Multiple Information in Columns

I have mutliple information in my columns for Access 2003.

Here is an example of what I have

Report #     Worksheet Location     Text
3055                    A103                  XYZ COmpnay
3055                    A102                   1231 Walnut St
3055                    A104                     Newark
3055                    A105                     NJ
3056                    A103                   ABC Company
3056                    A102                     456 Fultondale Ave
3056                     A104                    Twin City
3056                     A105                     MS

I am trying to run a query and pull the information out so that it reads

Name      Address     City      State

When I try to run more than one at a time, I lose all of my records.
Eventually the goal is to put is all in a Report but I need to have the
information sepearted out before I can put it in a report.

What do i need to do?

Thanks,
Sally J

Sally

Just to clarify, you have a table that lists BOTH a worksheet location AND
the text in that location?  If so, why?  That seems redundant.

Based on the example you gave, your table is storing different facts in the
same field (e.g., Company Name, Delivery Address, City, State).  This may be
how you'd organize data in a spreadsheet, but it does not allow you to make
use of Access' relationally-oriented features and functions.

Consider checking into the topic of "normalization" before proceeding any
further...

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"Sally J" <SallyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have mutliple information in my columns for Access 2003.
>
> Here is an example of what I have
>
> Report #     Worksheet Location     Text
> 3055                    A103                  XYZ COmpnay
> 3055                    A102                   1231 Walnut St
> 3055                    A104                     Newark
> 3055                    A105                     NJ
> 3056                    A103                   ABC Company
> 3056                    A102                     456 Fultondale Ave
> 3056                     A104                    Twin City
> 3056                     A105                     MS
>
> I am trying to run a query and pull the information out so that it reads
>
> Name      Address     City      State
>
> When I try to run more than one at a time, I lose all of my records.
> Eventually the goal is to put is all in a Report but I need to have the
> information sepearted out before I can put it in a report.
>
> What do i need to do?
>
> Thanks,
> Sally J

0
Jeff
8/22/2007 6:13:20 PM
It was the way I received the information from another company. The worksheet
location is in regards to a report that I do. The information is vast and I
need to be able to make comparisions based off of the information which is
why I imported the information in to Access. Excel couldn't contain all of
the data points. Is there anything that I can do to fix this?

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> Sally
>
> Just to clarify, you have a table that lists BOTH a worksheet location AND
> the text in that location?  If so, why?  That seems redundant.
>
> Based on the example you gave, your table is storing different facts in the
> same field (e.g., Company Name, Delivery Address, City, State).  This may be
> how you'd organize data in a spreadsheet, but it does not allow you to make
> use of Access' relationally-oriented features and functions.
>
> Consider checking into the topic of "normalization" before proceeding any
> further...
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>

> "Sally J" <SallyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have mutliple information in my columns for Access 2003.
> >
> > Here is an example of what I have
> >
> > Report #     Worksheet Location     Text
> > 3055                    A103                  XYZ COmpnay
> > 3055                    A102                   1231 Walnut St
> > 3055                    A104                     Newark
> > 3055                    A105                     NJ
> > 3056                    A103                   ABC Company
> > 3056                    A102                     456 Fultondale Ave
> > 3056                     A104                    Twin City
> > 3056                     A105                     MS
> >
> > I am trying to run a query and pull the information out so that it reads
> >
> > Name      Address     City      State
> >
> > When I try to run more than one at a time, I lose all of my records.
> > Eventually the goal is to put is all in a Report but I need to have the
> > information sepearted out before I can put it in a report.
> >
> > What do i need to do?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sally J

It looks like you might be able to use the Concatenate code from Duane
Hookom.
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/OtherLibraries.asp#Hookom,Duane

I've added it to my code, but for the life of me, can't get it to work.
Maybe you'll have more luck.

Geoff

> It was the way I received the information from another company. The
> worksheet
> location is in regards to a report that I do. The information is vast and
> need to be able to make comparisions based off of the information which is
> why I imported the information in to Access. Excel couldn't contain all of
> the data points. Is there anything that I can do to fix this?
>
> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>
>> Sally
>>
>> Just to clarify, you have a table that lists BOTH a worksheet location
>> AND
>> the text in that location?  If so, why?  That seems redundant.
>>
>> Based on the example you gave, your table is storing different facts in
>> the
>> same field (e.g., Company Name, Delivery Address, City, State).  This may
>> be
>> how you'd organize data in a spreadsheet, but it does not allow you to
>> make
>> use of Access' relationally-oriented features and functions.
>>
>> Consider checking into the topic of "normalization" before proceeding any
>> further...
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff Boyce
>> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>>

>> "Sally J" <SallyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have mutliple information in my columns for Access 2003.
>> >
>> > Here is an example of what I have
>> >
>> > Report #     Worksheet Location     Text
>> > 3055                    A103                  XYZ COmpnay
>> > 3055                    A102                   1231 Walnut St
>> > 3055                    A104                     Newark
>> > 3055                    A105                     NJ
>> > 3056                    A103                   ABC Company
>> > 3056                    A102                     456 Fultondale Ave
>> > 3056                     A104                    Twin City
>> > 3056                     A105                     MS
>> >
>> > I am trying to run a query and pull the information out so that it
>> > reads
>> >
>> > Name      Address     City      State
>> >
>> > When I try to run more than one at a time, I lose all of my records.
>> > Eventually the goal is to put is all in a Report but I need to have the
>> > information sepearted out before I can put it in a report.
>> >
>> > What do i need to do?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Sally J

