Extracting data from multiline Spreadsheet

I have a couple of spreadsheets that use multiple lines for each record.
Sample follows:

Name            Address                     City        State        Zip
Contact
John Citizen    111 Some Streeet     Boston    MA        00000
jcit@email.com

                      555-123-4567h

                      555-987-6543c
Jane Doe        222 Another Street    Boston    MA        00000
555-555-6666h

                      jdoe@email.com

There is no order to the contact data.

I need to pull them into a database somehow.

Is there some way to "fill in" the data, programatically, from the above
lines.  (i am looking at about 5000 records)
I know it would repeat the information but at least i could then I can split
the data into separate tables and combine it back with separte fields.

Thanks
Craig

0
Craig

According to your posted sample to only data out of place is SSAN and e-mail.
 If this is true then my approach would be in Excel add a new column to the
left of the now column A.  Use autofill  with  -Row() then copy and Paste
Special - Values.
Copy the worksheet to another - just in case.
Sort and delete all blank rows.  Create new column names for SSAN and e-mail.
Add new column to right of A.
Autofill with    =Find("@", C2) and then sort on B.
Cut all e-mail and paste in e-mail column.
Autofill with    =Find("-", C2) and then sort on B.
Cut all SSAN and paste in SSAN column.
Repeat for where e-mail and SSAN is out of place.
Keep saving and occasionaly copy to new worksheet for safety.
--
KARL DEWEY
Build a little - Test a little

"Craig" wrote:

> I have a couple of spreadsheets that use multiple lines for each record.
> Sample follows:
>
> Name            Address                     City        State        Zip
> Contact
> John Citizen    111 Some Streeet     Boston    MA        00000
> jcit@email.com
>
>                       555-123-4567h
>
>                       555-987-6543c
> Jane Doe        222 Another Street    Boston    MA        00000
> 555-555-6666h
>
>                       jdoe@email.com
>
> There is no order to the contact data.
>
> I need to pull them into a database somehow.
>
> Is there some way to "fill in" the data, programatically, from the above
> lines.  (i am looking at about 5000 records)
> I know it would repeat the information but at least i could then I can split
> the data into separate tables and combine it back with separte fields.
>
> Thanks
> Craig

I've used Monarch from http://www.datawatch.com/ for UNIX spooler files and
it looks like they have integration with Excel too.

Might be another option...

Kelvin

"Craig" <beaky1211@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a couple of spreadsheets that use multiple lines for each record.
>Sample follows:
>
> Name            Address                     City        State        Zip
> Contact
> John Citizen    111 Some Streeet     Boston    MA        00000
> jcit@email.com
>
> 555-123-4567h
>
> 555-987-6543c
> Jane Doe        222 Another Street    Boston    MA        00000
> 555-555-6666h
>
> jdoe@email.com
>
> There is no order to the contact data.
>
> I need to pull them into a database somehow.
>
> Is there some way to "fill in" the data, programatically, from the above
> lines.  (i am looking at about 5000 records)
> I know it would repeat the information but at least i could then I can
> split the data into separate tables and combine it back with separte
> fields.
>
> Thanks
> Craig

0
Kelvin

extracting icons
Is there any way to extract an icon from an application? Take a look at the ExtractIcon[Ex]() API Cheers Check Abdoul --------------------- <davegreb@gpxinc.com> wrote in message news:c6c54da6-574c-4c8e-8ec9-3b77b99a5523@d70g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... > Is there any way to extract an icon from an application? ...

sort data
i am trying, unsuccessfullty, to sort some data (a small example is below) so I can graph it. I want to put it into a pivot table format but don't want calculations, just the actual data. any ideas??/ Location DATE Result WAT002WA ALBANY BOTTOM 19-Jul-05 0.83 WAT002WA ALBANY BOTTOM 23-Jun-05 0.8 WAT002WA ALBANY BOTTOM 28-May-05 1.16 WAT002WA ALBANY BOTTOM 02-May-05 0.93 WAT002WA ALBANY BOTTOM 06-Apr-05 0.66 WAT002WA ALBANY BOTTOM 11-Mar-05 0.59 WAT002WA ALBANY BOTTOM 13-Feb-05 0.54 WAT002WA ALBANY BOTTOM 18-Jan-05 0.62 WAT002WA ALBANY TOP 09-Mar-07 0.73 ...

