Sorting data in a query

Hello,

I have a report based on a query that returns employees holiday dates in
descending order.

This works well but new boss only wants to see the last holiday that
staff had. I have tried various methods of trying to return the LAST
HOLIDAY DATE FOR EMPLOYEES but I can not achieve it.

Could anyone help please?

Current query example returns:

Mr Smith	21 Oct 07
Mr  A		1 OCT 07
mRS b		28 Sep 07
Mrs b		1 Sep 07
Mr z		29 Aug 07
Mr Smith 	28 Aug 07
Mr A		20 Aug 07
Miss Y		1 Aug 07

The new query needs to return:

Mr Smith	21 Oct 07
Mr  A		1 OCT 07
mRS b		28 Sep 07
Mr z		29 Aug 07
Miss Y		1 Aug 07

The dates of the last holiday they took.

The data is stored in a holiday table linked to employees by employee
number.

Thanks in advance for any help

Martin Hopkins
0
martin

See:
    Getting a related field from a GroupBy (total) query
at:
    http://www.mvps.org/access/queries/qry0020.htm

If subqueries are new, here's an introduction:
    http://allenbrowne.com/subquery-01.html

"martin hopkins" <hoppy579@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a report based on a query that returns employees holiday dates in
> descending order.
>
> This works well but new boss only wants to see the last holiday that
> staff had. I have tried various methods of trying to return the LAST
> HOLIDAY DATE FOR EMPLOYEES but I can not achieve it.
>
> Could anyone help please?
>
> Current query example returns:
>
> Mr Smith 21 Oct 07
> Mr  A 1 OCT 07
> mRS b 28 Sep 07
> Mrs b 1 Sep 07
> Mr z 29 Aug 07
> Mr Smith 28 Aug 07
> Mr A 20 Aug 07
> Miss Y 1 Aug 07
>
> The new query needs to return:
>
> Mr Smith 21 Oct 07
> Mr  A 1 OCT 07
> mRS b 28 Sep 07
> Mr z 29 Aug 07
> Miss Y 1 Aug 07
>
> The dates of the last holiday they took.
>
> The data is stored in a holiday table linked to employees by employee
> number.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help
>
> Martin Hopkins
0
Allen

copying data
Getting errors when copying data from workbook to workbook. Shutdown and restart allows without errors. ...

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

Sorting

How to sort account list?

Trendline partial data
I am trying to add a trendline to a process variable on a line-chart and use it to predict when remedial action is required. When the data parameter is reset, the trendline automatically takes in this new set of figures and attaches it to the previous, giving a totally skewed analysis. Is there any way that I can select only some of the data to trend? Then as the reset data grows, only to select the new series from the process? Thanks Hi David, Jon Peltier has a site that mentioned about dynamic charts which I find useful and you might want to check this out. http://peltier...

Row names will not move with sort

sorts not sorting

Aligning data with varying decimal places
I have a column of cells in which the data include various numbers of decimal places. Is there a way to align the data vertically so that the decimals line up, without adding trailing zeroes? one way: Format/Cells/Number/Custom 0.??? In article <DD9B0C05-0A1D-4A5A-99F4-BB8030D9F7F2@microsoft.com>, edpaul <edpaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a column of cells in which the data include various numbers of decimal > places. Is there a way to align the data vertically so that the decimals > line up, without adding trailing zeroes? ...

Using a ComboBox for parameters for a query
HI, I have a form that i want to show query results based on the parameters of names, or dates. I was wondering how to make the query change based on what i chose from combo boxes. Also, how do you make the results show up on the form itself. Thanks in advance. ...

import- number- sort?

Representing Dual Data in a Stacked Bar Chart
Here is my data: Location Flowers Trees Year 1 Year 2 Year 1 Year 2 Texas 55 63 36 14 Florida 67 75 24 21 NJ 32 27 52 10 Colorado 35 41 35 9 California 84 126 78 39 I want a stacked bar chart that shows Flowers & Trees for Year 1 next to another stacked bar for Year 2, grouped by location shown along the X axis. Please help, all I could come up with is a Stacked bar for Year 1, overlayed by 2 separate line graphs for Flowers/Yr2 and Trees/Yr2. -- VB On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, VB <VB@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I want...

Data and Color calculations
I need to find a way to get total for a particular name. I work in a vineyard and we want to track how many of each vine we have. we have our rows and blocks of vines in a spread sheet. I now have to sort by name then count how many of each vine we have. I also assign the vines a color based on when they will be harvested. Can excel do the above type of calculation based on sum or total of a particular color Thanks so much for any help Ron redwards(at)ap.net Hi Ron, Try something like this modified to suit your ranges. Does not count Conditional Formatting colors. Dave McRitchie has a...

