Multiple records in table to display single records

My table has 3 columns, A is account numbers, B is first name, C is last name.
If an account has 2 owners, the account number is listed twice in C1, like
this:
A     B        C
123  Hank  Jones
123  Ann    Jones
231  Mike   Smith
321  Jim    John

I want to query this table to display the names side by side if there is
more than one owner, so that my data appears like this:
A    B    C       D    E
123 Hal Jones Ann Jones
231 Tim Smith
321 Jim John

Help please!

Sorry, got the names mixed up!

"Hurrikane4" wrote:

> My table has 3 columns, A is account numbers, B is first name, C is last name.
> If an account has 2 owners, the account number is listed twice in C1, like
> this:
> A     B        C
> 123  Hal  Jones
> 123  Ann    Jones
> 231  Tim   Smith
> 321  Jim    John
>
> I want to query this table to display the names side by side if there is
> more than one owner, so that my data appears like this:
> A    B    C       D    E
> 123 Hal Jones Ann Jones
> 231 Tim Smith
> 321 Jim John
>
> Help please!
What is your maximum per account?  I know of one way without creating a temp
table and crosstab but it gets messy if lots of names per account.
In query design view put the table in the space above the grid as many time
as you have possible names per account.  Left join all from the first one on
account number.
You need to combine the First and Last names like this -- MyNames_1:
tblName.[B] & " " & tblName.[C] to form single field from them.

Use criteria like this --
  <>tblName_1.[B] & " " & tblName_1.[C] AND  <>tblName_2.[B] & " " &
tblName_2.[C] AND  <>tblName_3.[B] & " " & tblName_3.[C]

The above is for maximum of 4 names per account.  The second name like this --
MyNames_2:  tblName_1.[B] & " " & tblName_1.[C]

Use criteria like this --
  <>tblName.[B] & " " & tblName.[C] AND  <>tblName_2.[B] & " " &
tblName_2.[C] AND  <>tblName_3.[B] & " " & tblName_3.[C]

--
Build a little, test a little.

"Hurrikane4" wrote:

> My table has 3 columns, A is account numbers, B is first name, C is last name.
> If an account has 2 owners, the account number is listed twice in C1, like
> this:
> A     B        C
> 123  Hank  Jones
> 123  Ann    Jones
> 231  Mike   Smith
> 321  Jim    John
>
> I want to query this table to display the names side by side if there is
> more than one owner, so that my data appears like this:
> A    B    C       D    E
> 123 Hal Jones Ann Jones
> 231 Tim Smith
> 321 Jim John
>
> Help please!
If you don't need the values in separate columns then this function might
help http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16.

--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

"Hurrikane4" wrote:

> Sorry, got the names mixed up!
>
> "Hurrikane4" wrote:
>
> > My table has 3 columns, A is account numbers, B is first name, C is last name.
> > If an account has 2 owners, the account number is listed twice in C1, like
> > this:
> > A     B        C
> > 123  Hal  Jones
> > 123  Ann    Jones
> > 231  Tim   Smith
> > 321  Jim    John
> >
> > I want to query this table to display the names side by side if there is
> > more than one owner, so that my data appears like this:
> > A    B    C       D    E
> > 123 Hal Jones Ann Jones
> > 231 Tim Smith
> > 321 Jim John
> >
> > Help please!
Sorry for the delay, I was out a couple of days.
The maximum per account is 2 names.
I've tried using the code below but don't seem to have any success.
When I put the source table in design view, the name appears as "table1" and
when I put in the same table again, the name appears as "table1_1".
I prefer having the names in separate columns, so I'm testing this on just
the first name only.

"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

> What is your maximum per account?  I know of one way without creating a temp
> table and crosstab but it gets messy if lots of names per account.
> In query design view put the table in the space above the grid as many time
> as you have possible names per account.  Left join all from the first one on
> account number.
> You need to combine the First and Last names like this -- MyNames_1:
> tblName.[B] & " " & tblName.[C] to form single field from them.
>
> Use criteria like this --
>   <>tblName_1.[B] & " " & tblName_1.[C] AND  <>tblName_2.[B] & " " &
> tblName_2.[C] AND  <>tblName_3.[B] & " " & tblName_3.[C]
>
> The above is for maximum of 4 names per account.  The second name like this --
> MyNames_2:  tblName_1.[B] & " " & tblName_1.[C]
>
> Use criteria like this --
>   <>tblName.[B] & " " & tblName.[C] AND  <>tblName_2.[B] & " " &
> tblName_2.[C] AND  <>tblName_3.[B] & " " & tblName_3.[C]
>

