Problem with Null value elimintation criteria

Access 2007 on Vista.

I'm building a simple append query to add missing records to a table. It
examines a list of entries, identifies which are not in the destination
table, and adds them. Simple thus far.

The problem comes when I add a criteria to the source side to ensure no
blank entries are appended.

Here's the SQL I'm trying to use:

    INSERT INTO tblAgents ( AgentID, AgentName )
    SELECT qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID, First(qryAgentsImport.RecAgentName)
AS FirstOfRecAgentName
    FROM tblAgents RIGHT JOIN qryAgentsImport ON tblAgents.AgentID =
qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID
    GROUP BY qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID, tblAgents.AgentID
    HAVING (((qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID) Is Not Null) AND
((tblAgents.AgentID) Is Null));

The error message I receive is, "You are trying to execute a query that does
not include the expression 'Not qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID Is Null And
tblAgents.AgentID Is Null' as part of an aggregate function.

Interestingly, it doesn't seem to matter what criteria or field I add.
Anything specifying limiting criteria on the source table seems to give me
the same error message (reworded to match each criterion).

I'm sure this is something minor, but I'm a bit rusty.

Here's the simpler SQL (not eliminating entries where RecAgentID is Null)
that works fine:

    INSERT INTO tblAgents ( AgentID, AgentName )
    SELECT qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID, First(qryAgentsImport.RecAgentName)
AS FirstOfRecAgentName
    FROM tblAgents RIGHT JOIN qryAgentsImport ON tblAgents.AgentID =
qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID
    GROUP BY qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID, tblAgents.AgentID
    HAVING (((tblAgents.AgentID) Is Null));

Backup your database --   Try this --
    INSERT INTO tblAgents ( AgentID, AgentName )
    SELECT qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID, qryAgentsImport.RecAgentName
    FROM tblAgents RIGHT JOIN qryAgentsImport ON tblAgents.AgentID =
qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID
    WHERE (qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID Is Not Null) AND
(tblAgents.AgentID Is Null);

--
Build a little, test a little.

"Gerry" wrote:

> Access 2007 on Vista.
>
> I'm building a simple append query to add missing records to a table. It
> examines a list of entries, identifies which are not in the destination
> table, and adds them. Simple thus far.
>
> The problem comes when I add a criteria to the source side to ensure no
> blank entries are appended.
>
> Here's the SQL I'm trying to use:
>
>     INSERT INTO tblAgents ( AgentID, AgentName )
>     SELECT qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID, First(qryAgentsImport.RecAgentName)
> AS FirstOfRecAgentName
>     FROM tblAgents RIGHT JOIN qryAgentsImport ON tblAgents.AgentID =
> qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID
>     GROUP BY qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID, tblAgents.AgentID
>     HAVING (((qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID) Is Not Null) AND
> ((tblAgents.AgentID) Is Null));
>
> The error message I receive is, "You are trying to execute a query that does
> not include the expression 'Not qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID Is Null And
> tblAgents.AgentID Is Null' as part of an aggregate function.
>
> Interestingly, it doesn't seem to matter what criteria or field I add.
> Anything specifying limiting criteria on the source table seems to give me
> the same error message (reworded to match each criterion).
>
> I'm sure this is something minor, but I'm a bit rusty.
>

> Here's the simpler SQL (not eliminating entries where RecAgentID is Null)
> that works fine:
>
>     INSERT INTO tblAgents ( AgentID, AgentName )
>     SELECT qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID, First(qryAgentsImport.RecAgentName)
> AS FirstOfRecAgentName
>     FROM tblAgents RIGHT JOIN qryAgentsImport ON tblAgents.AgentID =
> qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID
>     GROUP BY qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID, tblAgents.AgentID
>     HAVING (((tblAgents.AgentID) Is Null));
Try:

INSERT INTO tblAgents (AgentID, AgentName)
SELECT RecAgentID, RecAgentName
FROM qryAgentsImport
WHERE RecAgentID IS NOT NULL
AND NOT EXISTS
    (SELECT *
     FROM tblAgents
     WHERE tblAgents.AgentID = qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID);

