Query most recent records only

I am not having much luck with trying to write a query to find the last (most
recent dates) 5 records for ALL names listed in the 'Customers' table.

SELECT tblOrders.*, tblCustomers.ID
FROM tblOrders RIGHT JOIN tblCustomers ON tblOrders.Name = tblCustomers.Name
ORDER BY tblCustomers.ID, tblOrders.Date;

Appreciate any help,
Kevin

KevinE

hi Kevin,

On 05.03.2010 05:23, KevinE via AccessMonster.com wrote:
> I am not having much luck with trying to write a query to find the last (most
> recent dates) 5 records for ALL names listed in the 'Customers' table.

SELECT TOP 5 O.*, C.ID
FROM tblOrders O
RIGHT JOIN tblCustomers C
ON O.Name = C.Name
ORDER BY C.ID, O.Date DESC;

btw, I'm quite sure that you have normalization problem. Why do you need
to join by name?

mfG
--> stefan <--
0
Stefan
3/5/2010 8:44:52 AM
Stefan Hoffman's solution gives you the top five by date in table orders over
all customers (basically 5 orders).

If you mean you want the top 5 orders by date for each customer then that can
also be done using a correlated sub-query in the WHERE clause.  That would
look something like the following.  I guessed that tblOrders has a primary key
named OrderID.  You do need a primary key in the tblOrders.

SELECT tblOrders.*, tblCustomers.ID
FROM tblOrders RIGHT JOIN tblCustomers
ON tblOrders.Name = tblCustomers.Name
WHERE tblOrders.OrderID in
    (SELECT TOP 5 OrderID
     FROM TblOrders as Temp
     WHERE Temp.Name =tblOrders.Name
     ORDER BY Temp.Date DESC, TEMP.OrderID)
ORDER BY tblCustomers.ID, tblOrders.Date

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

Stefan Hoffmann wrote:
> hi Kevin,
>
> On 05.03.2010 05:23, KevinE via AccessMonster.com wrote:
>> I am not having much luck with trying to write a query to find the
>> last (most
>> recent dates) 5 records for ALL names listed in the 'Customers' table.
>
> SELECT TOP 5 O.*, C.ID
> FROM tblOrders O
> RIGHT JOIN tblCustomers C
> ON O.Name = C.Name
> ORDER BY C.ID, O.Date DESC;
>
> btw, I'm quite sure that you have normalization problem. Why do you need
> to join by name?
>

> mfG
> --> stefan <--
0
John

show select records in report
Shows every record: Private Sub Report_Open(Cancel As Integer) Dim stDocName As String Dim strInvoicing As String Dim strSites As String strInvoicing = "InvPercent" strSites = "Base List.Subform!SiteComplete" Shows one page of report but fields are blank.... Private Sub Report_Open(Cancel As Integer) Dim stDocName As String Dim strInvoicing As String Dim strSites As String strInvoicing = "InvPercent" strSites = "Base List.Subform!SiteComplete" stDocName = "Open Projects&...

Timer for Queries?

Erratic results from query criteria

Update Query ?

design query match anywhere?
In the design query I want to match the letters "ABC" anywhere in the column 'description'. I could not get instr to work by using: InStr(description, "ABC")) > 0 How else can I match ABC (upper and lowercase) to anywhere in my 'description' column? Thanks! Are you saying you put that InStr bit as a criteria under your Description field in the query designer? Try putting Like "*ABC*" as the criteria instead. Alternatively, you could add a computed field to the query InStr([Description, "ABC") and then put >0 as the ...

I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It seems to be when I have certain custom fields included in my view that the query errors out. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. Just wanted to add that I seem to get errors when there is a 0.00 amount in these fields... "TJ" wrote: > I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" > when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It se...

