Queries - how to search on multiple fields

I have created an Access database (2003) that contains information about the
status of specific projects our office is working.  There is only one table
and the database contains the names of about 30 employees.  Each employee is
assigned specific work and required to input dates regarding the status of
each part of the overall process (there are about 5 pieces).  Is it possible
to create a query where I input the employee's name and a single date
criteria (i.e. between 6/13/07 and 6/20/07) and Access will search across
multiple fields to return the requested information?  For instance, I have
the following fields:  Announcement Open date, Announcement closing date,
Certificate issued date, Certificate closed date, Selection made date,
Selection returned date, and Returned action date.  These are not set up as
required fields so it is possible some will be blank.  However, since the
information in the database is for the entire year, I would like to be able
to just limit the information to a specific week of the year.  Essentially,
the idea is to be able to see what the employee has been working on for any
specific week and where they are on the specific action.  Any help anyone can
provide would be MUCH appreciated.

Based on the description you provided, I'll guess that this set of data
started out as a ... spreadsheet!  Using repeating fields as you've
described is pretty much the only way to do it in Excel, but Access is a
relational database.  You won't get the power of Access' features and
functions if you feed it 'sheet data.

Before you go any further, I strongly recommend you look into
"normalization".  Or, if Access is only of value in this situation as a
'bigger spreadsheet', consider using a spreadsheet instead.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"Access Novice" <Access Novice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have created an Access database (2003) that contains information about
>the
> status of specific projects our office is working.  There is only one
> table
> and the database contains the names of about 30 employees.  Each employee
> is
> assigned specific work and required to input dates regarding the status of
> each part of the overall process (there are about 5 pieces).  Is it
> possible
> to create a query where I input the employee's name and a single date
> criteria (i.e. between 6/13/07 and 6/20/07) and Access will search across
> multiple fields to return the requested information?  For instance, I have
> the following fields:  Announcement Open date, Announcement closing date,
> Certificate issued date, Certificate closed date, Selection made date,
> Selection returned date, and Returned action date.  These are not set up
> as
> required fields so it is possible some will be blank.  However, since the
> information in the database is for the entire year, I would like to be
> able
> to just limit the information to a specific week of the year.
> Essentially,
> the idea is to be able to see what the employee has been working on for
> any
> specific week and where they are on the specific action.  Any help anyone
> can
> provide would be MUCH appreciated.

0
Jeff
7/17/2007 5:38:18 PM
Your table structure needs to be revised to this --
EmpID - integer - foreign key from Employee table
ProjID - text or integer - foreign key from Project table
Action - text or integer - foreign key from Activity table
ActionDate - DateTime
Hours - single - record time spent

With this structure your can do your search easy.  Also you can roll up how
much time was expended on each activity and how many days end-to-end for each
activity.  It allows any number of correlations.

You can use a union query to build the new table.  Have a append query that
pulls from the union query to fill the new structure.
SELECT [Announcement Open date] AS ActionDate, "Announcement Open" AS
[Action], EmpID, ProjID, Hours
FROM YOUR_TABLE
UNION ALL SELECT [Announcement closing date] AS ActionDate, "Announcement
Closing" AS [Action], EmpID, ProjID, Hours
FROM YOUR_TABLE
UNION ALL SELECT [Certificate issued date] AS ActionDate, "Certificate
issued" AS [Action], EmpID, ProjID, Hours
FROM YOUR_TABLE
UNION ALL SELECT [Certificate closed date] AS ActionDate, "Certificate
closed" AS [Action], EmpID, ProjID, Hours
FROM YOUR_TABLE
UNION ALL SELECT [Selection made date] AS ActionDate, "Selection made" AS
[Action], EmpID, ProjID, Hours
FROM YOUR_TABLE
UNION ALL SELECT [Selection returned date]  AS ActionDate, "Selection
returned" AS [Action], EmpID, ProjID, Hours
FROM YOUR_TABLE
UNION ALL SELECT [Returned action date] AS ActionDate, "Returned action" AS
[Action], EmpID, ProjID, Hours
FROM YOUR_TABLE;

