HOW TO USE NOT LIKE EXPRESSION

How to not select certain multiple criteria.  I want to not select certain
contractor codes.  I tried the not like function but can't get it to work on
not selecting multiple contractors.  I tried to setup the formula like this:
Not like "Vic" or not like "Pioneer" or not like "Bud" but this does not
work.  How do I setup an expression to not select  VIC, PIONEER OR BUD (AND
MANY OTHER CONTRACTORS)?

Thanks

"Vic"  NOT LIKE "Vic" OR  "Vic" NOT LIKE "pioneer"

evaluates to

            False                   OR     true

which is

                        true

You should use  AND, instead of OR.

Alternatively:

    "Vic" NOT IN( "Vic", "Pioneer", "Bud" )

Vanderghast, Access MVP

"Bjorgoal" <Bjorgoal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How to not select certain multiple criteria.  I want to not select certain
> contractor codes.  I tried the not like function but can't get it to work
> on
> not selecting multiple contractors.  I tried to setup the formula like
> this:
> Not like "Vic" or not like "Pioneer" or not like "Bud" but this does not
> work.  How do I setup an expression to not select  VIC, PIONEER OR BUD
> (AND
> MANY OTHER CONTRACTORS)?
>
> Thanks

0
Michel
9/27/2007 7:24:35 PM
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 12:09:00 -0700, Bjorgoal
<Bjorgoal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How to not select certain multiple criteria.  I want to not select certain
>contractor codes.  I tried the not like function but can't get it to work on
>not selecting multiple contractors.  I tried to setup the formula like this:
>Not like "Vic" or not like "Pioneer" or not like "Bud" but this does not
>work.  How do I setup an expression to not select  VIC, PIONEER OR BUD (AND
>MANY OTHER CONTRACTORS)?
>
>Thanks

The LIKE operator is used *only* for searches using wildcards, to find partial
matches. If you don't have a * or # or ? or other wildcard character in the
criterion, then LIKE is functionally identical to =. In this case you don't
need LIKE at all!

Instead, use a criterion of

NOT IN ("Vic", "Pioneer", "Bud")

If the list of contractors to be excluded is extensive and/or subject to
change, then I'd suggest setting up an Excludes table with one row per
contractor to be excluded, and use the Unmatched Query Wizard to show all
records except those in the Excludes table.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
9/27/2007 7:58:01 PM
Give us an idea of what kind of data is normally found in this field...

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"Bjorgoal" <Bjorgoal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How to not select certain multiple criteria.  I want to not select certain
> contractor codes.  I tried the not like function but can't get it to work
> on
> not selecting multiple contractors.  I tried to setup the formula like
> this:
> Not like "Vic" or not like "Pioneer" or not like "Bud" but this does not
> work.  How do I setup an expression to not select  VIC, PIONEER OR BUD
> (AND
> MANY OTHER CONTRACTORS)?
>
> Thanks

0
Jeff
9/27/2007 11:16:28 PM
Try: Not In ('VIC', PIONEER','BUD')

HTH

Pieter

"Jeff Boyce" <nonsense@nonsense.com> wrote in message
> Give us an idea of what kind of data is normally found in this field...
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>
> "Bjorgoal" <Bjorgoal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> How to not select certain multiple criteria.  I want to not select
>> certain
>> contractor codes.  I tried the not like function but can't get it to work
>> on
>> not selecting multiple contractors.  I tried to setup the formula like
>> this:
>> Not like "Vic" or not like "Pioneer" or not like "Bud" but this does not
>> work.  How do I setup an expression to not select  VIC, PIONEER OR BUD
>> (AND
>> MANY OTHER CONTRACTORS)?
>>
>> Thanks

0
Pieter
9/28/2007 12:25:19 PM
On Sep 27, 8:24 pm, "Michel Walsh"
<vanderghast@VirusAreFunnierThanSpam> wrote:
>     "Vic" NOT IN( "Vic", "Pioneer", "Bud" )

>From an implementation point of view, the OP could have a SQL
PROCEDURE (parameter Query) with many parameters that have a default
value of NULL e.g. (ANSI-92 Query Mode):

