Add Text Field Columns

PFDB: IIf(Nz([PFDirect])+Nz([PFBulk])=0,"",Nz([PFBulk])+Nz([PFDirect]))

I have two fields both of which are text.  When I try to add them as above, I get a
concatenated result, not the sum.  How does one add them?

bw

On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:38:49 -0600, bw wrote:

> PFDB: IIf(Nz([PFDirect])+Nz([PFBulk])=0,"",Nz([PFBulk])+Nz([PFDirect]))
>
> I have two fields both of which are text.  When I try to add them as above, I get a
> concatenated result, not the sum.  How does one add them?

How does one add "This is text." + "this is also text"?
If both fields are Text, then your expression will concatenate them.

One adds numbers.
Now if the values within the text datatype fields are actually
numbers  (0 - 9) as text, then you can try:

 PFDB:
IIf(Nz(Val([PFDirect]),0)+Nz(Val([PFBulk]),0)=0,"",Nz(Val([PFBulk]),0)+Nz(Val([PFDirect]),0))
--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.

"fredg" <fgutkind@example.invalid> wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:38:49 -0600, bw wrote:
>
>> PFDB: IIf(Nz([PFDirect])+Nz([PFBulk])=0,"",Nz([PFBulk])+Nz([PFDirect]))
>>
>> I have two fields both of which are text.  When I try to add them as above, I get a
>> concatenated result, not the sum.  How does one add them?
>
> How does one add "This is text." + "this is also text"?
> If both fields are Text, then your expression will concatenate them.
>
> One adds numbers.
> Now if the values within the text datatype fields are actually
> numbers  (0 - 9) as text, then you can try:
>
> PFDB:
> IIf(Nz(Val([PFDirect]),0)+Nz(Val([PFBulk]),0)=0,"",Nz(Val([PFBulk]),0)+Nz(Val([PFDirect]),0))
> --
> Fred
> Please respond only to this newsgroup.
> I do not reply to personal e-mail

0
bw

adding Text to the beginning of a control source
I want to say ="HELP"&Format([Session Start Date 2],"yyyy\:mm") & [ID] I want the word HELP then the start date 2 and finally the ID ie: HELP2010:12430 How do I put the text at the beginning? Where are you putting this? In the Control Source of control on a form/report? Then it should work as posted provided that [Session Start Date 2] and [ID] are in the object's record source. In a query? Then you just need a field alias and drop the = sign; MyHelpText: "HELP" & Format([Session Start Date 2],"yyyy\:mm") & [ID] ...

Hide certain columns in range
Hi All........ I have a Range named "Months" which is B25:AW25. Each cell in that range contains a number of 1-12 standing for a month. I would like to be able to hide all columns except the Month number I choose, and the one on each side of it. For example, if I choose the month 7, then I want to hide all columns except those with a 6,7, or 8 in my range. And of course if I choose month 1, I want all except 12, 1, and 2 to be hidden, etc. TIA for any ideas Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 Are your month numbers in consecutive order through the range B25:AW25 li...

Add Lookup Fields to Entity

Excel Add Ins

How do I send text or pictures in Outlook Express 6?
I am unable to be at any site, document, picture and send [via Outlook Express 6] anything to anyone as errors such as 'person unknown', 'error message of every nature immaginable', or 'you must be online with Outlook Express' [when in fact I am online and the default email program [Outlook Express 6] is activated and working with simple emails [and the typical trash spam you receive]; however, when I wish to send NASA documents or anything substantive within the state or federal goverment sites for higher education [i.e. Ohio University], this never works [Outlo...

Add on

POS 2009 Add-In: Populating a Task Pad

Add-in cannot be loaded OL07

How do I increase the text size of an Excel cell?
Hi guys, Situation: I had a memo size field in MS Access. When I copied and pasted it into an MS Excel cell the text gets truncated? I can't believe that Microsoft has had about 5-6 versions of Excel and hasn't fixed this simple problem. Mike Web Developer and Catholic Apologist http://www.faithfulchristians.net I think this is by design. Not everyone would want the whole column resized because of a single truncated cell. "Mike_Humphrey" <Mike_Humphrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:79662172-C13B-4708-AAF4-B02511AD79AA@microsoft.com... > H...

Format text to add character

Rank a Column + 1 cell from 2nd Col
I have 6 columns: A B C D E F 274 1 269 ? 279 ? 275 2 270 ? 280 ? 276 3 271 ? 281 ? 288 4 283 ? 293 ? Column B represents a simple 'Rank' of Column A In the first row of column 'D' I want the rank of the 269 in relatio to the figures in column 'A' which equals 1. I also want the rank o 270, 271 & 272 in relation to their position on Column 'A' - whic would equal 1, 1, 4 In Column 'F' I want the rank of those figures in 'E' relation to th values of column 'A'. Which would equal 4, 4, 4, 5 Any help would ...

Add File menu to custom toolbar

Why does Publisher insert a leading space when pasting text?
When I paste text from MS Word into MS Publisher a space is inserted at the beginning of each paragraph. How can I prevent this? Paste special as unformatted text. Or with your cursor in the text box, select all, format, paragraph, set before paragraph 0pt. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Saints RFC fan" <SaintsRFCfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2E41BD3C-057D-4275-9832-8EE6AAA80243@microsoft.com... > When I past...

Use Parameter Data to populate a form field
I am trying to figure out how to take the data I enter from a parameter query to populate a field on a form. Include the parameter(s) as a computed column(s) in the query, e.g. PARAMETERS [Enter start date:] DATETIME, [Enter end date:] DATETIME; SELECT SomeField, SomeOtherField, [Enter start date:] AS StartDate, [Enter end date:] AS EndDate FROM SomeTable WHERE DateField BETWEEN [Enter start date:] AND [Enter end date:]; In the above example you can then bind text box controls on the form to the StartDate and EndDate fields. Ken Sheridan Stafford, England JudyKemp w...

add a DC in a LegSite

excel add-ons

Automatically inserting text into cells which already contain text

Macro to change pivot field with latest value 03-01-10
This is a re-post as my questions hasn't been answered by anyone... Hi there and thank you in advance for any help. I have written a macro that changes (hides / shows) fields on a pivot table. One of these changes the field used for the page fields section of the pivot table. However, when i add a field to this section, it defaults to All. How can have this field default to the latest value in this field. Let me explain further: I want the pivot to be shown either by date or by week. The macro then changes the page field section to show either the date or week field. If ...

X axis labels won't line up under corresponding column data
Only way I can get dates (year 1998, 1999 and on etc) to fall under annual income columns is to horse around with spacing, adding and subtracting spaces in the category axis drop-down box in Chart Options. Seems you can't even use the same number of spaces between each because if you add between two of them, adding the same number of spaces doesn'tnecessarily work between the next two. I have about 8 charts to mess with and can't find an easy way to do this. did you try this righclcik x axis, clcik <format axis> choose <scale> UNCHECK <value(y) axis crosed be...

Map Add-On?