Update query not updating

I have a strange problem with a source code generator I have created,
everything works fine for all SQL Server queries, and all the Access queries
(Insert, FetchAll, Find and Delete queries) work correctly. The update query
does not work on any table, but the code works, the queries are created
correctly, and the query is exuted without any errors, but the update does
not occur.

I have an update query, create with C# and DAO, using the CreateQueryDef
method, the query has the following text:

Update [ReferencesSets] Set [ProjectID] = @ProjectID,
[ReferencesSetName] = @ReferencesSetName

Where [ReferencesSets.ReferencesSetID] = @ReferencesSetID

When I create the query and open in Access 2003, view SQL model >>

Access shows the query like the following:

UPDATE ReferencesSets SET
ReferencesSets.ProjectID = @ProjectID,
ReferencesSets.ReferencesSetName = @ReferencesSetName
WHERE ((([ReferencesSets.ReferencesSetID])=[@ReferencesSetID]));

I have tried to manually change the update query to the same as the Query
Text above, and the result is the same, no records affected.

Access wraps the where clause expression in nested parentheses "("
for some reason. But the problem is when I execute the query with the
following code:

            // initial value
            int rowsAffected = 0;

            // Create Command Object
            OleDbCommand command = new OleDbCommand();

            // Set properties
            command.Connection = databaseConnection;
            command.CommandType = commandType;
            command.CommandText = procedureName;

            // Set Parameters
            SetParameters(command, parameters);

            // Execute Query
            rowsAffected = command.ExecuteNonQuery();

// Code for Set Parameters converts the SQL Parameter collection to an
OleDbCollection, (because my StoredProcedure class has a SQL[] parameter
array, but the code below shows how the SqlParameters were created

                    // Create parameter for [ProjectID]
                    param = new SqlParameter("@ProjectID",
referencesSets.ProjectID);
                    parameters[0] = param;

                    // Create parameter for [ReferencesSetID]
                    param = new SqlParameter("@ReferencesSetID",
ReferencesSetID);
                    parameters[1] = param;

                    // Create parameter for [ReferencesSetName]
                    param = new SqlParameter("@ReferencesSetName",
referencesSets.ReferencesSetName);
                    parameters[2] = param;

The code for set parameters loops through each parameter and creates an
OleDbParameter with the following code:

           // verify all objects exist
            if ((parameters != null) && (command != null) &&
(command.Parameters != null))
            {
                // Clear All Parameters
                command.Parameters.Clear();

                // Add each parameter
                foreach(SqlParameter param in parameters)
                {
                    // if the value is null
                    if(param.Value == null)
                    {
                        // Set type to string
                        if(param.DbType == DbType.String)
                        {
                            // set value to "";
                            param.Value = "";
                        }
                    }

                    // Create OleDbParam
                    OleDbParameter oleDbParam = new
OleDbParameter(param.ParameterName, param.Value);

                    // Add each param
                    command.Parameters.Add(oleDbParam);
                }
            }

I have stepped through code and all the values are supplied correctly, the
@ReferencesSetID is set to an existing record in the database, the
command.ExecuteNonQuery() does not return any rows but an error does not
occur. Is there any way to diagnose this, the same code as a SQL stored proc
works fine. I am pulling my hair (singular) out.  Is there a way to get the
execution path or find out what Access did with the query and why?

Any help or clue as to how to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

Corby Nichols

The rowsAffected comes back as 0, and the query does not get updated.

I solved my problem so I thought I post the reason the query failed, in
Access, although I had the query parameters named correctly, the order of the
queries must be the exact same as the query is expecting, I did not encounter
this problem using SQL Server, the same parameter creator was used for SQL
Server and the update queries worked, so I believe this is an Access issue.
Any MVP's want to confirm my theory, that the queries must be in the exact
order even though the names match the query parameter namesZ? This solved my
problem any way.

Just thought I would post my own solution.

Corby Nichols

Update for MS Money 2005?

