locked LDB FILE

When exiting my MsAccess database I've noticed that the LDB File doesn't go
away as it should.

when I tried to delete the ldb file ( I'm the only one using it ) it says
record locked.

I tried rebooting - No Dice.

I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out

0
Captain

Have already done that - incidentally - I am the LAN man

"KARL DEWEY" <KARLDEWEY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Backup your database. Then do a Compact and Repair.
> If it still does not go away then ask you LAN man to delete.
> --
> KARL DEWEY
> Build a little - Test a little
>

> "Captain Kangaroo" wrote:
>
>> When exiting my MsAccess database I've noticed that the LDB File doesn't
>> go
>> away as it should.
>>
>> when I tried to delete the ldb file ( I'm the only one using it ) it says
>> record locked.
>>
>> I tried rebooting - No Dice.
>>

>> I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out

0
Captain
8/1/2007 6:01:27 PM
Have already confirmed that access to the file is established.
this wasn't occuring yesterday.

I have copied the mdb file to the local drive as a test and when the ldb
file appears I would close the file,
but the ldb does not go away.  Even when deleting the file on the local
drive - remember there's no permissions here
because I'm the owner of the file.

I'm afraid the only alternative is to reboot the server - last resort

"Jerry Whittle" <JerryWhittle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> All users of the database, including yourself, must have at least read,
> write, and create and delete privileges to the folder holding the database
> file. Not just the database .mdb file, but the entire folder.
> --
> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
>
> "Captain Kangaroo" wrote:
>
>> When exiting my MsAccess database I've noticed that the LDB File doesn't
>> go
>> away as it should.
>>
>> when I tried to delete the ldb file ( I'm the only one using it ) it says
>> record locked.
>>
>> I tried rebooting - No Dice.
>>

>> I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out

0
Captain
8/1/2007 6:04:35 PM
Hi,
looks like your mdb is still open, either by other user, you by yourself -
sometimes access does not quit, still running and not visible. check task
manager for running msaccess.exe process

--
Best regards,
___________

"Captain Kangaroo" <lalexanderusa@verizon.net> wrote in message
> When exiting my MsAccess database I've noticed that the LDB File doesn't
> go away as it should.
>
> when I tried to delete the ldb file ( I'm the only one using it ) it says
> record locked.
>
> I tried rebooting - No Dice.
>

> I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out

0
Alex
8/1/2007 10:12:01 PM
"Captain Kangaroo" <lalexanderusa@verizon.net> wrote:

>Have already confirmed that access to the file is established.
>this wasn't occuring yesterday.
>
>I have copied the mdb file to the local drive as a test and when the ldb
>file appears I would close the file,
>but the ldb does not go away.  Even when deleting the file on the local
>drive - remember there's no permissions here
>because I'm the owner of the file.

Yes, but what are the permissions on the folder not the file?   The
ldb file is inheriting permissions from the folder and not the MDB.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> "Captain Kangaroo" <lalexanderusa@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Have already confirmed that access to the file is established.
>>this wasn't occuring yesterday.
>>
>>I have copied the mdb file to the local drive as a test and when the ldb
>>file appears I would close the file,
>>but the ldb does not go away.  Even when deleting the file on the local
>>drive - remember there's no permissions here
>>because I'm the owner of the file.
>
> Yes, but what are the permissions on the folder not the file?   The
> ldb file is inheriting permissions from the folder and not the MDB.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>   Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>   Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
>   Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

0
Jasmine
8/2/2007 1:13:47 PM
If you haven't already done so, you could try opening the ldb file to see who
it shows as being logged in.

"Steven Chicago,Illinois" wrote:

> Dear Captain Kangaroo,
>
> Did you figure it out?
>
> Please post the answer for the rest of us who will be following you across
> this bridge and searching here in the discussion group to learn what we
> should do.
>
> Thanks and Good Luck,
> Steve
Is this DB on a local drive or a share drive on a network?

If you have administrative rights on the machine your DB is stored on
you can do the following:

1.) Open Control Panel
2.) Select Administrative Tools
3.) Select Computer Management
4.) Select Shared Folders
5.) Select Open Files
6.) If your .ldb is there right click and select close files

If your .ldb is being shared somehow this is the best way to get rid
of it. I've had to have my Sys Admins do this a couple times to
unlock .mdbs on our file servers.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks,
Trep.