CREATE PROCEDURE GetOrdersExcludeCustomers
(
   arg_exclude_customerID_01 CHAR(5) = NULL,
   arg_exclude_customerID_02 CHAR(5) = NULL,
   arg_exclude_customerID_03 CHAR(5) = NULL,
   arg_exclude_customerID_04 CHAR(5) = NULL,
   arg_exclude_customerID_05 CHAR(5) = NULL,
   arg_exclude_customerID_06 CHAR(5) = NULL,
   arg_exclude_customerID_07 CHAR(5) = NULL,
   arg_exclude_customerID_08 CHAR(5) = NULL,
   arg_exclude_customerID_09 CHAR(5) = NULL,
   arg_exclude_customerID_10 CHAR(5) = NULL,
   arg_exclude_customerID_11 CHAR(5) = NULL,
   arg_exclude_customerID_12 CHAR(5) = NULL,
   arg_exclude_customerID_13 CHAR(5) = NULL,
   arg_exclude_customerID_14 CHAR(5) = NULL,
   arg_exclude_customerID_15 CHAR(5) = NULL
)
AS
SELECT CustomerID, OrderID, OrderDate
FROM Orders
WHERE CustomerID NOT IN (arg_exclude_customerID_01,
arg_exclude_customerID_02, arg_exclude_customerID_03,
arg_exclude_customerID_04, arg_exclude_customerID_05,
arg_exclude_customerID_06, arg_exclude_customerID_07,
arg_exclude_customerID_08, arg_exclude_customerID_09,
arg_exclude_customerID_10, arg_exclude_customerID_11,
arg_exclude_customerID_12, arg_exclude_customerID_13,
arg_exclude_customerID_14, arg_exclude_customerID_15);

The number of parameters in a proc is theoretically unlimited but the
practical upper limit, due to "query too complex" errors and the like,
is still quite high (approx two thousand). The Jet SQL Help (Access)
suggests the limit is 255: is this the officially supported limit or
merely another error with this document?

Jamie.

Jamie
10/1/2007 12:39:20 PM
On Oct 1, 1:39 pm, Jamie Collins <jamiecoll...@xsmail.com> wrote:
> CREATE PROCEDURE GetOrdersExcludeCustomers
> (
>    arg_exclude_customerID_01 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>    arg_exclude_customerID_02 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>    arg_exclude_customerID_03 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>    arg_exclude_customerID_04 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>    arg_exclude_customerID_05 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>    arg_exclude_customerID_06 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>    arg_exclude_customerID_07 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>    arg_exclude_customerID_08 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>    arg_exclude_customerID_09 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>    arg_exclude_customerID_10 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>    arg_exclude_customerID_11 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>    arg_exclude_customerID_12 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>    arg_exclude_customerID_13 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>    arg_exclude_customerID_14 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>    arg_exclude_customerID_15 CHAR(5) = NULL
> )
> AS
> SELECT CustomerID, OrderID, OrderDate
> FROM Orders
> WHERE CustomerID NOT IN (arg_exclude_customerID_01,
> arg_exclude_customerID_02, arg_exclude_customerID_03,
> arg_exclude_customerID_04, arg_exclude_customerID_05,
> arg_exclude_customerID_06, arg_exclude_customerID_07,
> arg_exclude_customerID_08, arg_exclude_customerID_09,
> arg_exclude_customerID_10, arg_exclude_customerID_11,
> arg_exclude_customerID_12, arg_exclude_customerID_13,
> arg_exclude_customerID_14, arg_exclude_customerID_15);

Example for Northwind. Usage e.g. (ANSI-92 Query Mode):

EXECUTE GetOrdersExcludeCustomers 'SAVEA', 'ANTON', 'HUNGO';

Jamie

Jamie
10/1/2007 12:43:17 PM
Here *another*  Jet  different behavior than what the Standard requires.

If you try

    ?  eval( " 4 NOT IN (1, 2, null) ")

 -1

where -1 is to be read as "true" ( 0 being read as false). That is fine?
Well, that is not what the Standard requires, as long as I remember, since
the Standard will require the expression to evaluate to null, since

        4 NOT IN (1, 2, null)
==    4 <> 1   AND 4 <> 2  AND 4 <> null
==    true  AND true AND null
==    null

But that is NOT ALL the story...

On the other hand, Jet behaves that way ONLY FOR CONSTANT list, as
illustrated. Jet behaves like the Standard if the 'list" comes from a query:

    .... WHERE  4 NOT IN (SELECT ... )

In that case, if the SELECT contains a NULL, the result of the NOT IN  is
also NULL !

So, basically, yes, in Jet, that solution will work, but would it work with
MS SQL Server used as database engine? Note that I have NOT explicitly
checked that precise particular case, though.

