Multiple fields for same type of values

Hi, I hope this can be done.

I have a big data resource that has fields like this:

Student Name
Subject
Question1category
Question1subcategory
Question1response
Question2category
Question2subcategory
Question2response
.... up to 60 questions.

I'd like to create a query that looks simpler that I can really sort and
report on, like this:

Student Name
Subject
Question number
Questioncategory
Questionsubcategory
Questionresponse

Besides setting up 60 append queries (which wouldn't be dynamic), I'm not
sure how to do this.  Is there a way in Access 2007 to do this?

Thanks in advance.

I may have found the answer is a "union query".

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 17:56:01 -0700, RLyon <RLyon@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi, I hope this can be done.
>
>I have a big data resource that has fields like this:
>
>Student Name
>Subject
>Question1category
>Question1subcategory
>Question1response
>Question2category
>Question2subcategory
>Question2response
>... up to 60 questions.
>
>I'd like to create a query that looks simpler that I can really sort and
>report on, like this:
>
>Student Name
>Subject
>Question number
>Questioncategory
>Questionsubcategory
>Questionresponse
>
>Besides setting up 60 append queries (which wouldn't be dynamic), I'm not
>sure how to do this.  Is there a way in Access 2007 to do this?
>
>Thanks in advance.

You're going in a very good direction. A "NORMALIZING UNION QUERY" is the
ticket here. You need to go into the SQL window to create it; it will be
tedious but not difficult. The query would be something like

SELECT [Student Name], [Subject], 1 AS [Question Number], [Question1category]
AS Questioncategory, [Question1Subcategory] AS Subcategory,
[Question1Response] AS QuestionResponse
FROM yourtable
WHERE Question1category IS NOT NULL
UNION ALL
SELECT [Student Name], [Subject], 2, [Question2category],
[Question2subcategory], [Question2response]
FROM yourtable
WHERE Question2category IS NOT NULL
UNION ALL
<etc etc through all 60 subsets>

If you get the "Query Too Complex" error you may need to break this into two
or three subsets (questions 1-20, 21-40, 41-60 frex)
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
wrote:

>I may have found the answer is a "union query".

It'll work if you've paid your union dues on time. It helps if you're a
Democrat (Labour Party in some jurisdictions...) <bg>
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Yes it actually turns out to be quite simple if I create the first query
then go to the SQL window, because it already has the SELECT statement there.
 I added a UNION ALL, then copied and pasted it again, changed the 1's to
2's.  It was late and I didn't finish, so I'll finish it today.

If I do have to break it up, do I then write a second UNION query to put it
back together?

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 03:14:01 -0700, RLyon <RLyon@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Thanks so much for the response.
>
>Yes it actually turns out to be quite simple if I create the first query
>then go to the SQL window, because it already has the SELECT statement there.
> I added a UNION ALL, then copied and pasted it again, changed the 1's to
>2's.  It was late and I didn't finish, so I'll finish it today.
>
>If I do have to break it up, do I then write a second UNION query to put it
>back together?

I'd be inclined to have a properly normalized target table, and then just run
one (or two or three if need be) Append queries based on your UNION queries to
populate it.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Removing multiple hyperlinks

Create a list with multiple criteria

Charting multiple multiples

Make Excel's "grab and drag" behave like cut and paste "values only" ?
Excel question. Is there an easy way to make Excel's "grab and drag" behave like cut and paste "values only" ? Scenario : One sheet has input data Another sheet has formula to display output data which uses the input data as its variables There is a close positional match of data on both sheets (e.g. data entered A1 on sheet 1 affects the results in A1 on sheet 2) What I would like to be able to use Excel's "grab and drag" (this is where you put the mouse cursor right on the edge of a highlighted block of data and drag it to another location...

distributing data into multiple cells

Suppressing Values in Autofilter Criteria List
Hello, I'm not a VBA guy, but I think what I'm trying to do can only get done with some lines of code. Any help would be appreciated. I've a fairly large data set that I'd like to be able to apply advanced filters to. I would like the source table for criteria to update automatically based on values from other criteria entered. For example: Column A could be Region. Column B could be job. Column C could be Salary Grade. I would like, should I choose East Region, for the list of possible jobs to be then updated automatically to exclude any jobs that are ...

