Queries?

Is it possible to make an "update query" to roll back year to date overtime
hours?   I have an tblhours that totals all overtime hours worked and refused
in which I have ran queries to sum all of those.  Once a year we have to
rollback the year to date overtime hours which means we take the lowest
employee, he goes to "0" and we subtract the lowest employees hours from the
highest employees hours.   I was trying to do this in an update query, but
everything I try subtracts, for example, 10 hours from every line of
overtime in the tblhours table.    I know you are not suppose to do
calculations in the table, but I'm not sure how to subract the amount from
the totals.  Any help would be appreciated.

Your table would not have a record that is the total to subtract from. So add
a record that has a negative value equal to that of the lowest employee.
--
KARL DEWEY
Build a little - Test a little

"Melinda" wrote:

> Is it possible to make an "update query" to roll back year to date overtime
> hours?   I have an tblhours that totals all overtime hours worked and refused
> in which I have ran queries to sum all of those.  Once a year we have to
> rollback the year to date overtime hours which means we take the lowest
> employee, he goes to "0" and we subtract the lowest employees hours from the
> highest employees hours.   I was trying to do this in an update query, but
> everything I try subtracts, for example, 10 hours from every line of
> overtime in the tblhours table.    I know you are not suppose to do
> calculations in the table, but I'm not sure how to subract the amount from
> the totals.  Any help would be appreciated.
I am not sure I understand what you are saying.   Do I need to add an
additional column in the table?    I am not certain where to show the
negative amount.   Wouldn't the negative take off of each record?   Sorry for
not understanding.

"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

> Your table would not have a record that is the total to subtract from. So add
> a record that has a negative value equal to that of the lowest employee.
> --
> KARL DEWEY
> Build a little - Test a little
>

> "Melinda" wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to make an "update query" to roll back year to date overtime
> > hours?   I have an tblhours that totals all overtime hours worked and refused
> > in which I have ran queries to sum all of those.  Once a year we have to
> > rollback the year to date overtime hours which means we take the lowest
> > employee, he goes to "0" and we subtract the lowest employees hours from the
> > highest employees hours.   I was trying to do this in an update query, but
> > everything I try subtracts, for example, 10 hours from every line of
> > overtime in the tblhours table.    I know you are not suppose to do
> > calculations in the table, but I'm not sure how to subract the amount from
> > the totals.  Any help would be appreciated.
Add a negative record for each individual.
--
KARL DEWEY
Build a little - Test a little

"Melinda" wrote:

> I am not sure I understand what you are saying.   Do I need to add an
> additional column in the table?    I am not certain where to show the
> negative amount.   Wouldn't the negative take off of each record?   Sorry for
> not understanding.
>
> "KARL DEWEY" wrote:
>
> > Your table would not have a record that is the total to subtract from. So add
> > a record that has a negative value equal to that of the lowest employee.
> > --
> > KARL DEWEY
> > Build a little - Test a little
> >

> > "Melinda" wrote:
> >
> > > Is it possible to make an "update query" to roll back year to date overtime
> > > hours?   I have an tblhours that totals all overtime hours worked and refused
> > > in which I have ran queries to sum all of those.  Once a year we have to
> > > rollback the year to date overtime hours which means we take the lowest
> > > employee, he goes to "0" and we subtract the lowest employees hours from the
> > > highest employees hours.   I was trying to do this in an update query, but
> > > everything I try subtracts, for example, 10 hours from every line of
> > > overtime in the tblhours table.    I know you are not suppose to do
> > > calculations in the table, but I'm not sure how to subract the amount from
> > > the totals.  Any help would be appreciated.
I have to roll back 400+ employees overtime and adding a record for each
individual would be a little cumbersome, but if that is the only way then I
will have to.   Will an update query not work for this situation since the
hours are totaled in a query?      I made a seperate table and the update
query works fine for that paticular table, but I don't have any relationships
set up for that table and it is a table that only reflects year to date
totals.

