Query that calls value from one table field to another table field

I have a query where I need the table (Station) first name field and last
name field to populate to another table (Admin) field.  The query is linked
by "Phone Template".  The purpose of this is due to needing the data field
from the second table to import into a tool used by my company.  The field
names are CPND_FIRST_NAME and CPND_LAST_NAME, which come up blank when the
query is run.

Is there a way to have the names from from Station Table field to populate
in the Admin Table field within the query?

Thanks in Advance,
Lisa W.

Lisa

I may not use the same definition of the term "populate".  It sounds like
you are asking for a way to copy data that's already stored in one place
into another place.  It is rarely necessary to do so in a well-normalized
relational database.

Can you clarify what you are trying to do?

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"Lisa W." <LisaW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a query where I need the table (Station) first name field and last
> name field to populate to another table (Admin) field.  The query is
> linked
> by "Phone Template".  The purpose of this is due to needing the data field
> from the second table to import into a tool used by my company.  The field
> names are CPND_FIRST_NAME and CPND_LAST_NAME, which come up blank when the
> query is run.
>
> Is there a way to have the names from from Station Table field to populate
> in the Admin Table field within the query?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Lisa W.

0
Jeff
12/7/2007 11:49:01 PM
I'm trying to get the data from Table 1, Field "x"), to show up in Field "z",
from Table 2.

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> Lisa
>
> I may not use the same definition of the term "populate".  It sounds like
> you are asking for a way to copy data that's already stored in one place
> into another place.  It is rarely necessary to do so in a well-normalized
> relational database.
>
> Can you clarify what you are trying to do?
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>
> "Lisa W." <LisaW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a query where I need the table (Station) first name field and last
> > name field to populate to another table (Admin) field.  The query is
> > linked
> > by "Phone Template".  The purpose of this is due to needing the data field
> > from the second table to import into a tool used by my company.  The field
> > names are CPND_FIRST_NAME and CPND_LAST_NAME, which come up blank when the
> > query is run.
> >
> > Is there a way to have the names from from Station Table field to populate
> > in the Admin Table field within the query?
> >
> > Thanks in Advance,
> > Lisa W.

More details:

Table 1:
Table Name:  Station_DataSheet1
Field Name:  First Name

Table 2:
Table Name:  Admin
Field Name: CPND_FIRST_NAME

Criteria:  [Station_DataSheet1]![First Name]

**I want the first name that's in Table 1, to show up in the CPND_FIRST_NAME
field in table 2.  Is this possible?

Thanks,
Lisa W.

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> Lisa
>
> I may not use the same definition of the term "populate".  It sounds like
> you are asking for a way to copy data that's already stored in one place
> into another place.  It is rarely necessary to do so in a well-normalized
> relational database.
>
> Can you clarify what you are trying to do?
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>
> "Lisa W." <LisaW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a query where I need the table (Station) first name field and last
> > name field to populate to another table (Admin) field.  The query is
> > linked
> > by "Phone Template".  The purpose of this is due to needing the data field
> > from the second table to import into a tool used by my company.  The field
> > names are CPND_FIRST_NAME and CPND_LAST_NAME, which come up blank when the
> > query is run.
> >
> > Is there a way to have the names from from Station Table field to populate
> > in the Admin Table field within the query?
> >
> > Thanks in Advance,
> > Lisa W.

Yes.

Now, WHY?!  (just because it is possible doesn't make it a good idea -- I'm
raising this question to help determine if it is...)

Again, in a well-normalized relational database, you DON'T want to store the
same data (e.g., firstname) in more than one table.

In a spreadsheet, maybe yes, but there's no need to do so in Access...

> More details:
>
> Table 1:
> Table Name:  Station_DataSheet1
> Field Name:  First Name
>
> Table 2:
> Table Name:  Admin
> Field Name: CPND_FIRST_NAME
>
> Criteria:  [Station_DataSheet1]![First Name]
>
> **I want the first name that's in Table 1, to show up in the
> CPND_FIRST_NAME
> field in table 2.  Is this possible?
>
> Thanks,
> Lisa W.
>

> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>
>> Lisa
>>
>> I may not use the same definition of the term "populate".  It sounds like
>> you are asking for a way to copy data that's already stored in one place
>> into another place.  It is rarely necessary to do so in a well-normalized
>> relational database.
>>
>> Can you clarify what you are trying to do?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff Boyce
>> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>>
>> "Lisa W." <LisaW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a query where I need the table (Station) first name field and
>> >last
>> > name field to populate to another table (Admin) field.  The query is
>> > linked
>> > by "Phone Template".  The purpose of this is due to needing the data
>> > field
>> > from the second table to import into a tool used by my company.  The
>> > field
>> > names are CPND_FIRST_NAME and CPND_LAST_NAME, which come up blank when
>> > the
>> > query is run.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to have the names from from Station Table field to
>> > populate
>> > in the Admin Table field within the query?
>> >
>> > Thanks in Advance,
>> > Lisa W.

