Querying between two dates doesn't work if Start and End are ident

Hello guys.

I'm trying to run a very simple query that shows all results from a table
called EE_DR, where the Date field in this table is between two certain
dates. I have a form called Snapshot that has two text boxes StartDate and
EndDate that populate the query.

The query is as follows:

SELECT * FROM EE_DR
WHERE (((EE_DR.Date) Between [Forms].[snapshot].[StartDate] And
[Forms].[Snapshot].[EndDate]));

The problem I'm having is that is if I put today's date as the start and the
end date, even though there should be 1 result for today, no results are
actually found.

If I change the range of dates so that it queries from yesterday to
tomorrow, today's result is found just fine.

The date field used in the query is formatted as a short date in UK format
dd/mm/yyy.

Any reason why this is happening?

eat for a lifetime".

"Richard Horne" wrote:

> Hello guys.
>
> I'm trying to run a very simple query that shows all results from a table
> called EE_DR, where the Date field in this table is between two certain
> dates. I have a form called Snapshot that has two text boxes StartDate and
> EndDate that populate the query.
>
> The query is as follows:
>
> SELECT * FROM EE_DR
> WHERE (((EE_DR.Date) Between [Forms].[snapshot].[StartDate] And
> [Forms].[Snapshot].[EndDate]));
>
> The problem I'm having is that is if I put today's date as the start and the
> end date, even though there should be 1 result for today, no results are
> actually found.
>
> If I change the range of dates so that it queries from yesterday to
> tomorrow, today's result is found just fine.
>
> The date field used in the query is formatted as a short date in UK format
> dd/mm/yyy.
>
> Any reason why this is happening?
You probably need to include the time in the comparison. The date stored in
the tab e probably has a time in it.
-- Dorian
eat for a lifetime".

Richard Horne wrote:
> Hello guys.
>
> I'm trying to run a very simple query that shows all results from a
> table called EE_DR, where the Date field in this table is between two
> certain dates. I have a form called Snapshot that has two text boxes
> StartDate and EndDate that populate the query.

I understand what you are trying to say, but to be correct, these textboxes
are supplying criteria that are filtering the query results. "Populate" is
more commonly used to describe the process of entering data into a table.

> The query is as follows:
>
> SELECT * FROM EE_DR
> WHERE (((EE_DR.Date) Between [Forms].[snapshot].[StartDate] And
> [Forms].[Snapshot].[EndDate]));
>
> The problem I'm having is that is if I put today's date as the start
> and the end date, even though there should be 1 result for today, no
> results are actually found.
>
> If I change the range of dates so that it queries from yesterday to
> tomorrow, today's result is found just fine.
>
> The date field used in the query is formatted as a short date in UK
> format dd/mm/yyy.
>
> Any reason why this is happening?

My initial thought was that times were entered into EE_DR.Date *.
Date/Time fields always store both date and time. The Format property is
irrelevant: it only controls how data is displayed. Date/Times are stored as
Double numbers, with the whole number portion representing the number of
days since the seed date, and the decimal representing the time of day (0 =
midnight and .5 = noon). So, if you enter today's date, without specifying
the time, the query is understanding you to have entered midnight. If the
value in EE_DR.Date is ont midnight, then it will get excluded from the
result. You can verify if that is the problem by running this query:
select Date] from EE_DR
where CInt([Date]) <> [Date]

My second thought (and the one I now think is probably the correct answer)
is you are entering dates in UK format. Date literals must be supplied to
queries in either US format (mm/dd/yyy), or, preferably, ISO format
(yyyy-mm-dd). You can confirm this easily enough. I would suggest you use a
calendar control to solicit date values from your users, or at least add
text to your form instructing them to enter them in ISO format.

* "Date" is a horrible name for a field. It is a reserved keyword since it
is the name of a VBA function. Someday you will run into an error such as
"unrecognized function: Date()" which is caused by the use of that word as a
field or table name. I'm a little surprised you are getting away without
putting brackets around the field name in your sql statement above.
Typically, the use of a reserved keyword in a query will raise an error
unless you delimit it with brackets as I have done in my example above. The
other issue is that "Date" is very non-descriptive: date of what? Adding
more description to the name (BirthDate,TransactionDate, ModificationDate,
etc.) will help you avoid using reserved keywords, a list of which can be
found here:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2080
--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
"NO SPAM"

0
Bob
11/23/2009 3:33:53 PM
Dorian - I think you're onto something there.

If I put 00:00 and 23:59 on the end of my Start and End dates then the
expected results show.

Any ideas how I can either stop this behavious, or automatically bolt the
correct times onto the end of my start and end date variables?
Try this --
  SELECT * FROM EE_DR
WHERE ((DateValue(EE_DR.Date) Between [Forms].[snapshot].[StartDate] And
[Forms].[Snapshot].[EndDate]));

--
Build a little, test a little.