"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

> Add a negative record for each individual.
> --
> KARL DEWEY
> Build a little - Test a little
>

> "Melinda" wrote:
>
> > I am not sure I understand what you are saying.   Do I need to add an
> > additional column in the table?    I am not certain where to show the
> > negative amount.   Wouldn't the negative take off of each record?   Sorry for
> > not understanding.
> >
> > "KARL DEWEY" wrote:
> >
> > > Your table would not have a record that is the total to subtract from. So add
> > > a record that has a negative value equal to that of the lowest employee.
> > > --
> > > KARL DEWEY
> > > Build a little - Test a little

I assumed that you were recording hours on a weekly basis - one record per
employee per week.  How are you recording hour and overtime?  Wheredo you
expect to rollback the quanity?
--
KARL DEWEY
Build a little - Test a little

"Melinda" wrote:

> I have to roll back 400+ employees overtime and adding a record for each
> individual would be a little cumbersome, but if that is the only way then I
> will have to.   Will an update query not work for this situation since the
> hours are totaled in a query?      I made a seperate table and the update
> query works fine for that paticular table, but I don't have any relationships
> set up for that table and it is a table that only reflects year to date
> totals.
>
> "KARL DEWEY" wrote:
>
> > Add a negative record for each individual.
> > --
> > KARL DEWEY
> > Build a little - Test a little
> >

> > "Melinda" wrote:
> >
> > > I am not sure I understand what you are saying.   Do I need to add an
> > > additional column in the table?    I am not certain where to show the
> > > negative amount.   Wouldn't the negative take off of each record?   Sorry for
> > > not understanding.

We plow snow for the State of Ohio and I am recording overtime everytime they
are called in for any type of overtime.   I am recording each and every
occurance.   So if we have a snow storm--it will be on a daily basis.   Where
I roll back the overtime?---I am not sure.   This paticular time I did the
negative hours in the form, just as you said, but it was cumbersome and
everyone is equal by class, etc., etc.   I am thinking possibly I need to
create a seperate table with just year to date hours, but everything that I
have learned in Access advises you not to calculate in the tables and that is
exactly what I would be doing.   I was messing with an update query and it
works in a standalone table, but I don't have that table related to anything
at this point, so I have just entered by own fake numbers.

Thanks for all your helpl

"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

> I assumed that you were recording hours on a weekly basis - one record per
> employee per week.  How are you recording hour and overtime?  Wheredo you
> expect to rollback the quanity?
> --
> KARL DEWEY
> Build a little - Test a little
>

> "Melinda" wrote:
>
> > I have to roll back 400+ employees overtime and adding a record for each
> > individual would be a little cumbersome, but if that is the only way then I
> > will have to.   Will an update query not work for this situation since the
> > hours are totaled in a query?      I made a seperate table and the update
> > query works fine for that paticular table, but I don't have any relationships
> > set up for that table and it is a table that only reflects year to date
> > totals.
> >
> > "KARL DEWEY" wrote:
> >
> > > Add a negative record for each individual.
> > > --
> > > KARL DEWEY
> > > Build a little - Test a little

What is your table structure.  Post sample data that you store.
--
KARL DEWEY
Build a little - Test a little

"Melinda" wrote:

> We plow snow for the State of Ohio and I am recording overtime everytime they
> are called in for any type of overtime.   I am recording each and every
> occurance.   So if we have a snow storm--it will be on a daily basis.   Where
> I roll back the overtime?---I am not sure.   This paticular time I did the
> negative hours in the form, just as you said, but it was cumbersome and
> everyone is equal by class, etc., etc.   I am thinking possibly I need to
> create a seperate table with just year to date hours, but everything that I
> have learned in Access advises you not to calculate in the tables and that is
> exactly what I would be doing.   I was messing with an update query and it
> works in a standalone table, but I don't have that table related to anything
> at this point, so I have just entered by own fake numbers.
>
> Thanks for all your helpl
>
> "KARL DEWEY" wrote:
>
> > I assumed that you were recording hours on a weekly basis - one record per
> > employee per week.  How are you recording hour and overtime?  Wheredo you
> > expect to rollback the quanity?
> > --
> > KARL DEWEY
> > Build a little - Test a little
> >

> > "Melinda" wrote:
> >
> > > I have to roll back 400+ employees overtime and adding a record for each
> > > individual would be a little cumbersome, but if that is the only way then I
> > > will have to.   Will an update query not work for this situation since the
> > > hours are totaled in a query?      I made a seperate table and the update
> > > query works fine for that paticular table, but I don't have any relationships
> > > set up for that table and it is a table that only reflects year to date
> > > totals.

Employee Name.......Text
TMSEmployeeNo......Text
PGAC.......Number
ReasonWorked...........Text
PayPeriodEnding...........Text
DateWorked...............Date/Time
OvertimeCodes.............Text
HousWorked.................Number
HoursBanked..............Number
Comments...............Memo

This is the table I record all the overtime in and I total it by the
different overtime codes and so forth.    I would like to update this table,
but I think possibly the only way to do it, is to do as you say and put in a
negative recrod....but it could get quite cumbersome.

