get column information in access

Hi guys, i am trying to get column information in an access database, is
there any one knows how do we write query on that?

what i m trying to do is to check on a table within the database, and
confirm that there is a column called "Name" and the datatype is text(254)

and is there any place that i can find some reference on queries in access?

thanks a lot

"Name" is a reserved word in Access ... what Access thinks you mean and what
you think you mean may not match.

Access HELP has information on queries.

Search on-line for "MS Access" and "query".

Check the mvps.org/access website.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"Naure" <Naure@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys, i am trying to get column information in an access database, is
> there any one knows how do we write query on that?
>
> what i m trying to do is to check on a table within the database, and
> confirm that there is a column called "Name" and the datatype is text(254)
>
> and is there any place that i can find some reference on queries in
> access?
>
> thanks a lot

0
Jeff
2/13/2008 12:52:57 AM
but how do i get column information in a table ?
in sql server, we have something like:
"SELECT * FROM information_schema.COLUMNS WHERE table_name = 'TableName' and
COLUMN_NAME = 'FieldName'"

but we seem do not have such thing in access

i searched the access help on querires, there is no information about geting
column information (e.g. name of the column, datatype of the column)

thanks a lot

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 16:39:00 -0800, Naure <Naure@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi guys, i am trying to get column information in an access database, is
>there any one knows how do we write query on that?
>
>what i m trying to do is to check on a table within the database, and
>confirm that there is a column called "Name" and the datatype is text(254)
>
>and is there any place that i can find some reference on queries in access?
>
>thanks a lot

Access doesn't have the familiar information schemas. You will need to use VBA
code to examine the Tabledef object. Open the VBA editor and search the help
for Tabledef; the tabledefs collection contains all the tables, each of which
has a Fields collection.
--
             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

any ideas?

thanks a lot
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:47:01 -0800, Naure <Naure@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> so i would have to do it using query or playing with
>Microsoft.Office.Interop.Access.Application objects :(

The latter. There is simply no (documented and usable) table containing the
information that you seek.
--
             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

thank you all for your help.

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:47:01 -0800, Naure <Naure@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> > so i would have to do it using query or playing with
> >Microsoft.Office.Interop.Access.Application objects :(
>
> The latter. There is simply no (documented and usable) table containing the
> information that you seek.
> --
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]

Number format issue Access 2007
Access 2007. I've created a database with a number input and I'm getting the following errors. I've formatted a field as Number Field Size: Single Format: Currency Decimal Places: 0 I'm getting the following results Input 2,065,000,000 but it's rounding it to 2,064,999,936 Input 2,682,000,000 but getting rounded to 2,681,999,872 Any ideas on the reason for this? Do I have that field formatted properly? You help is GREATLY appreciated! (B^>)-]=[ Single is a floating point type. Accuracy is only 7 or 8 significant digits. More info: ...

VLookup to Hide Columns
Hi everyone - I'm still trying to figure out how to perform this one. Within my Timesheet tool, I use a VLookup table, on a data entry page, that contains employee names, departments, etc...... Also on the data entry page, are a number of columns (designated with specific housing programs) where the employee enters their daily hours depending on which program they work in. The thing is that certain employees only work in certain programs where it would be easier if the program columns that the employee does not deal with will "hide" once the employee chooses their names from th...

Q: How to automatically adapt column width with XML format?
Hi. I'm developing an application that outputs its results to an XML file (with Excel XP's DTD). The trouble is the column width, which is set at default. Is there an XML tag which allow to adapt width automatically? I thought about a VBA macro, but I noticed that VBA code isn't stored in XML Excel's files. Thanks in advance, Francesco. ...

Access 2007 Opens Access App as Read Only
Greetings and thank you in advance for any assistance given. I am using Access 2007 on a PC running Vista Business and am having a slight problem. I have an Access application that, whenever I open the application, is opened as "Read Only" and I am forced to do a "Save As" in order to make changes. This is really rather annoying and I would like to make it stop. Is this a UAC issue in Vista or is this an Access 2007 issue? "Louie Landkirk" <LouieLandkirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D0386E5-555C-40C6-BD37-7EA957A550E9@microsof...

A Crystal Beginner

Get paid while you get online!!

Spreadsheet getting corrupted

Columns Compare and Row Insertion Alignment
You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice WCF Workflow Services Using External Data Exchange http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/3d49fa0d-a120-4977-842a-6dafb17b6d74/wcf-workflow-services-usi.aspx ...

How do I get??

Get notified when Out of Office is on

Getting Control ID in Active X control

Get photos from a camera

Excel 2007: Formula bar text flicker, can't access other open workbooks or close Excel.
I am working on a fairly large application that refers to code in several addins. Userforms are used, but there are no shapes, charts, etc. on any worksheet. My problem is that 'randomly', but usually some time after using the main form (that can interact with cells on a worksheet) the test in the formula bar textbox starts flickering like some code is caught in an endless loop. I can interact with Excel at this point, but can't naviagate to other workbooks or even close Excel without ending it's process via TaskManager. The only way to get the flickering to stop is ...

retaining original column widths in excel
How do I retain original column widths when opening excel files sent to me. ...

Access 2007 Runtime 01-22-08
I am looking to update a major Access 2000 database to 2007 but I have been hearing that Access 2007 Runtime has some major bugs that might affect functionality or security. Does anyone know where I can find some clarification about this? Thanks DJ hi it is true that microsoft has been having some major bugs. I have been having some problems too with mine. if I were you, I'd find another database. "DJJ" <gemdjj@writeme.com> wrote in message news:koqlj.27772$8A4.8101@trnddc02... > I am looking to update a major Access 2000 database to 2007 but I have > b...

How do I get my best friend back?
I NEED TO KNOW "monsterboy16" <monsterboy16@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7918DF09-EB34-46E4-852E-8DAAC3FFF45F@microsoft.com... > I NEED TO KNOW Easy. Just lift the lid on your toilet seat and whistle. Dipshit! -- "Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." Pretend that you're in a coma and unable to communicate in any way (such as posting messages in newsgroups). "monsterboy16" <monsterboy16@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...