Single click selects multiple cells

GPS Coordinates Field
Good day, Seems like default addresses have a longitude and latitude field within MSCRM 1.2. Unfortunately a float data type has been configured which does not allow for modification. The format of a coordinate would be something like Of course we could enter our own custom field but with MS Map Point being a future consideration we would like leverage from this by using captured data in the correct format... Depending on accuracy required we could have values such as Redmond being 47-40'27.32 The only allowable format wraps the numerical value entered into something in the fashion o...

Sending to multiple addresses

Exchange 2000 Distribution Lists

multiple selection

Some basic reporting fields
1. Daily Sales by register, the register number field was "filter value invalid" why is this when i am putting in the right register number? 2. How can i pull a daily sales but when i try to input a date in the date field, it is not giving me that particular date? It is saying that a numeric field is required. I put in it as 10/21/2005 and this is the format, so i do not understand why this is happening? 3. In the detail sales report, every item is listed even if that item is sold 10 times, it shows up 10 times, how can i get a summary of the detail sales. The summary sales rep...

Multiple domains #6

Combine multiple tables into one

Form Field/Function problem
I have 4 fields on my main form. The 4th field is controlled by a function. The function automatically adds the scores from the other 3 fields and puts the total score in the 4th field. All of that works great. The problem I'm having is that I need the color on that 4th field to change if any of the other 3 fields are below 60 points. I've tried adding some code that would change the color, under the 'After Update' and 'After Change' property field and I can't get it to work at all. Thank you in advance for any help! Place a procedure like this air co...

Accessing at runtime nested method's parameters values
Hi all, I have some C# code with nested method call and I would like during runtime to log on different level the values of method parameters (just like VS offers Debug-> Windows->Call Stack). Is it possible because StackTrace class does not seems to offer support of accessing parameters values, it support just paremeter types and names ? best regards, Milan. On 08-03-2010 12:43, Milan wrote: > I have some C# code with nested method call and I would like during runtime > to log on different level the values of method parameters (just like VS > offers Debu...

Scan a coupon value into RMS
Is there an add-on that will allow you to scan a coupon and decode the value of the coupon and enter it into RMS? Jay ------=_NextPart_0001_83041615 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Good morning Jay, Thank you for posting your coupon question. I have not heard of any add-ons that would do this; and would recommend that you enter this as a Product Suggestion: http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/Newsgroups/dgbrowser/en -us/wizard.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.pos&lang=en&cr=US&type=suggestion Todd Berger Microsoft Online Support Get ...

Finding Data in multiple worksheets
Using Excel 2000, how can I find data in multiple worksheets; example: any number between 200 & 299 in 32 worksheets? If you mean you want to find a single number across 32 worksheets, group your worksheets (click on the first, ctrl-click on subsequent (or even shift-click)). Then Edit|Find But I think I'd use Jan Karel Pieterse's FlexFind: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/ If you meant you wanted to find all 100 numbers (200-299) in all 32 sheets, then I think I'd have a macro search for each number and report the results on a new worksheet. "mark@southwestconst.com&quo...

show multiple values that add to total in bar graph
Is there a way to show multiple values in a single bar (in a bar graph) that add up to a total (example: 127, 129, 87, 85, 60, 126, 89 add up to 703)? I want a sigle bar that goes to 703 but breaks the single bar down into these segments (preferrably by color showing the smaller segment amounts within the color. HELP!!!! Thanks! Hi, Is that not what the stacked column chart does? Cheers Andy Green Goose 89 wrote: > Is there a way to show multiple values in a single bar (in a bar graph) that > add up to a total (example: 127, 129, 87, 85, 60, 126, 89 add up to 703)? I > want...

IIF / OR
I want the OnPrint of a report to check three fields and run code if any ONE of the conditions is met: Iif ([MyTextOne]=1 OR [MyTextTwo]=2 OR [MyTextThree]=3) Then RunSomeCode Else RunOtherCode I thought of using Select Case and calling procedures as each condition is met: Select Case Me![MyTextOne] Case is = 1 Call Check2 Case else Stop End Select Check2 () Select Case Me![MyTextTwo] Case is = 2 Call Check3 Case else Stop End select Check3 () and so on......... It will work, but gets a bit too long as the test conditions increase. It gets just as long with nested select case or nest...