Thanks

"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

> What is your table structure.  Post sample data that you store.
> --
> KARL DEWEY
> Build a little - Test a little
>

> "Melinda" wrote:
>
> > We plow snow for the State of Ohio and I am recording overtime everytime they
> > are called in for any type of overtime.   I am recording each and every
> > occurance.   So if we have a snow storm--it will be on a daily basis.   Where
> > I roll back the overtime?---I am not sure.   This paticular time I did the
> > negative hours in the form, just as you said, but it was cumbersome and
> > everyone is equal by class, etc., etc.   I am thinking possibly I need to
> > create a seperate table with just year to date hours, but everything that I
> > have learned in Access advises you not to calculate in the tables and that is
> > exactly what I would be doing.   I was messing with an update query and it
> > works in a standalone table, but I don't have that table related to anything
> > at this point, so I have just entered by own fake numbers.
> >
> > Thanks for all your helpl
> >
> > "KARL DEWEY" wrote:
> >
> > > I assumed that you were recording hours on a weekly basis - one record per
> > > employee per week.  How are you recording hour and overtime?  Wheredo you
> > > expect to rollback the quanity?
> > > --
> > > KARL DEWEY
> > > Build a little - Test a little

Backup your database and try this after you determine how many hours to
rollback.  Change the table name from Melinda to the actual name. Use any
additional fields  and codes as necessary.

INSERT INTO Melinda ( [Employee Name], TMSEmployeeNo, DateWorked,
OvertimeCodes, HoursWorked )
SELECT Melinda.[Employee Name], Melinda.TMSEmployeeNo, Date() AS X,
"Rollback" AS Y, -[Enter the number of hours to rollback] AS Z
FROM Melinda
GROUP BY Melinda.[Employee Name], Melinda.TMSEmployeeNo, "Rollback", -[Enter

"Melinda" wrote:

> Employee Name.......Text
> TMSEmployeeNo......Text
> PGAC.......Number
> ReasonWorked...........Text
> PayPeriodEnding...........Text
> DateWorked...............Date/Time
> OvertimeCodes.............Text
> HousWorked.................Number
> HoursBanked..............Number
> Comments...............Memo
>
> This is the table I record all the overtime in and I total it by the
> different overtime codes and so forth.    I would like to update this table,
> but I think possibly the only way to do it, is to do as you say and put in a
> negative recrod....but it could get quite cumbersome.
>
> Thanks
>
> "KARL DEWEY" wrote:
>
> > What is your table structure.  Post sample data that you store.
> > --
> > KARL DEWEY
> > Build a little - Test a little
> >

> > "Melinda" wrote:
> >
> > > We plow snow for the State of Ohio and I am recording overtime everytime they
> > > are called in for any type of overtime.   I am recording each and every
> > > occurance.   So if we have a snow storm--it will be on a daily basis.   Where
> > > I roll back the overtime?---I am not sure.   This paticular time I did the
> > > negative hours in the form, just as you said, but it was cumbersome and
> > > everyone is equal by class, etc., etc.   I am thinking possibly I need to
> > > create a seperate table with just year to date hours, but everything that I
> > > have learned in Access advises you not to calculate in the tables and that is
> > > exactly what I would be doing.   I was messing with an update query and it
> > > works in a standalone table, but I don't have that table related to anything
> > > at this point, so I have just entered by own fake numbers.
> > >
> > > Thanks for all your helpl

Timer for Queries?

Erratic results from query criteria

Update Query ?

design query match anywhere?
In the design query I want to match the letters "ABC" anywhere in the column 'description'. I could not get instr to work by using: InStr(description, "ABC")) > 0 How else can I match ABC (upper and lowercase) to anywhere in my 'description' column? Thanks! Are you saying you put that InStr bit as a criteria under your Description field in the query designer? Try putting Like "*ABC*" as the criteria instead. Alternatively, you could add a computed field to the query InStr([Description, "ABC") and then put >0 as the ...

I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It seems to be when I have certain custom fields included in my view that the query errors out. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. Just wanted to add that I seem to get errors when there is a 0.00 amount in these fields... "TJ" wrote: > I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" > when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It se...

pass through query

a count field in a query?