> --
> Build a little, test a little.
>

> "Hurrikane4" wrote:
>
> > My table has 3 columns, A is account numbers, B is first name, C is last name.
> > If an account has 2 owners, the account number is listed twice in C1, like
> > this:
> > A     B        C
> > 123  Hank  Jones
> > 123  Ann    Jones
> > 231  Mike   Smith
> > 321  Jim    John
> >
> > I want to query this table to display the names side by side if there is
> > more than one owner, so that my data appears like this:
> > A    B    C       D    E
> > 123 Hal Jones Ann Jones
> > 231 Tim Smith
> > 321 Jim John
> >
> > Help please!
First, create a ranking query so you have names ranked within the account.
== qrnkHurrikane ======
SELECT tblHurrikane.AccountNumber,
 tblHurrikane.FirstName,
 tblHurrikane.LastName,
 Count(tblHurrikane.AccountNumber) AS Rank
FROM tblHurrikane AS tblHurrikane_1
  INNER JOIN tblHurrikane
  ON tblHurrikane_1.AccountNumber = tblHurrikane.AccountNumber
WHERE ((([tblhurrikane_1].[FirstName] & [tblhurrikane_1].[LastName])
  <=[tblhurrikane].[FirstName] & [tblhurrikane].[LastName]))
GROUP BY tblHurrikane.AccountNumber,
 tblHurrikane.FirstName,
 tblHurrikane.LastName;

Create a table [tblNums] with a single numeric field [num] and values
1,2,3,4,...

Then create a crosstab with SQL of:
TRANSFORM First(IIf([Num]=1,[FirstName],[LastName])) AS Expr2
SELECT qrnkHurrikane.AccountNumber
FROM qrnkHurrikane, tblNums
WHERE (((tblNums.Num) Between 1 And 2))
GROUP BY qrnkHurrikane.AccountNumber
PIVOT IIf([Num]=1,"fn","ln") & [Rank] In ("fn1","ln1","fn2","ln2");

Results should be
AccountNumber	fn1	ln1	fn2	ln2
123	Ann	Jones	Hank	Jones
231	Mike	Smith
321	Jim	John
--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

"Hurrikane4" wrote:

> Sorry for the delay, I was out a couple of days.
> The maximum per account is 2 names.
> I've tried using the code below but don't seem to have any success.
> When I put the source table in design view, the name appears as "table1" and
> when I put in the same table again, the name appears as "table1_1".
> I prefer having the names in separate columns, so I'm testing this on just
> the first name only.
>
> "KARL DEWEY" wrote:
>
> > What is your maximum per account?  I know of one way without creating a temp
> > table and crosstab but it gets messy if lots of names per account.
> > In query design view put the table in the space above the grid as many time
> > as you have possible names per account.  Left join all from the first one on
> > account number.
> > You need to combine the First and Last names like this -- MyNames_1:
> > tblName.[B] & " " & tblName.[C] to form single field from them.
> >
> > Use criteria like this --
> >   <>tblName_1.[B] & " " & tblName_1.[C] AND  <>tblName_2.[B] & " " &
> > tblName_2.[C] AND  <>tblName_3.[B] & " " & tblName_3.[C]
> >
> > The above is for maximum of 4 names per account.  The second name like this --
> > MyNames_2:  tblName_1.[B] & " " & tblName_1.[C]
> >
> > Use criteria like this --
> >   <>tblName.[B] & " " & tblName.[C] AND  <>tblName_2.[B] & " " &
> > tblName_2.[C] AND  <>tblName_3.[B] & " " & tblName_3.[C]
> >

> > --
> > Build a little, test a little.
> >

> > "Hurrikane4" wrote:
> >
> > > My table has 3 columns, A is account numbers, B is first name, C is last name.
> > > If an account has 2 owners, the account number is listed twice in C1, like
> > > this:
> > > A     B        C
> > > 123  Hank  Jones
> > > 123  Ann    Jones
> > > 231  Mike   Smith
> > > 321  Jim    John
> > >
> > > I want to query this table to display the names side by side if there is
> > > more than one owner, so that my data appears like this:
> > > A    B    C       D    E
> > > 123 Hal Jones Ann Jones
> > > 231 Tim Smith
> > > 321 Jim John
> > >
> > > Help please!
Mr. Hookom, that worked, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

"Duane Hookom" wrote:

