Re: Ranking my results in a query to get the TOP#10 percent

Hello,

I have created several queries and now I would like to rank my result to
only get the TOP 10 percent.

Could you please assist me with an Access SQL statement that can accomplish
this?

Thanks,

TL

    SELECT TOP 10 PERCENT *
    FROM somewhere
    ORDER BY someExpression

It is not a 'rank' in itself, though, just a pick of the 'top most'. Light
difference between the two expressions, but it probably does not matter...
:-)

Vanderghast, Access MVP

"TL" <TL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have created several queries and now I would like to rank my result to
> only get the TOP 10 percent.
>
> Could you please assist me with an Access SQL statement that can
> accomplish
> this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> TL

0
Michel
2/28/2008 7:44:40 PM
Michel,

Can this be accomplished in same Total query where I perform a "COUNT" on my
results, or will have to use an existing query to produce a new query using
the SQL statement suggested below. Can you provide me with the cleaniest and
simpliest solution.
Thanks,
TL

"Michel Walsh" wrote:

>     SELECT TOP 10 PERCENT *
>     FROM somewhere
>     ORDER BY someExpression
>

> It is not a 'rank' in itself, though, just a pick of the 'top most'. Light
> difference between the two expressions, but it probably does not matter...
> :-)
>
> Vanderghast, Access MVP
>

> "TL" <TL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have created several queries and now I would like to rank my result to
> > only get the TOP 10 percent.
> >
> > Could you please assist me with an Access SQL statement that can
> > accomplish
> > this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > TL

In addition, I tried it your approach and it returned teh same value when I
changed the Design view option from ALL to 10%. It is not giving me the TOP
10%. What I mean by TOP 10% is the top 10 schools with the most student
attending. I used this query below but my results were not ten schools with
the highest number of attendance. Please help me...

SQL Statement used:

SELECT TOP 10 PERCENT *
FROM qryTop10ByInstitutions;

Thanks,
TL

"TL" wrote:

> Michel,
>
> Can this be accomplished in same Total query where I perform a "COUNT" on my
> results, or will have to use an existing query to produce a new query using
> the SQL statement suggested below. Can you provide me with the cleaniest and
> simpliest solution.
> Thanks,
> TL
>
> "Michel Walsh" wrote:
>
> >     SELECT TOP 10 PERCENT *
> >     FROM somewhere
> >     ORDER BY someExpression
> >

> > It is not a 'rank' in itself, though, just a pick of the 'top most'. Light
> > difference between the two expressions, but it probably does not matter...
> > :-)
> >
> > Vanderghast, Access MVP
> >

> > "TL" <TL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have created several queries and now I would like to rank my result to
> > > only get the TOP 10 percent.
> > >
> > > Could you please assist me with an Access SQL statement that can
> > > accomplish
> > > this?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > TL

That can be used for any SELECT query.

The graphical interface allows you to have  5, 25, 100, 5%, 25%, ALL. It is
under the query property  "Top Values".

For other values, here 10%, edit the SQL view, add

TOP 10 PERCENT

immediately after the SELECT word, and before any field/expression following
the SELECT. Add the appropriate ORDER BY clause, else you just get 'some'
of the records, in fact, 10% of the records.

> Michel,
>
> Can this be accomplished in same Total query where I perform a "COUNT" on
> my
> results, or will have to use an existing query to produce a new query
> using
> the SQL statement suggested below. Can you provide me with the cleaniest
> and
> simpliest solution.
> Thanks,
> TL
>
> "Michel Walsh" wrote:
>
>>     SELECT TOP 10 PERCENT *
>>     FROM somewhere
>>     ORDER BY someExpression
>>

>> It is not a 'rank' in itself, though, just a pick of the 'top most'.
>> Light
>> difference between the two expressions, but it probably does not
>> matter...
>> :-)
>>
>> Vanderghast, Access MVP
>>

>> "TL" <TL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have created several queries and now I would like to rank my result
>> > only get the TOP 10 percent.
>> >
>> > Could you please assist me with an Access SQL statement that can
>> > accomplish
>> > this?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > TL

0
Michel
2/28/2008 8:25:05 PM
Without order by clause, it just returns 10 percent of the records. After
supplying an ORDER BY clause, first, the records will be sorted and NEXT,
the first 10 per cent of the records, from that ordered list, will be picked
up.

