How do I display the most recent of three dates in an Access quer.

How do I display the most recent (or latter) of three dates in an Access query?

I'm assuming that the date field is truely a date/time datatype and not a
text field with something that looks like a date.

1. Create a query and sort on that field in descending order. Run it to make
sure it looks correct.

2. Open the query in SQL view. Change where it says SELECT to SELECT TOP 3

One caution: If there is a tie for 3rd place, Access will show all the tied
records.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"Claudia1220" wrote:

> How do I display the most recent (or latter) of three dates in an Access query?
"How" depends on "what", as in "what does your data/table structure look
like"?

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"Claudia1220" <Claudia1220@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I display the most recent (or latter) of three dates in an Access
> query?

0
Jeff
3/25/2010 9:25:19 PM
Assumption: You have three date fields in one record (row).

The best way would be to redesign your table structure to store the dates as
separate related records in another table.  Or use a union query to fix the data.

The easiest way is to use a VBA function - especially if you have no control
over the data being supplied.  Below is a function that should work for you.
In your query you would have a calculated column.
Field: LastDate: fGetRowMax([DateOne],[DateTwo],[DateThree])

Copy this function into a VBA module in your database.  Save the module with
some name other than fGetRowMax.

Public Function fGetRowMax(ParamArray Values()) As Variant
'John Spencer UMBC CHPDM
'Last Update: April 5, 2000
'Returns the Maximum of a group of values passed to it.
'Sample call:
'   fGetRowMax("-21","TEST","2", "3","4","5","6","7",0) returns "TEST"
'   fGetRowMax(-21,2,3,4,5,6,7,0) returns 7
' Handles text, date, or number fields -
' only one type of data should be passed in
' Max of 29 values if called from a query.

Dim i As Long, vMax As Variant
vMax = Null

    For i = LBound(Values) To UBound(Values)
       If IsNull(Values(i)) = False Then
          If Values(i) <= vMax Then
          Else
             vMax = Values(i)
          End If
       End If
    Next

    fGetRowMax = vMax

End Function

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

Jeff Boyce wrote:
> "How" depends on "what", as in "what does your data/table structure look
> like"?
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Access MVP

0
John

Access 2007 Upgrade Problems
Help! A couple of years ago I created an assets database using Access 2003. Recently our computers were upgraded to Office 2007. I have been using my assets database using the new Access 2007 and have updated and changed a lot of objects. For the most part, it works OK. One thing I tried that did not work is saving my assets database as an Access 2007 database. When I try, I get a warning message telling me that all open objects must first be closed before the conversion can take place. The same warning dialog asks me if I want Microsoft Offfice Access to close the objec...

Dual Displays

How to handle blank date and time?
I use MFC Visual C++ 4.2 I am developing a database application using MS Access 2000. The problem I am dealing with is how to handle if the user does not enter the date. There is a condition where they can do that for Finish Process Date / Finish Process Time. I make the Date and Time as separate fields, both in the database and the application. On my application I use the COleDateTime data type. I have to save the blank Date and the blank Time, and I also have to acquire them back in order to display the data using the CListCtrl. What I am confusing is how to make the query? Is it...

how can I add 'date modfied' into a cell in excel 2002
as above Check out http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/timestamp.html In article <F4E52FD7-13EF-42BC-8754-D8B5F255A3E0@microsoft.com>, "Shmoo" <Shmoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > as above Thanks JE, appreciate that. "JE McGimpsey" wrote: > Check out > > http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/timestamp.html > > In article <F4E52FD7-13EF-42BC-8754-D8B5F255A3E0@microsoft.com>, > "Shmoo" <Shmoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > > > as above > ...

Access Email
Is there a way to get around the security popup messages that Outlook comes up with when access send a email, have looked around and can only find addins the i want to try and stay away from to make it a simplier process. Been looking at various sites and this keeps coming up 'Object model guard'. Would like to have access take care of the email and outlook problems. The reason why i want to use outlook is that i have records stored in outlook that a email has been sent. Thanks -- Take a look at http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?ID=52 An add-in such as Outlook ...

