Update this excel import

I've imported data from an excel ss that looks like this:

Org A         5        Z
                 7        M
                 1        K
Org B         5        N
                 3        L
                 1        K
Org C         4        W

So, a field with the org, that is only filled in on the first line but
applies to the empty  lines below it, then a number field (all filled), then
a txt field (all filled).  Any ideas how I can update the org into the empty
fields or do any kind of update query to use the data assigned to that org?
OTHER THAN CUT/PASTE?  thanx

It would be much easier to correct it in Excel before importing it into Access.

Assume your "OrgA" starts in column A on row 6 and the last row for "OrgC"
is in column A row 20.

Hi-Lite cells A6 through A20.
Press your "F5" function key.
Click "Special..."
Check "Blanks"
Click "OK"

Now in cell A7, which is where you should be if you followed the preceding
steps, enter +A6 ... but rather than just hitting Enter ... hold down the
Control (Ctrl)  Key and then hit Enter.  This should fill in all of the blank
cells with data from above.

Then, again hi-lite the cells A6 through A20, copy them, Right-Click on any
of the Hi-Lited cells, select "Paste Special", check "Values" and click "OK".

Now all of your rows will be filled as you requested.  Save the file.

Finally, goto Access and import the desired data.

Good Luck.

"Maarkr" wrote:

> I've imported data from an excel ss that looks like this:
>
> Org A         5        Z
>                  7        M
>                  1        K
> Org B         5        N
>                  3        L
>                  1        K
> Org C         4        W
>
> So, a field with the org, that is only filled in on the first line but
> applies to the empty  lines below it, then a number field (all filled), then
> a txt field (all filled).  Any ideas how I can update the org into the empty
> fields or do any kind of update query to use the data assigned to that org?
> OTHER THAN CUT/PASTE?  thanx

Maarkr,
The data looks like a one to many relationship.
A table for Org and a separate for the other 2 fields.
It is awkward data because the Org value is only specified for some records.
Is this a one off import?
Are there heaps of records?
Do you have access to the spreadsheet where you could fill in the null
values in the spreadsheet?

If you want to automate the import, you could open a recordset on the
imported data and row by row append it to the appropriate tables (one table
for Org and a related table for the other 2 fields).

Jeanette Cunningham

"Maarkr" <Maarkr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've imported data from an excel ss that looks like this:
>
> Org A         5        Z
>                 7        M
>                 1        K
> Org B         5        N
>                 3        L
>                 1        K
> Org C         4        W
>
> So, a field with the org, that is only filled in on the first line but
> applies to the empty  lines below it, then a number field (all filled),
> then
> a txt field (all filled).  Any ideas how I can update the org into the
> empty
> fields or do any kind of update query to use the data assigned to that
> org?
> OTHER THAN CUT/PASTE?  thanx

0
Jeanette

Why do I have a runaway cursor in Excel
About half of the time I open an Excel file, I try to position the cursor on a particular cell and the cursor just runs away, cannot stop it, have to kill the session with task manager. Any ideas? This is Excel 2003 Hi Peter99, > About half of the time I open an Excel file, I try to position the cursor on > a particular cell and the cursor just runs away, cannot stop it, have to kill > the session with task manager. Any ideas? This is Excel 2003 See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt for a host of possible causes. Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse Excel MVP www.jk...

Update for MS Money 2005?

Importing folder structure in OL2000
I have an extensive folder structure to keep all sorts of large files. I want to have the structure of my OL pst files to match the folder structure. I played around with the OL import features, but can't find anything. Does anybody know how to do this? After it's done the 1st time around, any chance to keep it in sync? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! ...

Publishing excel Speadsheet to web page
I have a sheet that I am publishing it to a web page. Most sheets come out to a 40K file except 1. This one publishes to a size of 2.5mb. All sheets have hyperlinked data but the one that gives me the largest file has the least data and hyperlinks. Any suggestions? Thank you Chris Your usedrange is to big Chris on that sheet Debra Dalgleish's site http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "Chris" <chrispknight@aol.com> wrote in message news:dfd501c3f0c0$9b5fcdc0$a101280a@phx.gbl... ...

