Query Enhancement Request

Hello again,

Yesterday I got some great help on my problem with my query and I would like
to enhance on that a little with your help.

here is the current SQL I'm using...
SELECT tbl_main.cbID, Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4) AS sort1
FROM tbl_main
GROUP BY tbl_main.cbID, Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4)
HAVING (((Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4))>=1))
ORDER BY Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4);

This takes "CB-01-1101-09-07", breaks it down to just "1101" and sorts it
for me.  Which is great, but is there a way to have this "Show" me all the
Missing or out of place data?  The data should include all of the nubers from
0001 through ???? and I'm wanting to find out which numbers are missing?
--
You want it done by when?  *laughs*

Append the data from:

 SELECT tbl_main.cbID AS id, Val(Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4)) AS sort1
 FROM tbl_main
 WHERE Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4) >=1
 GROUP BY tbl_main.cbID, Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4)
 ORDER BY  tbl_main.cbID,  Val(Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4))

into a new temporary table with 3 fields, an autonumber field, plus the two
fields of the query. Assuming that new table is called temp, use:

SELECT id, MIN(sort1), MAX(sort1)
FROM temp
GROUP BY id, sort1-auto

and that will list the number that are USED, such as,

id001,  1, 123
id001,  125, 166
id001,  187, 187
id002,  1,  16

would mean that for id=id001, numbers 1 to 123 are used, 125 to 166 are
used, and 187 is also used. For id=id002, numbers from 1 to 16 are used.

Vanderghast, Access MVP

"Dispatcher Scott" <DispatcherScott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:0200315D-6FD5-4C51-B802-B969598A990D@microsoft.com...
> Hello again,
>
> Yesterday I got some great help on my problem with my query and I would
> like
> to enhance on that a little with your help.
>
> here is the current SQL I'm using...
> SELECT tbl_main.cbID, Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4) AS sort1
> FROM tbl_main
> GROUP BY tbl_main.cbID, Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4)
> HAVING (((Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4))>=1))
> ORDER BY Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4);
>
> This takes "CB-01-1101-09-07", breaks it down to just "1101" and sorts it
> for me.  Which is great, but is there a way to have this "Show" me all the
> Missing or out of place data?  The data should include all of the nubers
> from
> 0001 through ???? and I'm wanting to find out which numbers are missing?
> --
> You want it done by when?  *laughs*

0
Michel
9/6/2007 4:04:27 PM
If you mean you want to see the entire field, then include it in the query.

SELECT tbl_main.cbID, Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4) AS sort1, CBNumRemarks
FROM tbl_main
GROUP BY tbl_main.cbID, Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4), CbNumRemarks
HAVING (((Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4))>=1))
ORDER BY Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4);

If you mean something else, then perhaps you can try to be more specific on
what results you are looking for.

--
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007

"Dispatcher Scott" <DispatcherScott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:0200315D-6FD5-4C51-B802-B969598A990D@microsoft.com...
> Hello again,
>
> Yesterday I got some great help on my problem with my query and I would
> like
> to enhance on that a little with your help.
>
> here is the current SQL I'm using...
> SELECT tbl_main.cbID, Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4) AS sort1
> FROM tbl_main
> GROUP BY tbl_main.cbID, Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4)
> HAVING (((Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4))>=1))
> ORDER BY Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4);
>
> This takes "CB-01-1101-09-07", breaks it down to just "1101" and sorts it
> for me.  Which is great, but is there a way to have this "Show" me all the
> Missing or out of place data?  The data should include all of the nubers
> from
> 0001 through ???? and I'm wanting to find out which numbers are missing?
> --
> You want it done by when?  *laughs*

0
John
9/6/2007 4:07:31 PM
Create a table of numbers 0001 through ????.  The easy way is to use Excel
autofill and copy/paste or import int to the table with text field (leading
zeros).
Left join the number table to your query Sort1.  You might use a criteria
either a prompt for the top number or DLookup the max.

--
KARL DEWEY
Build a little - Test a little

"Dispatcher Scott" wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> Yesterday I got some great help on my problem with my query and I would like
> to enhance on that a little with your help.
>
> here is the current SQL I'm using...
> SELECT tbl_main.cbID, Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4) AS sort1
> FROM tbl_main
> GROUP BY tbl_main.cbID, Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4)
> HAVING (((Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4))>=1))
> ORDER BY Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4);
>
> This takes "CB-01-1101-09-07", breaks it down to just "1101" and sorts it
> for me.  Which is great, but is there a way to have this "Show" me all the
> Missing or out of place data?  The data should include all of the nubers from
> 0001 through ???? and I'm wanting to find out which numbers are missing?
> --
> You want it done by when?  *laughs*
Let me see if I can explain this better... (John I like the code you put that
shows the whole field...)