On Aug 1, 6:12 pm, "Alex Dybenko"
<alex...@PLEASE.cemi.NO.rssi.SPAM.ru> wrote:
> Hi,
> looks like your mdb is still open, either by other user, you by yourself -
> sometimes access does not quit, still running and not visible. check task
> manager for running msaccess.exe process
>
> --
> Best regards,
> ___________
> Alex Dybenko (MVP)http://alexdyb.blogspot.comhttp://www.PointLtd.com
>
> "Captain Kangaroo" <lalexander...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> > When exiting my MsAccess database I've noticed that the LDB File doesn't
> > go away as it should.
>
> > when I tried to delete the ldb file ( I'm the only one using it ) it says
> > record locked.
>
> > I tried rebooting - No Dice.
>
> > I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out- Hide quoted text -

Trepalium
8/7/2007 8:13:19 PM
Traditionally linked to Recordsets not beeing Closed

ie Set Rs = Db.OpenRecordset("MySet")
Rs.Close : Set rs = Nothing ' Excplicit housecleaning

Pieter

"rtviper" <rtviper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have periodically had the same problem. Using Task Manager, I find the
> process, Stop it and then delete the .LDB file.
>
> "Captain Kangaroo" wrote:
>
>> When exiting my MsAccess database I've noticed that the LDB File doesn't
>> go
>> away as it should.
>>
>> when I tried to delete the ldb file ( I'm the only one using it ) it says
>> record locked.
>>
>> I tried rebooting - No Dice.
>>

>> I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out

0
Pieter

locking up
This might be more of a GDI question, but since I'm in MFC, I'll ask: Would BitBlt-ing to the screen repeatedly tend to lock up a program, after alt+tabbing to another application? If so, why? This seems to be happening to me, and I want to get to the bottom of the problem. What I have is either a fade loop or a screen-size redraw, both based on a timer and bitblt. Quite often, after I leave the program to go to another app, I cannot return and must "end task". "Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote in message news:%23YFL5Ks%23F...

Desktop Alert Locks Computer
Greetings, I am seeing a little quirk on some of my desktops. It only happens occasionally, but it happens to different models of PC. Not all the time, but once in awhile, I have users that complain of their PC freezing. The only remedy is to do a hard reboot. I have noticed in these instances, that the desktop mail alert ( the preview that pops up by the system clock when you get a new mail) is showing when it froze. If I go into Outlook and turn off the desktop alert, then the PC freezing stops. So, I know that the Desktop Alert is the cause of the problem. Has anyone else ever seen this? Th...

eseutil compaction did not reduce size of priv1.edb file
I have Exchange 2000. The priv1.edb was nearing 13 GB so I had the users delete a bunch of old emails. Then I ran eseutil /d on the priv1.edb file hoping it would compact the file, but when it was done, the resulting database file wasn't much smaller than 12.8 GB. I thought that eseutil /d would compact the database and produce a smaller edb file. What am I missing? Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this! eseutil /d only elimintates empty pages in the DB...Event 1221 in your application log should have given you an estimate on how much disk space you could expect to ...

Importing csv file into Outlook Express 6
I exported my email messages from earthlink totalaccess into a csv file. I can't seem to find a way to import this file into Outlook Express - any suggestions? Kath <Kath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I exported my email messages from earthlink totalaccess into a csv > file. I can't seem to find a way to import this file into Outlook > Express - any suggestions? 1) Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. 2) Export the Earthlink data in a format Outlook Express can import. CSV files are not one of the formats that will work for mail messages. -- Brian Tillman...

File recovery #6
How do I recover a file I accidentally closed without saving? diesel, If you never saved it, and have closed it, it doesn't exist anywhere. Sorry. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "diesel" <diesel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:578E8914-E0BC-421D-BF8C-501EF6730573@microsoft.com... > How do I recover a file I accidentally closed without saving? ...

howto copy a file programmatically?
hi! just as topic - unfortunately i am not able to find a function like _mkdir for copying a file... thanks philipp "Philipp Huber" <philipp.huber@innval.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:4033661c$0$28886$91cee783@newsreader01.highway.telekom.at... > hi! > > just as topic - unfortunately i am not able to find a function like _mkdir > for copying a file... > > thanks philipp > > One option is to use the CopyFile() API. -- Bjarne Nielsen try MoveFileEx or CopyFile "Philipp Huber" <philipp.huber@innval.com> wrote in message news:40...