Vanderghast, Access MVP

"Jamie Collins" <jamiecollins@xsmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sep 27, 8:24 pm, "Michel Walsh"
> <vanderghast@VirusAreFunnierThanSpam> wrote:
>>     "Vic" NOT IN( "Vic", "Pioneer", "Bud" )
>
>>From an implementation point of view, the OP could have a SQL
> PROCEDURE (parameter Query) with many parameters that have a default
> value of NULL e.g. (ANSI-92 Query Mode):
>
> CREATE PROCEDURE GetOrdersExcludeCustomers
> (
>   arg_exclude_customerID_01 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>   arg_exclude_customerID_02 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>   arg_exclude_customerID_03 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>   arg_exclude_customerID_04 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>   arg_exclude_customerID_05 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>   arg_exclude_customerID_06 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>   arg_exclude_customerID_07 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>   arg_exclude_customerID_08 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>   arg_exclude_customerID_09 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>   arg_exclude_customerID_10 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>   arg_exclude_customerID_11 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>   arg_exclude_customerID_12 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>   arg_exclude_customerID_13 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>   arg_exclude_customerID_14 CHAR(5) = NULL,
>   arg_exclude_customerID_15 CHAR(5) = NULL
> )
> AS
> SELECT CustomerID, OrderID, OrderDate
> FROM Orders
> WHERE CustomerID NOT IN (arg_exclude_customerID_01,
> arg_exclude_customerID_02, arg_exclude_customerID_03,
> arg_exclude_customerID_04, arg_exclude_customerID_05,
> arg_exclude_customerID_06, arg_exclude_customerID_07,
> arg_exclude_customerID_08, arg_exclude_customerID_09,
> arg_exclude_customerID_10, arg_exclude_customerID_11,
> arg_exclude_customerID_12, arg_exclude_customerID_13,
> arg_exclude_customerID_14, arg_exclude_customerID_15);
>
> The number of parameters in a proc is theoretically unlimited but the
> practical upper limit, due to "query too complex" errors and the like,
> is still quite high (approx two thousand). The Jet SQL Help (Access)
> suggests the limit is 255: is this the officially supported limit or
> merely another error with this document?
>
> Jamie.

Michel
10/1/2007 1:06:20 PM
On Oct 1, 2:06 pm, "Michel Walsh"
<vanderghast@VirusAreFunnierThanSpam> wrote:
> basically, yes, in Jet, that solution will work, but would it work with
> MS SQL Server used as database engine? Note that I have NOT explicitly
> checked that precise particular case, though.

You are correct, of course. I could post a SQL Server equivalent using
COALESCE to handle the NULL value but someone would point out it isn't
compliant with SQL/PSM ;-)

Jamie.

Jamie

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Using resources, how to ?

scatter plots using pivot table data

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces

What do you use Excel for?

using extended desktop mode
How can I move an Excel spreadsheet onto my second monitor. Word and Internet provide no problems, I just click & drag. Same way. You have to have the application window in a non-maximised state though, and you can then drag it from one to the other, or even size it so it spreads across the two screens completely. If I have the window maximised though, I am unable to drag it from screen to screen. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�-------------------------...

How do I used the outlook?
I don't know my microsoft exchange sever so I can't put in the right user name. What should I do? Version of Outlook? Close outlook. Go to control panel, mail and delete the current profile and make a new profile - Choose the correct account type - for most people its POP3, but could be IMAP. If you need more assistance with this we need to know the version of Outlook and who your email provider is. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:daily...

Chart using Macro
I have several sheets having similar data for different lanes. I have a macro which can create a graph I want with different series plotted in different forms for source data on a particular sheet. I want to be able to create a graph for the active sheet. How do I use ActiveSheet data as source data for the gaph. ...

Import into Outlook Express
OK, here's the problem. I have been using Outlook for email only. I don't need it for managing contacts as I already use a contact managment program. I would like to know however how to back up strictly the address book and groups within that address book. Otherwise how can I "import" email addresses with names into Outlook Express 6 TIA -- Paul Ingram DNS SYSTEMS LIMITED (902) 488-3166 Web: www.dnssystemsltd.com Email: dnssystems@ns.sympatico.ca --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.775 / Virus ...

use the @ sign
i have one cell a1 that has this in it Tuesday, November 06, 2007 ii the next b1 i would like to put @7:30pm but i keep getting error @ is the way Lotus indicated a function. You can enter @SUM(A10:A100) in a cell and XL will convert it to =SUM(A10:A100) To start your cell with @, prefix it with an apostrophe - the apostrophe indicates Text, and won't be displayed. In article <88862DC0-DDEB-4245-B2BD-D2102B577B49@microsoft.com>, joen <joen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > i have one cell a1 that has this in it > Tuesday, November 06, 2007 > ii the...

Use Vista to restore windows mail from backup
I use Vista 32bit backup to backup my computer. Vista 32 bit backup is not a disk image backup. I will be reinstalling everything on my computer. I use Vista Windows Mail that came with my computer for my email. How do I use Vista restore from my latest backup to restore my emails and contacts and email accounts POP/SMTP settings? I assume Vista 32 bit backup backs this up. Vista help does not specifically address this. Thank You for your Help. Bob Background info: I have a desktop AMD 4400+ 64X2 4GB memory 320GB HD(way bigger than I need) Acer computer (AM3100-U3201A) I...

Display in same cell lbs(kgs) using formula to auto-convert lbs
I would like to have a cell show #lbs(#kgs) in that format. But have the kgs measurement autoconvert from the entered lbs number. So the formula would look something like this Xlbs(Ykgs=X*0.454). I would also similarily like to have a #in(#cm) cell setup but I am guessing it would resemble the prescribed solution formula and only differ in the multipied conversion number. Thanks. Do you want the input and display in the same cell? You won't be able to do that without VBA. But if you input a number in A1, e.g. 25 you can make B1 display 25lbs(11.35kgs) with a formula like =A1&&...