Filtering out duplicate data point?

Hi:

I have not worked with MS Access in a while (5 yrs) and need help to filter
150,000 data points.  I am trying to determine unique entries base on several
key criterias.  I did import the data from our database with ease.  Any help
would be great.

Thanks,

Hank

Use a GROUP BY query. List, in the group, the fields that, together, define
'being unique'.  In the select clause, aggregate other fields that 'goes'
with the fields in the group, without defining what is to be consider in
being unique, with LAST  (or with FIRST):

f1        f2        f3                'fields
10    QW       Joe Smith
10    QW        Smith, Joe
11    QW        Mary Ann        ' data

SELECT f1, f2, LAST(f3)
FROM mytable
GROUP BY f1, f2

will return one of the first two record, plus the third record.  Here, f1
and f2 defines what is unique, and f3 is just an 'associated' information.

Hoping it may help,
Vanderghast, Access MVP

"hmanisen" <hmanisen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I have not worked with MS Access in a while (5 yrs) and need help to
> filter
> 150,000 data points.  I am trying to determine unique entries base on
> several
> key criterias.  I did import the data from our database with ease.  Any
> help
> would be great.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hank

0
Michel

Duplicate files open from autorecover
Excel has developed an annoying problem that reinstalling/repair hasn't cured. I haven't changed any settings so I'm not sure what is causing the problem. I have files set to autorecover every 10 minutes. Usually when I've got a file open a very small temporary file (*.TMP, several K only in size) is opened while I'm working with it, but these disappear after I close Excel. What is happening instead is that when autorecover occurs, a second file is opened of the exactly same size as the orginal one -- this second file has the name of the file I'm working with and a nume...

Duplicate pages #2
Bs'd Hi Every body! I'm trying to make a web site... where I want the same body design in all of them, but when I'm tryin to modify the other duplicated pages, instead of changing just one page, it changes all the rest. How do I make possible to modify the rest of the duplicated pages, without modifying all of them!? I'd really appreciate any suggestions! Thanks in advance! Sheila ...

Formatting data labels in pie chart

SQL 2005 Data Encryption
We are upgrading our DB Server to SQL 2005 next year and want to take advantage of Database Encryption for sensitive data in GP such and SSN and Banking Accounts. Has anyone attempted this? Not sure where to start. On Dec 9, 5:18=A0pm, Amanda <Ama...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > We are upgrading our DB Server to SQL 2005 next year and want to take > advantage of Database Encryption for sensitive data in GP such and SSN an= d > Banking Accounts. > > Has anyone attempted this? =A0Not sure where to start. This will not work with GP because you have to encrypt on...

can you update a charts data range automatically in Excel?
In a spreadsheet with multiple charts, is it possible to update the data range and supporting calculations for the charts when you paste new data into the spreadsheet. Calvin If your question is, can you change the data to update the charts, Yes. If not please clarify the question Thanks Vyenktesh "Cal@tech-etch" wrote: > In a spreadsheet with multiple charts, is it possible to update the data > range and supporting calculations for the charts when you paste new data into > the spreadsheet. > > Calvin Calvin - You can set up the charts to use dynamic range...

Criteria for Advanced Filter HELP
I have what I think is a simple question that I need answered IMMEDIATELY. I have a spreadsheet with 20 fields and I want to filter it so it only shows records that have something in of any of 5 of those fields. So once filtered, I will not have any records that have all 5 of those fields blank. I know I have done this before but I'll be damned if I can remember or find out how. -- Thanks You all are teaching me so much don't cross-post -- answer supplied in misc NG "knowshowrosegrows" <knowshowrosegrows@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACBC0...

Employee Filters

Filtering based on a filter
Hello, I have an Excel Worksheet with a Pivot Table at the top with a Filter and a data set returned from a DB2 database below it. I would like to filter the DB2 data set based on the Pivot Table filter that is enabled. Any ideas? Thanks! James, You can't filter two ranges on the same worksheet. You can, instead, drill-down on your pivot table, which will show all items that go into the value on a newly created separate sheet. The drawback to that is that you cna only drill down on one item at a time, and it is a separate sheet. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "James" <an...

Question on the IMF filtering in exchange...
Hey I installed the IMF filter last night and it works great, with one exception. I set both thresholds to the same (5) and got almost all blocked emails into the archive that were junk...So that is good. However I had some users report that there was mail in their junk folder that should have been good Inbox mail. This I undersyand and can live with as folas-positives...the problem is, since both settings on the folter tab were set to 5, how does it know to send the mail to archive rather than Junk folder? Why wouldn't it just send them all to archive if both settings were at ...

comparing data
I have an old A2k db I am trying to normalize, and there are many instances where the same company has been entered multiple times, but typed differently enough to allow the multpile entries (like "Company"; "The Company"; "The Company Inc" etc.). Is there a function that would allow me to compare text data entries that are similar to one another so I can reconcile them into one entry? Kinda like a Find Dups query but obviously these aren't exact dups... TIA -- Any help is greatly appreciated :) There really isn't any easy way of doing what you&...

vlookup for words content when there are duplicate values in the lookup-column
Hi, Would appreciate if someone help me here. Thanks in advance. When I vlookup Material1 to Material2 for the Project No, I get the vlookup Project No. as 222-56 for all the duplicate Material values. What formula to use so that when there are duplicate values in Material2, I want to have vlookup looking to match Project No. containg "AA" as 1st choice ? (if no Project No. containing "AA", then looks for its content "AB" and subsequently looks for "AC" if there is no "AB"). ColumnA ColumnB ColumnC Material2 Duplicate? Project No...