0
Jeff

Drillthrough report using "Jump to URL" quits working when Parent Report Parameter values are changed
I have a summary report that lists totals and the report has the ability to drillthrough to another "details" report by clicking the numbers on the summary report. The details report is rendered in a separate window using "Jump to URL" and passing the parameters from the summary report to the details report. This has worked fine for some time, but my problem is I need to modify the values of one of the report parameters that is used by the summary report and passed to the detail report. When I modify the parameter "value" and deploy the report the ...

Timer for Queries?

Erratic results from query criteria

Update Query ?

Number and text format in the same call
I'm trying to change the format of the following" 12345678 to 123-45-678 -- in other words, adding the dashes. Some of the numbers are the same 8 digits, but also have a letter. They are currently: 12345678A to 123-45-678A Thank you, In a helper column put this formula and copy down.....then do Copy > PasteSpecial > Values on that helper column to eliminate the formulas and delete the original column if desired. =LEFT(A1,3)&"-"&MID(A1,4,2)&"-"&MID(A1,6,99) Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Jim Davis" <Jim Davis@discussions.m...

How to update values in message boxes from within VBA?
I have a macro (in VB) as shown down below invoked by F11 - I created it initially with record macro. It allows me to type in a name for an invoice and increment the invoice number. When I first press F11 it invokes two consecutive message boxes to accept input to update two fields on the invoice. The first message box comes up with the current value of the field from the invoice template (Client Name). I change the name in the this first message box and press OK on the message box. The second message box comes up with the current value of the field from the invoice templat...

Using Access form to assign values of variables in an Excel VBA program
I have created a VBA program for Ms Excel.But,to get desired results, every time, I go into the code to change the values of variables.Is there a way to get the values of variables stored in an Access table? YOu need to do a search for ADO method (ActiveX Data Object). There are plenty of example of code on the web. You need to add two references in your VBA to use the method. from VBA menu tools - References 1) Microsoft Access XX.X object library 2) Microsfot ActiveX Data Objects X.X library Use the latest versio of the two libraries on your PC. You will make a conn...

design query match anywhere?
In the design query I want to match the letters "ABC" anywhere in the column 'description'. I could not get instr to work by using: InStr(description, "ABC")) > 0 How else can I match ABC (upper and lowercase) to anywhere in my 'description' column? Thanks! Are you saying you put that InStr bit as a criteria under your Description field in the query designer? Try putting Like "*ABC*" as the criteria instead. Alternatively, you could add a computed field to the query InStr([Description, "ABC") and then put >0 as the ...

Matching data in tables
I have two tables of data, some of the rows are duplicated in these tables i want to find the data that is different. will an advanced filter do this? Chip Pearson has lots of info about working with duplicates at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm Jo Davis wrote: > > I have two tables of data, some of the rows are duplicated in these tables i > want to find the data that is different. > > will an advanced filter do this? -- Dave Peterson Cheers Dave "Dave Peterson" wrote: > Chip Pearson has lots of info about working with duplicates at: >...

field highlight
i have an account spreadsheet. with a column heading reading status. How can i tell excel to highlight all cells containing status "I" fo inactive in red, and status "A" for active in green -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You would use Format>Conditional Formatting for this. Select the column in question(I'll assume A). Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula is: enter =A1="I" Format>Pattern Red>OK Add =A1="A" Format>Pattern Green>OK Note: you can use up to three conditional formats(four if you count...

Two different organizers in one meting
imagine the folowing: Person A is the assistant of Person B, who has given delegation on his calender. When person A makes a meeting request in the calendar of person B and has made a reservation of a resource (meeting room), everything seems to be working fine. however, when person A opens the meeting request in the calendar folder of Person B, I can see that the organizer of the meeting is Person B. When I open the meeting in the calendar of the resource mailbox, the organizer of the meeting is Person A ?? This occurs with Outlook 2007 SP2 and Exchange 2010. Is there a way t...

keep value if formula has no data
I have a worksheet that automatically updates everyday and works some calculations for me. How can I get the formula sheet to keep the value from the previous day if there is no data today. Because now it is filling in all my cells with zeros. Thanks -- Nicki Taylor Post your formula. -- Regards, RD ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit ! ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------- "NTaylor" <...

I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It seems to be when I have certain custom fields included in my view that the query errors out. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. Just wanted to add that I seem to get errors when there is a 0.00 amount in these fields... "TJ" wrote: > I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" > when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It se...

pass through query

Pivot Table Summary Error?
Greetings, Sorry, wasn't sure which subforum to post this in, as there's nothing dedicated to pivot table. My dilemma is as follows: I have a spreadsheet where data is entered daily. For my example, just imagine a spreadsheet with three columns: date, date, delay. Two date columns are used for the pivot table. The pivot table is displayed with month and weekly ranges as the row headers. There is a field in the pivot table that is summarized as a MAX of one of the source data columns. Now, the problem I am coming across is the monthly summary MAX is not c...