> In addition, I tried it your approach and it returned teh same value when
> changed the Design view option from ALL to 10%. It is not giving me the
> TOP
> 10%. What I mean by TOP 10% is the top 10 schools with the most student
> attending. I used this query below but my results were not ten schools
> with
> the highest number of attendance. Please help me...
>
> SQL Statement used:
>
> SELECT TOP 10 PERCENT *
> FROM qryTop10ByInstitutions;
>
> Thanks,
> TL
>

> "TL" wrote:
>
>> Michel,
>>
>> Can this be accomplished in same Total query where I perform a "COUNT" on
>> my
>> results, or will have to use an existing query to produce a new query
>> using
>> the SQL statement suggested below. Can you provide me with the cleaniest
>> and
>> simpliest solution.
>> Thanks,
>> TL
>>
>> "Michel Walsh" wrote:
>>
>> >     SELECT TOP 10 PERCENT *
>> >     FROM somewhere
>> >     ORDER BY someExpression
>> >

>> > It is not a 'rank' in itself, though, just a pick of the 'top most'.
>> > Light
>> > difference between the two expressions, but it probably does not
>> > matter...
>> > :-)
>> >
>> > Vanderghast, Access MVP
>> >

>> > "TL" <TL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Michel
2/28/2008 8:28:03 PM
Michel,

Okay, it worked. But, it returned only 6 records and I want it to give me
the TOP 10% and list 10 records. How can I make the SQL statement listed
below perform this task:

SELECT TOP 10 PERCENT Applications.[Institution_ Name],
Count(Applications.[Institution_ Name]) AS [CountOfInstitution_ Name]
FROM Applications
GROUP BY Applications.[Institution_ Name]
ORDER BY Count(Applications.[Institution_ Name]) DESC;

Thanks for you help.
TL

"Michel Walsh" wrote:

> That can be used for any SELECT query.
>
> The graphical interface allows you to have  5, 25, 100, 5%, 25%, ALL. It is
> under the query property  "Top Values".
>
> For other values, here 10%, edit the SQL view, add
>
> TOP 10 PERCENT
>
> immediately after the SELECT word, and before any field/expression following
> the SELECT. Add the appropriate ORDER BY clause, else you just get 'some'
> of the records, in fact, 10% of the records.
>

> Vanderghast, Access MVP
>

> "TL" <TL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Michel,
> >
> > Can this be accomplished in same Total query where I perform a "COUNT" on
> > my
> > results, or will have to use an existing query to produce a new query
> > using
> > the SQL statement suggested below. Can you provide me with the cleaniest
> > and
> > simpliest solution.
> > Thanks,
> > TL
> >
> > "Michel Walsh" wrote:
> >
> >>     SELECT TOP 10 PERCENT *
> >>     FROM somewhere
> >>     ORDER BY someExpression
> >>

> >> It is not a 'rank' in itself, though, just a pick of the 'top most'.
> >> Light
> >> difference between the two expressions, but it probably does not
> >> matter...
> >> :-)
> >>
> >> Vanderghast, Access MVP
> >>

> >> "TL" <TL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

If you have only 60 records, 10% of 60 = 6. Remove the word PERCENT to get
the top most 10 records (rather than 10 percent of the records).

 SELECT TOP 10 Applications.[Institution_ Name],
 Count(Applications.[Institution_ Name]) AS [CountOfInstitution_ Name]
 FROM Applications
 GROUP BY Applications.[Institution_ Name]
 ORDER BY Count(Applications.[Institution_ Name]) DESC;

Hoping it may help,

> Michel,
>
> Okay, it worked. But, it returned only 6 records and I want it to give me
> the TOP 10% and list 10 records. How can I make the SQL statement listed
> below perform this task:
>
> SELECT TOP 10 PERCENT Applications.[Institution_ Name],
> Count(Applications.[Institution_ Name]) AS [CountOfInstitution_ Name]
> FROM Applications
> GROUP BY Applications.[Institution_ Name]
> ORDER BY Count(Applications.[Institution_ Name]) DESC;
>
> Thanks for you help.
> TL
>

> "Michel Walsh" wrote:
>
>> That can be used for any SELECT query.
>>
>> The graphical interface allows you to have  5, 25, 100, 5%, 25%, ALL. It
>> is
>> under the query property  "Top Values".
>>
>> For other values, here 10%, edit the SQL view, add
>>
>> TOP 10 PERCENT
>>
>> immediately after the SELECT word, and before any field/expression
>> following
>> the SELECT. Add the appropriate ORDER BY clause, else you just get 'some'
>> of the records, in fact, 10% of the records.
>>

>> Vanderghast, Access MVP
>>

>> "TL" <TL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Michel,
>> >
>> > Can this be accomplished in same Total query where I perform a "COUNT"
>> > on
>> > my
>> > results, or will have to use an existing query to produce a new query
>> > using
>> > the SQL statement suggested below. Can you provide me with the
>> > cleaniest
>> > and
>> > simpliest solution.
>> > Thanks,
>> > TL

