Using a Query to find multiple items

I am not too sure how to word this, but:

I am attempting to create a database to track job information and pricing.

I have a query that calculates the price of a fixture based on various
criteria.

I have a table that stores the name of the job (primary key) and multiple
columns that store fixture number and quantity.

I need to use a query to look up the fixture number from the Fixture Price
Query and multiply it by the quantity to give me the total. My problem is
that I need the query to do this multiple times in one row. Here is the
example as best as I can show:

QRY:
Job Name   -   Fixture #1   -   Fixture #1 Price (look up from query) -
Fixture #1 Qty  -  Fixture #1 Cost   -   Fixture #2     - Fixture #2 Price
(lookup from qry) - Fixture #2 Cost

I appreciate any help you all my have (if it is even possible)

You need Fixture #2 in a second row/record.
--
KARL DEWEY
Build a little - Test a little

"Key Powell" <KeyPowell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am not too sure how to word this, but:
>
> I am attempting to create a database to track job information and pricing.
>
> I have a query that calculates the price of a fixture based on various
> criteria.
>
> I have a table that stores the name of the job (primary key) and multiple
> columns that store fixture number and quantity.
>
> I need to use a query to look up the fixture number from the Fixture Price
> Query and multiply it by the quantity to give me the total. My problem is
> that I need the query to do this multiple times in one row. Here is the
> example as best as I can show:
>
> QRY:
> Job Name   -   Fixture #1   -   Fixture #1 Price (look up from query) -
> Fixture #1 Qty  -  Fixture #1 Cost   -   Fixture #2     - Fixture #2 Price
> (lookup from qry) - Fixture #2 Cost
>
> I appreciate any help you all my have (if it is even possible)

Key Powell,

I do not know what your table structures are, so I will use some examples as guesses.

Tables:

Create a blank MS Access database.  You can copy and paste these DDL SQL queries each into
an MS Access Query, executing each one in order to create the tables and the
relationships.

CREATE TABLE Fixtures
(FixtureID            AUTOINCREMENT
,FixtureName          TEXT(255) NOT NULL
,CONSTRAINT pk_Fixtures
 PRIMARY KEY (FixtureID)
)

CREATE TABLE Prices
(PriceID              AUTOINCREMENT
,FixtureID            INTEGER  NOT NULL
,StartDate            DATETIME NOT NULL
,EndDate              DATETIME
,Price                CURRENCY
,CONSTRAINT pk_Prices
 PRIMARY KEY (PriceID
             ,FixtureID
             ,StartDate)
,CONSTRAINT fk_Prices_Fixtures
 FOREIGN KEY (FixtureID)
 REFERENCES Fixtures (FixtureID)
)

CREATE TABLE Jobs
(JobID                AUTOINCREMENT
,JobName              TEXT(255) NOT NULL
,CONSTRAINT pk_Jobs
 PRIMARY KEY (JobID)
)

CREATE TABLE JobInformation
(JobInformationID     AUTOINCREMENT
,JobID                INTEGER NOT NULL
,FixtureID            INTEGER NOT NULL
,Quantity             INTEGER NOT NULL
,CONSTRAINT pk_JobInformation
 PRIMARY KEY (JobInformationID)
,CONSTRAINT pk_JobInformation_Jobs
 FOREIGN KEY (JobID)
 REFERENCES Jobs (JobID)
,CONSTRAINT fk_Jobs_Fixtures
 FOREIGN KEY (FixtureID)
 REFERENCES Fixtures (FixtureID)
)

Sample Data:

Fixtures
1, Item One
2, Item Two
3, Item Three

Prices
1, 1, 06/01/2007, 06/30/2007, 10.00
2, 1, 07/01/2007, 07/31/2007, 10.50
3, 2, 06/20/2007, 06/30/2007, 20.00
4, 3, 01/01/2007, 12/31/2007, 30.00

Jobs
1, Thing One
2, Thing Two
3, Thing Three

JobInformation
1, 1, 1, 20
2, 2, 1, 10
3, 2, 2, 15
4, 3, 1, 1
5, 3, 2, 1
6, 3, 3, 1

