Locking on Update Query

I have a database that keeps track of credit applications.  I am trying to
setup a 2 forms to pull up existing apps and edit them.  The application
data
table is linked to an SQL Server 2000 table.  I have 2 forms, one tied to
a macro which allows me to find the app I want to edit using several
criteria and sends the
details of the app I select to a temp table, then opens the edit form, which
is showing
only the app I want to edit.  This works fine.  However, when I make the
edits on
the edit form and press the save button, the query runs, tells me I am
updating 1 row,
then gives me the locking message asking me if I want to continue.  When I
say Yes,
the query finishes but the edit does not go thru.  I think the issue is with
the SQL
table.  How can I get around this locking issue? Sample code below.

UPDATE tbl_ID INNER JOIN tblCreditApplicationInput ON (tbl_ID.Outlet =
tblCreditApplicationInput.[Outlet #]) AND (tbl_ID.[Date Rcvd] =
tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Rcvd]) SET tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date
Rcvd] = tbl_Id.[Date Rcvd], tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Completed] =
tbl_Id.[Date Completed], tblCreditApplicationInput.Status = tbl_ID.Status,
tblCreditApplicationInput.[Outlet #] = tbl_Id.Outlet,
tblCreditApplicationInput.[Existing Outlet #] = tbl_Id.[Existing Outlet],
tblCreditApplicationInput.[Type of Request] = tbl_ID.[Type Of Request],
tblCreditApplicationInput.[Corporate Name] = tbl_ID.[Corporate Name]

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom

0
Tom

Does tbl_ID have a field that is type TimeStamp?
Does tbl_ID have a primary key?
Has the tblCreditApplicationInput record on the form been saved?  Until the
record has been saved, the displayed values of the controls on the form are
different than the values stored in the table.

--
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007

"Tom Brown" <thor177@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have a database that keeps track of credit applications.  I am trying to
> setup a 2 forms to pull up existing apps and edit them.  The application
> data
> table is linked to an SQL Server 2000 table.  I have 2 forms, one tied to
> a macro which allows me to find the app I want to edit using several
> criteria and sends the
> details of the app I select to a temp table, then opens the edit form,
> which is showing
> only the app I want to edit.  This works fine.  However, when I make the
> edits on
> the edit form and press the save button, the query runs, tells me I am
> updating 1 row,
> then gives me the locking message asking me if I want to continue.  When I
> say Yes,
> the query finishes but the edit does not go thru.  I think the issue is
> with the SQL
> table.  How can I get around this locking issue? Sample code below.
>
> UPDATE tbl_ID INNER JOIN tblCreditApplicationInput ON (tbl_ID.Outlet =
> tblCreditApplicationInput.[Outlet #]) AND (tbl_ID.[Date Rcvd] =
> tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Rcvd]) SET tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date
> Rcvd] = tbl_Id.[Date Rcvd], tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Completed] =
> tbl_Id.[Date Completed], tblCreditApplicationInput.Status = tbl_ID.Status,
> tblCreditApplicationInput.[Outlet #] = tbl_Id.Outlet,
> tblCreditApplicationInput.[Existing Outlet #] = tbl_Id.[Existing Outlet],
> tblCreditApplicationInput.[Type of Request] = tbl_ID.[Type Of Request],
> tblCreditApplicationInput.[Corporate Name] = tbl_ID.[Corporate Name]
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Tom

0
John
10/24/2007 3:35:04 PM
Thanks, John

I do have a Primary Key on tbl_ID, however, I do not have a field that
is type
TimeStamp.  Tbl_CreditApplicationInput is the table that is linked to
SQL
Server.  That is the table that I am trying to update using the update
query.
Tbl_ID and Tbl_CreditApplicationInput have identical columns and data
types.
The form for choosing the app to edit uses tbl_ID as its record
source.
When the app to edit is chosen, the query puts the data from that app
in the tbl_ID table.
I then open the edit form which pulls the data in tbl_ID into the edit
form
and allows the user to edit any field on the form, which when the
command button is pushed
activates the update query to update the tbl_CreditApplicationInput
table. tbl_Credit
ApplicationInput is not taking the edit, it is locked somehow.  I
don't know what you
mean by "is it saved."  The table has over 19000 applications in it,
and in testing I am
the only user.  Hope this helps.