I have a list of numbers...

CB-02-1100-08-07
CB-01-1101-09-07
CB-04-1102-09-07
CB-06-1103-09-07
CB-02-1104-09-07
etc...

There are CB-??-0001-??-??  through CB-??-1511-??-?? in my DB so far...
I need to know if any of the numbers between 0001 and 1511 are missing?

Some of the data in the DB does NOT have a CB number at all, so ID200 will
not be CB-??-0200-??-??
--

"Dispatcher Scott" wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> Yesterday I got some great help on my problem with my query and I would like
> to enhance on that a little with your help.
>
> here is the current SQL I'm using...
> SELECT tbl_main.cbID, Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4) AS sort1
> FROM tbl_main
> GROUP BY tbl_main.cbID, Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4)
> HAVING (((Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4))>=1))
> ORDER BY Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4);
>
> This takes "CB-01-1101-09-07", breaks it down to just "1101" and sorts it
> for me.  Which is great, but is there a way to have this "Show" me all the
> Missing or out of place data?  The data should include all of the nubers from
> 0001 through ???? and I'm wanting to find out which numbers are missing?
> --
> You want it done by when?  *laughs*
IF all your CbNumRemarks fields start with "CB-02-", then you can try the
following.  It should return the missing numbers at the start of the gaps.
For instance if 1011, 1012, 1013, and 1042 are missing, it should return
1011 and 1042.

SELECT M1.cbID
, Format(Val(Mid(M1.CbNumRemarks,7)) +1, "0000") as StartGap
FROM tbl_main as M1 LEFT JOIN tbl_Main as M2
ON Val(Mid(M1.CbNumRemarks,7)) = Val(Mid(M2.CbNumRemarks,7)) + 1
WHERE M2.cbNumRemarks is Null
ORDER BY Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4);

If you have multiple strings that start the number, I would try to tackle
this with two queries.  The first to break the string down into component
parts.  The second uses the first as its source.

--

message news:20230AE0-9392-48DE-AAB0-5EC9114CFCBE@microsoft.com...
> Let me see if I can explain this better... (John I like the code you put
> that
> shows the whole field...)
>
> I have a list of numbers...
>
> CB-02-1100-08-07
> CB-01-1101-09-07
> CB-04-1102-09-07
> CB-06-1103-09-07
> CB-02-1104-09-07
> etc...
>
> There are CB-??-0001-??-??  through CB-??-1511-??-?? in my DB so far...
> I need to know if any of the numbers between 0001 and 1511 are missing?
>
> Some of the data in the DB does NOT have a CB number at all, so ID200 will
> not be CB-??-0200-??-??
> --
> You want it done by when?  *laughs*
>

> "Dispatcher Scott" wrote:
>
>> Hello again,
>>
>> Yesterday I got some great help on my problem with my query and I would
>> like
>> to enhance on that a little with your help.
>>
>> here is the current SQL I'm using...
>> SELECT tbl_main.cbID, Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4) AS sort1
>> FROM tbl_main
>> GROUP BY tbl_main.cbID, Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4)
>> HAVING (((Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4))>=1))
>> ORDER BY Mid([CBnumRemarks],7,4);
>>
>> This takes "CB-01-1101-09-07", breaks it down to just "1101" and sorts it
>> for me.  Which is great, but is there a way to have this "Show" me all
>> the
>> Missing or out of place data?  The data should include all of the nubers
>> from
>> 0001 through ???? and I'm wanting to find out which numbers are missing?
>> --
>> You want it done by when?  *laughs*

0
John

Timer for Queries?

Erratic results from query criteria

Update Query ?

design query match anywhere?
In the design query I want to match the letters "ABC" anywhere in the column 'description'. I could not get instr to work by using: InStr(description, "ABC")) > 0 How else can I match ABC (upper and lowercase) to anywhere in my 'description' column? Thanks! Are you saying you put that InStr bit as a criteria under your Description field in the query designer? Try putting Like "*ABC*" as the criteria instead. Alternatively, you could add a computed field to the query InStr([Description, "ABC") and then put >0 as the ...