Richard Horne wrote:
> Dorian - I think you're onto something there.
>
> If I put 00:00 and 23:59 on the end of my Start and End dates then the
> expected results show.
>
> Any ideas how I can either stop this behavious, or automatically bolt
> the correct times onto the end of my start and end date variables?

You can change your criterion to either this:
WHERE EE_DR.[Date] >= [Forms].[snapshot].[StartDate] And
EE_DR.[Date] < [Forms].[Snapshot].[EndDate] + 1

or this:

WHERE EE_DR.[Date] BETWEEN [Forms].[snapshot].[StartDate] And
[Forms].[Snapshot].[EndDate] + 0.999

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
"NO SPAM"

0
Bob
11/23/2009 3:48:17 PM
Karl that worked a treat!

What a legend! Thanks mate.

"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

> Try this --
>   SELECT * FROM EE_DR
> WHERE ((DateValue(EE_DR.Date) Between [Forms].[snapshot].[StartDate] And
> [Forms].[Snapshot].[EndDate]));
>
> --
> Build a little, test a little.
>

> "Richard Horne" wrote:
>
> > Dorian - I think you're onto something there.
> >
> > If I put 00:00 and 23:59 on the end of my Start and End dates then the
> > expected results show.
> >
> > Any ideas how I can either stop this behavious, or automatically bolt the
> > correct times onto the end of my start and end date variables?
Thanks for your reply Bob.

Yep, you're right on my mis-use of the specific work populate and I'll
remember that in the future.

I also concede your point about naming a field Date - stupid move and one I
made when I first learning about Access and Databases full stop. As ever with
projects that spiral out of hand like mine inevitably has, mistakes made
early on are often very difficult to resolve after the fact. Particularly
when you have numerous reports, queries and forms picking up the data.

Luckily I'm about to rebuild our entire database so won't be making that
mistake again.

As it happens I don't think the date being formatted according to a UK style
was the problem. Karl's suggestion of adding DateValue solved it in the
simplest way possible.

Thanks all.

Richard Horne wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Bob.
>
> Yep, you're right on my mis-use of the specific work populate and I'll
> remember that in the future.
>
> I also concede your point about naming a field Date - stupid move and
> one I made when I first learning about Access and Databases full
> stop. As ever with projects that spiral out of hand like mine
> inevitably has, mistakes made early on are often very difficult to
> resolve after the fact. Particularly when you have numerous reports,
> queries and forms picking up the data.
>
> Luckily I'm about to rebuild our entire database so won't be making
> that mistake again.
>
> As it happens I don't think the date being formatted according to a
> UK style was the problem. Karl's suggestion of adding DateValue
> solved it in the simplest way possible.

The problem with that solution is it may have impaired performance by making
your criterion "nonsargable". If you have an index on that date field, using
DateValue in that manner will prevent that index from being used. Using
either of my solutions is just as simple, and they have the added benefit of
allowing an index to be used. Again:

WHERE EE_DR.[Date] >= [Forms].[snapshot].[StartDate] And
EE_DR.[Date] < [Forms].[Snapshot].[EndDate] + 1

or this:

WHERE EE_DR.[Date] BETWEEN [Forms].[snapshot].[StartDate] And
[Forms].[Snapshot].[EndDate] + 0.999

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
"NO SPAM"

0
Bob
11/23/2009 4:24:23 PM
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 07:08:01 -0800, Richard Horne
<RichardHorne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello guys.
>
>I'm trying to run a very simple query that shows all results from a table
>called EE_DR, where the Date field in this table is between two certain
>dates. I have a form called Snapshot that has two text boxes StartDate and
>EndDate that populate the query.
>
>The query is as follows:
>
>SELECT * FROM EE_DR
>WHERE (((EE_DR.Date) Between [Forms].[snapshot].[StartDate] And
>[Forms].[Snapshot].[EndDate]));
>
>The problem I'm having is that is if I put today's date as the start and the
>end date, even though there should be 1 result for today, no results are
>actually found.
>
>If I change the range of dates so that it queries from yesterday to
>tomorrow, today's result is found just fine.
>
>The date field used in the query is formatted as a short date in UK format
>dd/mm/yyy.
>
>Any reason why this is happening?

The problem is that if your range is from #11/1/2009# to #11/23/2009#, that
range stops at midnight last night - and #11/23/2009 10:14:45# is LATER than
that end time.