Problem with Script Updating

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

How can I pre format all Excel comments
How can I pre format all Excel comments to Tahoma, font size 12, in BOLD, in all workbooks and worksheets as my default. You have multiple responses in .misc. MongoMan wrote: > > How can I pre format all Excel comments to Tahoma, font size 12, in BOLD, in > all workbooks and worksheets as my default. -- Dave Peterson ...

Excel 2010 Slicer Connection / Pivot Table Problem
Working in Excel 2010 beta. I have two pivot tables created from different SSAS cubes. I have PowerPivot add in installed, but not using it for this project. The two pivot tables both share several similar dimensions. When I try to connect a given slicer to both pivot tables, the 2nd pivot table is not available in the "Pivot Table Connections" window. The only pivot table listed in the "Pivot Table Connections" is the one for which the slicer was originally created. All of the posts I've seen so far say that all the pivot tables in the workbook should appear...

MSWORD to EXCEL
How do I import and retain formatting from MSWord into an Excel document so that the data does not come into excel as an object, but will paste into the cells/columns correctly? If you have a table in Word, it will copy and paste into the spreadsheet, but not sure how to keep the formatting, font, etc. ...

Wildcards in Excel Formulas
I am working on an Excel spreadsheet and I am tyring to write a formula to read the 4th character of previously entered data For instance, codes entered in column A could be eadSvf1 and eadNvf1. I need a formula to read that 4th character and put a 1 or 2 in column B depending on if the 4th character is an S or an N Hope that made sense and thanks in advance. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ got it, thanks anyway, I ended up using the MID function ...

Update question

formatting excell
How do I make an entire row change to a new color if one cell in that row gets any data entered into it? Select your range. I selected A1, then selected the whole worksheet (ctrl-a (twice in xl2003)) Then with A1 the activecell. format|conditional formatting I used a formula of: =counta(1:1)>0 and formatted the pattern nicely. Vstar1969 wrote: > > How do I make an entire row change to a new color if one cell in that row > gets any data entered into it? -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Excel cells changes number format automatically
I am using Excel 2007. Many of the cells I am working on are in general format where I store various numbers for analysis. These values change itself to date format occassionally creating whole lot of work for me to change them back to general format. How can I solve this issue? Also in my pivot table, my source data is in general format. Still when I click on sub total in any catagory in the table to find details about it, formats are changed date format in the new sheet it pops up. Can someone help resolve this issue. ...

eConnect
We've been importing Timesheets from an external system into GP via eConnect for the last few months and it's been working fine. However we've recently decided to change the Unit of Measure that we're using when specifying times (basically so that we can use a daily rate rather than hourly rate in the rate table). When I enter a timesheet manually in the system, I select the alternative UoM and it all works fine. However when I import data using eConnect the process does not pick up the newly specified UoM (the PAUnitOfMeasure field in timesheetline). There are no errors in...

How update entity in post update?

help needed with excel 97
I need help with a problem that I'm having. I've got about 300 sheets i my excel workbook. I need to copy the data from cell B5 on ever sheet,into a new sheet. What can I do -- sithlord3 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sithlord3k's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2751 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47025 Copy to where? You may want to try something like this: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/sum_the_same_cell_in_multiple_microsoft_excel_worksheets.htm *******...

Take a look at these important package from Microsoft Corporation
--jkqcbttwekjggnsq Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="seeubmkagdiyw"; type="multipart/alternative" --seeubmkagdiyw Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="tkwbuuacscd" --tkwbuuacscd Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to help prot...

Import/export #4
Someone from work asked me (they seem to think I'm a computer whiz--fools!!) if there was a simple way to import mail and settings from Eudora to Outlook and I seem to remember reading here that the best and safest way to do it is to go from Eudora to Outlook Express and then export from OE to Outlook. Am I remembering correctly? Thanks, Tim Possibly but there's a direct route in OL2003 (Tools menu > Import & Export) "TS Mathews" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message news:3oo5tiF6sb0sU1@individual.net... > Someone from work asked me (they seem to think ...

Problems with Excel functions
I have a problem with the excel funtions. The problem is that when write a funtion as for example : = Replace(E2,12,16," ") what is displayed in the cell is the funtion that i wrote and not the result. I have been having this problem and i do not know if it's a setting on my program. Please help me on.....is URGENT... I need Excel working .... Thanks in advance Your cell was formatted as text before entering the function. Format as General and re-enter (F2, Enter) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "RITRAM" <RITRAM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

latest update too MSCFV2