Help with query criteria

I am creating an inventory database.  Inventory is taken 3 times per
day based on shift start.  I want to be able to create a parameter
query and then a report that will show the inventory taken at the
start of each shift.  There are nine areas that are inventoried each
shift.  I need to be able to query by date and time.  I want the
times
to be broken down by shift name (i.e. Days, Afternoons, Nights).  The
form that feeds the table where the query is run has a txtDate field
and txtTime field with default values of =Date() and =Time() so that
when
the data is saved to the Inventory table the time and date are there
automatically.  However, with nine areas to inventory and several
people entering the inventory into the database, it will not be
entered at exactly the same time each shift but the date is the same.
Time is formatted to "medium time" and inventory will be taken
between:

Days = 6:00am to 7:00am
Afternoons = 2:00pm to 5:45pm (due to two different afternoon shift
start times)
Nights = 10:00pm to 11:00pm

Since there are three separate inventories taken I am having trouble
with
establishing the criteria for the query.
Should I create a table with these ranges noted and use a "
Where....between..."
SQL statement....?  I am stumped on how to achieve the desired result
with
this.

0
Opal

You need to calculate the shift.  You could use something like the
following.

Field: Shift: IIF([TimeField] Between #00:06:00# and
#00:07:00#,"Morning, IIF([TimeField] Between #00:14:00# and
#00:17:45#,"Afternoon",IIF([TimeField] Between #00:22:00# and
#00:23:00#,"Night","Out-Of-Range")))

A better solution would be to add a table with the shift names and start
and stop times.  Then you could use that in a query to get the shift
names.  If the time ranges changed, then  you could edit the table.

However, that is more complex to implement in a query since the query
cannot be constructed in the query grid and must be built in SQL view.
    A simple version of that would be something like the following.

Assumptions:
Table: ShiftTable with 3 fields
ShiftName
StartTime
EndTime
No Overlaps on StartTime and EndTime between records; StartTime always
before EndTime; all time ranges encompass only one day (no Start 11 PM,
end 2 AM type records)

SELECT I.*, S.ShiftName
FROM InventoryTable as I INNER JOIN ShiftTable as S
On I.TimeField Between S.StartTime and S.EndTime

'====================================================
  John Spencer
  Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
  University of Maryland Baltimore County
'====================================================

Opal wrote:
> I am creating an inventory database.  Inventory is taken 3 times per
> day based on shift start.  I want to be able to create a parameter
> query and then a report that will show the inventory taken at the
> start of each shift.  There are nine areas that are inventoried each
> shift.  I need to be able to query by date and time.  I want the
> times
> to be broken down by shift name (i.e. Days, Afternoons, Nights).  The
> form that feeds the table where the query is run has a txtDate field
> and txtTime field with default values of =Date() and =Time() so that
> when
> the data is saved to the Inventory table the time and date are there
> automatically.  However, with nine areas to inventory and several
> people entering the inventory into the database, it will not be
> entered at exactly the same time each shift but the date is the same.
> Time is formatted to "medium time" and inventory will be taken
> between:
>
> Days = 6:00am to 7:00am
> Afternoons = 2:00pm to 5:45pm (due to two different afternoon shift
> start times)
> Nights = 10:00pm to 11:00pm
>
> Since there are three separate inventories taken I am having trouble
> with
> establishing the criteria for the query.
> Should I create a table with these ranges noted and use a "
> Where....between..."
> SQL statement....?  I am stumped on how to achieve the desired result
> with
> this.