0
Michel
2/28/2008 9:21:20 PM
Thanks. I got it to work. TL

"Michel Walsh" wrote:

> If you have only 60 records, 10% of 60 = 6. Remove the word PERCENT to get
> the top most 10 records (rather than 10 percent of the records).
>

>  SELECT TOP 10 Applications.[Institution_ Name],
>  Count(Applications.[Institution_ Name]) AS [CountOfInstitution_ Name]
>  FROM Applications
>  GROUP BY Applications.[Institution_ Name]
>  ORDER BY Count(Applications.[Institution_ Name]) DESC;
>

> Hoping it may help,
> Vanderghast, Access MVP
>
> "TL" <TL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Michel,
> >
> > Okay, it worked. But, it returned only 6 records and I want it to give me
> > the TOP 10% and list 10 records. How can I make the SQL statement listed
> > below perform this task:
> >
> > SELECT TOP 10 PERCENT Applications.[Institution_ Name],
> > Count(Applications.[Institution_ Name]) AS [CountOfInstitution_ Name]
> > FROM Applications
> > GROUP BY Applications.[Institution_ Name]
> > ORDER BY Count(Applications.[Institution_ Name]) DESC;
> >
> > Thanks for you help.
> > TL
> >

> > "Michel Walsh" wrote:
> >
> >> That can be used for any SELECT query.
> >>
> >> The graphical interface allows you to have  5, 25, 100, 5%, 25%, ALL. It
> >> is
> >> under the query property  "Top Values".
> >>
> >> For other values, here 10%, edit the SQL view, add
> >>
> >> TOP 10 PERCENT
> >>
> >> immediately after the SELECT word, and before any field/expression
> >> following
> >> the SELECT. Add the appropriate ORDER BY clause, else you just get 'some'
> >> of the records, in fact, 10% of the records.
> >>

> >> Vanderghast, Access MVP
> >>

> >> "TL" <TL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

minimalist wants to know: is it possible to get a single bar on IE
on IE6 I had my menus, commands, & address window all on the same bar. Why can't I do that with IE8? why is there a 'favorites' button next to my tabs (even with fav bar disabled) when i have a drop-down favorites list from the menu bar anyway? ...& why do I need a search window when my home page is a search engine? too much redundant crap that I cant turn off. I want to get rid of the favorites button, the search box, & put the rest on a single bar... I'd go back to IE6, but Vista wont allow me to view or remove installed MS prgs like XP did. ...

Merging Fields in a query
Hi, I am self-taught on Access, so please forgive my ignorance here. I have a subform that allows for multiple selections from a table, one line/field per selection. So when I run a query that selects for that information, I get an entry for that person for each item that has been selected in that subform. I understand why it is doing this, but am wondering if there is a way to write the query so that it can combine any items selected into one row. Example of how the query works now: Col1 col2 col3 col4 NameA choice1 otherinfo etc NameA choice2 otherinf...

Re-arranging table using pivot-table?

Copy formula from one worksheet to another to get value in 2nd wks
Hi, I have several worksheets where I have totaled certain columns. I want to take that total and copy it onto a summary worksheet (not adding these formulas together) just need the value of the formula from worksheet B to show up on worksheet A and be able to change as totals on worksheet B change. I tried simply doing a copy and paste but I get a REF! error. I then tried to copy and paste special for formula and format and got same error. What do I do? Help! Example: Worksheet B has formula- =sum(f1:f22) which equal 395 Worksheet A needs the total of 395 to show up and...

Criteria in Query
I have set criteria in a query to pull 9 specific names (no matter how many times they are listed) from a field in a table. I also have a date criteria to choose those records only from 2008. (1/1/08-now) My problem is my query will pull all records containing those names but also from past years. If I delete the names from the RMID field cell then my date expression will work. What can I do? TIA -- Karen Karen I'm not sure, but it sounds like you want the rows that satisfy both conditions (one of these 9 names, Year([YourDate])=2008). In a query design view, you need both conditi...

setting text result set more then 8192
Hello there I am building system which take procedures from one place, displaying the script of store procedure and then i taking it and run it in a different server. But if the procedure script is more then 8192 it cutts it in the result. Is there a way not to cut it? On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 17:24:54 +0300, "Roy Goldhammer" <royg@yahoo.com> wrote: >Hello there > >I am building system which take procedures from one place, displaying the >script of store procedure and then i taking it and run it in a different >server. > >But if th...