0
Geoff
8/22/2007 7:02:46 PM
Try this changing the table name from Sally_J to your table name ---
SELECT Sally_J.[Report #], IIf([Sally_J].[Worksheet
Location]="A103",[Sally_J].[Text],Null) AS Company,
IIf([Sally_J_1].[Worksheet Location]="A102",[Sally_J_1].[Text],Null) AS
Street, IIf([Sally_J_2].[Worksheet Location]="A104",[Sally_J_2].[Text],Null)
AS City, IIf([Sally_J_3].[Worksheet Location]="A105",[Sally_J_3].[Text],Null)
AS State
FROM ((Sally_J LEFT JOIN Sally_J AS Sally_J_1 ON Sally_J.[Report #] =
Sally_J_1.[Report #]) LEFT JOIN Sally_J AS Sally_J_2 ON Sally_J.[Report #] =
Sally_J_2.[Report #]) LEFT JOIN Sally_J AS Sally_J_3 ON Sally_J.[Report #] =
Sally_J_3.[Report #]
GROUP BY Sally_J.[Report #], IIf([Sally_J].[Worksheet
Location]="A103",[Sally_J].[Text],Null), IIf([Sally_J_1].[Worksheet
Location]="A102",[Sally_J_1].[Text],Null), IIf([Sally_J_2].[Worksheet
Location]="A104",[Sally_J_2].[Text],Null), IIf([Sally_J_3].[Worksheet
Location]="A105",[Sally_J_3].[Text],Null)
HAVING (((IIf([Sally_J].[Worksheet Location]="A103",[Sally_J].[Text],Null))
Is Not Null) AND ((IIf([Sally_J_1].[Worksheet
Location]="A102",[Sally_J_1].[Text],Null)) Is Not Null) AND
((IIf([Sally_J_2].[Worksheet Location]="A104",[Sally_J_2].[Text],Null)) Is
Not Null) AND ((IIf([Sally_J_3].[Worksheet
Location]="A105",[Sally_J_3].[Text],Null)) Is Not Null));

--
KARL DEWEY
Build a little - Test a little

"Sally J" wrote:

> I have mutliple information in my columns for Access 2003.
>
> Here is an example of what I have
>
> Report #     Worksheet Location     Text
> 3055                    A103                  XYZ COmpnay
> 3055                    A102                   1231 Walnut St
> 3055                    A104                     Newark
> 3055                    A105                     NJ
> 3056                    A103                   ABC Company
> 3056                    A102                     456 Fultondale Ave
> 3056                     A104                    Twin City
> 3056                     A105                     MS
>
> I am trying to run a query and pull the information out so that it reads
>
> Name      Address     City      State
>
> When I try to run more than one at a time, I lose all of my records.
> Eventually the goal is to put is all in a Report but I need to have the
> information sepearted out before I can put it in a report.
>
> What do i need to do?
>
> Thanks,
> Sally J
One method would be to use correlated subqueries to get the individual
items.

SELECT DISTINCT [Report#],  Text as TheName
, (SELECT T2.Text FROM TheTable as T2 WHERE T2.[Report#] = T1.[Report#] and
T2.[WorkSheet Location] = "A102") as Street
, (SELECT T2.Text FROM TheTable as T2 WHERE T2.[Report#] = T1.[Report#] and
T2.[WorkSheet Location] = "A104") as City
, (SELECT T2.Text FROM TheTable as T2 WHERE T2.[Report#] = T1.[Report#] and
T2.[WorkSheet Location] = "A105") as State
FROM TheTable as T1
WHERE [WorkSheet Location] = "A103"

--
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007

"Sally J" <SallyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have mutliple information in my columns for Access 2003.
>
> Here is an example of what I have
>
> Report #     Worksheet Location     Text
> 3055                    A103                  XYZ COmpnay
> 3055                    A102                   1231 Walnut St
> 3055                    A104                     Newark
> 3055                    A105                     NJ
> 3056                    A103                   ABC Company
> 3056                    A102                     456 Fultondale Ave
> 3056                     A104                    Twin City
> 3056                     A105                     MS
>
> I am trying to run a query and pull the information out so that it reads
>
> Name      Address     City      State
>
> When I try to run more than one at a time, I lose all of my records.
> Eventually the goal is to put is all in a Report but I need to have the
> information sepearted out before I can put it in a report.
>
> What do i need to do?
>
> Thanks,
> Sally J

0
John

Removing multiple hyperlinks

Create a list with multiple criteria

Charting multiple multiples

How do I change the column headings in Excel?
I have a new computer at work and when I opened excel, i found the columns are labeled with numbers, just like the rows. This is very confusing. How do I change them back to letters like it should be? Go to Tools>Options>General and uncheck the R1C1 Reference Style checkbox. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "scmagnum" <scmagnum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9AC61354-D38F-44F5-BBC9-C25AEF3C6186@microsoft.com... > I have a new computer at work and when I opened excel, i found the columns > are labeled wi...