0
John
9/16/2007 2:41:53 PM
On Sep 16, 10:41 am, John Spencer <spen...@chpdm.umbc> wrote:
> You need to calculate the shift.  You could use something like the
> following.
>
> Field: Shift: IIF([TimeField] Between #00:06:00# and
> #00:07:00#,"Morning, IIF([TimeField] Between #00:14:00# and
> #00:17:45#,"Afternoon",IIF([TimeField] Between #00:22:00# and
> #00:23:00#,"Night","Out-Of-Range")))
>
> A better solution would be to add a table with the shift names and start
> and stop times.  Then you could use that in a query to get the shift
> names.  If the time ranges changed, then  you could edit the table.
>
> However, that is more complex to implement in a query since the query
> cannot be constructed in the query grid and must be built in SQL view.
>     A simple version of that would be something like the following.
>
> Assumptions:
> Table: ShiftTable with 3 fields
> ShiftName
> StartTime
> EndTime
> No Overlaps on StartTime and EndTime between records; StartTime always
> before EndTime; all time ranges encompass only one day (no Start 11 PM,
> end 2 AM type records)
>
> SELECT I.*, S.ShiftName
> FROM InventoryTable as I INNER JOIN ShiftTable as S
> On I.TimeField Between S.StartTime and S.EndTime
>
> '====================================================
>   John Spencer
>   Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
>   Center for Health Program Development and Management
>   University of Maryland Baltimore County
> '====================================================

Thank you John.  I appreciate your assistance, but I am still a little
confused.  I have created the table, which is where I thought I should
begin with this.  But the "Select" statement you wrote has lost
me....Am I to create a select query with the two tables (Inventory and
ShiftName) and put this in the criteria?  Sorry, I've just never seen
a statement like this and
my exposure to queries has been very basic to this point.

0
Opal
9/16/2007 5:13:56 PM
No, what I showed would be the entire query.  To do this, you would need
to open the query in SQL view.  Menu: View >> SQL

Then you would need to type in the query string.  If you aren't familiar
with this.  Try the following

Make a new query
-- Add the new table and the Inventory table to the query
-- Select the fields you want to display
-- Drag from inventory.timefield to the startTime field of the new table
-- Add any where conditions you need/want
-- Select View: SQL from the menu

-- In the text view look for the text that starts with
    INVoices INNER JOIN [YourNewTable] ON Invoices.TimeField =
YourNewTable.StartTime
-- Replace the = with Between
-- after StartTime, add " AND YourNewTable.EndTime" (no quotes)
-- Try to run the query.  View: DataSheet

'====================================================

Opal wrote:
> On Sep 16, 10:41 am, John Spencer <spen...@chpdm.umbc> wrote:
>> You need to calculate the shift.  You could use something like the
>> following.
>>
>> Field: Shift: IIF([TimeField] Between #00:06:00# and
>> #00:07:00#,"Morning, IIF([TimeField] Between #00:14:00# and
>> #00:17:45#,"Afternoon",IIF([TimeField] Between #00:22:00# and
>> #00:23:00#,"Night","Out-Of-Range")))
>>
>> A better solution would be to add a table with the shift names and start
>> and stop times.  Then you could use that in a query to get the shift
>> names.  If the time ranges changed, then  you could edit the table.
>>
>> However, that is more complex to implement in a query since the query
>> cannot be constructed in the query grid and must be built in SQL view.
>>     A simple version of that would be something like the following.
>>
>> Assumptions:
>> Table: ShiftTable with 3 fields
>> ShiftName
>> StartTime
>> EndTime
>> No Overlaps on StartTime and EndTime between records; StartTime always
>> before EndTime; all time ranges encompass only one day (no Start 11 PM,
>> end 2 AM type records)
>>
>> SELECT I.*, S.ShiftName
>> FROM InventoryTable as I INNER JOIN ShiftTable as S
>> On I.TimeField Between S.StartTime and S.EndTime
>>
>> '====================================================
>>   John Spencer
>>   Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
>>   Center for Health Program Development and Management
>>   University of Maryland Baltimore County
>> '====================================================

> Thank you John.  I appreciate your assistance, but I am still a little
> confused.  I have created the table, which is where I thought I should
> begin with this.  But the "Select" statement you wrote has lost
> me....Am I to create a select query with the two tables (Inventory and
> ShiftName) and put this in the criteria?  Sorry, I've just never seen
> a statement like this and
> my exposure to queries has been very basic to this point.

