Update Query Randomization

I'm now trying to update some of the data in a table with

UPDATE rawdata SET rawdata.[User] = Int((1200-1+1)*Rnd()+1);

but it updates all the values to a single random number.  Is there a way to
make it insert a different random number for each value?  The key is called ID

Test if this will work:

UPDATE rawdata SET rawdata.[User] = Int((1200-1+1)*Rnd()+[USER]);
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"Ian" wrote:

> I'm now trying to update some of the data in a table with
>
> UPDATE rawdata SET rawdata.[User] = Int((1200-1+1)*Rnd()+1);
>
> but it updates all the values to a single random number.  Is there a way to
> make it insert a different random number for each value?  The key is called ID
I'll post it in but I was hoping for the numbers to return between 1 and
1200 - let's see......
"Jerry Whittle" wrote:

> Test if this will work:
>
> UPDATE rawdata SET rawdata.[User] = Int((1200-1+1)*Rnd()+[USER]);
> --
> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Ian" wrote:
>
> > I'm now trying to update some of the data in a table with
> >
> > UPDATE rawdata SET rawdata.[User] = Int((1200-1+1)*Rnd()+1);
> >
> > but it updates all the values to a single random number.  Is there a way to
> > make it insert a different random number for each value?  The key is called ID
updated all [user] values to 1 then ran the query -- 33million records so
back in 5min.....

"Jerry Whittle" wrote:

> Test if this will work:
>
> UPDATE rawdata SET rawdata.[User] = Int((1200-1+1)*Rnd()+[USER]);
> --
> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Ian" wrote:
>
> > I'm now trying to update some of the data in a table with
> >
> > UPDATE rawdata SET rawdata.[User] = Int((1200-1+1)*Rnd()+1);
> >
> > but it updates all the values to a single random number.  Is there a way to
> > make it insert a different random number for each value?  The key is called ID
still one number

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 18:11:01 -0800, Ian <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm now trying to update some of the data in a table with
>
>UPDATE rawdata SET rawdata.[User] = Int((1200-1+1)*Rnd()+1);
>
>but it updates all the values to a single random number.  Is there a way to
>make it insert a different random number for each value?  The key is called ID

If there is a function call which does not reference some value in the query
as an argument, Access "saves time" by calling the function only once. This
makes sense in some cases (e.g. Date() ), but unfortunately has this effect
when calling Rnd().

Here's my boilerplate suggestion:

Put this little function into a Module:

Public Function RndNum(vIgnore As Variant) As Double
Static bRnd As Boolean
If Not bRnd Then
  'Initialize the random number generator once only
   bRnd = True
   Randomize
End If
RndNum = Rnd()
End Function

Then add a calculated field to your Query by typing

Shuffle: RndNum([fieldname])

In your case, use RndNum([some field]) in your expression.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

UPDATE rawdata
SET rawdata.[User] = Int((1200-1+1)*Rnd([ID])+1);

Or use the Len function if ID is text to force a number
UPDATE rawdata
SET rawdata.[User] = Int((1200-1+1)*Rnd(Len([ID]))+1);

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

Ian wrote:
> I'm now trying to update some of the data in a table with
>
> UPDATE rawdata SET rawdata.[User] = Int((1200-1+1)*Rnd()+1);
>
> but it updates all the values to a single random number.  Is there a way to
> make it insert a different random number for each value?  The key is called ID
0
John
12/28/2009 2:26:54 PM
Hi - You might try playing with this function:

Public Function RandLotto2(Bottom As Integer, Top As Integer, _
                          Amount As Integer) As String

'*******************************************
'Purpose:   Produce x random/unique/sorted numbers
'           between bottom and top.
'Coded by:  raskew
'Sources:   http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/RandomNumbers.htm
'           http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=756905 (sort routine -
Roy Vidar's post)
'Inputs:    ? RandLotto2(1, 55, 5)
'Output:    1 5 11 18 44  (5 unique, random, sorted
''*******************************************

    Dim iArr As Variant
    Dim I As Integer
    Dim j As Integer
    Dim r As Integer
    Dim Temp As Integer

    ReDim iArr(Bottom To Top)
    For I = Bottom To Top
        iArr(I) = I
    Next I

    For I = Top To Bottom + 1 Step -1
        Randomize
        r = Int(Rnd() * (I - Bottom + 1)) + Bottom
        Temp = iArr(r)
        iArr(r) = iArr(I)
        iArr(I) = Temp
    Next I

    For I = Bottom To Amount
        For j = I + 1 To Amount
            If iArr(I) > iArr(j) Then
                Temp = iArr(I)
                iArr(I) = iArr(j)
                iArr(j) = Temp
            End If
        Next j
    Next I

    For I = Bottom To Bottom + Amount - 1
        RandLotto2 = RandLotto2 & " " & iArr(I)
    Next I

