Select All Names

We have a form with a combo box and that combo box executes a query to find
all of the records matching the user's name. The query derives that value
from a form based parameter called vName.

This is how the process works.

1. The user starts by selecting their name via a drop down list combo box on
a dialog form.
2. That selection becomes the value of vName.
3. The user clicks OK and then moves to the data entry form.
4. On the data entry form, the user then clicks on another combo box which
runs the aforementined query, which in turn uses the value of the variable
vName to find only those records which match vName.

That works great, however, a new problem arose yesterday. One of the users
asked for the option to query ALL names via the Combo Box on the data entry
form. I went back to dialog fom and tried everything I could think of, such
as giving them a drop down choice of  "Is Not Null", but nothing worked. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

"Robert T" <RobertT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a form with a combo box and that combo box executes a query to
> find
> all of the records matching the user's name. The query derives that value
> from a form based parameter called vName.
>
> This is how the process works.
>
> 1. The user starts by selecting their name via a drop down list combo box
> on
> a dialog form.
> 2. That selection becomes the value of vName.
> 3. The user clicks OK and then moves to the data entry form.
> 4. On the data entry form, the user then clicks on another combo box which
> runs the aforementined query, which in turn uses the value of the variable
> vName to find only those records which match vName.
>
> That works great, however, a new problem arose yesterday. One of the users
> asked for the option to query ALL names via the Combo Box on the data
> entry
> form. I went back to dialog fom and tried everything I could think of,
> such
> as giving them a drop down choice of  "Is Not Null", but nothing worked.
> Any
> suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Robert

There are links to examples of how to do this in various versions of Access
at the following URL ...

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=select+all+combo+box+access+microsoft+form
--
Brendan Reynolds

0
Brendan
3/7/2008 2:54:27 PM
You can use a Union query to add All as an option to your combo.  Here is an
example:

SELECT 0 As ID, "(All)" As Dummy FROM dbo_Initiative UNION SELECT StatusID,
StatusDescr FROM dbo_ProjectStatus;

--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

"Robert T" wrote:

> We have a form with a combo box and that combo box executes a query to find
> all of the records matching the user's name. The query derives that value
> from a form based parameter called vName.
>
> This is how the process works.
>
> 1. The user starts by selecting their name via a drop down list combo box on
> a dialog form.
> 2. That selection becomes the value of vName.
> 3. The user clicks OK and then moves to the data entry form.
> 4. On the data entry form, the user then clicks on another combo box which
> runs the aforementined query, which in turn uses the value of the variable
> vName to find only those records which match vName.
>
> That works great, however, a new problem arose yesterday. One of the users
> asked for the option to query ALL names via the Combo Box on the data entry
> form. I went back to dialog fom and tried everything I could think of, such
> as giving them a drop down choice of  "Is Not Null", but nothing worked. Any
> suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Robert
Brendan and Klatuu:

Thanks for advice, it's truly appreciated.

Brendan, some of those scripts in the link you sent seem pretty involved, so
I think I'm going to try the Union Query first.

I still don't understand why you can't simply put "Is Not Null" as one of
the choices which should, from my perspective, display every record that
isn't null.

Robert

Robert

"Brendan Reynolds" wrote:

> "Robert T" <RobertT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a form with a combo box and that combo box executes a query to
> > find
> > all of the records matching the user's name. The query derives that value
> > from a form based parameter called vName.
> >
> > This is how the process works.
> >
> > 1. The user starts by selecting their name via a drop down list combo box
> > on
> > a dialog form.
> > 2. That selection becomes the value of vName.
> > 3. The user clicks OK and then moves to the data entry form.
> > 4. On the data entry form, the user then clicks on another combo box which
> > runs the aforementined query, which in turn uses the value of the variable
> > vName to find only those records which match vName.
> >
> > That works great, however, a new problem arose yesterday. One of the users
> > asked for the option to query ALL names via the Combo Box on the data
> > entry
> > form. I went back to dialog fom and tried everything I could think of,
> > such
> > as giving them a drop down choice of  "Is Not Null", but nothing worked.
> > Any
> > suggestions would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Robert
>

> There are links to examples of how to do this in various versions of Access
> at the following URL ...
>
> http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=select+all+combo+box+access+microsoft+form
> --
> Brendan Reynolds

Run report on multi selected records.

Excel user name
A while ago there was a thread here asking about excel user names - cant find it now but id like to know how i can create a MSGBOX that ca use names - for example the macro reads the excel user name, vlookup short (nick) name, then gives a more personalised message. Can anyone help? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi msgbox application.username -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "LB79 >" <<LB79.1axkrc@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:LB79.1axkrc@excelforum-nospam.com... > A while ago there was a thread here askin...

Can't select objects in Excel 2007

Select contact then hangs

named excel lists
I'm somewhat of a newbie, so I may not be asking this question with the correct terminology. I'd like to define a name and attach it to the range of an "excel (2003) list". If I add a new row or column to the "excel list", then the range is suitable extended. How? Try Debra Dalgleish's nice coverage of Dynamic Ranges at: http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic Look for "Create a Dynamic Range" -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Please respond, in newsgroup xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "hidden" <hidden123456@hotmail.com...