0
John
9/16/2007 5:25:04 PM
On Sep 16, 1:25 pm, John Spencer <spen...@chpdm.umbc> wrote:
> No, what I showed would be the entire query.  To do this, you would need
> to open the query in SQL view.  Menu: View >> SQL
>
> Then you would need to type in the query string.  If you aren't familiar
> with this.  Try the following
>
> Make a new query
> -- Add the new table and the Inventory table to the query
> -- Select the fields you want to display
> -- Drag from inventory.timefield to the startTime field of the new table
> -- Add any where conditions you need/want
> -- Select View: SQL from the menu
>
> -- In the text view look for the text that starts with
>     INVoices INNER JOIN [YourNewTable] ON Invoices.TimeField =
> YourNewTable.StartTime
> -- Replace the = with Between
> -- after StartTime, add " AND YourNewTable.EndTime" (no quotes)
> -- Try to run the query.  View: DataSheet
>
> '====================================================
>   John Spencer
>   Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
>   Center for Health Program Development and Management
>   University of Maryland Baltimore County
> '====================================================
>

> Opal wrote:
> > On Sep 16, 10:41 am, John Spencer <spen...@chpdm.umbc> wrote:
> >> You need to calculate the shift.  You could use something like the
> >> following.
>
> >> Field: Shift: IIF([TimeField] Between #00:06:00# and
> >> #00:07:00#,"Morning, IIF([TimeField] Between #00:14:00# and
> >> #00:17:45#,"Afternoon",IIF([TimeField] Between #00:22:00# and
> >> #00:23:00#,"Night","Out-Of-Range")))
>
> >> A better solution would be to add a table with the shift names and start
> >> and stop times.  Then you could use that in a query to get the shift
> >> names.  If the time ranges changed, then  you could edit the table.
>
> >> However, that is more complex to implement in a query since the query
> >> cannot be constructed in the query grid and must be built in SQL view.
> >>     A simple version of that would be something like the following.
>
> >> Assumptions:
> >> Table: ShiftTable with 3 fields
> >> ShiftName
> >> StartTime
> >> EndTime
> >> No Overlaps on StartTime and EndTime between records; StartTime always
> >> before EndTime; all time ranges encompass only one day (no Start 11 PM,
> >> end 2 AM type records)
>
> >> SELECT I.*, S.ShiftName
> >> FROM InventoryTable as I INNER JOIN ShiftTable as S
> >> On I.TimeField Between S.StartTime and S.EndTime
>
> >> '====================================================
> >>   John Spencer
> >>   Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
> >>   Center for Health Program Development and Management
> >>   University of Maryland Baltimore County
> >> '====================================================

Hi again, John,

Okay, so in SQL view I had:

FROM 1AInventoryTable INNER JOIN ShiftTable ON
[1AInventoryTable].txtTime = ShiftTable.StartTime

and per your instructions I changed it to:

FROM 1AInventoryTable INNER JOIN ShiftTable ON
[1AInventoryTable].txtTime Between ShiftTable.StartTime and
ShiftTable.EndTime

and I get an error:  "Between operator without And in query expression
'[1AInventoryTable].txtTime Between ShiftTable.StartTime'.

0
Opal
9/16/2007 8:09:32 PM
Sometimes the between and will not work.  So try

  FROM 1AInventoryTable INNER JOIN ShiftTable
ON  [1AInventoryTable].txtTime >= ShiftTable.StartTime and
     [1AInventoryTable].txtTime <= ShiftTable.EndTime

'====================================================

Opal wrote:
> On Sep 16, 1:25 pm, John Spencer <spen...@chpdm.umbc> wrote:
>> No, what I showed would be the entire query.  To do this, you would need
>> to open the query in SQL view.  Menu: View >> SQL
>>
>> Then you would need to type in the query string.  If you aren't familiar
>> with this.  Try the following
>>
>> Make a new query
>> -- Add the new table and the Inventory table to the query
>> -- Select the fields you want to display
>> -- Drag from inventory.timefield to the startTime field of the new table
>> -- Add any where conditions you need/want
>> -- Select View: SQL from the menu
>>
>> -- In the text view look for the text that starts with
>>     INVoices INNER JOIN [YourNewTable] ON Invoices.TimeField =
>> YourNewTable.StartTime
>> -- Replace the = with Between
>> -- after StartTime, add " AND YourNewTable.EndTime" (no quotes)
>> -- Try to run the query.  View: DataSheet
>>
>> '====================================================
>>   John Spencer
>>   Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
>>   Center for Health Program Development and Management
>>   University of Maryland Baltimore County
>> '====================================================