Which one first?Install Windows Server 2003 SP1 or Exchange SP2 ? #2
Hi, We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update the software in terms of patches, so which one should I do first, the OS patches (SP1 and onwards) or the Exchange patches ? By the way, any issue with Exchange SP2 ? Rgrds, Zul See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=37488 and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=896742. I would recomment upgrading Exchange first. -- Regards, Roland "Zul J" wrote: > Hi, > > We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update > the software in terms of patches, so which one...

Removing a field From a Pivot Table
I'm working with a pvt table in excel. Right now there are several fields in the pvt table, including the month different entries are made and the account that made them. When i hit the show detail button in the pivot table i get the detail all of the entries grouped by month and by account on a separate sheet. I want to continue to do this, but i want to also be able to get a second view where i hit the show detail button and only see the detail grouped my account (month is either hidden or totally removed from this list of data in the pvt table and the rows that composed the different...

Show two value ranges on one axis
How do you show two value ranges of the same data on one axis? (the axis range is separated by a zigzag/heartbeat style line). e.g. instead of showing 0-50, the axis could show 10-25 and 40-45. Any help appreciated! Take a look at Jon Peltier's Broken Y axis example. http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html "NOKIA" <NOKIA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2564B7F7-0693-4A7E-A5C8-9D3180B4EA6B@microsoft.com... > How do you show two value ranges of the same data on one axis? (the axis > range is separated by a zigzag/heartbeat style l...

Is there a auto-graph generator functionality in EXCEL/VBA? Hi all, I am not sure if this could be done, but in my mind, I want the folllowing functioanlity: I highlight one input cell and one ou
Is there a auto-graph generator functionality in EXCEL/VBA? Hi all, I am not sure if this could be done, but in my mind, I want the folllowing functioanlity: I highlight one input cell and one output cell, (of course the output cell is dependent on the input cell through potentially complicated dependency) and then a window pops up and asks me for the range and step size of the graph. And then it automatically generate a graph plotting output vs. input. Everything should be automatic. Furthermore, I would like to ask if the following can be easily done: I highlight multiple input cell...

Accidentally tried moving outlook folder to another drive....now cannot use Outlook 2007 on Vista
1. Was getting ready to back up laptop to install a full version of Windows 7. 2. Accidentally tried moving the folder that held OUTLOOK DATA BACKUP folder (outlook.pst and outlook1.pst) 3. Got an error message about moving it (realized then this outer folder held outlook); so cancelled move. -- outlook files did NOT get moved or copied to another drive -- outlook.pst and outlook1.pst are still in original location 4. I have restarted my computer. 5. I tried starting Outlook 2007 (I have Vista version 6 service pack 2) 6. It gives me the following error (it will not open): ca...

Passing Values from One Form to Another Including a Combo Box
Hi, hope someone can help with passing two values from one form to another by way of a command button. I have spent a week on various code taken from this site, but still no luck. Please ... someone help!! The form I am passing values from is called PATIENT HISTORY-Form. On this form, I need to pass a date from a field called DateSFESigned and I also need to pass information collected from a Combo box, Combo91. The command button is called Command119. The form that the values are being passed to is called Personal Habits- Form. Thank you in advance for any help on this matter. Maurita ...

a count field in a query?

Birthday query for many children in one record
I have a database for the church, it has one main flat table only. Each record for the parents have field for child1 name, child1birthday, child2 name, child2birthday, child3 name, child3birthday - up to 5 children. I am having difficulty trying to get a report to list the birthdays of the children like this parent name, child 1 name, child 1 birthday month etc. so you get something like this:- Parent John Smith, child Mary Smith January 3 Parent Fred Jones, child Bert Jones March 4 Parent John Smith, child Jane Smith March 6 Parent Harry Brown, child Jane Brown March 6 Parent Bert Taylor,...

Location of Grand Total in Pivot table
Is the a way to show the Grand total next to the selected Field as opposed to the right now column ( I am using a file that had data results by Date)? You can not move the grand totals. They is where they is and that's where they stays... -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "Rosemary" wrote: > Is the a way to show the Grand total next to the selected Field as opposed to > the right now column ( I am using a file that had data results by Date)? ...

Conditioning formating a data value to change to a color
Hello, What I am trying to do is lets say I have a bunch of numbers in column F (for illustration purposes I will only show one number) and what I would like if any of the numbers in column F are greater than 300 I want it to change the color of that number to red automatical (See example) date time day evening night 24hr. Totals 3/12/04 8:00 100 12:00 300 4:00 600 1000 (change to red) I have no problem with changing the number to red m...