Matching call data based on date, time and number called to give c
I have the following two tables on different sheets, both containing other information within them that is irrelevant in my question. SHEET 1 Date - Time - Number Called Duration Cost 01/02/10 09:05:21 01234123456 02:16 0.50 SHEET 2 Date - Time Number Called - Duration Extension 01/02/10 09:07:56 01234123456 02:15 1234 01/02/10 15:30:45 01234123456 01:59 1234 Sheet 2 HAS A LOT MORE RECORDS THAN SHEET 1 AND THERE ARE A NUMBER OF CALLS TO THE SAME NUM...

extracting totals from within a spreadsheet
I need to know how to take different information from within a spreadsheet --where two conditions/catogories must apply so that a third column where i have inputed hours, will total for those conditions only... can anyone help? Please spell out what you want we are not mind readers -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Jovetta" <Jovetta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91442C6D-03DF-4FC1-A069-AAB43FA57485@microsoft.com... >I need to know how to take different information from within a spreadsheet > --where two condi...

Extract emails from cells with text
I have a row in column A which includes an email address in the text that I'd like to extract to column B. Is there a formula I can use to accomplish extracting the email address only to column B? Here's an example of different cells in column A: Please email example@law.ufl.edu to contact us...... OR Schedule an appointment for assistance, or email example@uga.edu with your questions... Thank you Try this... All on one line: =TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A1,FIND (" ",A1&" ",FIND("@",A1))-1)," ", REPT(" ",...

data migration of cdf tables to crm
hi, i am trying to implement crm for an organisation. the cdf tables for both accounts and contacts are ready and data is present int he info tables.but the next step of migration is not happening. executing the migration.exe tool shows process completed in the log but verifying the migration_info table shows "not processed" against the corresponding rows.it is not showing any errors but still not migrating. please help. i can use all the help i could get. thank you. "Yamini.P.S" <Yamini.P.S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94FD56E3-3B28-43D...

Appending data in cells that utilize a Dropdown list.
Hello all, I would like to append entries in cells that utilize a dropdown list. Currently, when I select (in this case names) from my dropdown list I cannot append them if I want to add more than one to a cell. If I select another name from the dropdown, it erases the first entry. Is there some way to append entries within cells that use this form of validation so that I can enter more than one in a cell from the dd list? -- Thanks, Geek using Office XP Professional Hi Geek Debra Dalgleish has an example workbook showing how to do this http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html...

Removed content in right columns and limited size of spreadsheet
I was trying to get rid of the contents in the columns to the right of my spreadsheet and instead I accidently deleted everything to the right (area is now grey). Now I can't insert new columns because I have limited the size of the spreadsheet. How can I recover columns to the right? I can't just click undo because I have saved and gone out of the spreadsheet. The data in deleted columns is lost I do not understand how you think you have limited the size of the worksheet That is not possible tell us more best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/...

queries which pull data in multiple "rows" in one table and compar
I have a project to complete where the end user wants me to write several queries which pull data in multiple "rows" in one table and compare them to data in another using access. He also needs a report written based on the findings of which data meets certain criteria within those queries. I think the report part will be pretty easy, but can someone give me some suggestions on what would be the best way to create the queries in access? Thanks Da Chosen One On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 19:22:01 -0800, Da Chosen One <Da Chosen One@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: You...

sending data to com port
Hello, I am using VC++ 6.0 (of Visual studio 6.0) How can I send data to com port via VC++ code ? Need sample code, please. Thanks :) See this article on codeproject..it covers up most of the stuff... http://www.codeproject.com/system/serial_com.asp - Parhar "Eitan" <no_spam_please@nospam.com> wrote in message news:uVpJFP87DHA.1804@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hello, > I am using VC++ 6.0 (of Visual studio 6.0) > How can I send data to com port via VC++ code ? > Need sample code, please. > > Thanks :) > > See the "CSerial" class from Tom...

Data............Group
if I group columns and hide the columns with the + is it possible to give the diferent groups names where they are listed at the top left 1, 2, 3. Not quite sure what you want, but maybe.... View|Custom Views would allow you to hide/show the groups the way you want. Esrei wrote: > > if I group columns and hide the columns with the + is it > possible to give the diferent groups names where they are > listed at the top left 1, 2, 3. -- Dave Peterson ...

data points #3
I have a scatter chart with the following info : sales price, square footage, and subdivision. With the x and y axis being sales price and square footage. There are some entries where i will have several sales in one subdivision and i would like all those points to show up in the same color. How do i get several points to show up in the same color instead of excel assigning each entry a new label? Include all the related points in the same data series, rather than as a different data series for each point. -- David Biddulph "affordablegreen" <affordablegreen@discussion...

Fill text boxes with data from another text box
I have a form that has two sections. Section 1 has orginator name, address, city state, zip. Section two has owner name, address, city, state, and zip. If orginator and owner are the same, I want to just hit a button or check mark to copy data from section one to section two. Can this be done, and how would you do it. Thanks for your help- Porkchop. Porkchop, To copy data from one control (and, hence, field, if the form control source is set to the name of a field in the form's underlying record source), put the following in the AfterUpdate event procedure of the checkbox: If ...