> Hi again, John,
>
> Okay, so in SQL view I had:
>
> FROM 1AInventoryTable INNER JOIN ShiftTable ON
> [1AInventoryTable].txtTime = ShiftTable.StartTime
>
> and per your instructions I changed it to:
>
> FROM 1AInventoryTable INNER JOIN ShiftTable ON
> [1AInventoryTable].txtTime Between ShiftTable.StartTime and
> ShiftTable.EndTime
>
> and I get an error:  "Between operator without And in query expression
> '[1AInventoryTable].txtTime Between ShiftTable.StartTime'.

0
John
9/16/2007 11:26:09 PM
On Sep 16, 7:26 pm, John Spencer <spen...@chpdm.umbc> wrote:
> Sometimes the between and will not work.  So try
>
>   FROM 1AInventoryTable INNER JOIN ShiftTable
> ON  [1AInventoryTable].txtTime >= ShiftTable.StartTime and
>      [1AInventoryTable].txtTime <= ShiftTable.EndTime
>
> '====================================================
>   John Spencer
>   Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
>   Center for Health Program Development and Management
>   University of Maryland Baltimore County
> '====================================================
>

> Opal wrote:
> > On Sep 16, 1:25 pm, John Spencer <spen...@chpdm.umbc> wrote:
> >> No, what I showed would be the entire query.  To do this, you would need
> >> to open the query in SQL view.  Menu: View >> SQL
>
> >> Then you would need to type in the query string.  If you aren't familiar
> >> with this.  Try the following
>
> >> Make a new query
> >> -- Add the new table and the Inventory table to the query
> >> -- Select the fields you want to display
> >> -- Drag from inventory.timefield to the startTime field of the new table
> >> -- Add any where conditions you need/want
> >> -- Select View: SQL from the menu
>
> >> -- In the text view look for the text that starts with
> >>     INVoices INNER JOIN [YourNewTable] ON Invoices.TimeField =
> >> YourNewTable.StartTime
> >> -- Replace the = with Between
> >> -- after StartTime, add " AND YourNewTable.EndTime" (no quotes)
> >> -- Try to run the query.  View: DataSheet
>
> >> '====================================================
> >>   John Spencer
> >>   Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
> >>   Center for Health Program Development and Management
> >>   University of Maryland Baltimore County
> >> '====================================================

Thank you, once again.  I can now run the query.  I put test data in
the table to cover all three shift inventory times and ran the query.
One row per shift.  I ran the query and it returned all three
rows....I think I missing additional criteria here......
Sorry for being such a newbie......

0
Opal
9/17/2007 12:49:36 AM
I am sorry, I don't understand what your problem is at this point.  You
should be getting three rows (or more if you are doing multiple dates).
Each shift would be on a separate row.

IF you want all three shifts on the same line, you need to use a cross-tab
query or you need to use three correlated subqueries in the SELECT clause of
your query.

Can you post an example of what you want and what you get.  Also, copy and
paste the SQL statement you are using ( Menu bar -View: SQL)
--
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
University of Maryland Baltimore County
..

> Thank you, once again.  I can now run the query.  I put test data in
> the table to cover all three shift inventory times and ran the query.
> One row per shift.  I ran the query and it returned all three
> rows....I think I missing additional criteria here......
> Sorry for being such a newbie......

0
John
9/17/2007 12:43:09 PM
On Sep 17, 8:43 am, "John Spencer" <spen...@chpdm.edu> wrote:
> I am sorry, I don't understand what your problem is at this point.  You
> should be getting three rows (or more if you are doing multiple dates).
> Each shift would be on a separate row.
>
> IF you want all three shifts on the same line, you need to use a cross-tab
> query or you need to use three correlated subqueries in the SELECT clause of
> your query.
>
> Can you post an example of what you want and what you get.  Also, copy and
> paste the SQL statement you are using ( Menu bar -View: SQL)
> --
> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
> Center for Health Program Development and Management
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
> .
>

> > Thank you, once again.  I can now run the query.  I put test data in
> > the table to cover all three shift inventory times and ran the query.
> > One row per shift.  I ran the query and it returned all three
> > rows....I think I missing additional criteria here......
> > Sorry for being such a newbie......- Hide quoted text -

Thank you John,  I found another way around the problem that works.
I will be back the group soon, however, as I will need to create
calculations within another
query before I can run my report.....I hope you will be around if I
need more help.  Thanks again!

