Selecting columns containing spaces

Both of these Select statements return the same set of rows.  How can I find
out what's really in them?

Select * from tblAcademics where description = ""

Select * from tblAcademics where description = " "

In particular, can I trust that description is not null in those rows?  The
following SQL returns no rows

Select * from tblAcademics where description is null

0
Laurel

A column is either NULL or NOT NULL. It cannot be both. If it contains a
space or an empty string then it is NOT NULL.

-Dorian

"Laurel" wrote:

> Both of these Select statements return the same set of rows.  How can I find
> out what's really in them?
>
> Select * from tblAcademics where description = ""
>
> Select * from tblAcademics where description = " "
>
> In particular, can I trust that description is not null in those rows?  The
> following SQL returns no rows
>
> Select * from tblAcademics where description is null

I don't think I made myself clear.  I wondered why the Select didn't
distinguish between an empty string and a string of one space.  The first
two statements I list below retrieve the same rows.

"mscertified" <rupert@tigerlily.com> wrote in message
>A column is either NULL or NOT NULL. It cannot be both. If it contains a
> space or an empty string then it is NOT NULL.
>
> -Dorian
>
> "Laurel" wrote:
>
>> Both of these Select statements return the same set of rows.  How can I
>> find
>> out what's really in them?
>>
>> Select * from tblAcademics where description = ""
>>
>> Select * from tblAcademics where description = " "
>>
>> In particular, can I trust that description is not null in those rows?
>> The
>> following SQL returns no rows
>>
>> Select * from tblAcademics where description is null

0
Laurel
10/19/2007 3:03:41 AM
On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 23:03:41 -0400, "Laurel" <FakeMail@Hotmail.com> wrote:

>I don't think I made myself clear.  I wondered why the Select didn't
>distinguish between an empty string and a string of one space.

Access truncates all trailing spaces in Text fields. If you put "" or " " or
for that matter "                                                          "
into a text field, it will store "" (if Allow Zero Length is set to true) or
NULL if it's not.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John

Run report on multi selected records.

move row data to columns
We had a problem with some test data and instead of test results being recorded in multiple rows 5 columns wide, all of the data was recorded in one row multiple columns wide. The data consists of 5 readings taken every second for a period of 2 hours. Each reading is in it's own cell (no cell contains more than one reading). Do you know of a way that I can move each set of readings (5 test results) into it's own 5 column wide row? i.e. currently shows in single row as: 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 128, 128, 128, 128, 128, 234, 234, 234, 234, 234, etc. and I need in 5 column wide rows: 0, 0, 0, ...

Help with grouping columns
Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious...but I'm having a hard time groupin columns. Here's the goal: Columns A - L are the 12 months... Jan-Dec. I want to group 3 columns (3 months) at a time. So I'd have 4 colum groups side by side. I select the entire first 3 columns...data...group/outline...an group...creates the group fine. I then select the next 3 columns (next 3 months)...to be in their ow group. When I try to group them...it just ads them to the firs group...making one large group. The first 3 columns are not selected when I do this. I've also tried playing with the s...

applying operation to column
I am trying to divide a column that just contains numbers by 100, but read online that I should use some paste special technique, but m version of excel doesn't have that. I think I have '97. Is ther another method to divide every cell in a column by 100 -- chrismicle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- chrismiclei's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2505 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38577 Yes, you have the paste special, but you first have to copy a cell that con...

Fast way to search many cells by column for text strings
Am looking for quick way to search for and list, a specified, given text string in all cells in a column, e.g. look for text string " E/G " Assume the target col is col A, data from row2 Put in B2: =ISNUMBER(FIND("E/G",A2)) Put in C2: =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("E/G",A2)) (FIND is case sensitive, SEARCH is not case sensitive) Select B2:C2 and fill down Put a label into B1:C1, then do an autofilter in B1 (or in C1) to filter out the rows with: TRUE, depending on whether search is to be case sensitive or not. -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xd...

Can't select objects in Excel 2007

How do I have stacked columns and a reg col. on same chart?
I have three variables - payroll expenses, vendor expenses, and management fees. I want payroll and vendor to be on top of eachother, and management to be next to them. Can anyone help? Please? "Kat" wrote: > I have three variables - payroll expenses, vendor expenses, and management > fees. I want payroll and vendor to be on top of eachother, and management to > be next to them. Can anyone help? Hi, Have a look at Jon's page which has a collection of links to examples of how to produce clustered stacked charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/Clus...