--
KARL DEWEY
Build a little - Test a little

"Access Novice" wrote:

> I have created an Access database (2003) that contains information about the
> status of specific projects our office is working.  There is only one table
> and the database contains the names of about 30 employees.  Each employee is
> assigned specific work and required to input dates regarding the status of
> each part of the overall process (there are about 5 pieces).  Is it possible
> to create a query where I input the employee's name and a single date
> criteria (i.e. between 6/13/07 and 6/20/07) and Access will search across
> multiple fields to return the requested information?  For instance, I have
> the following fields:  Announcement Open date, Announcement closing date,
> Certificate issued date, Certificate closed date, Selection made date,
> Selection returned date, and Returned action date.  These are not set up as
> required fields so it is possible some will be blank.  However, since the
> information in the database is for the entire year, I would like to be able
> to just limit the information to a specific week of the year.  Essentially,
> the idea is to be able to see what the employee has been working on for any
> specific week and where they are on the specific action.  Any help anyone can
> provide would be MUCH appreciated.
Thank you for the assistance.  It sounds great but I am not comprehending
this very well.  I am very new to the Access program and I created a VERY
basic database.  I think this is a bit over my head.

I only have one table (Title: Workload Stats) that all of this information
is plugged into.  I guess from my basic understanding, a union query is
supposed to join two tables, correct?  From your suggestion, I understand you
to indicate I need to create three separate tables.  I have created another
table Employees but that was only to use as a dropdown option in the Workload
stats form.  I also created many single queries that search for the
information I am looking for but they are specific to a stage - is it
possible to combine those into a union query and then proceed as you
suggested?

Thanks!

"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

> [...]
> > criteria (i.e. between 6/13/07 and 6/20/07) and Access will search across
> > multiple fields to return the requested information?  For instance, I have
> > the following fields:  Announcement Open date, Announcement closing date,
> > Certificate issued date, Certificate closed date, Selection made date,
> > Selection returned date, and Returned action date.  These are not set up as
> > required fields so it is possible some will be blank.  However, since the
> > information in the database is for the entire year, I would like to be able
> > to just limit the information to a specific week of the year.  Essentially,
> > the idea is to be able to see what the employee has been working on for any
> > specific week and where they are on the specific action.  Any help anyone can
> > provide would be MUCH appreciated.
>>I only have one table (Title: Workload Stats) that all of this information
Your table is laid out like a spreadsheet (Excel) instead of a relational
database that Access is.
>>I guess from my basic understanding, a union query is supposed to join two tables, correct?
The union query I post calls the same table for each occurance date field
you have in your spreadsheet to build a record for each.
>>I understand you to indicate I need to create three separate tables.
Actually four but you can use less.  You do not have to have project or
action tables.  By using them in a one-to-many relationship all entries for
project or action are exactly one spelling to eliminate errors.   You can
also use the field evaluation in the table to accomplish the same thing.
With the tables you can use them use as a dropdown option in the data entry
forms.

--
KARL DEWEY
Build a little - Test a little

"Access Novice" wrote:

> [...]
> > > to create a query where I input the employee's name and a single date
> > > criteria (i.e. between 6/13/07 and 6/20/07) and Access will search across
> > > multiple fields to return the requested information?  For instance, I have
> > > the following fields:  Announcement Open date, Announcement closing date,
> > > Certificate issued date, Certificate closed date, Selection made date,
> > > Selection returned date, and Returned action date.  These are not set up as
> > > required fields so it is possible some will be blank.  However, since the
> > > information in the database is for the entire year, I would like to be able
> > > to just limit the information to a specific week of the year.  Essentially,
> > > the idea is to be able to see what the employee has been working on for any
> > > specific week and where they are on the specific action.  Any help anyone can

How to query a dupe.
I have a table with Product_ID and Part_Number I want to find which (if any) Part_Number's have more then 1 Product_ID assigned. I was thinking I could manage this with a relatively simple query but I have had no success. Any suggestions? SELECT product_ID FROM tableName GROUP BY product_ID HAVING COUNT(*) >1 Hoping it may help, Vanderghast, Access MVP "Merlin" <Robert.Cordani@us.schneider-electric.com> wrote in message news:1195070034.168282.273960@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com... >I have a table with Product_ID and Part_Number > > I want to find which...