0
Opal

sumifs help

Help !

MS Query variable
Is it possible to pass a variable to an MS query from and excel spreadsheet. ie. can the user enter something into a cell on sheet1 and this be called into an MSquery and the query run on this info? Dean This is certainly possible. However the MSquery results must be returned to excel. You need to access the query properties (right click in the data returned area) and select the Parameters option. This menu option is sensitive to the fact that the query is expecting parameters so ensure that the query is constructed for this first. (MSQuery help hsows you how) Then it is simply a m...

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Use Outlook to send to contacts in a query
Is there a way to set Outlook to send to contacts stored in a query (or a table) WITHOUT just importing them and doing it that way? I want to create a database, set Outlook to look in it, and have it send to contacts whose contact information will be listed in that database. Alan: Yes, there is a way. But have you explored, and rejected, storing contacts in Outlook and creating Outlook Distribution Lists? If you really need to store your contacts in Access, then you could use VBA code in your Access database to start Outlook and send and an email (or Mailitem as Outlook calls it). Y...

exch 5.5 help

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

help...help...help

Need help in data copying.

Macro Help

help me #2

Query to Count "0" in Row
I am trying to create an expression in a query that says if CONTRIBUTION BEGIN year is less then 2006 and the AUTE2 = 00/00/00 then count the number of "0" in the rown and multiply that by 58. This is what I had thought up so far, but I know it isn't right. CONTRIBUTION DUE: IIF([CONTRIBUTION BEGIN], 'yyyy' <2006, AND AUTE2 = 00/00/00, Count "0" And Multiply by 58 Any input is greatly appreciated. -Anthony Morano What kind of data type is being stored in your [AUTE2] field? If that is supposed to be a date, I don't think Access considers #00/00/00...

CString help

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

Your Help is Appreciated

OLE DB Query in Excel
Is it possible to pass parameters to SQL in an OLE DB query within Excel. For example: Select * from property where prop_id = ? Somehow link the parameter to a cell in the spreadsheet or something in like. Thanks. Hi Joe, You can link parameters from your spreadsheet to SQL statements but right off hand I can't remember if you need to do this with a VBA SQL line or you can imbed it directly in an SQL statement. Could you show us the SQL statement or VBA SQL line. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "JOE OROZCO" wrote: > Is it possible to pass parameters to SQL in an OLE...

bcc help

Comparing queries
Hi, I am using a database storing equipment for rooms where I have two queries set up, one listing original equipment and another listing current equipment for room layouts. The two queries work fine independantly, but I now want to compare differences between these where I need to know: 1 - equipment in both original and current rooms. 2 - equipment in original room now missing from current room. 3 - equipment in current room, not required in original room. Regards, Dave. You did not say anything about the table structure so I will go with what you posted. Use a unio...

Rules Wizard Help

More help with formula
I need 2 formulas for the following: Problem 1: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th numbers is those columns are 50 or less then I the sum to go in on column; then the sum of numbers between 51 to 100 to go into anothe column. Problem 2: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th individual number 1-100 is used (3 times, 4 times, 5 times, etc.) tota the I need to show the number of times it was used in the columns. For example: If 1 is used 5 times in columns C thru G then the numbe is 5; the same with 2, th...

help help help IF function
i am new to excell and need help with a problem...... the problem is iam looking for a amount < = 3000.00 and iam to display in bold and in light green i have never had to deal with that i got as far as =IF<=3000 then iam lost or it that even right?? I'm far from a whiz at Excel but I'd use conditional formatting. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "kimmy" <kimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADC77884-FC87-47A3-90F2-D2AAF957F5D1@microsoft.com... >i a...