> First, create a ranking query so you have names ranked within the account.
> == qrnkHurrikane ======
> SELECT tblHurrikane.AccountNumber,
>  tblHurrikane.FirstName,
>  tblHurrikane.LastName,
>  Count(tblHurrikane.AccountNumber) AS Rank
> FROM tblHurrikane AS tblHurrikane_1
>   INNER JOIN tblHurrikane
>   ON tblHurrikane_1.AccountNumber = tblHurrikane.AccountNumber
> WHERE ((([tblhurrikane_1].[FirstName] & [tblhurrikane_1].[LastName])
>   <=[tblhurrikane].[FirstName] & [tblhurrikane].[LastName]))
> GROUP BY tblHurrikane.AccountNumber,
>  tblHurrikane.FirstName,
>  tblHurrikane.LastName;
>
> Create a table [tblNums] with a single numeric field [num] and values
> 1,2,3,4,...
>
> Then create a crosstab with SQL of:
> TRANSFORM First(IIf([Num]=1,[FirstName],[LastName])) AS Expr2
> SELECT qrnkHurrikane.AccountNumber
> FROM qrnkHurrikane, tblNums
> WHERE (((tblNums.Num) Between 1 And 2))
> GROUP BY qrnkHurrikane.AccountNumber
> PIVOT IIf([Num]=1,"fn","ln") & [Rank] In ("fn1","ln1","fn2","ln2");
>
> Results should be
> AccountNumber	fn1	ln1	fn2	ln2
> 123	Ann	Jones	Hank	Jones
> 231	Mike	Smith
> 321	Jim	John
> --
> Duane Hookom
> Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Hurrikane4" wrote:
>
> > Sorry for the delay, I was out a couple of days.
> > The maximum per account is 2 names.
> > I've tried using the code below but don't seem to have any success.
> > When I put the source table in design view, the name appears as "table1" and
> > when I put in the same table again, the name appears as "table1_1".
> > I prefer having the names in separate columns, so I'm testing this on just
> > the first name only.
> >
> > "KARL DEWEY" wrote:
> >
> > > What is your maximum per account?  I know of one way without creating a temp
> > > table and crosstab but it gets messy if lots of names per account.
> > > In query design view put the table in the space above the grid as many time
> > > as you have possible names per account.  Left join all from the first one on
> > > account number.
> > > You need to combine the First and Last names like this -- MyNames_1:
> > > tblName.[B] & " " & tblName.[C] to form single field from them.
> > >
> > > Use criteria like this --
> > >   <>tblName_1.[B] & " " & tblName_1.[C] AND  <>tblName_2.[B] & " " &
> > > tblName_2.[C] AND  <>tblName_3.[B] & " " & tblName_3.[C]
> > >
> > > The above is for maximum of 4 names per account.  The second name like this --
> > > MyNames_2:  tblName_1.[B] & " " & tblName_1.[C]
> > >
> > > Use criteria like this --
> > >   <>tblName.[B] & " " & tblName.[C] AND  <>tblName_2.[B] & " " &
> > > tblName_2.[C] AND  <>tblName_3.[B] & " " & tblName_3.[C]
> > >

> > > --
> > > Build a little, test a little.

Mr. Dewey,

I'm not sure what I was doing incorrectly, but I wasn't able to get this to
run.
Thank you for your assistance.

"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

> What is your maximum per account?  I know of one way without creating a temp
> table and crosstab but it gets messy if lots of names per account.
> In query design view put the table in the space above the grid as many time
> as you have possible names per account.  Left join all from the first one on
> account number.
> You need to combine the First and Last names like this -- MyNames_1:
> tblName.[B] & " " & tblName.[C] to form single field from them.
>
> Use criteria like this --
>   <>tblName_1.[B] & " " & tblName_1.[C] AND  <>tblName_2.[B] & " " &
> tblName_2.[C] AND  <>tblName_3.[B] & " " & tblName_3.[C]
>
> The above is for maximum of 4 names per account.  The second name like this --
> MyNames_2:  tblName_1.[B] & " " & tblName_1.[C]
>
> Use criteria like this --
>   <>tblName.[B] & " " & tblName.[C] AND  <>tblName_2.[B] & " " &
> tblName_2.[C] AND  <>tblName_3.[B] & " " & tblName_3.[C]
>

> --
> Build a little, test a little.
>

> "Hurrikane4" wrote:
>
> > My table has 3 columns, A is account numbers, B is first name, C is last name.
> > If an account has 2 owners, the account number is listed twice in C1, like
> > this:
> > A     B        C
> > 123  Hank  Jones
> > 123  Ann    Jones
> > 231  Mike   Smith
> > 321  Jim    John
> >
> > I want to query this table to display the names side by side if there is
> > more than one owner, so that my data appears like this:
> > A    B    C       D    E
> > 123 Hal Jones Ann Jones
> > 231 Tim Smith
> > 321 Jim John
> >
> > Help please!