On Oct 24, 11:35 am, "John Spencer" <spen...@chpdm.edu> wrote:
> Does tbl_ID have a field that is type TimeStamp?
> Does tbl_ID have a primary key?
> Has the tblCreditApplicationInput record on the form been saved?  Until the
> record has been saved, the displayed values of the controls on the form are
> different than the values stored in the table.
>
> UPDATE tbl_ID INNER JOIN tblCreditApplicationInput
> ON (tbl_ID.Outlet = tblCreditApplicationInput.[Outlet #])
> AND (tbl_ID.[Date Rcvd] = tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Rcvd])
> SET tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Rcvd] = tbl_Id.[Date Rcvd]
> , tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Completed] = tbl_Id.[Date Completed]
> , tblCreditApplicationInput.Status = tbl_ID.Status
> , tblCreditApplicationInput.[Outlet #] = tbl_Id.Outlet
> , tblCreditApplicationInput.[Existing Outlet #] = tbl_Id.[Existing Outlet]
> , tblCreditApplicationInput.[Type of Request] = tbl_ID.[Type Of Request]
> , tblCreditApplicationInput.[Corporate Name] = tbl_ID.[Corporate Name]
>
> --
> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
> Center for Health Program Development and Management
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
> .
>
> "Tom Brown" <thor...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

> >I have a database that keeps track of credit applications.  I am trying to
> > setup a 2 forms to pull up existing apps and edit them.  The application
> > data
> > table is linked to an SQL Server 2000 table.  I have 2 forms, one tied to
> > a macro which allows me to find the app I want to edit using several
> > criteria and sends the
> > details of the app I select to a temp table, then opens the edit form,
> > which is showing
> > only the app I want to edit.  This works fine.  However, when I make the
> > edits on
> > the edit form and press the save button, the query runs, tells me I am
> > updating 1 row,
> > then gives me the locking message asking me if I want to continue.  When I
> > say Yes,
> > the query finishes but the edit does not go thru.  I think the issue is
> > with the SQL
> > table.  How can I get around this locking issue? Sample code below.
>
> > UPDATE tbl_ID INNER JOIN tblCreditApplicationInput ON (tbl_ID.Outlet =
> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Outlet #]) AND (tbl_ID.[Date Rcvd] =
> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Rcvd]) SET tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date
> > Rcvd] = tbl_Id.[Date Rcvd], tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Completed] =
> > tbl_Id.[Date Completed], tblCreditApplicationInput.Status = tbl_ID.Status,
> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Outlet #] = tbl_Id.Outlet,
> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Existing Outlet #] = tbl_Id.[Existing Outlet],
> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Type of Request] = tbl_ID.[Type Of Request],
> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Corporate Name] = tbl_ID.[Corporate Name]
>
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> > Tom- Hide quoted text -

thor177
10/24/2007 5:31:58 PM
First my error.
I should have said does tbl_CreditApplicationInput have a timestamp field
and a primary key.  To update a linked table on an SQL Server using ODBC,
the SQL server table needs a timestamp field.  If you don't have the
timestamp field then I don't think you can update the record.

When the button is pushed on the form, you need to save the changes to the
record in tbl_ID.  The easiest way I know to do this is to use the line of
code

   If Me.Dirty = True Then Me.Dirty = False

That line checks to see if there are any unsaved changes to the record the
form is bound to.  If so, it forces the changes to be written to the table.

That said, I am guessing that you have a specific reason for not working
directly with the data on the SQL server using the linked table.