    RandLotto2 = Trim(RandLotto2)

End Function

HTH - Bob

John Spencer wrote:
>Insert a number field into the call to Rnd. If ID is a number field you can use.
>
>UPDATE rawdata
>SET rawdata.[User] = Int((1200-1+1)*Rnd([ID])+1);
>
>Or use the Len function if ID is text to force a number
>UPDATE rawdata
>SET rawdata.[User] = Int((1200-1+1)*Rnd(Len([ID]))+1);
>
>John Spencer
>Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009
>The Hilltop Institute
>University of Maryland Baltimore County
>
>> I'm now trying to update some of the data in a table with
>>
>> UPDATE rawdata SET rawdata.[User] = Int((1200-1+1)*Rnd()+1);
>>
>> but it updates all the values to a single random number.  Is there a way to
>> make it insert a different random number for each value?  The key is called ID

raskew

Update for MS Money 2005?

Problem with Script Updating

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Update question

SELECT query as subquery to APPEND
I am trying to use a SELECT query as a subquery to an APPEND query to create a dynaset on the fly and append it into tblEmployeeProduction from the click of a button on a form. The only thing is that my SELECT query takes one parameter and because of that I am unsure how to set up the APPEND portion of the query or if it can be done at all. Here are the opening lines of the SELECT's SQL: PARAMETERS forms![frmSetEmpHours]![txtDate] DateTime; SELECT [FirstName] & " " & [LastName] AS Name, forms!frmSetEmpHours! txtDate AS ProductionDate, 'Do more stuff here.............

How update entity in post update?

Any way to make the web query refresh to be done in the background?
currently when refreshing the data ... the mouse pointer will be bus and nothing i can do until it finish ... any way to set it so that i can do in the background without distrubing my interaction ? Thank if anyone can help .. Regards -- kitste ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kitster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1495 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26912 ...

latest update too MSCFV2

Dynamic Menu update

online updates for money2003(not updating)

Payroll Update

[ANN] Excel X security update

Business Portal Query Security
I need to create payroll & HR queries for users, but I do not want them to have the ability to modify queries or to create new queries. Patti, Thanks for using the newsgroups. I wouldn't suggest tring to secure your data by not allowing users to create or modify queries. The best way to secure your data is through the data permissions. Only give users data permissions they should have. You can create new data permissions and take away properties if appropriate. Finally, BP has out of the box data permissions called "XXXX-Restricted Self". This means the user can...

HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE?

FWD: Try on these correction update from the MS Corp.
--omvflfmgecbtuznop Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="pesxyyfvxtk"; type="multipart/alternative" --pesxyyfvxtk Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="locjfxspwlfruwcg" --locjfxspwlfruwcg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to continue keeping your computer secure from th...

Cannot update table--only does SQL insert
Hi, just another newbie type of question.... i have a new window with its own table. i'm doing a "copy from window to table" &c, and it works fine to insert data the first time. however, i can tell from the SQL Profiler that when I try to modify the data, it does not do an update--it tries to do another insert (and of course, can't). Is there something I should be setting in Dexterity somewhere to make the table updatable, or do I need to manage this with PassThroughSQL? thanks in advance. Table operations are covered in detail during the Dexterity Training, pl...

Cannot Update office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and what can be done to correct it I have the same problem with Tiger 10.4.11. "efrosini@officeformac.com" wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: intel > > When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and ...

automatically update field
Hi I have a combo box with two columns - product & stock code. When I select a product I want the the stock code column which I have in my table to automatically populate. Is this possible to have on the actual main table? -- Thank you for your help Yes - you could use the AfterUpdate event of the combo to set the value of the control bound to the field holding the stock code. But - why ? You already have the stock code so it seems you want to store it again (twice in the same table or - even worse - in another table). Both of these are very bad ideas. You should use the rel...

Recorset not updateable in a crosstab query
I have created a crosstab query based on just one linked table using the Access wizard and when I finished I get the erro "The recorset is not updateable", clicking on OK it shows me the tahe results in the corresponding table, but if I try to see the structure of the query it shows me the structure mask but saying that in the expression "Format([DPC]:"aaaa")" there to many closing brackets. I copied the table to the current DB to avoid any links problems but the result is the same. Can anybody tell me how to solve the problem? Thanks very muc...

Problems Updating to Visual Studio 2008
I've previously used Visual C++ 4 and have now updated to Visual Studio 2008. In Visual C++ 4, I used the Class Wizard with its five tabs: Message Maps, Member Variables, OLE Automation, OLE Events, and Class Info to define an application. This structure doesn't seem to exist in Visual Studio 2008. Can anyone explain, or point me to information about, how I can get to the same functionality in Visual Studio 2008? I'd also welcome any suggestions for a book I might purchase that explains how to use Visual C++ as implemented in Visual Studio 2008. Gordon P "Gordon P...