Try

PARAMETERS [Forms].[snapshot].[StartDate] DateTime,
[Forms].[snapshot].[EndDate] DateTime;
SELECT * FROM EE_DR
WHERE (((EE_DR.Date) >= [Forms].[snapshot].[StartDate] And
(EE_DR.Date) < DateAdd("d", 1,[Forms].[Snapshot].[EndDate])));

to a) be sure that the criteria are parsed as dates and b) catch the records
from the last day of the range.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

How to Calculate the Date and The Number
Guys, Please help me on how to do the below calculations. Date (YYDDMM) 080131 = it goes like this 8+1+3+1 = 13 is the answer Text 1000888 = it goes like this 1+8+8+8= 25 is the answer Thanks This function will do what you seek: Private Function GetSumOfDigits(varData As Variant) As Long Dim lngPos As Long, lngSum As Long lngSum = 0 If IsNull(varData) = False Then For lngPos = 1 To Len(varData) lngSum = lngSum + Val(Mid(varData, lngPos, 1)) Next lngPos End If GetSumOfDigits = lngSum End Function -- Ken Snell <M...

Working out UK tax
ive set up a spreadsheet to calculate my income per week. I now would like to make my tax and national insurance boxes to be calculated automatically. meaning all im required to do is type in my hours worked for that week. The problem is finding a formula that can do this. The UK tax and national insurance is directly proportional to how much you earn. Not one fixed percentage. Let me show us some numbers: - Payslip 1 Total Pay = 297.62 Tax = 40.65 = 13.7% N.I = 22.73 = 7.6% Payslip 2 Total Pay = 242.63 Tax =...

Drillthrough report using "Jump to URL" quits working when Parent Report Parameter values are changed
I have a summary report that lists totals and the report has the ability to drillthrough to another "details" report by clicking the numbers on the summary report. The details report is rendered in a separate window using "Jump to URL" and passing the parameters from the summary report to the details report. This has worked fine for some time, but my problem is I need to modify the values of one of the report parameters that is used by the summary report and passed to the detail report. When I modify the parameter "value" and deploy the report the ...

Timer for Queries?

Erratic results from query criteria

Updating Data from two different worksheets
I have two worksheets, General Ledger and Out Ledger. The general ledge lists our inventory according to a LOT ID and the total number of item in that lot; i.e. column A: Lot ID, column B: Total Number of Pieces column C: Balance The Out Ledger lists the number of items sold from a particular lot i.e. column A: Lot ID, column B: Number Sold I want to be able to calculate the Balance in the General Ledger give the Number Sold in the Out Ledger. I am having difficulty in makin sure the Lot ID's match up and that the proper cells are referenced. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appr...

Remove-Item -recurse still doesn't work?
I remember having issues with remove-item -recurse in v1, but directly from get-help remove-item in v2: "The Recurse parameter in this cmdlet does not work properly." .... C:\PS>get-childitem * -include *.csv -recurse | remove-item .... Because the Recurse parameter in this cmdlet is faulty, the command uses the Get-Childitem cmdlet to get the desired files, and it uses the pipeline operator to pass them to the Remove-Item cmdlet. and yet this filed bug: http://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/feedback/details/87456/remove-item-recurse-and-copy-item-recurse-exclud...

Update Query ?

Two questions
Hey everyone, I have two questions: 1. I have created a patient manager database that tracks appointments, billing, and medications. I have 4 subforms within a main form. I want to be able to create one main record with subrecords for appointments, billing, and medication associated to it. Can this be done? 2. Everytime I am in the database, other users can't save their records. How do I change this and still limit user access? Thank you in advance. -- bhsvixon On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:59:02 -0800, 1encapdiva <tgrandberry@encapomaha.org> wrote: >Hey ever...

ImagePath= \??\C:\... (Start and stop driver driver using net start/stop drivername)
Hi, it is a non Pnp Driver ImagePath= \??\C:\Windows\system32\drivers\myDriver.sys -> The driver can be startet but no Driver details For what is the \??\ for ? Can some one explain it ? Why does it not work on if the following paths are set? ImagePath= system32\drivers\myDriver.sys -> System error 2 has occurred. -> The system cannot find the file specified. ImagePath= %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\myDriver.sys -> System error 2 has occurred. -> The system cannot find the path specified. cheers, GeminiServer > Why does it not work on if the followi...

Sort by Hebrew Date
Does anyone know if (and how) Excel's sort by date function can be used to sort by Hebrew date rather than English Date? Excel can handle the year, but the months and days do not map directly. If you format the dates as integers in the form yyyymmdd, always using 2 digits for the month and day, the standard numerical sort might work. -- Gary's Student "Desperate Dan" wrote: > Does anyone know if (and how) Excel's sort by date function can be used to > sort by Hebrew date rather than English Date? > ...

design query match anywhere?
In the design query I want to match the letters "ABC" anywhere in the column 'description'. I could not get instr to work by using: InStr(description, "ABC")) > 0 How else can I match ABC (upper and lowercase) to anywhere in my 'description' column? Thanks! Are you saying you put that InStr bit as a criteria under your Description field in the query designer? Try putting Like "*ABC*" as the criteria instead. Alternatively, you could add a computed field to the query InStr([Description, "ABC") and then put >0 as the ...