--

> [...]
>> > with the SQL
>> > table.  How can I get around this locking issue? Sample code below.
>>
>> > UPDATE tbl_ID INNER JOIN tblCreditApplicationInput ON (tbl_ID.Outlet =
>> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Outlet #]) AND (tbl_ID.[Date Rcvd] =
>> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Rcvd]) SET
>> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date
>> > Rcvd] = tbl_Id.[Date Rcvd], tblCreditApplicationInput.[Date Completed]
>> > =
>> > tbl_Id.[Date Completed], tblCreditApplicationInput.Status =
>> > tbl_ID.Status,
>> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Outlet #] = tbl_Id.Outlet,
>> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Existing Outlet #] = tbl_Id.[Existing
>> > Outlet],
>> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Type of Request] = tbl_ID.[Type Of Request],
>> > tblCreditApplicationInput.[Corporate Name] = tbl_ID.[Corporate Name]

John

Product Key Query #2
I have a mac office 2004 product with 3 product keys. What has happened is that i installed it, it read the product key and then nothing happened... so I wasted a whole product key. Can i get help so I can re-use it and also help with the installation. I have a macbook - white - 2.00GHz On 30/1/07 07:28, in article 1170142138.929014.146590@a34g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, "airplanes.simmons@gmail.com" <airplanes.simmons@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a mac office 2004 product with 3 product keys. What has > happened is that i installed it, it read the product key and ...

Custom LDAP/OPATH query to create custom address list?
I'm going to ask this again because it seems to be a big problem going to exchange 2007. How does one create a custom LDAP query to an external server to build a custom address list? It would be nice to be able to create custom address lists built on LDAP queries to Active Directory or OpenLDAP, etc. Can this be done? Only recipients in Active Directory can appear in Address Lists. You would have to import external recipients into AD as Contacts to be able to do this. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: exchangepedia.com/blog ------------------------...

query timing out. how do you stop this from happening?
What can be done to keep a querie from constantly timing out? Almost all my queries and functions are doing this lately as my database grows. Any advice on this is very much welcome. Thanks, MC -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200705/1 ...

Document ID Field Locked
Hi, I'm trying to use VBA to unlock the DocumentID field (TypeID on the Sales Transaction Entry window). Initially when entering a new order it is unlocked but when you navigate off this field it locks and cannot be changed. The people who installed GP are no longer here so I'm not sure if this is a customization or if all GP installations work this way. In any case, I'd like to unlock this field completely so that users can change the Type ID at any time in case they put in the wrong one. No matter what VB code I use and what event, the field stays locked after tabbing off...

Calendar Printing Assistant-won't update
Besides my own Outlook 2007 calendar, I am also the "owner" of a public calendar to which several others have editing privileges. I can add and change appointments to the public calendar, but when I go to print it, my updates are not there even though they are visible on my Outlook screen. What can I do to get CPA to print the updated appointments? My understanding is that CPA does not handle merged calendars very well. You may want to consider using a Outlook Calendar printing app called Wincalendar instead. It allows you to render your Outlook calendar in various...

.NET 3.5 update failed, error #0x8007064C
Windows update downloaded and failed to install updates for .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.5 initially. Found instructions to download cleanup tool, remove both 2.0 and 3.5 and manually reinstall them. The problem with 2.0 went away, but the update installer thinks I still need the update for 3.5 and keeps trying to install it, and failing with the error code: 0x8007064C It's blocking all other updates. Please suggest how to fix it. Hello Steve, Google is your friend. A search for this error code showed this as the first of many entries: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958055/en-u...

Update 1 of 1 installing, computer won't shut down
Hi, When I shut down my computer and get the message, 1 of 1 updates installing, do not turn off your computer", nothing installs and my computer doesn't automatically turn off like it usually does. I have had to turn it off at the power switch, when I press the off button on the CPU, nothing happens. It just continually goes back and forth from, " installing 1 of 1 updates," to "do not shut down your computer, it will shut down automatically." I would appreciate any help in fixing this issue. Thanks KTexas wrote: > When I shut down my com...