Folder could not be displayed

How to select & display distinct values

find and count days in blocks of consecutive dates
I need to find a way using Excel to find blocks of consecutive dates in a list and then count how many days are in each block. Any help is appreciated. Hi if i'm understanding you correctly, you can use the COUNTIF function =COUNTIF(range,">="&datevalue("lowest_date"))-COUNTIF(range,">"&datevalue("highest_date")) e.g. =COUNTIF(A1:A23,">="&DATEVALUE("2/10/04"))-COUNTIF(A1:A23,">"&DATEVALUE("4/10/04")) counts all the days between 2/10/04 and the 4/10/04 inclusive PS you might nee...

Display Time in Outlook

Remotely viewing event log without full access to server
Hi, I'd like to know if it is at all possible to allow a domain user to access the event log on a remote server (say server 2003 standard or 2008 R2) but not have the ability to log into the server itself. For example, to allow someone to monitor the server logs but not allow them to make any changes to the server itself. Much appreciated. "Mehdis" <Mehdis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2A2906B-1A4D-4019-ABBE-30D2604792C9@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I'd like to know if it is at all possible to allow a domain user to acce...

Statement Date
I enter my transactions manually for some of my accounts, ie utility bills. These transactions always have different payment dates, statement closing dates, service dates, etc.. Is there any way to enter the statement date on money 2007 deluze version 16.0.120.1303? I would like to do this so that I know what month I have just paid. In microsoft.public.money, OfficeNDN wrote: >I enter my transactions manually for some of my accounts, ie utility bills. > >These transactions always have different payment dates, statement closing >dates, service dates, etc.. > >Is there...

Microsoft Web Access E mail
This is a quirky problem that I hope someone can help me with. I am a remote home office in the NE and I work for a facility in NC. I receive and send my E mail through Microsoft Web Access Mail. So another words, I type www.xxxxxxx.net/outlook. I get a dialoge box, put in my username and password and up comes outlook. OK. The problem I have is that in the body where I type my e mail message I can not right click to do things like Copy and Paste. I click on the "right" mouse button and nothing happens at all. I simply can not right click. If I right click anywhere else on t...

PK and FK Displayed

Money 2007 -- QIF import
Good Evening! After a little trial and error, I am able to import account transactions from another system (not a bank statement, my actual register transactions) with little trouble except for the date format. (Before someone gets mad at me, I really don't think this has anything to do with my regional settings!) As recommended by an MVP from this forum, I open my CSV file with excel, then use a converter (add-in) called XL2QIF to create a qif output file. The actual "data" in a date field in my original csv file is "060106" (mm/dd/yy) which is June 1, 2006,...

Date validation #3
hello everybody, i am new to excel , and i want to format a particular cell such that it accepts a date and the date should BE ONLY SATURDAY. If the date is not saturday a message box should appear and say "please enter the correct date". Please let me know step by step.As i am not comfortable using excel. Thanx, Ragini. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Ragini, Use Data Validation, setup a custom criteria, and use a formula of =WEEKDAY(A1)=...

Formulas are displayed, results are not

MS Access connection
I've been trying for awhile to get the code below to "work" but alas nothing seems to update the table in the database. I have a button on a page which when clicked should insert a new record into the database...all of this just to test that I am doing correctly (or at this point doing something wrong). Any suggestions on why a record never gets inserted? <%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="Default2.aspx.vb" Inherits="Default2" %> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional...

Stop displaying a line

Access Calendar to Julian Conversions
I have a database with dates in the MM/DD/YYYY format and I need to convert them to julian dates. Is there a built in function in Access that will do this? Depends what you mean by "Julian Date". If you'll looking to represent the date as the day number in the year, (yyyy.ddd, so that today is 2004.177), try: Format(MyDate, "yyyy") & "." & Format(Format(MyDate, "y"), "000") -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Dave" <gatorsteele@cs.com> wrote in message news:217...

Counting against a date
Hi I want to count the rows in a range 'Tests 1' AF3:AF1000=YES if the date in the range 'Tests 1' AD3:AD1000 is (<=) less than or equal to the date in B14 (current sheet) using the following formula: =IF($B14="","",(SUMPRODUCT(('Tests 1'!$AF$3:$AF$1000=YES)*('Tests 1'!AD$3:$AD1000<=$B14)))) unfortunately this returns an #N/A error I'm clearly missing something here so any tips or pointers would be appreciated. -- Steve Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, th...

Display or not display series