Compile data from several workbooks
I have multiple workbooks for different projects. they are all in separate sub folders. Within each wookbook is a worksheet I call Bug. The Bug sheet pulls the data from that workbook which I need in a separate master workbook. I want to pull the data from every Bug worksheet into my master workbook without having to open each file to force it to update. I can do it cell by cell using a direct link but that is a lot of work. I have compiled a list of each workbook including the path. I can use that path and get the data using =INDIRECT(ADDRESS(2,3,,,F3) where F3 is the path. ...

Query and Extract
Hello all, This seems basic, but I just cannot get it. While using SQL Server 2005 and the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, I created a database called AssetQuote. Inside I have on table called assetquotes. From there, I have three columns, (date, quote, author) The column type for date is datetime and the other two are just text. My Query is something this: INSERT INTO AssetQuote (date, quote, author) VALUES('052010','No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.', 'Aesop'); When I run the query I get this result: Msg 208, ...

extracting individual numbers from "ranges"
I'm trying to get EXCEL to extract stock prices quoted in individual cells as 52-week ranges --e.g. 11.76-19.90-- and do the following calculation: (higher price - lower price)/lower price Obviously, this a problem because each cell appears to handle the range as text or something. Is there are way to get EXCEL to handle the "text" (or however else it is interpreting what's in the cell) as individual numbers? Great thanks for any help. Hi do your entries always look like lower_number-higher_number if yes you may try the following formula in the adjacent row (lets assum...

Recovering Data from MDBDATA
My Server is now not up... As My Global Catalogue Server just crashed. I tried level best to make another but whole effort just was a waste.... Problem is now I have made another server with New Domain. (New One) . How can I retrive mails from MDBData File of the Previus Server. -- Zeshan ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Posted via http://www.webservertalk.com ------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread: http://www.webservertalk.com/message1020038.html www.ontrack.com/powercontrols -- John Oliver, Jr...

extracting hours from a sum of time
I have a cell which sum a bunch of cells containing an elapsed time. The sum totals to more than 24 hours. I have to a cell with a cost per hour and I need to caclculate the total cost. The problem is that the hour function returns values in the range of 0-24. My current sum is 25:30 and the hour function return 1 and not 25. Any ideas how to bypass it? It "returns" the correct number, but doesn't show. Format Custom as [h]:mm and it will. To convert to a number that you can multiply with an hourly rate, first multiply by 24; times in Excel are fractions of a day and a day is s...

data consistency check
How can we perform a data consistency check/fix on the information store and the directory in exchange 5.5 running on a windows 2000 server. Is here any harm in running any tool. Pls advise. Thanks. What is the problem your seeing? -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm "khan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.c...

Repeat data from previous records in a form
I am creating a a form for data entry and want to know if there is a way to repeat data in fields from the previous record (or default to previous record). For example, I user has 100 entries - I would like to set up the form so they do not have to enter their ID each time they enter a record. When you hold the ctrl key and click the apostrophe key ' access copies the contents of the same field from the previous record. This assumes that the new record immediately follows the old record so you may have to sort the source table and requery it after each time a new record is inserted...

Can I sort excel spreadsheet data by fill color of cells?
I have a spreadsheet with data in about 1,000 cells. I occasionally highlight cells by adding yellow color fill to make them standout. I would like to sort the data so that I could move the "highlighted" cells to the top of the sheet. Can this be done? If not, can you suggest a way to accomplish this in the future--ie., use a different font, boldface, etc. that would allow me to sort easily? You could use Conditional Formatting to color the cells. Then you can sort by the condition that caused the color change. Excel won't natively sort by color or formatting. To do ...

Using validation to make data appear or not
I have an array of cells that all rely on a "Y" or "N" value in another cell, and an IF statement to either make the data appear or not appear. It works fine, except that when the data appears and fill, the borders pop up fine. Some of them, however refuse to disappear the same way the data does, yet others do just fine. This includes cell color formatting, which I am able to make stay or go. I just seem to have a problem with some cell retaining persistent border, which go away completely if I remove them, but that isn't what I want. I want them to beh...

transfer data to new computer
I have a new computer and cannot figure out how to transfer my calendar, contacts, etc from the old Outlook to the new. Any help? Thanks Check this page for all you need to know: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "Suzanne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:06b701c3a7eb$40e1f850$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I have a new compu...

Can I extract unique cell values from every nth column?
I have a range that covers B5:XA160. For each row, data is entered in 11-cell groups: date, some numbers, description (a text value), more numbers, and more numbers. At first it was enough to merely count how many times certain descriptions appeared, because those were the only ones we would see - or so the story went. Now, I need to extract the unique descriptions AND provide a count! Actually, I'm cheating a bit. I'm using SUMPRODUCT to return the number of times the expected descriptions appear, and by subtracting these from the total number of text values I get a count of &quo...