Locking on Update Query

I have a database that keeps track of credit applications.  I am trying to
setup a 2 forms to pull up existing apps and edit them.  The application
data
table is linked to an SQL Server 2000 table.  I have 2 forms, one tied to
a macro which allows me to find the app I want to edit using several
criteria and sends the
details of the app I select to a temp table, then opens the edit form, which
is showing
only the app I want to edit.  This works fine.  However, when I make the
edits on
the edit form and press the save button, the query runs, tells me I am
updating 1 row,
then gives me the locking message asking me if I want to continue.  When I
say Yes,
the query finishes but the edit does not go thru.  I think the issue is with
the SQL
table.  How can I get around this locking issue? Sample code below.

UPDATE tbl_ID INNER JOIN tblCreditApplicationInput ON (tbl_ID.Outlet =
tblCreditApplicationInput.[Outlet #]) AND (tbl_ID.[Date Rcvd] =
tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Rcvd]) SET tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date
Rcvd] = tbl_Id.[Date Rcvd], tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Completed] =
tbl_Id.[Date Completed], tblCreditApplicationInput.Status = tbl_ID.Status,
tblCreditApplicationInput.[Outlet #] = tbl_Id.Outlet,
tblCreditApplicationInput.[Existing Outlet #] = tbl_Id.[Existing Outlet],
tblCreditApplicationInput.[Type of Request] = tbl_ID.[Type Of Request],
tblCreditApplicationInput.[Corporate Name] = tbl_ID.[Corporate Name]

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom

0
Tom

Does tbl_ID have a field that is type TimeStamp?
Does tbl_ID have a primary key?
Has the tblCreditApplicationInput record on the form been saved?  Until the
record has been saved, the displayed values of the controls on the form are
different than the values stored in the table.

--
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007

"Tom Brown" <thor177@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have a database that keeps track of credit applications.  I am trying to
> setup a 2 forms to pull up existing apps and edit them.  The application
> data
> table is linked to an SQL Server 2000 table.  I have 2 forms, one tied to
> a macro which allows me to find the app I want to edit using several
> criteria and sends the
> details of the app I select to a temp table, then opens the edit form,
> which is showing
> only the app I want to edit.  This works fine.  However, when I make the
> edits on
> the edit form and press the save button, the query runs, tells me I am
> updating 1 row,
> then gives me the locking message asking me if I want to continue.  When I
> say Yes,
> the query finishes but the edit does not go thru.  I think the issue is
> with the SQL
> table.  How can I get around this locking issue? Sample code below.
>
> UPDATE tbl_ID INNER JOIN tblCreditApplicationInput ON (tbl_ID.Outlet =
> tblCreditApplicationInput.[Outlet #]) AND (tbl_ID.[Date Rcvd] =
> tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Rcvd]) SET tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date
> Rcvd] = tbl_Id.[Date Rcvd], tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Completed] =
> tbl_Id.[Date Completed], tblCreditApplicationInput.Status = tbl_ID.Status,
> tblCreditApplicationInput.[Outlet #] = tbl_Id.Outlet,
> tblCreditApplicationInput.[Existing Outlet #] = tbl_Id.[Existing Outlet],
> tblCreditApplicationInput.[Type of Request] = tbl_ID.[Type Of Request],
> tblCreditApplicationInput.[Corporate Name] = tbl_ID.[Corporate Name]
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Tom

0
John
10/24/2007 3:35:04 PM
Thanks, John

I do have a Primary Key on tbl_ID, however, I do not have a field that
is type
TimeStamp.  Tbl_CreditApplicationInput is the table that is linked to
SQL
Server.  That is the table that I am trying to update using the update
query.
Tbl_ID and Tbl_CreditApplicationInput have identical columns and data
types.
The form for choosing the app to edit uses tbl_ID as its record
source.
When the app to edit is chosen, the query puts the data from that app
in the tbl_ID table.
I then open the edit form which pulls the data in tbl_ID into the edit
form
and allows the user to edit any field on the form, which when the
command button is pushed
activates the update query to update the tbl_CreditApplicationInput
table. tbl_Credit
ApplicationInput is not taking the edit, it is locked somehow.  I
don't know what you
mean by "is it saved."  The table has over 19000 applications in it,
and in testing I am
the only user.  Hope this helps.