distributing data into multiple cells

Single click selects multiple cells

Sending to multiple addresses

Exchange 2000 Distribution Lists

multiple selection

How to give a string of data into different columns
Super expert, If I have cell containing a series of data like this .... 1,12,9 1,2,9 1,22,17,18 23,23,1,9 24,21,1 1,23,11 22,1 2,3 Is it possible to use function or command to split them into columns? 1 12 9 1 2 9 1 22 17 18 23 23 1 9 24 21 1 1 23 11 22 1 2 3 I don't want to use "TEXT TO COLUMN" as some of the addresses can be overwritten. Thanks so much, Regards, Elton Hi 'Elton Law' Try the below =TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE("," & $A$1& REPT(",",6),",", REPT(CHAR(32),255)),COLUMNS($B$1:...

move contents of a column
Hi, I have a spreadsheet that has customer info including email addresses. Is there a way to make a email (Outlook) distribution list using the email column or just be able to send emails to all the addresses listed in that column? TIA. You can email directly from Excel easily uisng code from Ron de Bruin's site. http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm Also his SendMail add-in is quite handy for the task described. If you wish to add the list to your Outlook address book see a method at this google search thread. http://snipurl.com/pssw Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On 5 Jan 2007 12:19...

Multiple domains #6

Combine multiple tables into one

Finding Data in multiple worksheets
Using Excel 2000, how can I find data in multiple worksheets; example: any number between 200 & 299 in 32 worksheets? If you mean you want to find a single number across 32 worksheets, group your worksheets (click on the first, ctrl-click on subsequent (or even shift-click)). Then Edit|Find But I think I'd use Jan Karel Pieterse's FlexFind: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/ If you meant you wanted to find all 100 numbers (200-299) in all 32 sheets, then I think I'd have a macro search for each number and report the results on a new worksheet. "mark@southwestconst.com&quo...

show multiple values that add to total in bar graph
Is there a way to show multiple values in a single bar (in a bar graph) that add up to a total (example: 127, 129, 87, 85, 60, 126, 89 add up to 703)? I want a sigle bar that goes to 703 but breaks the single bar down into these segments (preferrably by color showing the smaller segment amounts within the color. HELP!!!! Thanks! Hi, Is that not what the stacked column chart does? Cheers Andy Green Goose 89 wrote: > Is there a way to show multiple values in a single bar (in a bar graph) that > add up to a total (example: 127, 129, 87, 85, 60, 126, 89 add up to 703)? I > want...

Is it possible to use filtering in a row and in a column
I´m trying to make a solution were I may filter both in rows and in columns. For example: In Column D I´m using indata suchs as date of birth, education, name. Under the namn I will have a two other indata from competence level within a specific area. "Have" - "Wanted". It will be a great number of different competences. Example of excel:sheet 1 Under column A Row1 "Name" Row2 "Education" Row3 "Age" Row4 "Team" Row6 "Competence 1" Row7 "Competence 2" Row8 "Competence 3" Etc Under Column B...

IIF / OR
I want the OnPrint of a report to check three fields and run code if any ONE of the conditions is met: Iif ([MyTextOne]=1 OR [MyTextTwo]=2 OR [MyTextThree]=3) Then RunSomeCode Else RunOtherCode I thought of using Select Case and calling procedures as each condition is met: Select Case Me![MyTextOne] Case is = 1 Call Check2 Case else Stop End Select Check2 () Select Case Me![MyTextTwo] Case is = 2 Call Check3 Case else Stop End select Check3 () and so on......... It will work, but gets a bit too long as the test conditions increase. It gets just as long with nested select case or nest...

Localization with multiple string tables
The application has two string tables one for English and the other for Japanese. The IDs and Values are the same but only the captions are different. It seems that CString::LoadString does not load from the correct string table when i choose japanese from my regional settings on the control panel instead it loads english all the time. Is there any settings or configuration that i missed? Need ur help gurus >The application has two string tables one for English and the other >for Japanese. The IDs and Values are the same but only the captions >are different. It seems that CString::L...

Display information based on selection
Hi, I have a document with 4 worksheets. Three of the worksheets contain bill of materials (BoM) data.Each one has different number of rows. Additional rows are added/removed as needed from each of the BoMs. Forth sheet is for consolidation where I show totals as well as selection check boxes. What I would like to do is to display details of the BoM on this page if it's correcponding checkbox is checked. Thanks. For Example: Sheet A: Component Qty T.Price PC 1 1000 Monitor 2 500 Sheet B: Component Qty T.Price PC ...

Multiple Query questions
I'm trying to query a database of beach rentals and need a query with more than 2 bedrooms, that rents for less than 1,000. When i put both criteria in, it only registers one of them. I also need to create a query for the highest and lowest weekly rate but when I select Min or Max or doesn't show me anything. Show us the SQL. Open the query in design view. Next go to View, SQL View and copy and past it here. -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder. "Jackie" wrote: > I'm trying...