Update Link Tables from Excel

I recently got an update from Office 97 to Office 2003. We're just slightly
behind the times.

Anyway, I had an access database in 97 that would link to an Excel file that
I would use to add data to the Excel file based upon information in a master
table in Access.

Now when I try to run the query in Access 2003, it gives me an error that it
is not an updateable query.

I suppose I could export the master data to an Excel spreadsheet and use a
VLookup function, copy and paste to all the records that need to be updated
and the copy and paste values, but I originally did this in Access to make it
simpler.

Any ideas why it no longer works?

Thanks!

Nevermind - foundthis statement on article 904953:

Because of legal issues, Microsoft has disabled the functionality in Access
2003 and in Access 2002 that let users change the data in linked tables that
point to a range in an Excel workbook. However, when you make changes
directly in the Excel workbook, the changes appear in the linked table in
Access.

Probably should have stayed with 97.

"BlairH" wrote:

> I recently got an update from Office 97 to Office 2003. We're just slightly
> behind the times.
>
> Anyway, I had an access database in 97 that would link to an Excel file that
> I would use to add data to the Excel file based upon information in a master
> table in Access.
>
> Now when I try to run the query in Access 2003, it gives me an error that it
> is not an updateable query.
>
> I suppose I could export the master data to an Excel spreadsheet and use a
> VLookup function, copy and paste to all the records that need to be updated
> and the copy and paste values, but I originally did this in Access to make it
> simpler.
>
> Any ideas why it no longer works?
>
> Thanks!

Update for MS Money 2005?

Error: Can't clean up the following tables: PriceLevel. 02-13-05
Hello all, using CRM 1.2 on a win2k3 server we get this error in the application event log: Source: MSCRMDeletionService Event ID: 5895 - Error: Can't clean up the following tables: PriceLevel. Category: none User: n/a Computer: our_exchange_server ooppps, I forgot, of course many thanks in advance for any tip! ...

Why do I have a runaway cursor in Excel
About half of the time I open an Excel file, I try to position the cursor on a particular cell and the cursor just runs away, cannot stop it, have to kill the session with task manager. Any ideas? This is Excel 2003 Hi Peter99, > About half of the time I open an Excel file, I try to position the cursor on > a particular cell and the cursor just runs away, cannot stop it, have to kill > the session with task manager. Any ideas? This is Excel 2003 See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt for a host of possible causes. Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse Excel MVP www.jk...

Publishing excel Speadsheet to web page
I have a sheet that I am publishing it to a web page. Most sheets come out to a 40K file except 1. This one publishes to a size of 2.5mb. All sheets have hyperlinked data but the one that gives me the largest file has the least data and hyperlinks. Any suggestions? Thank you Chris Your usedrange is to big Chris on that sheet Debra Dalgleish's site http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "Chris" <chrispknight@aol.com> wrote in message news:dfd501c3f0c0$9b5fcdc0$a101280a@phx.gbl... ...

pivot table with dynamic base data
hiya, im trying to create a pivot table where I can change my base data (inserting or deleting rows of data) and still have this reflected in the pivot table. My solution was to use entire columns as my range for input to the pivotTable, but this means including blank rows which seems to muck up the calculations. I cant think how else i can allow for new rows to be added to the base data anyone got any ideas how to do this? thanks loads for your help! You can use a dynamic range as the source. There are instructions here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html bb wrote: > hiy...

Problem with Script Updating

From temporary table to master table and then join this in junction table
Hello, I have imported two spreadsheets from excel to two temporary tables called "import_tbl_contract" and "import_tbl_products". I do this on daily basis and import many spreadsheets. I end up with these data: [import_tbl_contract] contract_number contract_title start_date end_date [import_tbl_products] product_number product_text price I now append these data to the following two tables: [tbl_contract] contract_id (PK) contract_title start_date end_date e.g. 1; Syringes and needles; 01-01-2010; 31-12-2010 [tbl_products] product_id ...

Excel 2010 Slicer Connection / Pivot Table Problem
Working in Excel 2010 beta. I have two pivot tables created from different SSAS cubes. I have PowerPivot add in installed, but not using it for this project. The two pivot tables both share several similar dimensions. When I try to connect a given slicer to both pivot tables, the 2nd pivot table is not available in the "Pivot Table Connections" window. The only pivot table listed in the "Pivot Table Connections" is the one for which the slicer was originally created. All of the posts I've seen so far say that all the pivot tables in the workbook should appear...

