Need a query that does this...

Consider the following table:

ID        dateField        intFieldA        intFieldB        stringFieldA
stringFieldB

I want a query that will give me the row with MAX(dateField) grouped by ID.
If I say:

SELECT Max(dateField), ID
FROM table
GROUP BY ID;

Then that will give me each ID in the table and its maximum dateField.  I
want the entire ROW that contains this maximum dateField, and I want it for
each ID.  How do I write this query?

0
0to60

Do it in 2 seperate queries ( or in a union ).

Part 1 finds the max date and ID, part 2 links the date/ID back to the table
and pulls the row that matches those values.

"0to60" wrote:

> Consider the following table:
>
> ID        dateField        intFieldA        intFieldB        stringFieldA
> stringFieldB
>
> I want a query that will give me the row with MAX(dateField) grouped by ID.
> If I say:
>
> SELECT Max(dateField), ID
> FROM table
> GROUP BY ID;
>
> Then that will give me each ID in the table and its maximum dateField.  I
> want the entire ROW that contains this maximum dateField, and I want it for
> each ID.  How do I write this query?

SELECT table.ID, table.dateField, table.intFieldA,
table.intFieldB, table.stringFieldA, table.stringFieldB
FROM table
INNER JOIN
(SELECT Max(DateField), ID
FROM table
GROUP BY ID) AS Sub
ON table.ID = Sub.ID

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"0to60" <holeshot60@yahoo.nospam> wrote in message
> Consider the following table:
>
> ID        dateField        intFieldA        intFieldB        stringFieldA
> stringFieldB
>
> I want a query that will give me the row with MAX(dateField) grouped by
> ID. If I say:
>
> SELECT Max(dateField), ID
> FROM table
> GROUP BY ID;
>
> Then that will give me each ID in the table and its maximum dateField.  I
> want the entire ROW that contains this maximum dateField, and I want it
> for each ID.  How do I write this query?

0
Douglas

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Excel need help

How do I Excel formula =LEFT(A2,LEN(A2)-3) in an Access Query
I need to delete the last 12 characters (phone number) from a field that contains names and phone numbers. Lou Are you asking how to do this in MS Access? If so, take a look in Access HELP re: Mid() function and Len() function. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP -- Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does not constitute endorsement thereof. Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no guarantee as to suitability. ...

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

Query to update new fields in table
I added two fields to a table a date field and a Day field. The table already had approximately 40,000 records. Is there a query I can use that will add the date and day to the already existing data. I know moving forward I can get update with an append query. An Update query will update existing fields. Just choose the fields you want to update, and put the data in the row marked Update to, and you are good to go. CS wrote: > I added two fields to a table a date field and a Day field. The table > already had approximately 40,000 records. Is there a query I can use that >...

Lost formatting in Query
I have a query based off of a table, with a subdatasheet pulling from a separate table. I've been using this system for approximately 3 years with no problems. However, within the last few months, I've had a problem with the formatting being lost each morning. I'm constantly having to re-insert the subdatasheet and re-size all my columns that have gone back to the default width. I've never had this problem until recently. My solution so far has included a compact and repair, and to re-design the entire query from scratch. Neither have solved the problem. As another...

Need to test a mobo

how to bind an query to a gridview programmatically?
Hi, i want to bind programmatically the records of a select query to an existing gridview. I can get the records via dtreader, but i don't know how to get them into the gridview (which is created in the aspx file) Thanks Luc My attempt: connectionstr = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("myconn").ConnectionString.ToString() connection = New SqlConnection(connectionstr) comd = New SqlCommand() comd.Connection = connection comd.CommandText = "select field1 from table1" connection.Open() dtreader = comd.ExecuteReader If dtreader.HasRows Then...

Help needed

Need help on this....thanks

I need Help

need help badly

Need Help Despertly!

Plug in needed

Function "Workingdays" query error date
I am trying to calculate the number of days, excluding weekends, between two dates. I am using the "workingdays" VBA code. I have pasted the code in a module, naming it "mdlWorkingdays". The code is listed below along with a sample of the data. "mdlWorkingdays" Option Compare Database '*********** Code Start ************** Public Function Workingdays(Start_Date As Date, End_Date As Date) As Integer '.................................................................... ' Name: WorkingDays ' Inputs: StartDate As Date ' EndDate As Da...

Hide dupes in a query
I have a query that lists all customers that have ordered from us since a certain date. SELECT tblContactData.ChurchName, tblAddresses.DCreated, tblAddresses.Address1, tblAddresses.City, tblAddresses.State, tblAddresses.Zip, tblOrderHdr.ShipAddressID, Max(tblOrderHdr.OrderDate) AS MaxOfOrderDate, tblContactData.ContactID FROM ((tblContactData INNER JOIN tblAddresses ON tblContactData.ContactID = tblAddresses.aContactId) INNER JOIN tblStatus ON tblContactData.ConStatusID = tblStatus.StatusID) INNER JOIN tblOrderHdr ON tblContactData.ContactID = tblOrderHdr.oContactID GROUP BY...

Need to Hire Outlook 2003 Help

Need Help with Excel and Flagging Outcomes!
I’m using Excel 2007, and here is my question… I want to put a formula in cell C3 that looks at outcomes in cell B3. If the raw score outcome in cell B3 has the following values, I would like cell C3 to provide the following words: IF: THEN: B3=Blank C3=Blank B3= Greater than 0-1.9 C3=Definitely False B3=2.0-2.9 C3=Mostly False B3=3.0-3.9 C3=Don’t Know B3=4.0-4.9 C3=Mostly True B3= 5.0 or greater C3=Definitely True Thank you for your help! Hi This should do it: =IF(B3=0,"",IF(B3<2,"Definet...

Which setting do I need to adjust
I've noticed that when using my default browser IE 8 and I click on a link that is suppose to start a download, it doesn't. When I click on the same link in firefox the download starts like it should. Can anyone tell me what setting in IE 8 is preventing the download from starting? on the page it says "Downloading: 50fpct-Just4freeplanet.com.rar | 34.7 MB" but in IE 8 it isn't downloading. It also isn't asking me if I want to allow IE 8 to download the file like it sometimes does. Thanks Shep wrote: > I've noticed that when using my d...

I really need help. Need a formula. Need it yesterday.
I'm new to Excel formulas, and I need one that is well beyond me at this stage, but probably a piece of cake for an Excel Wizard. I have a modest staffing schedule on Excel that shows several teams of employees with staffing requirements that may change every thirty minutes, as does the number of employees available in each team. I have the spreadsheet linked to another that provides the total, overall staffing requirement for each half hour, so that the total staffing requirement for each half-hour automatically loads to my staffing schedule. Likewise with the total number of emp...