Numbered Discovery Requests
Could you advise of a way to number discovery requests sequentially, for instance, Interrogatory No. 1, Request for Production No. 1, Request for Admission No. 1. They need to be numbered individually as these requests are normally intermingled throughout a document and not grouped together. But each type of request needs to be sequentially numbered according to the type of request it is. Is this explanation confusing? Maybe this will help: Interrogatory No. 1 Request for Production No. 1 Interrogatory No. 2 Interrogatory No. 3 Request for Production No. 2 Request for Admi...

I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It seems to be when I have certain custom fields included in my view that the query errors out. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. Just wanted to add that I seem to get errors when there is a 0.00 amount in these fields... "TJ" wrote: > I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" > when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It se...

pass through query

Requesting a real search engine for PartnerSource
Hi, Could we have a real search engine for PartnerSource? You know, like the ones with the "Advanced" button and real boolean operators? Getting 200 returns for "printer compatibility" just doesn't cut it. Regards, Bret ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree&...

a count field in a query?

Birthday query for many children in one record
I have a database for the church, it has one main flat table only. Each record for the parents have field for child1 name, child1birthday, child2 name, child2birthday, child3 name, child3birthday - up to 5 children. I am having difficulty trying to get a report to list the birthdays of the children like this parent name, child 1 name, child 1 birthday month etc. so you get something like this:- Parent John Smith, child Mary Smith January 3 Parent Fred Jones, child Bert Jones March 4 Parent John Smith, child Jane Smith March 6 Parent Harry Brown, child Jane Brown March 6 Parent Bert Taylor,...

Saving Username and Pass with Web Queries
I am pulling data from a website that requires you to provide a usernam and password everytime you visit the site. Excel has cachin capabilities, but everytime you close excel and try and open up th spreadsheet again, it can't login. What is the fix for this? Thanks, Hend -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Bump! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Unresponsive Query Wizard
Hi there, I have an Excel 2003 user who is using a spreadsheet that pulls data from our SQL server. When he opens it and refreshes the data it is fine, it pulls the current data, but when he tries to edit the query, the Query Wizard does not appear, he can see it on the task bar, but when he switches focus using task manager everything is greyed out and nothing works. I have tested the file from my computer and it is fine, which suggests a problem with his machine or installation. Does anyone have any ideas? Cheers, Steve Dooza wrote: > Hi there, > I have an Excel 2003 user who...

Another simple query
Dear all, I have a table that contains first names and last names in different fields. Is there any way to write a query that will give as a result the first name and last name in the same field? I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance! SELECT [last_name_field] & ", " & [first_name_field] AS whole_name FROM [your_name_table] Change the field and table names to whatever your actual fields and tables are. Cheers, Jason Lepack On Apr 23, 9:47 am, Homer <peter.a.r...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Dear all, > > I have a table that contains first names an...

Query query
I am trying to create a new field in which it shows the sum total of 10 fields (Charge Time, Charge Time 2, Charge Time 3, etc.); what is the easiest way to do this? -- Joe NewFieldName: [Charge Time] + [Charge Time 2] + [Charge Time 3] .... etc -- Good Luck BS"D "joet5402" wrote: > I am trying to create a new field in which it shows the sum total of 10 > fields (Charge Time, Charge Time 2, Charge Time 3, etc.); what is the easiest > way to do this? > -- > Joe I tried this, and it doesn't work. Is there something I'm forgetting? -- Joe ...

group by query trouble
I'm trying to run a query that counts the number of people with hemoglobin of type SS, type SC, and then all others. There are about 12 different kinds of types. Basically I want a count for SS, a count for SC, and then a count that totals all the others into one count. Hopefully that makes sense. I'm using group by for the SS and SC which works great, but I'm not sure how to tell it to add up the others. I'm not a big fan of nested IIf statements, but this should work after you put in the proper field and table names: SELECT IIf([Hemoglobin]="SC","SC&...