Two different organizers in one meting
imagine the folowing: Person A is the assistant of Person B, who has given delegation on his calender. When person A makes a meeting request in the calendar of person B and has made a reservation of a resource (meeting room), everything seems to be working fine. however, when person A opens the meeting request in the calendar folder of Person B, I can see that the organizer of the meeting is Person B. When I open the meeting in the calendar of the resource mailbox, the organizer of the meeting is Person A ?? This occurs with Outlook 2007 SP2 and Exchange 2010. Is there a way t...

automatic date
Is there anyway that a specific date shall be entered automatically for example the computer shall search in the excel table if there is already a date as the 10 of the current month if not it shall input the date in a date field a cell each 10 th of the month after it past or on it ...

Windows Media Player 11 stopped working
As near as I can tell, I have WMP version 11.0.6002.18111 installed on my Vista Home Premium system. I haven't used it in a while, so I'm not sure when the problem arose, but whenever I try to play a file or even just open the player, I'm informed it has stopped working with the following information provided: roblem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: wmplayer.exe Application Version: 11.0.6002.18111 Application Timestamp: 4aa91411 Fault Module Name: kernel32.dll Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18005 Fault Module Timestamp: 49e037dd Exception Cod...

start at not zer
how would i go about creating a scatter graph without including 0-60 in the y axis? i have a column of values which i have used to make a scatter graph, the lowest being 76ish and the highest being 123ish, so there is no need for the space for 0 - 70, so how would i not include this, or use that little symbol which means that the graph units don't start at zero (the little zigzag on the line) any help would be appreciated Format/ Axis/ Scale and set the minimum to your desired value. .... or for a broken axis, try http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html -- David Biddu...

I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It seems to be when I have certain custom fields included in my view that the query errors out. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. Just wanted to add that I seem to get errors when there is a 0.00 amount in these fields... "TJ" wrote: > I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" > when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It se...

pass through query

Show two value ranges on one axis
How do you show two value ranges of the same data on one axis? (the axis range is separated by a zigzag/heartbeat style line). e.g. instead of showing 0-50, the axis could show 10-25 and 40-45. Any help appreciated! Take a look at Jon Peltier's Broken Y axis example. http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html "NOKIA" <NOKIA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2564B7F7-0693-4A7E-A5C8-9D3180B4EA6B@microsoft.com... > How do you show two value ranges of the same data on one axis? (the axis > range is separated by a zigzag/heartbeat style l...

Getting Started
As a newbie without adequate documentation, I need some guidance. Our company is primarily focused on using CRM for sales of our services: Installation / Consulting / Maintenance all on an hourly basis or in prepaid blocks of time. I am confused in setting up the Units with the Product Catalog and how to attach the purchase of blocks of time to a contract. Has anyone setup anything similar that can offer some suggestions? ...

a count field in a query?

E-mail hyperlinks won't work
I upgraded from Outlook 2000 to 2002 with my new PocketPC installation. Now when I click on any highlighted hyperlinks within a recvd e-mail msg, a dialog box pops up and it appears to start an unpacking tool to run an install for Acrobat Reader all on its own. It does with any hyperlink selected from any msg. Does anyone know where you go in to fix this. Thanks, Chris ...

Saving Username and Pass with Web Queries
I am pulling data from a website that requires you to provide a usernam and password everytime you visit the site. Excel has cachin capabilities, but everytime you close excel and try and open up th spreadsheet again, it can't login. What is the fix for this? Thanks, Hend -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Bump! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Birthday query for many children in one record
I have a database for the church, it has one main flat table only. Each record for the parents have field for child1 name, child1birthday, child2 name, child2birthday, child3 name, child3birthday - up to 5 children. I am having difficulty trying to get a report to list the birthdays of the children like this parent name, child 1 name, child 1 birthday month etc. so you get something like this:- Parent John Smith, child Mary Smith January 3 Parent Fred Jones, child Bert Jones March 4 Parent John Smith, child Jane Smith March 6 Parent Harry Brown, child Jane Brown March 6 Parent Bert Taylor,...

Unresponsive Query Wizard
Hi there, I have an Excel 2003 user who is using a spreadsheet that pulls data from our SQL server. When he opens it and refreshes the data it is fine, it pulls the current data, but when he tries to edit the query, the Query Wizard does not appear, he can see it on the task bar, but when he switches focus using task manager everything is greyed out and nothing works. I have tested the file from my computer and it is fine, which suggests a problem with his machine or installation. Does anyone have any ideas? Cheers, Steve Dooza wrote: > Hi there, > I have an Excel 2003 user who...