Pivot Table
Hi! What is the maximum rows allowed in a data range when using a pivot table? I have a pivot table that uses a data range. When I have only 4581 records in the data range, the pivot table updates with no problems. But, when entering more than 4581, the pivot table won't update and gives me an error. Am I hitting the max on data rows within my data range or is there a work-around. Thanks!! dmotika The following MSKB articles outline PivotTable limitations for different versions of Excel: XL2000: Limits of PivotTables in Microsoft Excel 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/de...

I am trying to project out a line graph based on data
Hi, I have made a line chart based on some data for a fiften year period. I would like to plot out the future points for a thirty year period based on this data. Does anyone know how to do this? To perform a line projection, first click on the series the you would like to forecast. Go to Chart -> Add Trendline. The "options" tab will allow you to project the trend forward. You will probably want to use the "linear" option. It can also provide an equation which would allow you to manually calculate a future projection as opposed to using the trendline. -- Jo...

sorting macro #3

Sorting checking register

Auto-entering data from another sheet
Hello all, Hopefully someone can help me. I am wanting to automatically enter data from one sheet into the next by a text prompt. For example: On sheet 2 I will have 3 static columns that will have data entered in the format: text / text / number respectively. On sheet one I want to be able to enter the text from the first column on sheet two and have excel automatically fill in 2 other cells with the data from cell B and C from sheet 2. For example: Sheet 2 contains hello / how / 123 in row 1 and column A,B,C. I enter: hello (on sheet 1 cell A) and in cell B and C I automatically get...

Compressing Data in Sheet
Hi, I have a sheet with several pieces of data arranged like so: Column 1 Column 2 a.dll ! 0x000001234 56 a.dll ! 0x000001234 64 a.dll ! 0x000001234 72 b.dll ! 0x012345689 89 c.dll ! 0x012345890 100 How do I compress the repeated sets of say a.dll into one row with all values pertaining to a.dll in column 2 summed up so to read something like: a.dll ! 0x0000001234 182 b.dll ! 0x012345689 89 etc ??? Thanks If the data is sorted by column A, you could add headers (in row 1) and then use Data|subtotals...

Getting Data out of MS CRM
What is the best way to get all the data out of MS CRM in order to migrate it to another CRM system? Woud the Data Migration tool work for this? I've never used it. If you want all the data, and all the customisations, the best option is to use SQL backup and restore, and the CRM redeployment tool against the restored database. Using the Data Migration tool will be hard work for this, and has some noticeable limitations, such as it can't be used for custom entities "mscrmuser" wrote: > What is the best way to get all the data out of MS CRM in order to > migrate...

SQL Query help 11-24-09
Hi I have a table containing the following columns: Id, Date, PayDate, Text and Amount. The table contains postings for a number of persons identified by Id. To get a status of a members transaction I use the following query: SELECT Date, PayDate, Text, Amount, (SELECT SUM(Amount) AS Expr1 FROM Postings AS D1 WHERE (Date <= D0.Date) AND (Id = @MemberId)) AS Total FROM Postings AS D0 WHERE (Id = @MemberId) ORDER BY Date Which gives the following result: ...

How to paste a data file into a spreadsheet including formulas?
I use Excel 2000, and I have a spreadsheet that I have been updating by hand. The data is getting fairly large now, so I am in the process of writing a perl script to generate a text file containing the data, separated by tabs, so that I can just copy everything in the text file and paste it into the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet does have some columns that do some arithmetic calculations. I can easily have the perl script perform those calculations itself, so that all the values in the text file are "hard coded". But the problem is that there will be a few errors in my data strea...

Unmerge so I can sort
I coy/pasted data into Excell and when I try to sort it I get "This operation requires merged sells to be identically sized". I understadn the work around in KB but how do I find which sells are merged? I wouldn't bother looking. I'd just remove all the merged cells from the range to sort. Select that range format|cells|alignment tab uncheck the merge cells box But if you wanted to search, you can do it via process of elimination. Select a range, format|cells|alignment tab. If that merge cells box is checked, then the whole selection is merged. If it's grey, t...

Cannot set the LOCALE IDENTIFIER of the data source
In order to use the "translations" feature of Sql Server Analysis Services 2008 we need to set the locale identifier of the OLEDB connection string. However, it doesn't seem to be possible in Excel 2007. Here are the steps to reproduce the problem. 1- Open Excel 2007 2- Data > From other sources > From Analysis Services 3- Select a server and a database (it doesn't matter which), click next, click finish 4- Click properties, clear the "retrieve data and errors in the Office display language" checkbox, go to the definition tab, add "Locale Identifie...