On Oct 24, 11:35 am, "John Spencer" <spen...@chpdm.edu> wrote:
> Does tbl_ID have a field that is type TimeStamp?
> Does tbl_ID have a primary key?
> Has the tblCreditApplicationInput record on the form been saved?  Until the
> record has been saved, the displayed values of the controls on the form are
> different than the values stored in the table.
>
> UPDATE tbl_ID INNER JOIN tblCreditApplicationInput
> ON (tbl_ID.Outlet = tblCreditApplicationInput.[Outlet #])
> AND (tbl_ID.[Date Rcvd] = tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Rcvd])
> SET tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Rcvd] = tbl_Id.[Date Rcvd]
> , tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Completed] = tbl_Id.[Date Completed]
> , tblCreditApplicationInput.Status = tbl_ID.Status
> , tblCreditApplicationInput.[Outlet #] = tbl_Id.Outlet
> , tblCreditApplicationInput.[Existing Outlet #] = tbl_Id.[Existing Outlet]
> , tblCreditApplicationInput.[Type of Request] = tbl_ID.[Type Of Request]
> , tblCreditApplicationInput.[Corporate Name] = tbl_ID.[Corporate Name]
>
> --
> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
> Center for Health Program Development and Management
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
> .
>
> "Tom Brown" <thor...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

> >I have a database that keeps track of credit applications.  I am trying to
> > setup a 2 forms to pull up existing apps and edit them.  The application
> > data
> > table is linked to an SQL Server 2000 table.  I have 2 forms, one tied to
> > a macro which allows me to find the app I want to edit using several
> > criteria and sends the
> > details of the app I select to a temp table, then opens the edit form,
> > which is showing
> > only the app I want to edit.  This works fine.  However, when I make the
> > edits on
> > the edit form and press the save button, the query runs, tells me I am
> > updating 1 row,
> > then gives me the locking message asking me if I want to continue.  When I
> > say Yes,
> > the query finishes but the edit does not go thru.  I think the issue is
> > with the SQL
> > table.  How can I get around this locking issue? Sample code below.
>
> > UPDATE tbl_ID INNER JOIN tblCreditApplicationInput ON (tbl_ID.Outlet =
> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Outlet #]) AND (tbl_ID.[Date Rcvd] =
> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Rcvd]) SET tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date
> > Rcvd] = tbl_Id.[Date Rcvd], tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Completed] =
> > tbl_Id.[Date Completed], tblCreditApplicationInput.Status = tbl_ID.Status,
> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Outlet #] = tbl_Id.Outlet,
> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Existing Outlet #] = tbl_Id.[Existing Outlet],
> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Type of Request] = tbl_ID.[Type Of Request],
> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Corporate Name] = tbl_ID.[Corporate Name]
>
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> > Tom- Hide quoted text -

thor177
10/24/2007 5:31:58 PM
First my error.
I should have said does tbl_CreditApplicationInput have a timestamp field
and a primary key.  To update a linked table on an SQL Server using ODBC,
the SQL server table needs a timestamp field.  If you don't have the
timestamp field then I don't think you can update the record.

When the button is pushed on the form, you need to save the changes to the
record in tbl_ID.  The easiest way I know to do this is to use the line of
code

   If Me.Dirty = True Then Me.Dirty = False

That line checks to see if there are any unsaved changes to the record the
form is bound to.  If so, it forces the changes to be written to the table.

That said, I am guessing that you have a specific reason for not working
directly with the data on the SQL server using the linked table.