Birthday query for many children in one record
I have a database for the church, it has one main flat table only. Each record for the parents have field for child1 name, child1birthday, child2 name, child2birthday, child3 name, child3birthday - up to 5 children. I am having difficulty trying to get a report to list the birthdays of the children like this parent name, child 1 name, child 1 birthday month etc. so you get something like this:- Parent John Smith, child Mary Smith January 3 Parent Fred Jones, child Bert Jones March 4 Parent John Smith, child Jane Smith March 6 Parent Harry Brown, child Jane Brown March 6 Parent Bert Taylor,...

Saving Username and Pass with Web Queries
I am pulling data from a website that requires you to provide a usernam and password everytime you visit the site. Excel has cachin capabilities, but everytime you close excel and try and open up th spreadsheet again, it can't login. What is the fix for this? Thanks, Hend -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Bump! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Unresponsive Query Wizard
Hi there, I have an Excel 2003 user who is using a spreadsheet that pulls data from our SQL server. When he opens it and refreshes the data it is fine, it pulls the current data, but when he tries to edit the query, the Query Wizard does not appear, he can see it on the task bar, but when he switches focus using task manager everything is greyed out and nothing works. I have tested the file from my computer and it is fine, which suggests a problem with his machine or installation. Does anyone have any ideas? Cheers, Steve Dooza wrote: > Hi there, > I have an Excel 2003 user who...

Another simple query
Dear all, I have a table that contains first names and last names in different fields. Is there any way to write a query that will give as a result the first name and last name in the same field? I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance! SELECT [last_name_field] & ", " & [first_name_field] AS whole_name FROM [your_name_table] Change the field and table names to whatever your actual fields and tables are. Cheers, Jason Lepack On Apr 23, 9:47 am, Homer <peter.a.r...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Dear all, > > I have a table that contains first names an...

Query query
I am trying to create a new field in which it shows the sum total of 10 fields (Charge Time, Charge Time 2, Charge Time 3, etc.); what is the easiest way to do this? -- Joe NewFieldName: [Charge Time] + [Charge Time 2] + [Charge Time 3] .... etc -- Good Luck BS"D "joet5402" wrote: > I am trying to create a new field in which it shows the sum total of 10 > fields (Charge Time, Charge Time 2, Charge Time 3, etc.); what is the easiest > way to do this? > -- > Joe I tried this, and it doesn't work. Is there something I'm forgetting? -- Joe ...

group by query trouble
I'm trying to run a query that counts the number of people with hemoglobin of type SS, type SC, and then all others. There are about 12 different kinds of types. Basically I want a count for SS, a count for SC, and then a count that totals all the others into one count. Hopefully that makes sense. I'm using group by for the SS and SC which works great, but I'm not sure how to tell it to add up the others. I'm not a big fan of nested IIf statements, but this should work after you put in the proper field and table names: SELECT IIf([Hemoglobin]="SC","SC&...

To Query or not to Query??
Hello all - I'm a newbe to Access but have made great progress. I'm using Acess 2003. The db is up and running prefectly. Now I need to tackle the reporting. I have seen posts about reports and queries and am a little confused. Do I need to create a query to run my reports off of? I have a tabbed subform in the main form. There are seven tabs breaking up all the services we provide. Like "Promo Items", "Leads", "Client Printed Material","Internal Print Material" and so on. The main form has the User, Branch and Marketing Rep. I need to...

Dynamic Query
Hi! I am trying to dynamically modify my pass-through query containing a procedure call with 2 parameters. When I run my access app, I get this error: "Object or provider is not capable of performing reuqested operation." Below is my access code: Dim varItem As Variant Dim strSQL As String Dim cat As ADOX.Catalog Dim cmd As ADODB.Command Dim strMyDate As String, dtMyDate As Date dtMyDate = CDate([Forms]![ySalesHistory]![Start Date]) strMyDate = Format(dtMyDate, "yyyymmdd") strSQL = "procCustomerSalesandPayments '" & s...

Query in Access 2007
I have linked via ODBC tables from another database. I have created a query to pull in two columns of information from the two tables in the query. I would like to add an extra column that is only created when the query is run, to dynamically number each row incrementally, depending on how many rows the query returns. If it returns 10 rows, then the first column should be numbered 1 to 10, if it returns 357 rows, then the rows should automatically incrementally number each from from 1 to 357. Try this but substitute your table and field names. Prim is your primary key. This can o...