Removing multiple hyperlinks

Create a list with multiple criteria

Display Missing Data Labels as N/A on a Chart
I am displaying values as the data labels in a chart but missing values are displayed as 0's. Is there a way to display them as N/A instead? ...

Charting multiple multiples

Attempting to display only certain records related to user criteria input
I have an Excel spreadsheet with 100 records. Each record contains columns of information with one of those columns being age. What would like to do is have the user fill in a cell at the top of the pag and then have only those records meeting that criteria be displayed. For example, "Show records where age exceeds ____". If the user input 34 in the blank, then only those records where the value in the ag column exceeds 34 would be displayed. If the user then changes thei input to 15, then only those records where the value in the age colum exceeds 15 would be displayed. At fi...

Link to CRM tables from external application
My client has a mission-critical application that was written in Microsoft Access sitting on a SQL Server database. It is basically a Quotation management system. The client wishes to install CRM and I'm investigating how to migrate the Customer data from their Quotation system to CRM. I'm pretty confident I can do this without too much trouble (having identified the relevant tables in CRM - AccountBase and ContactBase). However, I then want to link directly to the CRM tables from within the Access application. Normally I'd do this by setting up a DSN and using it to pull in l...

distributing data into multiple cells

Single click selects multiple cells

Sending to multiple addresses

Remember selections in Table Names Lookup window (Dex Runtime)
In Microsoft Dynamics GP, the user can view details on database tables in the Table Descriptions window (Tools>>Resource Descriptions>>Tables). If the user clicks the elipsis (...) button to the right of the table name, a lookup window opens. The user needs to choose both the product, series, and view by option that he or she is working with, and the list of tables will display. At least 10 times a day I go into this window, and oftentimes I don't select the table I really want first. That means I need to do a second lookup, select the product, series, and view by aga...

Exchange 2000 Distribution Lists

multiple selection

Changing color of a single gridline on a chart
I need to change the color of a single grid line on a chart. This is currently not allowed (at least I am not able to). When you change color all the grid lines take the same color. I need to change the color of a single grid line. Please help if you know the answer. You can't colour one gridline, but Jon Peltier has instructions for adding a horizontal line to a chart: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html#AddLine Anise Ahmed wrote: > I need to change the color of a single grid line on a > chart. This is currently not allowed (at least I am no...

Multiple domains #6

Combine multiple tables into one

CListView Single Item Height
Does anyone know if there is a way to independently set the heights of individual items within a list view in DETAILS mode? WM_MEASUREITEM seems to set a uniform height for every item within the view. I've searched this newsgroup and the web, and no one seems to have a definitive answer. Help would be much appreciated; I've been banging my head against the wall on this one today. Regards, Jason "Jason Crew" <jason.crew@crewandassociates.com> wrote in message news:#YX$P3C#DHA.3816@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if there is a way to independently se...

Finding Data in multiple worksheets
Using Excel 2000, how can I find data in multiple worksheets; example: any number between 200 & 299 in 32 worksheets? If you mean you want to find a single number across 32 worksheets, group your worksheets (click on the first, ctrl-click on subsequent (or even shift-click)). Then Edit|Find But I think I'd use Jan Karel Pieterse's FlexFind: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/ If you meant you wanted to find all 100 numbers (200-299) in all 32 sheets, then I think I'd have a macro search for each number and report the results on a new worksheet. "mark@southwestconst.com&quo...

Last Record On A Continuous Form (Problem)...
Thanks in advance for reading this, and again for any help you can offer. I have a database where as the user does things, a table gets populated. Let's call it tblData. At some point in the work process, a form is called, frmProblem. This is a continuous form (with no subforms) that is bound to tblData. Using textboxes, it correctly displays the records from the table in a list. This part works fine. To keep the user from entering a new record at this point, the Allow Additions property of frmProblem is set to "No" in the property sheet. This also works fine, and the display o...

converting table to excel
How do I convert a word table to an excel spreadsheet! -Diana Hi Diana copy & paste generally works for me Cheers JulieD "Superstar!" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8c8c01c49678$3dcd8ea0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How do I convert a word table to an excel spreadsheet! > -Diana ...

show multiple values that add to total in bar graph
Is there a way to show multiple values in a single bar (in a bar graph) that add up to a total (example: 127, 129, 87, 85, 60, 126, 89 add up to 703)? I want a sigle bar that goes to 703 but breaks the single bar down into these segments (preferrably by color showing the smaller segment amounts within the color. HELP!!!! Thanks! Hi, Is that not what the stacked column chart does? Cheers Andy Green Goose 89 wrote: > Is there a way to show multiple values in a single bar (in a bar graph) that > add up to a total (example: 127, 129, 87, 85, 60, 126, 89 add up to 703)? I > want...