Re-install Outlook 2002

Re-Enable CRM User

How to get to my e-mail acct., check own mail?
Just signed up with Micrssoft S&T 2003 Edition and had to get a Net. Passport e-mail address! Need to get to that E-MAIL account and verify so I can start using my 2003 Edition. I was told on signing up to do this "next". And how in the future to check my e-mails (what site to enter, example: Yahoo/mail.com)? Go to www.hotmail.com and sign in with your net passport. You should have set up the Hotmail acct. first, but you can probably do it now. Just use the same info. You might have to go back and redo the activation for MS S&T (?) "minnesota deer hunter" wro...

How to get rid of the gridline?
How to get rid of the gridline in the worksheet? I once filled all the sheet with white color but it seems not th proper way to do it. Thanks -- slam ----------------------------------------------------------------------- slamm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1501 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26636 go to View - Toolbars. activate Forms toolbar. there is an icon for Toggle Grid. that should do it -- icestationzbr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- icestationzbra'...

RE:Excel will not open from a web link

Query not found in Dataviewer Business Portal 3.0
I am new to BP...and working my way through it. I was in the INVENTORY section and was modifying the queries to show all rows and no "Pick a Task" section. When I clicked "apply" I was returned with "One or more errors have occurred....Can not change Web Part Title due to a save error on the foler. /DataViewer/Item List-Item List". NOW I cannot get ITEMS>view Inventory Information to work. Dataviewer shows a folder marked Item List-Item List/Item List but the whole thing doesn't appear to work. I need to help in fixing. Thank you Pam, Thanks ...

Re: exmerge error

query help plz
hey i have been given a set of data which i have set my relationships and everything is going well,but (now this is when it gets tricky) i have been given two name fields one for forename and one for lastname,but i havebeen asked to display the members first intial,but havent been given seperate data for it (its too go on a labels in reports)how would i go about searching for jus the first letter of theri first name ? for loadz of entries??? cheers Use the Left function in the query. It would look something like this in the Field row: FirstInitial: Left([forename],1) -- Jerry Whittle...

re re re ????
nefertiti ??? ...

Reports not updating with changes in query
I created a tabular report from a crosstab query and I have since deleted certain rows, added a column and changed some things but the report has not changed at all. I don't quite understand why. Grant Some WAGs: 1. All your changes didn't make a difference to the report. 2. The report isn't based on the table where you made the changes. 2.1 Check the report's record source to find the exact query. 2.2 Open up that query and make sure it's based on the table that you think it is. -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager ...

Getting rid of #VALUE!
Hi I'm using excel 2000 I have a spreadsheet for calculating Overtime A = Hourly Rate B = Single Time Hours C = Single Time Cost D = Time and a Half Hours E = Time and a Half Cost F = Double Time Hours G = Double Time Costs H = Total costs In columns C,E and G I have the following formulae C > =IF(B3="","",SUM(B3*A3)) E > =IF(D3="","",SUM(A3*D3)+(D3/2*A3)) G > =IF(F3="","",SUM(F3*2*A3)) which calculate the cost of overtime, but leave the cell blank if n hours are enterr...

Re:

Re: Where should be the best place to stored Applcation Data Files?
"Giovanni Dicanio" <gdicanio@_NOSPAM_email_DOT_it> ha scritto nel messaggio news:... > BTW: this post by John Robbins is very interesting reading: > http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/default.aspx copy-and-pasto - the correct link is this: http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/archive/2008/07/10/in-defense-of-vista-and-the-challenges-facing-windows-7.aspx Giovanni And then there's this Vista security discussion from last Friday (cool date, 8/8/8): http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/08/08/1155208 -GB On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 18:50:23 +0200, ...

test 05-05-10
Am unable to post queries, just testing ...

Re-enter payee information
I have been using MS Money to pay bills and frequent annoyance is when I type in the payee, the selection list never shows the payees. I type it in and have to re- enter the account number and everything. Doesn't make sense that i have to keep putting this in. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? I've checked these boards and found help with my passport problem but no entries on this issue. Money has two kinds of Payees. Explicit--those on the explicit list that shows in Accounts & Bills|Categories & Payees|Payees--and implicit--those that are recorded somewhere in a tra...

MS Query instead of "Edit OLE DB Query"
Hello all, I am having a problem with editing some existing queries within Excel 2003 workbooks. When clicking on the "Edit Query" button from the External Data toolbar, I now get the "Edit OLE DB Query" dialog box, instead of MS Query, which was the interface that I previously would get. Is there a way to switch this back? I have been using Office 2003 on Windows XP Pro SP2. I recently had Microsoft Update upgrade my version of Office 2003 from SP2 to SP3. The problems appear to have started after that. I can still create new queries in Excel using MS Query, which is...