Lock formula to cell
I want a formula to lock to a cell so that when I add or delete a column the formula will always remain with say column H I know if the sheet is Password protected this will prevent this happening but that is no use when I have to unprotect the sheet to delete a column. Anyone got thoughts on this? regards Pat Hi Pat without using VBA you can't achieve this Frank Pat wrote: > I want a formula to lock to a cell so that when I add or delete a > column the formula will always remain with say column H > > I know if the sheet is Password protected this will prevent this >...

locked excel File ??
Hi . I am working with my colleges with one Excel file in a shared file system. Sometime - when I open the file, there is the message "locked from College" - but he is definetly out of office and shut down his PC. We are using Excel 2003 + Excel 2007. What can I do?? THnks for help Susan ...

Locked out of database
Not sure what happened but get a message saying "database has been converted from a prior version of Access by using DAO compactdatabase and is now in a partially converted state." It says I should be able to import tables into a new data base but when I try this it just gives the same message about converting and the data base just doesn't open. Please help because lots at stake, have to do a report based on these tables so am waiting with anticipation!!!x Hi Pete, Usually this means you are opening an earlier version of Access in a new version. Make a copy of the data...

moving files #2
How do I move outlook back-up files on to a new computer. Thanks Ray ...

Outllook2007 to open my Outlook2002 Win7 says files locked.
I'm following 2002 to 2007 instructions step by step. When I point Outlook to my ..pst file, I get access restriction messages. How do I make sure these files can be accessed by Outlook 2007? Thanks. Which exact steps are these? From your Outlook 2002 machine, copy the pst-file to your Outlook 2007 machine and place it in a convenient location such as My Documents\Outlook\ In Outlook 2007 you can then reconnect to the pst-file via; File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... For details see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm -- Robert Sparnaai...

Database to read ASC II File created from excel
I have a datafile in Excel that I would like to make the information available to our clients to search on. I don't need anything fancy but the program does need to be under 5 megs in size. Just a way for them to search on text & numeric items on 4 to 5 fields at a time and print out a simple report. I need it to run on the ms windows o/s or suppose it could be javascript but I don't want to have to get into the programming language. Any suggestions for programs, Thanks, Chris Most of this was stolen directly from John Walkenbach's site: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/...

Opening files #4
After upgrading Ms-office XP to 2003 all my XP files refuse to open. It says files not found, yet they exist. Suprisingly even the new files i create and save in publisher refuse to open next time i try to retrieve them. What could be the problem. Are you saving them locally? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Rarte" <Rarte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1BE6B4F3-1BE7-40BF-961C-2B04450D1E07@microsoft.com... > After upgrading Ms-office XP to 2003 all my XP files refuse to open. It...

Macro
Hi, Would appreciate any help on the following :- I have a macro which opens 4 seperate spreadsheets and formats them. The files are call ocean.xls, air.xls etc. I wanted the macro to also rename and save the files automatically adding the date at the end i.e. it would now be called ocean 01012004.xls etc Not knowing how to do this I searched the groups and used the following code:- Range("A2").Select Dim str As String str = Trim(VBA.Format(Now(), "DDMMYYYY")) Debug.Print str ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="Y:\GSK Administration\Excel\GSK Bond Reports\GSK Bo...

Problem with restoring multiple .pst files
After one troublesome crash where lost a lot of important old emails, I've been diligent about backing up my Outlook 2007 (I also use Windows 7 64 bit). I'm trying to get all my old emails back into my new computer, but when I go to the backed up files, I have multiples available. There's the following files: Outlook Backup, Outlook, Outl(my email)@hotmail.com-0000002, Outl(my email)@hotmail.com-0000003, Outl(my email)@hotmail.com-0000004, a file called my email with an underscore instead of an ampersand, another identical with a 0 appended, archive, archive backup,...

Restoring Files
I had to restore my computer, when I went to restore my 2005 money file using my bu file it gave me a file protect error message. It is not write protected. I could not restore any money file copy I had that had been opened in money 2005, but I could restore a file used in 2004 money without any problem? Has Money 2005 updated to 1105? See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;890393 -Mark "Chris S" <ChrisS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BE7C8818-703D-45C5-9072-1AF088758481@microsoft.com... > I have just reformatted my computer and ...