Move through records with self made buttons only
I'm currently busy with the following: I have made the navigation buttons on my forms invisible, and added my own buttons on the form instead. Future users (without any knowledge of access) can scroll between forms with these buttons. The problem I'm facing now: I can still navigate between records without using my buttons, using the scroll wheel on the mouse, as well as the tab-button on my keyboard. This can be distracting for future users of the form. My question: How do I make sure that navigating between records is ONLY possible using my self made buttons? Assumin...

pass through query

Journal Activities Recorded in Contacts
When I am in a Contact, and pull up Activities/All Items, I am assuming these are being pulled from the journal? If so, why is it that the only folder being accessed for email messages is the Sent Folder? Is there a way to view all activities - Phone calls, Documents, and emails residing in the Inbox, Sent Folders and Personal Folders. Also, if I delete these emails from their 'home' folders, will they be retained in the journal/activities? If so, does this mean they are still on the Exchange Server? Thanks. Activities are lists of contacts in the Contacts field (Links c...

a count field in a query?

updating records in subform
Hi, I have my main form frm_bundlelog with a subform frm_bundledocs linked by the BundleNo and Bundle# fields. I have a button btnupdate on my form that when I click on it, it would update the AssignedToSub field on my subform with the value of the AssignedTo field that is on the main form. I have teh following code: Private Sub btnupdate_Click() On Error GoTo Err_btnupdate_Click Forms!frm_bundlelog!AssignedTo = Forms!frm_bundledocs!AssignedToSub Exit_btnupdate_Click: Exit Sub Err_btnupdate_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_btnupdate_Click End Sub This is...

Saving Username and Pass with Web Queries
I am pulling data from a website that requires you to provide a usernam and password everytime you visit the site. Excel has cachin capabilities, but everytime you close excel and try and open up th spreadsheet again, it can't login. What is the fix for this? Thanks, Hend -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Bump! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Birthday query for many children in one record
I have a database for the church, it has one main flat table only. Each record for the parents have field for child1 name, child1birthday, child2 name, child2birthday, child3 name, child3birthday - up to 5 children. I am having difficulty trying to get a report to list the birthdays of the children like this parent name, child 1 name, child 1 birthday month etc. so you get something like this:- Parent John Smith, child Mary Smith January 3 Parent Fred Jones, child Bert Jones March 4 Parent John Smith, child Jane Smith March 6 Parent Harry Brown, child Jane Brown March 6 Parent Bert Taylor,...

Unresponsive Query Wizard
Hi there, I have an Excel 2003 user who is using a spreadsheet that pulls data from our SQL server. When he opens it and refreshes the data it is fine, it pulls the current data, but when he tries to edit the query, the Query Wizard does not appear, he can see it on the task bar, but when he switches focus using task manager everything is greyed out and nothing works. I have tested the file from my computer and it is fine, which suggests a problem with his machine or installation. Does anyone have any ideas? Cheers, Steve Dooza wrote: > Hi there, > I have an Excel 2003 user who...

limiting the lines (not record) at details section for printing
Hi there, I would like the report to be limited to 12 lines (not record) per page at report details section (the report details do grow). If the line >12 then ForceNewPage property to start a new page. Appreciated if you can send me a code if it is possible. Thanks in advance! Andy wrote: >I would like the report to be limited to 12 lines (not record) per page at >report details section (the report details do grow). If the line >12 then >ForceNewPage property to start a new page. There is no reasonable way to calculate the number of lines and you can not add a page ...

Duplicate record
I am getting the "Duplicate Record" error when converting a lead to an account and a contact or to ands account, contact and opportunity. But I don't get the error when the other combinations are tried. ...

Another simple query
Dear all, I have a table that contains first names and last names in different fields. Is there any way to write a query that will give as a result the first name and last name in the same field? I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance! SELECT [last_name_field] & ", " & [first_name_field] AS whole_name FROM [your_name_table] Change the field and table names to whatever your actual fields and tables are. Cheers, Jason Lepack On Apr 23, 9:47 am, Homer <peter.a.r...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Dear all, > > I have a table that contains first names an...