MSWORD to EXCEL
How do I import and retain formatting from MSWord into an Excel document so that the data does not come into excel as an object, but will paste into the cells/columns correctly? If you have a table in Word, it will copy and paste into the spreadsheet, but not sure how to keep the formatting, font, etc. ...

How can I pre format all Excel comments
How can I pre format all Excel comments to Tahoma, font size 12, in BOLD, in all workbooks and worksheets as my default. You have multiple responses in .misc. MongoMan wrote: > > How can I pre format all Excel comments to Tahoma, font size 12, in BOLD, in > all workbooks and worksheets as my default. -- Dave Peterson ...

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Update question

Wildcards in Excel Formulas
I am working on an Excel spreadsheet and I am tyring to write a formula to read the 4th character of previously entered data For instance, codes entered in column A could be eadSvf1 and eadNvf1. I need a formula to read that 4th character and put a 1 or 2 in column B depending on if the 4th character is an S or an N Hope that made sense and thanks in advance. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ got it, thanks anyway, I ended up using the MID function ...

Excel cells changes number format automatically
I am using Excel 2007. Many of the cells I am working on are in general format where I store various numbers for analysis. These values change itself to date format occassionally creating whole lot of work for me to change them back to general format. How can I solve this issue? Also in my pivot table, my source data is in general format. Still when I click on sub total in any catagory in the table to find details about it, formats are changed date format in the new sheet it pops up. Can someone help resolve this issue. ...

How update entity in post update?

Linking Workbooks and minimising file sizes
Spec: presently have a "user" workbook of about 70 worksheets. this will be sent to managers. Am trying to make a Rough Work worksheet which will contain all raw data needed for calculations in the "user" workbook. I dont want the managers to see/receive the "Rough Work" file. E.G. Monthly figs in rough work sheet are used to calculated "% of work acheived this year" in the user workbook. Problem: 1) how do i link the data AND keep file size down?? 2) how can i split up the "user" workbook into manageable chunks which can, for example...

help needed with excel 97
I need help with a problem that I'm having. I've got about 300 sheets i my excel workbook. I need to copy the data from cell B5 on ever sheet,into a new sheet. What can I do -- sithlord3 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sithlord3k's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2751 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47025 Copy to where? You may want to try something like this: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/sum_the_same_cell_in_multiple_microsoft_excel_worksheets.htm *******...

Excel 2003 -- Problem selecting link range within an autoshape.
In a multitab worksheet, we have a rectangluar autoshape on each sheet. The rectangluar shapes are not moved or resized with cells. The shapes are set to no fill. On any sheet, if you want to select a range within the rectangle on that sheet, there is no problem. But if you want to link from one sheet to another -- i.e type = for a cell's contents and then go to another sheet to select a cell or cells -- you are not permitted to select a cell within that other sheet's autoshape. One may select a range that overlaps the autoshape, however. One can also manually enter the range,...

Pasting chart worksheet as link 2007
A chart created in 2007 and sitting in it's own sheet (not included on the data worksheet) will not display entirely if pasted as link (neither into Word nor PPT) Some of the chart seems to be "cut off" in the linked object. This seems to be connected to how much of the "canvas" is visible in Excel. Viewing the chart in Excel on a zoom so that it fills the whole screen seems to remedy this. Is there some setting in Excel that would allow us to set the worksheet chart to automatically size to window? Or else: does anyone know a way of pasting a worksheet chart as ...

SQL Server Back End: Work Tables DAO or SQL Server?
Let's say we have an MS Access form with a half-dozen subforms. Parent record gets displayed on part of the form and various lists of child records are on the six subforms. Now, for the sake of argument; let's say there's a good reason for the parent and subform's not being hooked directly into the back-end tables and therefore, they will be based on work tables. The question: is it more efficient to make whose work tables #Temp tables in in an SQL Server DB or make them DAO tables in a JET work DB in, say, C:\Temp? My current rationalization favors JET tables in C:/Temp. ...

Problems with Excel functions
I have a problem with the excel funtions. The problem is that when write a funtion as for example : = Replace(E2,12,16," ") what is displayed in the cell is the funtion that i wrote and not the result. I have been having this problem and i do not know if it's a setting on my program. Please help me on.....is URGENT... I need Excel working .... Thanks in advance Your cell was formatted as text before entering the function. Format as General and re-enter (F2, Enter) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "RITRAM" <RITRAM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...