--

> [...]
>> > with the SQL
>> > table.  How can I get around this locking issue? Sample code below.
>>
>> > UPDATE tbl_ID INNER JOIN tblCreditApplicationInput ON (tbl_ID.Outlet =
>> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Outlet #]) AND (tbl_ID.[Date Rcvd] =
>> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Rcvd]) SET
>> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date
>> > Rcvd] = tbl_Id.[Date Rcvd], tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Completed]
>> > =
>> > tbl_Id.[Date Completed], tblCreditApplicationInput.Status =
>> > tbl_ID.Status,
>> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Outlet #] = tbl_Id.Outlet,
>> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Existing Outlet #] = tbl_Id.[Existing
>> > Outlet],
>> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Type of Request] = tbl_ID.[Type Of Request],
>> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Corporate Name] = tbl_ID.[Corporate Name]

John

Capture number of records updated?
We have several processes that we run on a daily or monthly basis that I am trying to automate. Each one has a series of delete, append, and/or update queries, sometimes as many as 15 per process. I am trying to find out if there is a way to suppress the query messages but still capture how many records each query impacted. I know how to run the queries from code, and how to turn off the warnings (DoCmd.SetWarnings False), but then I can't see how many records were deleted/appended/updated. I need to see these totals to spot check them and make sure there is not a problem. I ...

locking up
This might be more of a GDI question, but since I'm in MFC, I'll ask: Would BitBlt-ing to the screen repeatedly tend to lock up a program, after alt+tabbing to another application? If so, why? This seems to be happening to me, and I want to get to the bottom of the problem. What I have is either a fade loop or a screen-size redraw, both based on a timer and bitblt. Quite often, after I leave the program to go to another app, I cannot return and must "end task". "Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote in message news:%23YFL5Ks%23F...

Desktop Alert Locks Computer
Greetings, I am seeing a little quirk on some of my desktops. It only happens occasionally, but it happens to different models of PC. Not all the time, but once in awhile, I have users that complain of their PC freezing. The only remedy is to do a hard reboot. I have noticed in these instances, that the desktop mail alert ( the preview that pops up by the system clock when you get a new mail) is showing when it froze. If I go into Outlook and turn off the desktop alert, then the PC freezing stops. So, I know that the Desktop Alert is the cause of the problem. Has anyone else ever seen this? Th...

Data Definition Query
I have been given access to several SQL ODBC table containing CRM (customer relationship managment) data. I am wanting to use these tables to append key information to an existing table. I have linked the ODBC tables to the DB containing my existing data. I created an update query between a linked table and the original table and received the following error: "Operation must use an updateable query". I looked at the SQL tables and there is not a primary key for any of the SQL tables. I wrote the following data definition query for one of the tables, and tried to then run...

Automatic Update Interval
Does anybody know when the automatic update (for accounts) is programmed to occur during the day. I have it set to occur every 1 day. Typically I launch M05 every few days so the updates should occur automatically everytime. I have even left M05 running for a few hours just to see if it would update on it's own. Today as I write this it is 05/02/2005 and the last update occurred 04/29/2005. The program has been running for three hours now. No Update! As a side note: This is the second time I have installed M05, and the daily update appeared to work well for the first week, but aft...

Lock formula to cell
I want a formula to lock to a cell so that when I add or delete a column the formula will always remain with say column H I know if the sheet is Password protected this will prevent this happening but that is no use when I have to unprotect the sheet to delete a column. Anyone got thoughts on this? regards Pat Hi Pat without using VBA you can't achieve this Frank Pat wrote: > I want a formula to lock to a cell so that when I add or delete a > column the formula will always remain with say column H > > I know if the sheet is Password protected this will prevent this >...

Outllook2007 to open my Outlook2002 Win7 says files locked.
I'm following 2002 to 2007 instructions step by step. When I point Outlook to my ..pst file, I get access restriction messages. How do I make sure these files can be accessed by Outlook 2007? Thanks. Which exact steps are these? From your Outlook 2002 machine, copy the pst-file to your Outlook 2007 machine and place it in a convenient location such as My Documents\Outlook\ In Outlook 2007 you can then reconnect to the pst-file via; File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... For details see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm -- Robert Sparnaai...