Filtering without Filter
I just don't get the following. Any ideas? "A" row I have two different values I use: "Contact" and "Not a contact". "B" row I have the person's name (employee). "C" row I have a quantity, just one number. Now what I need is to output quantities of how many Contacts Employee1 or Employee2 or Employee3 have. Also what I need is to get the number of contacts - which can be found on row "C". Should I use COUNT.IF ? Row A can have 2 or more different values so should there be somekind of conditional IF function included? T...

Combine columns of data into one
Hi, I want to combine columns of data into one, e.g. to combine column 1, 2 and 3 into column 4 column 1 column 2 column 3 column 4 1 a i 1 2 b ii a 3 c iii i 4 d iv 2 5 e v b 6 f vi ii 7 g vii 3 .... Thanks in advance. I should put the message under other catergory. Sorry about that. In your empyt co...

Filtering #11
Hi, can ayone tell me how I could do the following in excel 2007 or 2010: Horse Trainer Sam M Jones John M Jones Colin S Attwater Steve J Jackson Brian B Mathers James B Mathers Martin G Raggy Patrick S Thomson What I want to do is filter the dataset on 'Trainer' so that it only shows me the Trainers who feature once in the list. So if I was to do this properly it would only show S Attwater and G Raggy as the other trainers have more than one horse..... Hopefully someone can help because it is driving me crazy !! Thanks David Give this macro a try... Sub HideDuplicateTr...

Junk filter BEFORE other filters?
I am running Outlook 2003 and the Junk filter was working really well. Then I started making other filters...one of them looks for my domain name in the headers and if it's there it moves the email to a folder. Problem is, this filter seems to activate before the junk filter, so the junk sn't being filtered now! How can I set the junk filter to do it's job first and THEN to run my own rules? -- Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com> I created this rule and set it as the first rule to run: Apply this rule after the message arrives with 'X-Spam-Level:******'or'...

Pasting into a filtered list
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to paste a list of price updates into a filtered list. - I have filtered the list to show just the products whose prices need to be updated, when I try to paste the updated prices, into the list, the prices are not just pasted into the visible cells but the hidden cells between. Can I paste into the visible cells only or do I have to update each line manually. I am using Excel 2002 Any help would be much appreciated Can you sort the list to bring the products that need updating together in the list? If not, try something like this: Your list of product...

Forumula to Extract Data
I have an Excel spreadsheet with contact information I want to import to a CRM lead system. Current Excel sheet format is all in one column going down as follows: Company Name, Address, City State Zip (all one field), Phone number, then empy cell then repeat of 4 cells listed above. Want to convert to a new .csv file with listing going left to right on on line as follows (ending up with 6 column fields - 1. Company Name 2. Address 3. City 4. State 5. Zip 6. Phone Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? Thanks. Kip The hard part will be parsing the column with City State Zip into thre...

Macro to copy a VLOOKUP formula

Sorting Data by Priority
I am setting up a excel databse that will track computer problems. On sheet 1 I have a User Input Sheet where the user can input their name, the date, description and priority of problem (priority eg: 1: Urgent, 2: can wait for a few days, 4: Nuisance and fixed sometime). I have a process macro on sheet 1 which transfers all the user's inputted data into Sheet Two. I want to sort sheet 2 by the Priority of the problems. Is there any way I can do this without having to select the sheet and having to go to data and Sort? I have sheet 2 linked to Access. Any help with this would be really ap...

Duplicate names in same row
Hello, I have a table that lists names and dates, where each name can appear several times, each paired with a different date. I would like to make a query which would list each name in one row, but add the dates togather into a (horizontal) comma separated list. Can this be done in a query? Or do I have to use VBA to pick data from one table and dump it into another, temporary table? Thanks for any help in advance. :) Try the Crosstab query type and use the wizard if you're not familiar with Crosstab queries. However, based upon the number of columns it generates you could quite po...

apply filter macro
I have a access db that works on win xp but does not work on win 2007 I have a combo box that triggers a apply filter macro using a query sort. no problem on win 2000 or win xp or win 2003 Help AlT ...

IP filtering based on corresponding MX records
Hello Dears, How can I implement the following? Used: Exchange 2003 SP2 in FE/BE configuration; FE is in perimeter zone (capable to “speak” with DNS, BE, DCs and retrieve info) So, somebody connects my FE to sent an e-mail to one of domain users. I need something like that: When connecting, see the “mail from: user@somedomain.xxx”; Verify if there is a record MX for the IP address from which the connection was established in DNS for the domain “somedomain.xxx” If not – drop connection (attention: MX record, not SPF) Is it possible with Exchange 2003 SP2 only? How? Thank you, Alex I be...

Power Point
Microsoft, It is really essential that we be able to SKIP or RESTART slide numbering in Power Point and have it increase automatically --- without having to change each by hand for 100+ slides. Other programs like Word offer this solution (restart numbering, etc). I know how to change start number of slide number 1 to be different (i.e. 3 and continue on in subsequent order by an increment of 1) BUT we have to be able to change the actual numbers of the slides - without doing so manually - and would like to have them adjust the susequent slide numbering automatically, some...

Month Filter
I keep a log of checks that I receive in my department throughout the year. I have the checks listed by date (mm/dd/yy), payee, check #, etc. What I want to do is be able to filter the list by month (ex., March 2005). Is there a way to do this? Thanks Joseph You can Try EasyFilter Joseph http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Joseph" <joe@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23lQNnTawFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... >I keep a log of checks that I receive in my department throughout the year. I have the checks lis...