Selecting rows from various sheets

Category Name Mods at Runtime
Creating a template to use with basic chart but when certain Xaxis labels contain specific values that might show in certain data sets, I'd like to either change the font color or use the interior colorindex property. In other words, a 1 b 2 c 3 But when the category values are displayed - I'd like the letter b to be in blue. I'm already scanning the data and modifying the color of the datalabel font and the correlated bar chart but wanted to also change the category label. Thanks in advance... Any chance this property is available? You can't format axis la...

select text in Calendar

Moving Exchange DB's to a new server (different name)
In a DR test, we moved SG's to a new server, different server name, same SG and MS name. MS mounts, can not connect to mailbox. Delete mailbox, create a new one, we can then connect. Delete this mailbox, reconnect to the original, and now we can connect. How can we accomplish this in bulk? In other words, after doing a system state restore of AD, then a system state of Exchange, restored MS file, mounted, etc. We were unable to connect to these mailboxes. I am assuming this is related to GUID's. Any thoughts? Users in AD specify a server by name. When you say that you move mailbo...

Looking for GPO to add Address List to Address Book for checking names in specified order
Hi, I want to deploy an extra address list to the address book of our users in Exchange/Outlook 2003. This can be done manually: open address book, select "Options" and press the buttonb "Add..." to add another Address List. Perhaps it can be done differently, but i need Outlook to lookup people in an extra address list. Who can help me deploying this? Preferably with a GPO or perhaps a logon script example? Regards, Hans. You add address list through ESM Read this article http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=319213 -- Nebojsa Seslija -----------...

Updating/keeping account names
Don't know if I can explain this better, but when updating, how do I keep the same vendor/description name. For example, today, when updating, I had an ATM withdrawel of $50 listed. Instead of that showing reconciled, it took the same amount of $50 that regulary gets taken out from my bank and showed that to be reconciled instead. ...

Link select with a blast

How to revert back to the original file name in a hyperlink
I have an excel file with 2500 linked objects in it. All the linked objects are given with a name for eg. "SCAN". I want to change these names in the "test to display" column for all the cells in one go. Is it possible ? ...

How to change the the attribute's name???
Hi Group: I would like to know if it is possible to change the name of an attribute to something else. My setup is like this: I have serveral SQL tables that I nest and join so that it all outputs into a nice XML file for the purpose of populating a flash navigation menu. <NewDataSet> <mainMenu_category menu_name="Home" menu_ID="1"> <menu menu_ID="1" /> </mainMenu_category> <mainMenu_category menu_name="Product" menu_ID="2"> <menu category_name="28.5 Volt DC Power Carts" menu_...

Stop named ranges being copied
I want to copy a worksheet from one workbook to another. But I do not want to copy the named ranges associated with the first workbook to the second. How do I prevent named ranges being copied when I move sheets. >>How do I prevent named ranges being copied when I move sheets. You can't. A named range is just as much a part of a sheet as anything else. Delete the name(s) after you copy a sheet. -- Jim <bmatheson@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1183722346.818571.213860@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... >I want to copy a worksheet from one workbook to another. > >...

Select Case in a Change Event

VLOOKUP: Referencing worksheets whose names contain commas
Hello, How do I make a VLOOKUP formula reference a different worksheet that has a comma in its name? For instance, in Sheet1 I want to refer to a sheet named "Last, First" in this way: =VLOOKUP(A1, 'Last, First'!$A$1:$M$100, 13, TRUE) But the comma in sheet "Last, First" seems to make the VLOOKUP function advance the argument too early. Is there an easy fix for this? Thanks, --David Aukerman Update: It seems that the function as I wrote it *evaluates* correctly, but while I'm typing it in, the tooltip (that helps me determine which ar...

Select Records based another table...

Multi-Select List Box Does Not Retain Selected Items
I created an Outlook Form in 2003. But when I select items in the list box they do not remain select when I select another control on the form. Any suggestions? Did you bind the list box to a keywords field? -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "kaykay" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:276dd01c4638d$bd5af590$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I created an Outlook Form in 2003. But when I select > items i...

Internet fax cover page. How do I permantly change the from name?
I am new to office 2007, I had 2000 and an internet fax account. With 2007 word comes up. Some how I put in the incorrect name in the From line on the cover sheet. How do I change this? Thanks for any help you can give me. Odd question. Outlook 2000 did not support Internet Fax. Only Outlook 2003 and 2007 do. Clarify this discrepancy in your post. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Bob Knutowski" <Bob Knutowski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD120592-9DF2-49AD-A203-14F6B8548959@microsoft.com... >I am new to office 2007, I had 2000 and an internet fax ...

Vlookup function with variable file names
Hi, I need your help on this- I want to vlookup data from different excel spreadsheets without opening that particular file. Is that possible to link file path/name and columns to be looked upon in the Vlookup formula as file names would change every month, so that I don't have to enter the vlookup formula again and again. And I only have to change the spreadsheet name to change the vlookup formula. Would Indirect function be useful in this case? Thanks, Gaurav The function you'd want to use that's built into excel is =indirect(). But that function returns an error if the send...

VBA
I am very new to VBA and access and have a question regarding a SELECT statement. I am going to run a select (recordset - so I can loop through and process each record) but on my SELECT I want to make sure I return at least 20 rows, otherwise I am going to change my WHERE clause to include more rows. Is there an easy way to do this or do I need to just do an inital SELECT COUNT(*) and then decide which WHERE clause to use?? Do you have an example I can look at? Thank you in advance! AJ On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 17:14:00 -0800, AJ <AJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: I would not first ...