Using a combo box to determine which field to search.

What I want to do, hopefully, will be simple enough.  I want to have a search
form that has two fields, one a combo box and the other an unbound field.  I
want the combo box to list the different fields within a table that I want to
search.  I want the unbound field to be where I enter the criteria for
searching the field that I selected in the combo box.  In the past I usually
just created an unbound form and created unbound fields for each field and
then call the fields to the query.  This has always worked well enough but
thought It would be easier using 2 fields as opposed to many.  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

vander

Try this --
Your table having Field1, Field2, Field3 and Field4.
Combo having two fields --
1 Field1
2 Field2
3 Field3
4 Field4

Search_Field:  IIF([Forms]![YourForm][Cbo1] = 1, Field1,
IIF([Forms]![YourForm][Cbo1] = 2, Field2, IIF([Forms]![YourForm][Cbo1] = 3,
Field3, Field4)))

Criteria:  [Forms]![YourForm][Text1]

--
Build a little, test a little.

"vander via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> What I want to do, hopefully, will be simple enough.  I want to have a search
> form that has two fields, one a combo box and the other an unbound field.  I
> want the combo box to list the different fields within a table that I want to
> search.  I want the unbound field to be where I enter the criteria for
> searching the field that I selected in the combo box.  In the past I usually
> just created an unbound form and created unbound fields for each field and
> then call the fields to the query.  This has always worked well enough but
> thought It would be easier using 2 fields as opposed to many.  Any help would
> be greatly appreciated.

> .

Thanks Karl,  I appreciate the help, but one question. How do I set up the
combo box so that it lists field names as opposed to records.

KARL DEWEY wrote:
>Try this --
>Your table having Field1, Field2, Field3 and Field4.
>Combo having two fields --
>1 Field1
>2 Field2
>3 Field3
>4 Field4
>
>Search_Field:  IIF([Forms]![YourForm][Cbo1] = 1, Field1,
>IIF([Forms]![YourForm][Cbo1] = 2, Field2, IIF([Forms]![YourForm][Cbo1] = 3,
>Field3, Field4)))
>
>Criteria:  [Forms]![YourForm][Text1]
>
>> What I want to do, hopefully, will be simple enough.  I want to have a search
>> form that has two fields, one a combo box and the other an unbound field.  I
>[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>> thought It would be easier using 2 fields as opposed to many.  Any help would
>> be greatly appreciated.

vander
6/7/2010 10:08:12 PM
vander wrote:
>What I want to do, hopefully, will be simple enough.  I want to have a search
>form that has two fields, one a combo box and the other an unbound field.  I
>want the combo box to list the different fields within a table that I want to
>search.  I want the unbound field to be where I enter the criteria for
>searching the field that I selected in the combo box.  In the past I usually
>just created an unbound form and created unbound fields for each field and
>then call the fields to the query.  This has always worked well enough but
>thought It would be easier using 2 fields as opposed to many.  Any help would
>be greatly appreciated.

You would have to build the filter on the fly... If you open it as a query,
you'd have to use a temporary or stored query that whose SQL property you
could overwrite.  The rest is pretty easy....

control source for first combobox:
SELECT Name FROM MSysObjects WHERE Type = 1 AND Name Not Like "MSys*";

control source for second combobox would be a bit more fun...

Private Sub Combo0_AfterUpdate()
    PopulateSecondComboWithFieldNames Me.Combo0
End Sub

Private Sub PopulateSecondComboWithFieldNames(ByVal strTable As String)
    Dim tdf As DAO.TableDef
    Dim fld As DAO.Field
    Dim lngIndex As Long

    Set tdf = DBEngine(0)(0).TableDefs(strTable)
    For Each fld In tdf.Fields
        Me.Combo2.AddItem fld.name, Index:=lngIndex
        lngIndex = lngIndex + 1
    Next fld
End Sub

then you'd have to use these controls to build your SQL statement, and then
you'd probably need to assign the result of that to a holder query's SQL
property... eg

DBEngine(0)(0).QueryDefs("HolderQuery").SQL = <your function to build query>

PieterLinden

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

Finding all table and fields that are involved in a one to many relation (on many side) with a given field
Hi, I have a master table, and several other tables that are related to this master through one to many relations. How can I find all tables and fields which are in relation with the primary key in the master table, on "many" side? I know I can extract this by querying views from INFORMATION_SCHEMA, but I don't know where exactly I can find this info Thank you One way Select op.name As ParentTableName, oc.name As ChildTableName, c.name As ChildColumnName From sys.foreign_key_columns kc Inner Join sys.objects op On kc.parent_object_id = op.object_id Inner Jo...

Activities View & Regarding Field
Is it possible to see the Regarding name in the activities view? I know it is possible to exit the activity view throught the view editor e.g. http://crm/tools/viewEditor/viewManager.aspx?id={00000000-0000-0000-00AA-000010001902} for all activities though this only allows addition of a few fields. if I look in the SavedQueryBase, the view {00000000-0000-0000-00AA-000010001902} gives a FetchXml string with the activity fields. the display text for the regarding field is available in the Activity view as the ObjectName field Can one simply add the ObjectName field to this to provide the rega...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Pivot Tables, calculated fields
I'm trying to add two calculated fields to a pivot tabe. I'd prefer that the field calculation the takes a row item quantity or dollar figure and calculates the item as a percentage of the total. Such as region xx has 85% of the total sales units but only 78% of the total sales dollars. Can anyone help me? Instead of a calculated field, you can add data fields to the pivot table. In the pivot table wizard, double-click the data field button Click the Options button For 'Show data as', select % of column. Excel GuRu wrote: > I'm trying to add two calculated field...

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces

To: Field sloooow behavior
Some users (including myself, up until a recent rebuild of my PC) are suffering from this odd behavior and I'm hoping one of you can help. Using Outlook 2007 on a domain with Exhange 2003; some users on XP Pro, some on Vista Enterprise. I fire up a new email and start typing in the To: field. Sometimes it takes a few seconds for the letters to appear. Worse yet, if I make a mistake and need to backspace, it can take several seconds to erase the characters. I thought I had narrowed the problem down to Windows Desktop Search because uninstalling it eliminated the problem on one use...

What do you use Excel for?

using extended desktop mode
How can I move an Excel spreadsheet onto my second monitor. Word and Internet provide no problems, I just click & drag. Same way. You have to have the application window in a non-maximised state though, and you can then drag it from one to the other, or even size it so it spreads across the two screens completely. If I have the window maximised though, I am unable to drag it from screen to screen. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�-------------------------...

Searching link
I am new to use Ms. Access, please some one guide me in this matter: I have created a database but unable to create "Search / Find Option". I want to create data base of employees (name , designaiton , contact nos......etc) I just want one field on form, where I enter name of employee and then click button to search all criteria (designation, contact no. etc) which match simalar as i typed. the detail will be display below. Kindly give me some tips in this regard. I will be thankful. Regards, -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/acce...

How do I used the outlook?
I don't know my microsoft exchange sever so I can't put in the right user name. What should I do? Version of Outlook? Close outlook. Go to control panel, mail and delete the current profile and make a new profile - Choose the correct account type - for most people its POP3, but could be IMAP. If you need more assistance with this we need to know the version of Outlook and who your email provider is. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:daily...