Running Sum Query
friends, > Q.1: I have table "HMADetail" That has fields as > > Date Lot# SubLot# HMAPlacedToDay HMAPlacedToDate ....... > (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) > > I Have not created Query table from this table but created report with > fields (4) and (5) same. I set property for Field (5) with Running Sum > Overall. This report works good. But it writes all records from begining date > to end date. I need The end date records only. How do I get this without query table? > > Q2: If I have to creat ...

Updating GAL from Excel?
Hello all, Can anyone recommend a tool for updating a global address list from an excel spreadsheet? Im not sure if such a thing exists but this would be a major convenience. I have an excel spreadsheet with my entire corporations address information and the execs would like to rely on the GAL for finding contact information. This would take me hours to do manually and having a tool or a script that can import or update fields would make the labor much simplier. I appreciate your responses. Keith. On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 08:41:03 -0700, "Keith" <Keith@discussions.microso...

Help with expression builder in a select Query
I am a beginer of Access. I have a database that consists of 4 columns/fields of dates. These dates/fields can be filled or can be blank. I call them A, B, C, D. Now I want to make a query or report to retrieve the date data in the column/field of A. The criteria for this: all the dates in field A must be later /larger than those in field B or C or D if B or C or D contains any value. I queried the A,B,C,D from the table that contains these fields. The first criteria I wrote is "A is not Null". But then I want to say if B or C or D is not blank, A must be ...

Taste this internet update from the Microsoft
--jowssxokvo Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="jukqxrdabzx"; type="multipart/alternative" --jukqxrdabzx Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="ygcghhjyswr" --ygcghhjyswr Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to help maintain the security of your computer from these vulner...

Can I change the Excel Queries Developed From Reporting Tools
I have created the Excel iqy queries from the third party reporting tools and during the process there is an option either to pass the User Login id and Pass word as a parameter or not. We have developed some queries using generic id so that the users do not have to pass the Login id and password and now we want to change that. Is there a way to modify that excelquery.iqy file without redoing that. can i see the sql script of that "iqy" file. can i modify that? Please let me know. Thanks in advance!!!! .. ...

MS Office 2007 update junk email filter (KB977839)
I cannot install MS Office 07 update junk email filter (KB977839). I have tried several times but still it do not install (error code 646) Please help. Thanks, avids517 avids517;114819 Wrote: > I cannot install MS Office 07 update junk email filter (KB977839). > I have tried several times but still it do not install (error code > 646) > > Please help. Rather than using Windows Update to install this update, try downloading it manually and installing it. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=977839 -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] http://forums.sl...

Exact match query
My colleague told me that there's a function in sccess that can accomplish this. I need to check every month's report against the last. As I don't want to waste time checking those entries that were checked previously, I want to run a query to find the unmatched entries (comparing 2 tables). However, I don't have a primary key as these tables are imported from excel. I need to find an exact match for every cell in the row. I've tried running the unmatched query on access and it only matched the data in 1 column. How can I go about it? Is there a way to do it in ex...

Task Update History
Hi! We use MS Project 2007 and we are having an issue getting resources to report their hours every day. Is there a history report that would show us the history of which days each resource reported their time? Thank you! Stacey Sorry but Project Server 2007 does not have those kind of detailed logging capabilities. Are you using My Timesheets or My Tasks or both? If you are using My Timesheets, you might be able to create an SSRS or Data Analysis report that shows which days the resources have reported hours against. Jonathan "Stacey" <Stacey@discuss...

Saving a Filter as a Query in VB Via a button, Can it be done?
Saving a Filter as a Query in VB Via a button, Can it be done? P.S. I use 07' More info can be found here about my question. http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=145785 "JBurlison" wrote: > Saving a Filter as a Query in VB Via a button, Can it be done? P.S. I use 07' ...

ItemDynamic Updates
I'm trying to understand how the 'snapshot' reporting works and need to understand how the ItemDynamic table is maintained. My working hypothesis is this: When shops connect overnight, they receive new data from HQ and send up sales data for the period since the last connection. Shops only send details for items that have changed - i.e. been sold or had goods received or transferred. Probably the snapshot date in ITEMDYNAMIC is the last date that an item had a movement. This means that any cost/price data in ITEMDYNAMIC relating to a snapshot could pre-date new cost/price d...

