains a certain value? Thank you, Only by you writing a VBA macro to do it. On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:19:02 -0800, "Peter Cartwright" <Peter Cartwright@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way to get Excel to force page breaks at rows where a cell >contains a certain value? Thank you, Thanks Myrna. I suspected that was the case. VBA is not a strong point of mine. Could you or anyone else help me modify the following from Frank Kabel of Germany in his post of October 29? He wrote i...

Sum Product
I am trying to get a $ sum based on 2 text conditions, but keep getting a #NUM! error. My formula works only when I limit my search to certain rows. Ideally, here's how I'd like it to work: =SUMPRODUCT((O:O="Medical")*(R:R="Health Care")*(G:G)) The G column contains the $ figures that I'm trying to add. But every so often the column contains a necessary cell of text -- through trial and error, this fact seems to be causing the problem. Any ideas how I can fix this formula? Hi You cannot use full columns in a SUMPRODUCT. Try this: =SUMPRODUCT((O2:O650...

Due Date Calculated

Yellow block down the side of my page
Hi, a faded yellow block of colour has appeared down the left side of my page when i create a new document from my saved template. It doesn't happen when i open the template itself. Any ideas how to get rid of it please? thanks It would appear that you have Track Changes enabled. The colored area is provided for the "balloons." -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Angel_1" <Angel1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E7A33CF4-DDFB-408B-BF53-ABDEB33FA742@microsof...

how to calculate outliers

Calculated field options???

PickList Reconcile Report
Hi: I reconciled one Inventory Item from Tools >> Routine >> Inventory >> Reconcile. Item is reconciled from that window, report is also printed. But there is one more report from Project accounting side which is PickList Reconcile Report. My question is what is this report? What is it showing? I checked that it is showing me some other items which I did not select at the time of Inventory reconciliation. Why other items are being reconciled if even not selected and the message for every item on this report is "The issued quantity has bee adjusted from <No.>...

tenure calculations

Dynamics 4.0 slow to retrieve data when custom fields / lookups us
We've have this issue whereby if a custom field, say on the contact, is indexed, when you use advanced find, it seems to use the index. The response is acceptable. It appears however it you use the standard search bar and try the lookup, it appears that table scans are happening. Can anyone advise if we're reading the situation correctly and whether there is a way to speed up to normal search. Thanks -- C ...

Time Sheet Function to Calculate

Web page in excel 2000
I am trying to use a web page to determine the distance from two sets o zip codes (about 5000 or so), and I don't know where to start. I looke in the "using excel to work with data on the web", but was unable to d import the web page. I'm not even sure that's what I want to do. An direction would be appreciated. thanks -- jmert ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jmertz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1600 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27471 ...

Page Numbers across worksheets
Does anyone know how to setup page numbers in the footer that will print continuously across worksheets when you chose print entire workbook from Excel 2000 or later? The closest I was able to come was to print the tab name so that the pages came out as worksheet1 page1 Worksheet1 Page2, Worksheet2 Page 1, Worksheet3, Page 1 Etc. Thanks! Daryl You just press the CTRL key and click the specified worksheets tab, then use print preview (or print directly), you may find out the page number is continously. HTH Harry "Daryl G." <Not@Provided.com> �b�l�� news:ejJBNJBeDHA.1832@...