Offset Formula Query
I am using an offset formula to bring back data. I am trying to bring back the cell next to the one that has a label that matches the file name e.g. the file name is Place and then column a contains a list of places and column b contains text about those places. I am using the following formula: =OFFSET(Data!A15,MATCH(MID(CELL("filename"),SEARCH("[",CELL("filename"))+1, SEARCH("]",CELL("filename"))-SEARCH("[",CELL("filename"))-5),Data!$A$15:Data!$A$37,0),1) Where Data! refers to the sheet which contains the data and t...

run two queries from one click?
This has to be easier than I'm making it. I have a form with these fields: TaskID - number Task Description - text Month Completed - text list pulled from a query Year Completed - text list pulled from a query Category - text list pulled from a query, can be more than one category per task Task Description - memo Now what I want to do is... insert TaskID, Description, Month Completed, Year Completed and Description in one table AND insert TaskID and each Category into another table with a single button click to make it easy for users. As stated above, there can be more than one cate...

query problem 05-09-07
Hi, I have two tables. One for employees Info, the other one for employees completed tasks. In employee’s info table, employee ID is primary key while in employee completed tasks table the employee ID is foreign key. Moreover, in the employee completed tasks table there are more than one tasks for one employee. I made a query for showing all employee‘s info and task. The problem is when I run the query, only those who have a record in the employee tasks table just show, while who do not have record do not appear. I need to sum the completed tasks even if there is no data. Any help pleas...

Parameter Query using date ranges
I am creating a parameter query where I want to pull data between 2 dates. In the date criteria of my query, if I write between #01/01/2008# and #01/31/2008# +1, I will get all data for January. If I use a form to enter the dates and have Between [Forms]![autoexec]![start] And [Forms]![autoexec]![end] +1 in the date criteria, I get an error. Does anyone know what I should put in the criteria to make the query work? Are you entering your dates as m/d/y? What happens if you try: DateAdd("d", 1, [Forms]![autoexec]![end]) Is the form open? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access...

Excel and MS OS mix compat query...
Greetings. I have a 4MB spreadsheet with various formulas and macros. It opens fine under W2k and Office 2k as well as under XP and Office 2003. However, when trying to open it on a PC with Windows XP and Office 2000, it hangs. It tries to open, makes mention of the macros in a pop up window asking whether I would like to enable them or not and then errors out whether they are enabled or not. Here's the brief on the error: ERROR REPORT CONTENTS Window Exception Info. Code: oxc0000005 Flags: 0x000000008d0e99 Record: 0x0000000000000000 Address: 0x00000000308d0e99 Module 1 E...

Very limited number of lines for criteria in query designer
Hi ! I'm using MS Access 2003. I have a problem with the number of lines that I can use to specify criteria in the query designer. For my database there are at present only 9 lines available, but for other databases I have seen that many more lines can be available. How can I increase this number ? I could, of course, write a SQL statement instead of using the query designer, but I would prefer to enter a few key strokes to solve my problem. Thank you very much for your kind help ! Peter Current versions of JET handle up to 100 ANDs or ORs in the WHERE clause, but the query des...

Searching this newsgroup
This is a great resource and I appreciate all who post here. Is there a way to search this news group? What I meant was a better way than the search thing which I can't seem to get working, as I know I saw something about putting Logos on the receipts here somewhere. >-----Original Message----- >This is a great resource and I appreciate all who post >here. >Is there a way to search this news group? >. > You can use Outlook Express or another news reader to read and search this group. The newsgroup is microsoft.public.pos If you don't have a news server set up y...

i get a message too many fields defined on ACCESS
Trying to add columns, and it does not let me. What can I do Ibz�n wrote: > Trying to add columns, and it does not let me. > > What can I do I believe the limit is 255, but you may need to do a compact and repair (see top line menu) to free up previously deleted fields. If you are anywhere over about 30 or 40 fields, you likely need to revise your table design and "Normalize" it. -- Joseph Meehan Dia 's Muire duit ...