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

Gerry wrote:
>Access 2007 on Vista.
>
>I'm building a simple append query to add missing records to a table. It
>examines a list of entries, identifies which are not in the destination
>table, and adds them. Simple thus far.
>
>The problem comes when I add a criteria to the source side to ensure no
>blank entries are appended.
>
>Here's the SQL I'm trying to use:
>
>    INSERT INTO tblAgents ( AgentID, AgentName )
>    SELECT qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID, First(qryAgentsImport.RecAgentName)
>AS FirstOfRecAgentName
>    FROM tblAgents RIGHT JOIN qryAgentsImport ON tblAgents.AgentID =
>qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID
>    GROUP BY qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID, tblAgents.AgentID
>    HAVING (((qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID) Is Not Null) AND
>((tblAgents.AgentID) Is Null));
>
>The error message I receive is, "You are trying to execute a query that does
>not include the expression 'Not qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID Is Null And
>tblAgents.AgentID Is Null' as part of an aggregate function.
>
>Interestingly, it doesn't seem to matter what criteria or field I add.
>Anything specifying limiting criteria on the source table seems to give me
>the same error message (reworded to match each criterion).
>
>I'm sure this is something minor, but I'm a bit rusty.
>
>Here's the simpler SQL (not eliminating entries where RecAgentID is Null)
>that works fine:
>
>    INSERT INTO tblAgents ( AgentID, AgentName )
>    SELECT qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID, First(qryAgentsImport.RecAgentName)
>AS FirstOfRecAgentName
>    FROM tblAgents RIGHT JOIN qryAgentsImport ON tblAgents.AgentID =
>qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID
>    GROUP BY qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID, tblAgents.AgentID
>    HAVING (((tblAgents.AgentID) Is Null));

KenSheridan

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Problem with Authentication

calendar problem

How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003?
How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003? That need some explaining. Excel genially goes use variables but rather uses cell references. Cells can be given names (such as x) but it is not required. Tell use more about what you wish to accomplish best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Givens" <Givens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4ACE70A4-D4EC-4B79-8552-B7BA11BE9B38@microsoft.com... > How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003? Put a 1 into any cell - let'...

Create a Variable from First 4-5 chars of a existing value ??
In a current table, the values in a particular field are all items like: MD45 Tuesday PM or TX341 Friday AM or FL12 Monday PM ...in other words...2 parts seperated by a space. The first part is always a State Abbrv. followed by either a 2 or 3 char. number. That first part will always be 4-5 characters long (or...everthing before the first Space). I'm needing to create a varible that is the First Part of the existing value.. ..in other words...the variable would need to be (from the above examples)... MD45 or TX341 or FL12 I'm kind of familiar with LEFT command. Would usin...

problem #4

95 and 97 problem

Changing format of number without changing the value
How do I add the % sign to a existing number without changing the value? Example: 1.68 should show 1.68% not 168? Select the cell & press Ctrl-1 Navigate to the Number tab Select Custom in the left hand panel In the Type edit box enter 0.00"%" Click on OK "sweetsue516" wrote: > How do I add the % sign to a existing number without changing the value? > Example: 1.68 should show 1.68% not 168? Sue, Percentage-formatted cells are based on 1 for 100%. It's only when you key in the percentage that it's converted, for example you key 1.68%, and it...

Date problem

sync problems

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Directory Replication Problem #2

Excel
Hi! I have an Excel sheet were I have a few formulas. When the sheet is empty of numbers the formula return the value #DIV/O! I would like to know how I can hide this text - it does not look neat. I want the formula to be there; but to show as empty. I have tried to use conditional formatting which does hide the formula - but it then also hides the result when I actually put numbers into the sheet. Kathrine, Norway Kathrine, Did you use a formula in CF, such as =ISERROR(A1) You could also change your formula to =IF(ISERROR(the_formula),"", the_formula) -- HTH RP (re...

Resource editor problems

Cell Format

Filter Table in Subform Control according to TextBox control value
Hi all, I have put Subform control on a Form1 and in Source Object of that Subform I selected Table1 from drop down list. I also got Text box control on Form1. In the first column of the Table1 which appearing in Subform I got Ticket No. What I need that when i type that Ticket No in Text box control the Table1 in Subform should get filter on that Ticket No row. Please can any friend can help More information about the tables would help. I will use tblMain as the name of the Record Source for Form1. Are tblMain and Table1 related? If so, on what field? Typically you would set t...

outlook web access redirect problem

Problem after sorting

Find & replace a value in an unknown cell location
Is there a function I can use to find a text string in a particular column - say in column (H) for string 'Mytotal' to be replaced by 'Subtotal' when the cell location of 'Mytotal' is unknown only the column is known? And also is there a function that can find a certain value in a column then delete the row below the found value? e.g in column (H) find 'Subtotal' then delete the row below the occurance of 'Subtotal'. Help is much appreciated with this one? You can use MATCH to find where "Mytotal" is located, assuming you know either th...