To Query or not to Query??
Hello all - I'm a newbe to Access but have made great progress. I'm using Acess 2003. The db is up and running prefectly. Now I need to tackle the reporting. I have seen posts about reports and queries and am a little confused. Do I need to create a query to run my reports off of? I have a tabbed subform in the main form. There are seven tabs breaking up all the services we provide. Like "Promo Items", "Leads", "Client Printed Material","Internal Print Material" and so on. The main form has the User, Branch and Marketing Rep. I need to...

Dynamic Query
Hi! I am trying to dynamically modify my pass-through query containing a procedure call with 2 parameters. When I run my access app, I get this error: "Object or provider is not capable of performing reuqested operation." Below is my access code: Dim varItem As Variant Dim strSQL As String Dim cat As ADOX.Catalog Dim cmd As ADODB.Command Dim strMyDate As String, dtMyDate As Date dtMyDate = CDate([Forms]![ySalesHistory]![Start Date]) strMyDate = Format(dtMyDate, "yyyymmdd") strSQL = "procCustomerSalesandPayments '" & s...

Query in Access 2007
I have linked via ODBC tables from another database. I have created a query to pull in two columns of information from the two tables in the query. I would like to add an extra column that is only created when the query is run, to dynamically number each row incrementally, depending on how many rows the query returns. If it returns 10 rows, then the first column should be numbered 1 to 10, if it returns 357 rows, then the rows should automatically incrementally number each from from 1 to 357. Try this but substitute your table and field names. Prim is your primary key. This can o...

Linking tables in a query
I have a database that contains information on a certain number of individuals during different session. Table 1 'tbl_Tracking_Form1' has information on sessions 2,4 and 6. Table 2 'tbl_Tracking_Form2' has information on sessions 1,3 and 5. Table 3 'tbl_General_Info' has demographic information on all the individuals (those who will eventually attentd sessions 1,2,3,5,5 and 6). I need to create two reports. One (Report1) should display all the information on the individuals during session 2, 4 and 6 and another(Report2) that displays all the information on the i...

query question
I want to be able to run a query i guess to populate the additional information fields in the customer properties. I sell certain items that have warranties and serial numbers and would like the product name (or discription) to display on the first field the date of purchase on the second feild, and the serial # on the third field. I would like to be able to run this query i guess on a weekly bases and be able to run t for all of my past sales as well. Victor ...

web query query!
Hi All I've developed a worksheet that retrieves external data from a web page (stocks & shares info). At the moment I display the data at a certain cell in the worksheet so other cells in the sheet can calculate values of my shares. As I don't need the all the external data to be viewed (I only need one column of values), is there a way to extract the data I need from the web query without displaying it all in the worksheet? Thanks in advance Dave ...

MS Query: WHERE vs HAVING
When I use MS Query to bring data from an external source, Query usually translates my criteria into a HAVING statement, which results in my criteria being included in the GROUP BY statement -- which I do not want. I then have to manually change the HAVING to a WHERE, move the criteria up above the GROUP BY and edit the GROUP BY. I don't like to be bothered to do this, and have trouble explaining this technique to others. Is there a way to make MS Query default to WHERE instead of HAVING? Is there a way to influence which method is used for a particulary query? Thank you. ...

Is there a way to turn off the prompts of a make table query?
I merely want to update the table to be used as an export to Excel using TransferSpreadsheet. Each time it prompts for deleting old records and adding new records. Is there a was to turn off the prompts? Bottom line - I want to create an Macro to export the output of a query to an Excel spreadsheet. BobC, DoCmd.SetWarnings False 'Off Your TransferSpreadsheet line here DoCmd.SetWarnings True 'On -- Gina Whipp "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm "...

what is query
I have two table. Table1 : ID# name_of_staff Table2 : File_No (Auto number) Document_Name Forwarded_To The above two table have to connect together. This is a filing system for my day today papers which is each one is going to files after process. I will put File_No as I get from the secnd table on the respective papers to file. What is data type of ID# and File_No Kutty Unless the two tables have a common field they share, how will Access know which records belong together? I'm not seeing a shared field ... ...

Outlook Web Access does not request password always
I have a newly installed Exchange 2003 server. When you access OWA from a workstation on the LAN or over the Internet using IE it will prompt you for a password one time. Once you log in successfully it never prompts you for a password again. This includes if you log off and close all browser windows in addition to rebooting. On one of my test machines I have accessing this over the Internet I entered my accounts password over 48 hours ago and it has not prompted me again. Since then I have rebooted and used the computer normally. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should ...