Append Query 01-18-08
I am using Access 2000. I ran an append query to append a small table (12,624 records) to a big table (151,122 records) in the same database. I then got a message saying that 63 records will not be appended due to "key violations". I ran the query anyway, and examined the big table. All of the small table is included except the 63 records. I cannot figure out why these 63 records were not appended. I have been running this same append query at the end of every month, and it always appended all of the records in the small table in the past. I cannot detect what is different t...

Account updates not working
I have MS Money 2007 on a XPsp2 machine. My acount updates are no longer working on any of my eight accounts. I get the same error on all acount stating "Your account information is being updated, which may take a few minutes. If this message appears for more than five minutes, try again." I've tried again and again. The last successful update was on 4:14 at 9/23pm. Quotes, news, and exchange rates updates successfully. I have been successfully using MS Money for ten years. I have not changed anything recently and I have tried disabling my Trend Micro Internet Security wi...

locked excel File ??
Hi . I am working with my colleges with one Excel file in a shared file system. Sometime - when I open the file, there is the message "locked from College" - but he is definetly out of office and shut down his PC. We are using Excel 2003 + Excel 2007. What can I do?? THnks for help Susan ...

Query Result Incorrect
I have a query based on a membership table in which I need to pull out all the people who do not have an email address. When I design the query and put "is null" in the criteria field for email address, it still returns names with email addresses. How can I get this query to pull out only the members who do not have an email address? Well what do you have in the columns with no email address? You should have a null but its possible your code puts either an empty string or a space in there. Since an email address should contain an '@' character you could try WHE...

Locked out of database
Not sure what happened but get a message saying "database has been converted from a prior version of Access by using DAO compactdatabase and is now in a partially converted state." It says I should be able to import tables into a new data base but when I try this it just gives the same message about converting and the data base just doesn't open. Please help because lots at stake, have to do a report based on these tables so am waiting with anticipation!!!x Hi Pete, Usually this means you are opening an earlier version of Access in a new version. Make a copy of the data...

Updating a query criteria from a listbox
Hi, I've written a query that is dependent on a date selected from a listbox the result from the listbox is linked to the querie as follows: [forms]![Main Menu]![Date_Select] This works great when I clickthe button that loads the subform that uses the results from this querie... However when I select a different date in the listbox and click again the new date is not being passed down to the querie. I've tried everything I know and it just doesn't want to work... The listbox is linked to a table containing all the dates to be displayed - if that makes any difference. Any h...

Lock autoshape to fixed position
Hello, Does anybody know if it is possible to keep an autoshape to a fixed position. I have a worksheet that has two panes, one is frozen i.e. a fixed header and scrollable rows. On the bottom of the page I want to put a button bar made of shape buttons. The problem is that when I scroll, the buttons scroll too! It would be nices if I can keep them in position. I know that is is possible to add a second window, but that does not look so well... Any ideas? Multiple fixed panes would be a great option! Change the alignment option to be absolute. Picture properties > Layout tab > Advan...

Query problems 09-19-07
Hi guys, I got a problem for Access and SQL Server. I got a DB in Access which has two similiar tables linked from SQL Server. Both table has a field stored bitmaps with OLE. The two tables are exactly same except the data. When I use queries to display maps, one of them works all right but the other just freezing. If I use an other mdb file to store the maps. It works fine. What's the possible reason? I need your help! Cheers Daniel ...

Microsoft update patches
Anyone know why there isn't any or at least explain why when I scan my computer at Microsoft update site nothing shows up ? snooker416 wrote: > Anyone know why there isn't any or at least explain why when I scan > my computer at Microsoft update site nothing shows up ? Maybe you are up to date? Maybe you installed a beta release of a service pack, never uninstalled it and replaced it with the full version? You did not give enough information. Start button --> RUN --> type in: winver --> click OK. Come back and type - verbatim - what the picture at...