How do I print a text file ?
Hi, I am new to the group and wonder if any of you could offer any advice. I am trying to print a text file directly from my visual c++ application to the default printer without displaying the print dialog What is the best way of doing this ? If it is not possible to print directly from a text file, what commands to I use in between CDC::StartPage () To print the following Hello, my name is Joe Bloggs How are you I hope you can help with this problem etc..... CDC::EndPage () Thanks in advance Paul Paul, More info on printing than you can comfortably shake a stick at: http://www....

how do i move outlook files
i have outlook 2002 on my notebook, i am setting up a new desktop with outlook 2003. can my emails, addresses, accounts setup, and calendars be transferred to my new computer? how? tia There's a page here discussing that: http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm <sstovall3@aol.com> wrote in message news:a0cqk15vofj0a9d9n92r0at0f58v72p2r8@4ax.com... >i have outlook 2002 on my notebook, i am setting up a new desktop with > outlook 2003. can my emails, addresses, accounts setup, and calendars > be transferred to my new computer? how? Thanks Vince, I lo...

Lock autoshape to fixed position
Hello, Does anybody know if it is possible to keep an autoshape to a fixed position. I have a worksheet that has two panes, one is frozen i.e. a fixed header and scrollable rows. On the bottom of the page I want to put a button bar made of shape buttons. The problem is that when I scroll, the buttons scroll too! It would be nices if I can keep them in position. I know that is is possible to add a second window, but that does not look so well... Any ideas? Multiple fixed panes would be a great option! Change the alignment option to be absolute. Picture properties > Layout tab > Advan...

Money "lock-out" solution-thanks Kurt
Kurt Thanks for the idea. It worked. I unistalled money 2002 and the reinstalled using custom mode...up and running again! Thank -you What happens to all your data when you do that? Do you still have your data? I tried reinstalling, but no luck. I hate to uninstall, since I would lose all the data, right? Would appreciate info. Thanks, Alice >-----Original Message----- >Kurt > >Thanks for the idea. It worked. I unistalled money 2002 >and the reinstalled using custom mode...up and running >again! Thank -you >. > Your data is in a file *.mny. This is ind...

Limiting files to open to only files with certain name.
I have a User Form with a Control Button that is for opening Exsisting Files. I only want to Open Files with the word "Spec" in the name? Is there a way to only show & Open Excel Files with "Spec' in the name? I have the following code that opens the Dialog Box, but it shows all the files with the ".xlsm" extension. I want to narrow it down to only files with "Spec" in the name. It would be nice if it would show all the differnt excel file extensions. ' Open Existing Eng Spec 9 Control Button Private Sub Open_Existing_Eng_Spec...

zip files and ftp
hi, i am working in a dilaog based mfc application. i want to zip a folder into a single file to transfer it into a ftp server. is there any API to achieve it? if not how can i transfer a folder containings files into a ftp server. thanks anu. There are many compression libraries available. I have used ZLib and found it to be fast and effective. It's public domain software, so the source code is free: http://www.gzip.org/zlib/ In article <09e501c37da0$e22e9990$a301280a@phx.gbl>, anu says... > hi, > > i am working in a dilaog based mfc application. i want to &...

File Open doesn't display all directories (List vs Details)
When in Excel, choose File, Open - when in 'LIST' view, I do not get all my subdirectories displayed. When the view is changed to 'DETAILS', all the subdirectories are displayed. Changed back to "LIST" view, and subdirectories go missing again. However, when in Windows Explorer, all subdirectories are correctly displayed. What is causing this? And how to fix? (Windows 2000 with Office 2000 installed, all service packs installed). Oak, Could it be you need to scroll? Look for both horizontal and vertical scroll bars. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com...

Form locking up
I've completed my own Linked Table Manager wizard, so that the connections I create to SQL Server and Oracle database on my network don't require a DSN (DSN-less connections). This wizard exists in its own mda file, which I have added as a reference in several of my databases. In my test database, this wizard runs great. I've got a command button that calls a function (fnRefreshLinks) that exists in the wizard. It opens a form, refreshes a list of the linked tables, tests the link, and provides me with some options. When I run this same function from another database, it...