Linking tables in a query
I have a database that contains information on a certain number of individuals during different session. Table 1 'tbl_Tracking_Form1' has information on sessions 2,4 and 6. Table 2 'tbl_Tracking_Form2' has information on sessions 1,3 and 5. Table 3 'tbl_General_Info' has demographic information on all the individuals (those who will eventually attentd sessions 1,2,3,5,5 and 6). I need to create two reports. One (Report1) should display all the information on the individuals during session 2, 4 and 6 and another(Report2) that displays all the information on the i...

query question
I want to be able to run a query i guess to populate the additional information fields in the customer properties. I sell certain items that have warranties and serial numbers and would like the product name (or discription) to display on the first field the date of purchase on the second feild, and the serial # on the third field. I would like to be able to run this query i guess on a weekly bases and be able to run t for all of my past sales as well. Victor ...

web query query!
Hi All I've developed a worksheet that retrieves external data from a web page (stocks & shares info). At the moment I display the data at a certain cell in the worksheet so other cells in the sheet can calculate values of my shares. As I don't need the all the external data to be viewed (I only need one column of values), is there a way to extract the data I need from the web query without displaying it all in the worksheet? Thanks in advance Dave ...

MS Query: WHERE vs HAVING
When I use MS Query to bring data from an external source, Query usually translates my criteria into a HAVING statement, which results in my criteria being included in the GROUP BY statement -- which I do not want. I then have to manually change the HAVING to a WHERE, move the criteria up above the GROUP BY and edit the GROUP BY. I don't like to be bothered to do this, and have trouble explaining this technique to others. Is there a way to make MS Query default to WHERE instead of HAVING? Is there a way to influence which method is used for a particulary query? Thank you. ...

Is there a way to turn off the prompts of a make table query?
I merely want to update the table to be used as an export to Excel using TransferSpreadsheet. Each time it prompts for deleting old records and adding new records. Is there a was to turn off the prompts? Bottom line - I want to create an Macro to export the output of a query to an Excel spreadsheet. BobC, DoCmd.SetWarnings False 'Off Your TransferSpreadsheet line here DoCmd.SetWarnings True 'On -- Gina Whipp "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm "...

what is query
I have two table. Table1 : ID# name_of_staff Table2 : File_No (Auto number) Document_Name Forwarded_To The above two table have to connect together. This is a filing system for my day today papers which is each one is going to files after process. I will put File_No as I get from the secnd table on the respective papers to file. What is data type of ID# and File_No Kutty Unless the two tables have a common field they share, how will Access know which records belong together? I'm not seeing a shared field ... ...

Clear form after append query
Good day all, I have a question and I'm sure there is a way to do this but can't find any examples on how. What I have is a form controlled by a table tblwaitinglist. I have a an append query that appends the records to a tblinitialdata. What I would like to do id once the append query runs, the record is deleted from the tblwaitinglist. So after I hit the append button, the query runs record appends and the form clears. I hope this makes sense and any help would be greatly appreciated. VR, Red -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com You say that you execute an Ap...

Insert Into query statement error between tables within same DB,Up
Use following in a query to run, get syntax error for Insert Into statement: INSERT INTO Kopia av Kontakter [(Efternamn[, Förnamn[, Företag[, Kategori[, Språk[, E-postadress[, Telefon-arbete[, Telefon2[, Faxnummer[, Mobiltelefon[, Telefon-hem[, Godk epost reklam]]]]]]]]]]])] SELECT [Reinholds-Kontakter-Test].Efternamn, [Reinholds-Kontakter-Test].Förnamn, [Reinholds-Kontakter-Test].Företag, [Reinholds-Kontakter-Test].Kategori, [Reinholds-Kontakter-Test].Språk, [Reinholds-Kontakter-Test].[E-postadress], [Reinholds-Kontakter-Test].[Telefon-arbete], ...

Xpath query #5
Given following XML: <RESPONSE> <DATA REQUEST_ID=3D"465466189C701F41E040007F01004D25E6B23D14793EB72753CE2387F85A5= 7E5"> <ENTITY name=3D"Q_ARI_KLS"> <ATTRIBUTE name=3D"ID" value=3D"10000307968" /> <ATTRIBUTE name=3D"NOSAUKUMS" value=3D"ABAB=C4=BBEVA" /> </ENTITY> <ENTITY name=3D"Q_ARI_KLS"> <ATTRIBUTE name=3D"ID" value=3D"10000323423" /> <ATTRIBUTE name=3D"NOSAUKUMS" value=3D"CITSKAUTKAS&qu...