Search in contacts
Hello, I use Outlook 2007 on windows vista. I have a lot of contacts with a lot information written on the field "notes". When I search contacts it doesn't search in this field. How can I set outlook to search on it? Thanks Bruno. "Bruno" <b.gerosa@libero.it> wrote in message news:Omhh$%23AdIHA.4936@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hello, > I use Outlook 2007 on windows vista. > I have a lot of contacts with a lot information written on the field > "notes". > When I search contacts it doesn't search in this field. > How can I set out...

Copying Multiple Conditional Formats from One Workbook to another
Hi, I'm hoping there's an easier way to do this rather than manually retype 3 conditional formats per column x multiple columns :- Workbook A is identical to Workbook B in terms of column headings etc. Workbook B has no conditional formating, and needs to have the exactly the same conditional format by formaula as workbook A. Whats the quick way ? -- Rich http://www.richdavies.com/tomtom.htm http://www.richdavies.com/fantasy-football.htm Have you tried using the Format Painter icon? Pete On Nov 10, 1:01=A0pm, "richdaviesdot...@googlemail.com" <richdaviesdot...@go...

search on territories
I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if this is not possible. A case customer can be either an account or a contact. All contacts have a parent account. All accounts have a territory set. I want to do a search showing all active cases for a certain territory. It is simple to do it in two views, one for accounts using the accounts territory as a match and a second search using contact -> parent account -> territory as a match. I would however like to join these two searches into one view and the obvious way to do it would be to but an OR between the two criterias. Ho...

Get ordinary search back?
XPHome SP3 all up to date. Just found that the find files etc function has been replaced by Windows Search. I don't need to search very often, and I do not want another big index file on my laptop, so is there a way to get the old search function back? Cheers, S "Spamlet" <spam.morespam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:i4ef62$rip$1@news.eternal-september.org... > XPHome SP3 all up to date. > > Just found that the find files etc function has been replaced by Windows > Search. > I don't need to search very often, and I do no...

Unmatched Query -- Fields do not appear
I'm trying to construct an unmatched query and for some reason, suddenly when I get to the part of the wizard where it allows me to select the fields on which to do the compare, no fields appear. Perplexing. Any ideas? On Aug 1, 5:50 pm, pdlginter...@aol.com wrote: > I'm trying to construct an unmatched query and for some reason, > suddenly when I get to the part of the wizard where it allows me to > select the fields on which to do the compare, no fields appear. > Perplexing. Any ideas? Your wizard is screwed up. Do it by hand... it's just an outer join. Say you ha...

union query?
I have four tables that I need to query to use as the control source for a combo box. The combo box is cbLocations and the four tables and fields are: [tblCustomerDCs].[txtCustomerDCID].[txtCustomerName] [tblCustomerIDs].[txtCustomerID].[txtCustomerName] [tblFacilities].[txtFacilityID].[FacilityName] [tblSupplierIDs].[txtSupplierID].[txtSupplierName] I need to store the txtID values. All of the tables have a different number of records and may also have similar IDs. How in the world can I manage this? A union query seems the answer but I don't want to waste a bunch of time with that...

Time format in Query not updating to hh:nn Short Time
Hi, I run a query, including (in design view) right clicking and clicking properties and setting format as (tried both indivifually) hh:nn and Short time. However the query still gives time to me in AM/PM format, is there a way to write it into the SQL code, or am I doing something wrong? e.g. I want 14:20 not 2:20pm cheers Miki Time24: Format([TheTimeField], "hh:mm") Put something like the above in the field of a query. Make sure to change the field name. Also change the "Time24" to what you want the column's header to say. It can't be the sa...