Query query
I am trying to create a new field in which it shows the sum total of 10 fields (Charge Time, Charge Time 2, Charge Time 3, etc.); what is the easiest way to do this? -- Joe NewFieldName: [Charge Time] + [Charge Time 2] + [Charge Time 3] .... etc -- Good Luck BS"D "joet5402" wrote: > I am trying to create a new field in which it shows the sum total of 10 > fields (Charge Time, Charge Time 2, Charge Time 3, etc.); what is the easiest > way to do this? > -- > Joe I tried this, and it doesn't work. Is there something I'm forgetting? -- Joe ...

group by query trouble
I'm trying to run a query that counts the number of people with hemoglobin of type SS, type SC, and then all others. There are about 12 different kinds of types. Basically I want a count for SS, a count for SC, and then a count that totals all the others into one count. Hopefully that makes sense. I'm using group by for the SS and SC which works great, but I'm not sure how to tell it to add up the others. I'm not a big fan of nested IIf statements, but this should work after you put in the proper field and table names: SELECT IIf([Hemoglobin]="SC","SC&...

To Query or not to Query??
Hello all - I'm a newbe to Access but have made great progress. I'm using Acess 2003. The db is up and running prefectly. Now I need to tackle the reporting. I have seen posts about reports and queries and am a little confused. Do I need to create a query to run my reports off of? I have a tabbed subform in the main form. There are seven tabs breaking up all the services we provide. Like "Promo Items", "Leads", "Client Printed Material","Internal Print Material" and so on. The main form has the User, Branch and Marketing Rep. I need to...

Adding a new record with a reference to another table
Not sure if this is a 'Query' question or a database design question but hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction. I have a database with 3 tables, Roles, Targets and Actions, defined as follows: tblTargets ========== TargetID (AutoNum, PK) TargetText (Text) tblRoles ======== RoleID (AutoNum, PK) RoleText (Text, unique index) tblActions ========== ActionID (AutoNum, PK) RoleID (Integer) TargetID (Integer) ActionText (Text) TargetID+RoleID = Unique index For each Target there may be several combinations of Roles/Actions. I'd like to be able to crea...

Dynamic Query
Hi! I am trying to dynamically modify my pass-through query containing a procedure call with 2 parameters. When I run my access app, I get this error: "Object or provider is not capable of performing reuqested operation." Below is my access code: Dim varItem As Variant Dim strSQL As String Dim cat As ADOX.Catalog Dim cmd As ADODB.Command Dim strMyDate As String, dtMyDate As Date dtMyDate = CDate([Forms]![ySalesHistory]![Start Date]) strMyDate = Format(dtMyDate, "yyyymmdd") strSQL = "procCustomerSalesandPayments '" & s...

Linking tables in a query
I have a database that contains information on a certain number of individuals during different session. Table 1 'tbl_Tracking_Form1' has information on sessions 2,4 and 6. Table 2 'tbl_Tracking_Form2' has information on sessions 1,3 and 5. Table 3 'tbl_General_Info' has demographic information on all the individuals (those who will eventually attentd sessions 1,2,3,5,5 and 6). I need to create two reports. One (Report1) should display all the information on the individuals during session 2, 4 and 6 and another(Report2) that displays all the information on the i...

Query in Access 2007
I have linked via ODBC tables from another database. I have created a query to pull in two columns of information from the two tables in the query. I would like to add an extra column that is only created when the query is run, to dynamically number each row incrementally, depending on how many rows the query returns. If it returns 10 rows, then the first column should be numbered 1 to 10, if it returns 357 rows, then the rows should automatically incrementally number each from from 1 to 357. Try this but substitute your table and field names. Prim is your primary key. This can o...

web query query!
Hi All I've developed a worksheet that retrieves external data from a web page (stocks & shares info). At the moment I display the data at a certain cell in the worksheet so other cells in the sheet can calculate values of my shares. As I don't need the all the external data to be viewed (I only need one column of values), is there a way to extract the data I need from the web query without displaying it all in the worksheet? Thanks in advance Dave ...