CListCtrl: Changing the Column Header Layout
Hi all, I'm using a CListCtrl and I need another layout of the column header, especially - 2 lines of header text - changed background and forground colours - changeable y-Size I that possible? I cannot find any information about. Thanks in advance Richard You should be able to get the header control and do anything with it you want. Go to the MSDN, look under the topic "ClistCtrl class", and about 17 subitems into it there is a topic called "header controls" which explains all this. GetHeaderCtrl is what you are looking for. joe On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:58...

Select contact then hangs

Selecting rows from various sheets

select text in Calendar

How to stop empty columns from printing
Hello, My spreadsheet uses columns A-G, but when I print, column H also prints even though there is nothing in any of its cells. There is no print area set. Why is this empty column printing? And how do I stop it from printing? TIA. Mark On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 10:04:37 -0500, "Mark Christensen" <markc@ssbrakes.com> wrote: >My spreadsheet uses columns A-G, but when I print, column H also prints even >though there is nothing in any of its cells. There is no print area set. >Why is this empty column printing? And how do I stop it from printing? TIA. Hide column...

How do I add different ranges in a column together?
I have a large column of numbers and need to select random numbers that I need to total. Rather than adidng one cell at a time. How do I add multiple ranges within the column together? Thank you If they're ranges (as in groups of consecutive cells) you can use SUM, as in =sum(a1:a5,a20:a43, ... ). If they're cells that are selected based on the value of some other cell in the same row, you can use sumif: =sumif(b:b,"Selection",a:a) would add the values in column A of the rows where column B is equal to "Selection". If it's really pretty random, I'...

How do I convert a column from USD to GBP
I am trying to convert a column of USD figures in excel into GBP then I want to add 92% - is there a formula I can use? with your value in A1, in B1 enter: =A1+(A1*.92) format as Currency and select the GBP currency Symbol HTH Bruce -- swatsp0p ------------------------------------------------------------------------ swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15101 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=383116 Hi Lisa, Image you have the exchange rage (i.e. the number of dollars in a pound) in cell B2 and ...

Link select with a blast

Select Case in a Change Event

VLOOKUP: Referencing worksheets whose names contain commas
Hello, How do I make a VLOOKUP formula reference a different worksheet that has a comma in its name? For instance, in Sheet1 I want to refer to a sheet named "Last, First" in this way: =VLOOKUP(A1, 'Last, First'!$A$1:$M$100, 13, TRUE) But the comma in sheet "Last, First" seems to make the VLOOKUP function advance the argument too early. Is there an easy fix for this? Thanks, --David Aukerman Update: It seems that the function as I wrote it *evaluates* correctly, but while I'm typing it in, the tooltip (that helps me determine which ar...

Select Records based another table...

Two-Column problem
Using Arrange, Layout Guides, I set up Publisher 2002 with two columns per page and with two master pages with mirrored guides. For the first 11 pages, text flowed as expected. That is, each new pair of pages had two textboxes per page. But now, when I add a pair of pages, Publisher gives me guides for two columns per page but gives me only one page-wide textbox per page, not two. How do I force Publisher to give me two textboxes per page, as it did for the first 11 pages? (I might be missing something obvious. I haven't used Publisher in several years.) Thanks. Charley After mana...

column heads
How do I designate an entry as the column head/label/name vs. data entry? In what context? -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "4most" <4most@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5B96664-1D46-4CD8-8564-5ABDBF36DA64@microsoft.com... > How do I designate an entry as the column head/label/name vs. > data entry? I am creating an elementary spreadsheet, and I want to place headings at the top of each column. "Chip Pearson" wrote: > In what context? > > > -- > ...

Multi-Select List Box Does Not Retain Selected Items
I created an Outlook Form in 2003. But when I select items in the list box they do not remain select when I select another control on the form. Any suggestions? Did you bind the list box to a keywords field? -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "kaykay" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:276dd01c4638d$bd5af590$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I created an Outlook Form in 2003. But when I select > items i...

reference format and column name
I have 2 problems, likely, related to some reference format in Excel 2003: 1) Column names are displayed in numbers, like rows; 2) When I type a reference to a cell, the formula contains letters R and C and number of cells, the referred cell is away from the cell with the formula (instead of a regular number of column and row). I don't know how I got to this format. Please get me back to columns named in letters, and regular type of displaying references. Many thanks. hi on the menu bar>tools>options>general tab uncheck R1C1 reference (upper left) Regards FSt1 ...