Problem with Script Updating

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Update question

SELECT query as subquery to APPEND
I am trying to use a SELECT query as a subquery to an APPEND query to create a dynaset on the fly and append it into tblEmployeeProduction from the click of a button on a form. The only thing is that my SELECT query takes one parameter and because of that I am unsure how to set up the APPEND portion of the query or if it can be done at all. Here are the opening lines of the SELECT's SQL: PARAMETERS forms![frmSetEmpHours]![txtDate] DateTime; SELECT [FirstName] & " " & [LastName] AS Name, forms!frmSetEmpHours! txtDate AS ProductionDate, 'Do more stuff here.............

How update entity in post update?

Any way to make the web query refresh to be done in the background?
currently when refreshing the data ... the mouse pointer will be bus and nothing i can do until it finish ... any way to set it so that i can do in the background without distrubing my interaction ? Thank if anyone can help .. Regards -- kitste ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kitster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1495 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26912 ...

latest update too MSCFV2

Dynamic Menu update

online updates for money2003(not updating)

Payroll Update

[ANN] Excel X security update

Business Portal Query Security
I need to create payroll & HR queries for users, but I do not want them to have the ability to modify queries or to create new queries. Patti, Thanks for using the newsgroups. I wouldn't suggest tring to secure your data by not allowing users to create or modify queries. The best way to secure your data is through the data permissions. Only give users data permissions they should have. You can create new data permissions and take away properties if appropriate. Finally, BP has out of the box data permissions called "XXXX-Restricted Self". This means the user can...

HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE?

FWD: Try on these correction update from the MS Corp.
--omvflfmgecbtuznop Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="pesxyyfvxtk"; type="multipart/alternative" --pesxyyfvxtk Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="locjfxspwlfruwcg" --locjfxspwlfruwcg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to continue keeping your computer secure from th...

Cannot update table--only does SQL insert
Hi, just another newbie type of question.... i have a new window with its own table. i'm doing a "copy from window to table" &c, and it works fine to insert data the first time. however, i can tell from the SQL Profiler that when I try to modify the data, it does not do an update--it tries to do another insert (and of course, can't). Is there something I should be setting in Dexterity somewhere to make the table updatable, or do I need to manage this with PassThroughSQL? thanks in advance. Table operations are covered in detail during the Dexterity Training, pl...

Cannot Update office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and what can be done to correct it I have the same problem with Tiger 10.4.11. "efrosini@officeformac.com" wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: intel > > When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and ...

automatically update field
Hi I have a combo box with two columns - product & stock code. When I select a product I want the the stock code column which I have in my table to automatically populate. Is this possible to have on the actual main table? -- Thank you for your help Yes - you could use the AfterUpdate event of the combo to set the value of the control bound to the field holding the stock code. But - why ? You already have the stock code so it seems you want to store it again (twice in the same table or - even worse - in another table). Both of these are very bad ideas. You should use the rel...

Recorset not updateable in a crosstab query
I have created a crosstab query based on just one linked table using the Access wizard and when I finished I get the erro "The recorset is not updateable", clicking on OK it shows me the tahe results in the corresponding table, but if I try to see the structure of the query it shows me the structure mask but saying that in the expression "Format([DPC]:"aaaa")" there to many closing brackets. I copied the table to the current DB to avoid any links problems but the result is the same. Can anybody tell me how to solve the problem? Thanks very muc...

Problems Updating to Visual Studio 2008
I've previously used Visual C++ 4 and have now updated to Visual Studio 2008. In Visual C++ 4, I used the Class Wizard with its five tabs: Message Maps, Member Variables, OLE Automation, OLE Events, and Class Info to define an application. This structure doesn't seem to exist in Visual Studio 2008. Can anyone explain, or point me to information about, how I can get to the same functionality in Visual Studio 2008? I'd also welcome any suggestions for a book I might purchase that explains how to use Visual C++ as implemented in Visual Studio 2008. Gordon P "Gordon P...