update two fields at once

Hi Access Gurus,

In A2003 I want to write an update query which updates about ten fields at
once.  The idea is that if any one of these fields is null, I update it with
a value read from a linked Excel table.

For the sake of simplicity, let's say I have only 2 fields, F1 and F2.
Either one of them might have a null value.  The logic is: IF F1 is null,
update it, and IF F2 is null, update it, but if the field already has a
value (is non-null), let it alone.  Can I do this in one update query, or do
I have to write a separate query for each field I am updating?  In the query
pane (I do not do visual Basic), I would like to be able to write for the
Update To slot:

IIF(IsNull(F1), ExcelTable.F1, Let ThisField Alone)
IIF(IsNull(F2), ExcelTable.F2, Let ThisField Alone)

but, of course, I do not have a token such as LetThisFieldAlone.  I guess I
am trying to finesse a conditional update.  Is something like this possible?
Or should I just bite the bullet and write 10 separate update queries, each
one simple, but, when executed one by one, very slow?

0
John

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 13:35:02 -0500, "John MilburySteen"
<j.milbury@comcast.net> wrote:

>Hi Access Gurus,
>
>In A2003 I want to write an update query which updates about ten fields at
>once.  The idea is that if any one of these fields is null, I update it with
>a value read from a linked Excel table.
>
>For the sake of simplicity, let's say I have only 2 fields, F1 and F2.
>Either one of them might have a null value.  The logic is: IF F1 is null,
>update it, and IF F2 is null, update it, but if the field already has a
>value (is non-null), let it alone.  Can I do this in one update query, or do
>I have to write a separate query for each field I am updating?  In the query
>pane (I do not do visual Basic), I would like to be able to write for the
>Update To slot:
>
>IIF(IsNull(F1), ExcelTable.F1, Let ThisField Alone)
>IIF(IsNull(F2), ExcelTable.F2, Let ThisField Alone)
>
>but, of course, I do not have a token such as LetThisFieldAlone.  I guess I
>am trying to finesse a conditional update.  Is something like this possible?
>Or should I just bite the bullet and write 10 separate update queries, each
>one simple, but, when executed one by one, very slow?

A tricky but simple solution is to update F1 to

NZ([AccessTable].[F1], [ExcelTable].[F1])

and the same for the other fields. If the Access table field is not NULL, the
NZ (Null To Zero) function will return it (updating the field to itself, a
do-nothing operation); if it is NULL it will pull the value from the Excel
table.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]

0
John

Update for MS Money 2005?

Two different outlook programs on my desktop?
Can I have two different outlook mail programs running on my desktop using two different servers (Xplornet-satelight system, and Sympatico-dialup)? If I can, do I have to download the second Outlook, or how do I get another blank Outlook to start from scratch with for my new email address? My husband and I need two different accounts and would like to have both using Outlook. If this means anything, I am using Vista. Would it work if I switch to another user name/profile when I log onto my computer? That would be very easy then... Thanks, Ann -- gouligann no, yo...

Problem with Script Updating

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Update question

Adding two fields together
Does anyone have a solution how can I manage the following: Basic setup: Custom entity with many nvarchar attributes. I created a custom view and selected a filter and the fields I want to have. (I need to export those to Excel-sheet) The problem is that lets say I have attributes A and B, which are ofcourse shown as different fields in the view. What I want is to have them in the same cell in Excel (when I do export) and not in two different columns. Is there any easy way to achieve this without touching the entity itself? (or do I have to create a custom attribute C and some java script On...

How update entity in post update?

latest update too MSCFV2

Dynamic Menu update

online updates for money2003(not updating)

Payroll Update

[ANN] Excel X security update

FWD: Try on these correction update from the MS Corp.
--omvflfmgecbtuznop Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="pesxyyfvxtk"; type="multipart/alternative" --pesxyyfvxtk Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="locjfxspwlfruwcg" --locjfxspwlfruwcg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to continue keeping your computer secure from th...

comapre two lists
Hi once i did this, but now i've forgotten the formula. I want to comapre two lists, I want to use a conditional formatting, so that those cells that their contents doesn't exist in the other list would be marked in color gray. if anyone can help please! last time I remeber I used the function countif(). thanks a lot. Mansure Hi if your lists are in A1:A100 and B1:B100 try: - select A1:A100 - goto the conditional format dialog - enter the formula =COUNTIF($B$1:$B$100,A1)=0 - choose your format -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "mansure" <mansure@discussions.mi...

HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE?

Cannot Update office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and what can be done to correct it I have the same problem with Tiger 10.4.11. "efrosini@officeformac.com" wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: intel > > When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and ...

Cannot update table--only does SQL insert
Hi, just another newbie type of question.... i have a new window with its own table. i'm doing a "copy from window to table" &c, and it works fine to insert data the first time. however, i can tell from the SQL Profiler that when I try to modify the data, it does not do an update--it tries to do another insert (and of course, can't). Is there something I should be setting in Dexterity somewhere to make the table updatable, or do I need to manage this with PassThroughSQL? thanks in advance. Table operations are covered in detail during the Dexterity Training, pl...

How do I merge two publisher files?
I am using publisher 2003. I am creating an 80 page catalog. I like to save page 1-10 as file one, pages 11-20 as file two and so on. When I am finished with my catalog I need to send one file to the printer. How can I merge all of my pages together in one file? Copy and paste. Or if you have Acrobat (not just the free Reader) you can create a single .pdf file with the parts. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "screnda" <screnda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF96E50B-CBC8-4A5A-A854-D7EE130CE9AD@microsoft.com... >I am using publisher 200...

compare a value in two w/books
Looking for a simple code for: If this worksheet $b$2 value=other w/book sheet1 $h$2 value then msg"value exists" and exit sub() ,if not do something else.(both w/books are in same folder) If Activesheet.Range("B2").Value = Workbooks("other.xls").Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("H2") Then Msgbox "Value exists" End if -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "TUNGANA KURMA RAJU" <TUNGANAKURMARAJU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:954E6CAF-A203-4571-A63A-F8012AF3F06D...

Advanced Find Fields
Each entity attribute should have a checkbox value which determines whether or not it appears in the Advanced Find tool...Advanced find looks very confusing / busy to end-users when there are dozens and dozens of fields available Superb tool though! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Ag...