Extracting invoice data from GP 9 using a SQL query (ODBC)
I'm working to extract invoice detail information from a client's GP 9 MSSQL database, with the goal of being able to mock up their invoices in external systems. Just to keep things interesting, they aren't using GP to it's maximum ability - quotes are generated from another software package, and when converted to a sale, minimal data is entered into GP and processed (such as shipping address, job name, job number, PO number, and occasionally a line it of what appears to be free-form text. I have hard copies of several invoices, various web resources, and access to t...

Getting the min value that matches multiple conditions?
My data table looks like this: A B C --------------------------------------------- 1 Region Gas Sales Price 2 US Air $35,000 3 Asia Nitrogen $50,000 4 US Air $38,000 5 US Nitrogen $39,000 6 US Air $40,000 7 US Air $55,000 8 Asia Air $51,000 9 Asia Nitrogen $52,000 etc... There are 1300 rows, not sorted. What formula can I use to get the minimum sales price for a particular combination of region and gas? Thanks jg7...

Is there a quick way of assigning multiple series to a bubble char
Each series requires a three-column block of cells, one each for X, Y, and bubble size. Select the block for the first series and create the chart. Select the block for the second series, copy it, select the chart, use Edit menu - Paste Special to add the data as a New Series, with categories in the first column. Repeat as needed. If the series share the X values, you can use this sequence of columns: X Y1 B1 Y2 B2 Y3 B3 where X is the column of shared X values, Yi is the column of Y values for the ith series, and Bi is the column of bubble sizes for the ith series. - Jon -----...

How do I fill different areas in a graph with multiple lines?
I have a graph with three separate lines that cross each other. I want to custom fill certain areas with different colors.....I don't think this is possible....or is it? ...

Outlook 2007 Instant Search not working.
I installed Outlook 2007 on Windows XP SP2. The instant search does not work and desktop search can find everything except email messages. I have rebuilt the index and uninstalled and reinstalled Window Desktop Search 3.0. Any other ideas on how to fix this? I fixed mine by doing two things, not scientific, doing only one may have worked. I unchecked Outlook Express. (Maybe it only likes one email client) (It search OE fine by the way) I ran the repair option for Office 2007 in add remove programs. (I installed search after Outlook prompted me on its first use, maybe Search should be...

search with multi values and get resaults order
I work with access 2003 i used the select queries for exampels select * from tbl where a=val1 or a=val2 or a=val3 i want to get the resalus with this order * select all values(val1 and val2 and val3) * select 2 value of the 3 ([val1 and val2] or [val1 and val3] or [val2 and val3] * select 1 of the value the most import is the order of the resualts (its work like Google search) B/R Yu To get the count of each result: SELECT Table1.a, Count(Table1.ID) AS HowMany FROM Table1 WHERE Table1.a IN (val1, val2, val3) GROUP BY Table1.a; -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. P...

Powershell is not parsing a valid WinRM query correctly
One of my favorite "wellness" checks is to see what services are marked as autostart but not running. I've been recently exploring the capabilities of WS-Management or WSMan and am running into a problem I don't understand. Here are two methods I know of to do this using WSMan. Both work with the NT shell neither work with Powershell. The error I get is invalid command line. What I believe is happening is Powershell is breaking the parameter list into the following. Where as it should be associating arg name/value pair is a unit. Prior to bugging this ...

search folders with several criteria
OL 2007 Is there any way to set up a search folder to use more then one criteria? I want: All the emails from dave or with "test" in the subject Alex use the query builder. http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/toolbox/batched_mail.html - works also in 2007 -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook ...

Multiple Bar Charts from 1 Worksheet
I have a worksheet where the columns are the years and the rows represent a percentage by school district and content area (e.g. Math, reading, etc.) I want to have 1 bar chart per row, showing each year as a separate bar. I can easily do this for 1 row at a time; however, the worksheet has 189 rows in it. In reading some of the other posts here, I think this can be done, and it uses VBA code, but I'm not sure of what that code would look like. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jeff On Jul 5, 12:43=A0am, Jeffrey Marks <jeffrma...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a worksheet ...