Microsoft Query is changing a negative number into a date
I am using Microsoft Query to pull a subset of a large excel file however two of my columns which are suppose to be numbers are not pulling in the negative numbers. If I look at the query in microsoft database the number shows up as a date/time string. I've tried formatting the original number as a number but the query still won't read the negative number. How do I get the query to read a negative number as a number and not a date. Hi Highlight the columns and format as a date "mowens" wrote: > I am using Microsoft Query to pull a subset of a large ex...

3D Updateable table
I need to create a 3d table consisting of a bunch of companies in rows, each with a set of fixed variables for each across the top in columns- the same for each of the last 20 days. Each day I want to put "today's" new "sheet" on the "front" and drop off the back one. Conceptually at least, any ideas how the smart way to think about this ? Many thanks. -- Brent Wheeler Brent Wheeler Limited Ph (09) 379 2344 Website : www.brentsjam.com Latest : www.brentsjam.com/bwl.html (Updated 01/08) - Integrity & the Legal Profession Client S...

Dynamic Update
I have a data set that looks like this: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/The_Oakster/Untitled.jpg I have been creating 2 charts, 1 from the amount column and 1 from the mid price column which looks like this:http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/The_Oakster/Untitled-1.jpg How do I make the charts update automatically? I can follow the examples for a single column of data that updates the chart when a new row is added but I am adding 4 columns at a time and using the data in every fourth column and I cant work out how to do it. Worksheets are inexpensive. Add a worksheet that links t...

Expression builder in a select query
I want to determine the qualifying % of commission based on Margin $ as follows <74.99 0.00% >75 and <149.99 8% >150 and <249.99 10% >25 and <349.99 12% >400 14% My expression below do not produce correct results.I need help. COMM_RATE: IIf([Net_Margin]<74.99,"0.00",IIf([Net_Margin]<149.99,"8.00",IIf([Net_Margin]<224.99,"10.00",IIf([Net_Margin]<399.99,"12.00",IIf([Net_Margin]>400,"14.00",0))))) COMM_RATE: IIf([Net_Margin]<74.99,"0.00" ,IIf([Net_Margin]<149.99,"...

FW: See important update from the M$ Corporation
--xazxhpvttygaswi Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="xlbtnant"; type="multipart/alternative" --xlbtnant Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="ilsjlfrsssmnt" --ilsjlfrsssmnt Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to help maintain...

SQL update for Payables manual payment distributions
Hi All Can someone please provide me with a SQL script to update the distributions of a payables manual payment. The correct check amount is already available for each transaction in the manual payments screen. I now want to use the same value (check amount) for each payment and update the related distribution line items. Thanks in advance, I'm being dense here, but I don't understand what you are trying to do. Do you have the manual payments already saved to a batch and you want to set the distribution accounts without having to open the window? If yes, the dis...

Why is the data pulled down from an online update, ALL WRONG?
I'm using Money 2004 Deluxe. I just figured out how to get online updates for my 403(b) from Fidelity. I've pull everything down into MS Money. Looked cool, at least for a while. Then I noticed that out of the 6 mutual funds I'm investing in, only 2 had symbols associated with them. So I tried to assign the symbols to the other 4. Only thing is when I did, I got error messages saying that the symbol was already in use. So then I went into help and found that if I went to the Investing menu option and choose "Work With Investments" and then choose "Choose ...

Date time combined query
I need to pull all records out of a main table from a beginning date at a certain time.... till a ending date at a cerain time. please help Do you have significant table and field names that you can share? I always recommend creating a form with controls that allow users to enter or select criteria values that can be used to filter a query, form, or report. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP If I have helped you, please help me by donating to UCP http://www.access.hookom.net/UCP/Default.htm "Desperate Wes" wrote: > I need to pull all records out of a main table from ...