Format date question

Hi everyone,

I have a textfield that I want to change (with a query) to "yymm".

Format([Datefield];"yyyymm")

is working, but not

Format([Datefield];"yymm")

Which really puzzles me..

It doesn't matter if the the new field is "date" or "text" as long as it
displays yy (2 digits) and mm (2 digits).

Any ideas?

Kindly
Mikael
Sweden

What version of Access?
I just tested with 2003 (US) and it returned 0801 for the current date

A workaround might be to use
Right(Format([Datefield];"yyyymm");4)

AHHH! A  **TEXT** field.  In that case, the format function may be having
trouble converting.  Can you convert the text field to a datetime type
first?

I just tested a text string and it did convert correctly for me if the text
was delimited with dashes or slashes.  However, with periods it did not
convert as desired.

--
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007

"Mikael Lindqvist" <MikaelLindqvist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:53E03E6B-B5A2-44AE-A0F8-5C3574911B31@microsoft.com...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a textfield that I want to change (with a query) to "yymm".
>
> Format([Datefield];"yyyymm")
>
> is working, but not
>
> Format([Datefield];"yymm")
>
> Which really puzzles me..
>
> It doesn't matter if the the new field is "date" or "text" as long as it
> displays yy (2 digits) and mm (2 digits).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Kindly
> Mikael
> Sweden

0
John
1/3/2008 1:06:16 PM
On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 04:49:00 -0800, Mikael Lindqvist
<MikaelLindqvist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I have a textfield that I want to change (with a query) to "yymm".

What's in the textfield now? Without knowing where we're starting, it's a bit
hard to tell you how to go!

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John

How to Change Language of Dates in Outlook Express
I work on the Occupied West Bank, but for some reason my computer thinks it's in South Africa and uses Afrikaans for the outgoing date in OE. I would like to change the language of OE to English, but I can't figure out how. The Help says to get a language encoding download from the Explorer homepage under international, but I can't find it. In any case, that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, since all I am asking for is Microsoft's native language. I am just a regular user, so please be as clear as possible if you have any ideas. Thanks much, Katherine F...

negative number format

Change date format to European format

Formatting just some rows

Count Dates?
I have a range A1:A1500 where the cells have the custom date format of dd.mm.yy However, some cells contain text. I need a formula to COUNT the number of cells that contain dd.mm.yy dates. I was going to try an array SUM(IF(...1,0) which tested for LEN of 8 (the no. of characters in the date fields). But some of the text entries could also contain 8 characters. Can anyone advise how I can count the dates? Many thanks,.....Jason try =SUMPRODUCT((ISNUMBER(H2:H22))*1) -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Jay" <spam@dummyaddress.sp...

Tab Contol Question
I have a form that contains a Tab Control. I would like to setfocus to a specific control on each tab when the tab is activated, but can not find any event that provides this ability when the tab is selected. I can only find "On Click", "On Dbl Click", "On Mouse Down", "On Mouse Up", and "On Mouse Move" which applies to the entire tab area itself, not just the tab name. Am I outside of the box on this one? PosseJohn wrote: >I have a form that contains a Tab Control. > >I would like to setfocus to a specific con...

How to list dates in a month of particular weekday
MY question is simple, sorry if i'm being stupid. Can anyone tell me how can i make a list which contains only dates of all the Fridays in a particular month? In a more advanced sense, can I create a list with all the Fridays AND Saturdays of a month? You didn't post a lot of detail about your setup. Assuming the month number is in A1 and your list of Fridays and Saturdays is to be listed in Column B starting at B1, put these formulas in the indicated cells... B1: =DATE(YEAR(NOW()),$A$1,8)-WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR(NOW()),$A$1,2)) B2: =DATE(YEAR(NOW()),$A$1,8)-WEEKDAY(...

freezing formatting

Excel Upgrade question
We are using MS Office 2000 Professional. We would like to upgrade only the Excel 2000 to 2003. Can we just upgrade Excel without upgrading the whole MS Office suite? If so, should we expect any conflicts when we run MS Word 2000, PowerPoint 2000, etc or can Excel run nicely on it's own? Our systems are 2 year old XP Pro and Home versions. Thanks for any informative response. -- ADArnold ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ADArnold's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=12106 View this thread: http://www.excelf...

Negative number formatting

Format Smartlist field

Enforce format

Conditional Formating Help

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

Date calculation in a Query
I have this expression in a form and it works perfect DateAdd("d",63-Weekday(FirstContact,7),FirstContact) But, where should I write it in a query? The query should show all the items that shoul be removed from the list on the calculated date, and update the "removed from the list" the field from there. Thanks Ioia Add the expression as a calculated field in the query Field: Removal: DateAdd("d",63-Weekday(FirstContact,7),FirstContact) Criteria: = #2009-11-27# Then you can apply criteria against the calculated field. Another option would be...

A Loaded Question...
You folks have been great about answering my questions -- but I'd like to learn more on my own. IU bought John Green's Excel 2000 VBA Programmer's Reference Guide, but it is either too advanced or not laid out right for me. Any suggestions for a good book for beginning - intermediate? I'd like to be able to write macros more effectively. I suspect several of you are authors... any help appreciated. ./RN See one response at your original post. Randy Numbers wrote: > > You folks have been great about answering my questions -- but I'd like to > learn more on...

register questions
I have been using Money 2002 for some time and have had previous money versions. During the last 2 week time period my register quite going back to the beginning. Now all I get is the last 3 years worth of transactions. I have set the view to show all dates. The payees and transactions are still in the database, just need the register to REALLY show ALL dates. Comments? In microsoft.public.money, ballworth@comcast.net wrote: >I have been using Money 2002 for some time and have had >previous money versions. During the last 2 week time >period my register quite going back to t...

When copying from "date" cell to "general" cell, how to keep date.
An Excel question for you: when I try to copy data from a "date" formatted cell over to a concatenate formula in a "general" formatted field, it transfers the data over as the boolean value. This is causing endless headaches because I am trying to upload the information into our financial software. Do you know a solution for this? I think you mean the date comes over as the serial value. If not, this may not be right. In the concatenate function, embed the Text function. ex: A1 has 5/16/2004, B1 has "TEST" in it. C1 formula would be =concatenate (TEX...

Unlocking The Positioning Grid And Printing Question
Hello, Thanks for previous help. Using Excel 97. Two questions, please. a. Something new; never had showup before. On the page that has the data for a chart, I now have blue dashed lines showing, I guess, what the actual page boundaries would be if I printed this data. How do I get rid of this, and also the light grey "Page No.s" that also show up ? b. On my chart, I have some text boxes. They seem to be locked to a specific grid spacing limiting the exact spots I would like them to be. How can I remove this locking, and move them, smoothly, to "anywhere I'd li...

How to format the value in a cell?