TRANSFORM SUM(P1.Price * JI1.Quantity)
   SELECT J1.JobName
     FROM ((JobInformation As JI1
            INNER JOIN
            Fixtures AS F1
       ON   JI1.FixtureID = F1.FixtureID)
           INNER JOIN
           Prices AS P1
       ON  F1.FixtureID = P1.FixtureID)
           INNER JOIN
           Jobs AS J1
       ON  JI1.JobID = J1.JobID
    WHERE Date()
  BETWEEN P1.StartDate and P1.EndDate
 GROUP BY J1.JobName
    PIVOT F1.FixtureName

Results:

JobName,     Item One  Item Three  Item Two
Thing One,   $200.00
Thing Three, $10.00,   $30.00,     $20.00
Thing Two,   $100.00,              $300.00

Hopefully, you were looking for something like that.

Go ahead and adapt that to your needs based on your table structures and data.

Sincerely,

Chris O.

0
Chris2

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

Multiple Worksheet
I'm not sure how to explain this, but here we go. I have a workbook w/ multiple worksheets. The first worksheet is titled ALL. This includes all information from other worksheets. How can I have certain information transfer to other worksheets by recognizing initials? Basically if the "All" worksheet has has an S listed it - can I transfer to worksheet titled Scott w/o the beating of copy and paste? Thanks in advance. -- bonzai18 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bonzai18's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=g...

Finding all table and fields that are involved in a one to many relation (on many side) with a given field
Hi, I have a master table, and several other tables that are related to this master through one to many relations. How can I find all tables and fields which are in relation with the primary key in the master table, on "many" side? I know I can extract this by querying views from INFORMATION_SCHEMA, but I don't know where exactly I can find this info Thank you One way Select op.name As ParentTableName, oc.name As ChildTableName, c.name As ChildColumnName From sys.foreign_key_columns kc Inner Join sys.objects op On kc.parent_object_id = op.object_id Inner Jo...

Selecting A single Month From a Table with Multiple Months
The following code is used as the criteria in a selct query for a date field: >=DateSerial(Year(Date()),Month(Date())-1,1) And <=DateSerial(Year(Date()),Month(Date()),0) It has worked fine until the table included records from January 2010, database was created in 2009. Is there a fix or a better way to accomplish the intent? Not sure what your problem is the expressions you have return the first and last day of the prior month. So this is February 3, 2010 and the expression return 1/1/2010 and 1/31/2010. What do you want returned? What is the problem you are ha...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Find values of properties of checkbox
How do you find the values of a property (such as whether or not they are checked) when the check boxes have been created on the fly? Any help would be much appreciated! *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** "Mike P" <mike.parr@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OBhh2ds4KHA.1924@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > How do you find the values of a property (such as whether or not they > are checked) when the check boxes have been created on the fly? Is it a Web or WinForms application? If you did not keep a Reference to the checkboxe...

Using secured OMA

Item in account will not show in budget.
My wife's social security income will not show in budget - actual. I assign the item to an income category (wife SS) yet it will not show in the budget actual column - it stays 0. ? thanks for ant help Hald I had the same thing happen. If you just started using money or the social security income is a new addition, meaning you never have entered it into money before, or if the transaction happened before the 1st of the month it won't show up. For the last one you have to adjust the setting at the top (the drop down box) for the time period you want to view. For the others you ...

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces

How to find the associated FrameWnd from a view ?
In a MDI application, how can I find the associated FrameWnd of a CEditView? The code fragment below works, but there must be a simpler and direct method. Any suggestions? CMainFrame* pFrame = (CMainFrame *)AfxGetApp()->m_pMainWnd; CFrameWnd* pNextWnd=pFrame->GetActiveFrame(); // then check every FrameWnd until a match is found: pNextWnd = (CFrameWnd*) pNextWnd->GetNextWindow(); ... Use GetParentFrame: ASSERT_VALID(pView); CFrameWnd* pFrameWnd = pView->GetParentFrame(); ASSERT_VALID(pFrameWnd); --------- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com Wow, I am impresse...

What do you use Excel for?

using extended desktop mode
How can I move an Excel spreadsheet onto my second monitor. Word and Internet provide no problems, I just click & drag. Same way. You have to have the application window in a non-maximised state though, and you can then drag it from one to the other, or even size it so it spreads across the two screens completely. If I have the window maximised though, I am unable to drag it from screen to screen. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�-------------------------...