Money "lock-out" solution-thanks Kurt
Kurt Thanks for the idea. It worked. I unistalled money 2002 and the reinstalled using custom mode...up and running again! Thank -you What happens to all your data when you do that? Do you still have your data? I tried reinstalling, but no luck. I hate to uninstall, since I would lose all the data, right? Would appreciate info. Thanks, Alice >-----Original Message----- >Kurt > >Thanks for the idea. It worked. I unistalled money 2002 >and the reinstalled using custom mode...up and running >again! Thank -you >. > Your data is in a file *.mny. This is ind...

another query question
I want to apologize ahead of time for being a novice with MS Access and VBA. I desperately need help with 2 queries that I am trying to put together. I want to thank anyone that can help me out with this situation. I want to put a select query(Query1) that uses one table and the criteria would be [Enter the Event Number]. When an event number is entered it will give me the Event Number, Event Name, Event Date, Event time, and House Size. Next, I need to create a 2nd query(Query2) that pulls up the records from another table by the Event Number. Below are the tables and fields that I am u...

Updating multiple fields in one table via Update query
Hi, Have a table designed as follows equip1 text equip2 text equip3 text equip4 text equip5 text equip6 text equip7 text equip8 text equip9 text equip10 text What I need to do is to check each field and if the field is = "Tennessee" then update it to read "TN" Is there a way to do this in one update query vs having to write 10 different update queries? Thanks Jeffro wrote: > Hi, > Have a table designed as follows > > equip1 text > equip2 text >...

Allow more Outlook Task Fields to be updated with data from CRM
When creating a task in CRM, it is currently not possible to update Outlook Task Fields such as Billing Information, Mileage and Schedule+ Priority, which we currently have to do manually. MS should allow many more Outlook fields to be updated with data fields from CRM. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and t...

Form locking up
I've completed my own Linked Table Manager wizard, so that the connections I create to SQL Server and Oracle database on my network don't require a DSN (DSN-less connections). This wizard exists in its own mda file, which I have added as a reference in several of my databases. In my test database, this wizard runs great. I've got a command button that calls a function (fnRefreshLinks) that exists in the wizard. It opens a form, refreshes a list of the linked tables, tests the link, and provides me with some options. When I run this same function from another database, it...

Recipient Update Service (RUS) not updating
We are running Windows 2003 ent and Exchange 2003 ent on a Windows 2003 domain. RUS will not update a new Active Directory acct. even if I wait over 24 hours. It will update the acct. if a manually run RUS and the Recipient Policy. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem? Thanks for any and all help. Calyton RUS is set to "Always Run". Clayton "Clayton Sutton" <none@none.com> wrote in message news:OZb76nqRFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > We are running Windows 2003 ent and Exchange 2003 ent on a Windows 2003 > domain. RUS will not u...

Need help constructing Query.
I need to get the results showing below but get stuck. Any helps would greatly appreciate. IF OBJECT_ID('Tempdb.dbo.#t', 'u') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #t GO CREATE TABLE #t ( LoanId INT NULL, IsBidAccepted BIT NOT NULL, RRA VARCHAR(20) NULL, ConstStartdt DATETIME NULL, ConstEnddt DATETIME NULL, rk TINYINT ) GO INSERT #t SELECT 104825, 0, 'mjones', NULL, NULL, 1 UNION ALL SELECT 104825, 0, 'mjones', NULL, NULL, 2 UNION ALL SELECT 108335, 0, 'mjones', '10/19/20...

expression in query 10-30-07
Description Defects Bent 130 Split 130 Defective 29 Holes) 11 Pullback 9 Damaged 2 Slug Mark 2 General 1 General 1 I have a table where for various Description types I get sometimes for the Defects filed the same value. When I get the tie in the Defects field , I need to show one of the two values less 1. For instance, I show ā€œ130ā€ twice, I need to show 130 for Bent, and for Split should show 129.5 Iā€˜d like to use a formula in one of my queries to reflect the change. Can anyone help? Ra Try these queries --- Ra_Count --- SELECT Ra.Defects, Count(Ra.Defects) AS CountOfDefects...