Euro symbol in queries

I have an Access front end to a SQL Server 2005 database using ODBC linked
tables. There appears to be a problem when using the euro symbol in queries.

SELECT *
FROM tbl_Datatable
WHERE (tbl_Datatable.strPRICE)='?40';    (the ? should be a euro symbol
Alt+0128. it appears that even just posting causes the same problem)

This query returns nothing although there are many entries with a strPRICE
of '?40'

SELECT *
FROM tbl_Datatable
WHERE (tbl_Datatable.strPRICE)='$40';

This query returns all with a strPRICE of '$40'

How do I use the symbol in queries?

Regards

Colin

0
Col

Why don't you just store the number in SQL Server?  Then you don't have to
worry about translating a euro character between database engines and ODBC
etc.

"Col" <newsletteraccount@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an Access front end to a SQL Server 2005 database using ODBC linked
> tables. There appears to be a problem when using the euro symbol in
> queries.
>
> SELECT *
> FROM tbl_Datatable
> WHERE (tbl_Datatable.strPRICE)='?40';    (the ? should be a euro symbol
> Alt+0128. it appears that even just posting causes the same problem)
>
> This query returns nothing although there are many entries with a strPRICE
> of '?40'
>

> SELECT *
> FROM tbl_Datatable
> WHERE (tbl_Datatable.strPRICE)='$40';
>
> This query returns all with a strPRICE of '$40'
>

> How do I use the symbol in queries?
>
> Regards
>
> Colin

0
Aaron
11/18/2007 10:19:11 PM
"Col" <newsletteraccount@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an Access front end to a SQL Server 2005 database using ODBC linked
> tables. There appears to be a problem when using the euro symbol in
> queries.
>
> SELECT *
> FROM tbl_Datatable
> WHERE (tbl_Datatable.strPRICE)='?40';    (the ? should be a euro symbol
> Alt+0128. it appears that even just posting causes the same problem)
>
> This query returns nothing although there are many entries with a strPRICE
> of '?40'
>

> SELECT *
> FROM tbl_Datatable
> WHERE (tbl_Datatable.strPRICE)='$40';
>
> This query returns all with a strPRICE of '$40'
>

> How do I use the symbol in queries?
>
> Regards
>
> Colin

You mean you store the price as a string?! Why? I'd say that entering a euro
symbol will be the least of your problems.

--
David Portas

0
David
11/18/2007 10:37:10 PM
You have a code page translation problem because the code page on the server
is not the same as the code page (either OEM or Window) used by your client.

If you are using a passthrough query, try adding the prefix N before the
string constant:

SELECT *
FROM tbl_Datatable
WHERE (tbl_Datatable.strPRICE)=N'�40';

If this doesn't work, then replace the ANSI type of the field with an
Unicode type: instead of using the types char, varchar and text; use the
types nchar, nvarchar and ntext.  Notice that even with these Unicode types,
you must still add the N prefix before all string constants for all your
passthrough queries (but not for you JET queries).

It's possible to have the euro symbol without using Unicode; however, it
will be a moving target.

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC

"Col" <newsletteraccount@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an Access front end to a SQL Server 2005 database using ODBC linked
> tables. There appears to be a problem when using the euro symbol in
> queries.
>
> SELECT *
> FROM tbl_Datatable
> WHERE (tbl_Datatable.strPRICE)='?40';    (the ? should be a euro symbol
> Alt+0128. it appears that even just posting causes the same problem)
>
> This query returns nothing although there are many entries with a strPRICE
> of '?40'
>

> SELECT *
> FROM tbl_Datatable
> WHERE (tbl_Datatable.strPRICE)='$40';
>
> This query returns all with a strPRICE of '$40'
>

> How do I use the symbol in queries?
>
> Regards
>
> Colin

0
Sylvain
11/19/2007 12:06:33 AM
You are not writing SQL at all; you are faking COBOL mixed with 1960's
BASIC.

1) Do not put prefixes to tell the compiler what the physical storage
structure is.  We only have tables in SQL anyway!

2) Do not put prefixes to tell the compiler what the physical storage
data type is.  BASIC had to use $ for strings because of a one-pass
interpreter in the old days; this is SQL.

3) you need a better data element name, such as "foobar_price" that
follows ISO-11179 rules.

4) Prices are numeric data, and require numeric data types.  Look up
the rules for Euros (triangulation, required decimal places, etc.);
what you have is going to give illegal results.

5) Why are you formatting data in the back end?  The basic principle
of a tiered architecture is that display is done in the front end and
never in the back end.  This is a more basic programming principle
than just SQL and RDBMS.
0
CELKO
11/19/2007 2:20:13 PM
Thanks Sylvain,

The strPRICE field may contain many prices separated by commas. This is
defined in SQL Server as nvarchar(125)
I'm trying to run the query in an Access front end so the =N'?40' does not
work.
I'll look into the code page issue

Regards

Colin

"Sylvain Lafontaine" <sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)>
wrote in message news:uvNAPAkKIHA.5328@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> You have a code page translation problem because the code page on the
> server is not the same as the code page (either OEM or Window) used by
> your client.
>
> If you are using a passthrough query, try adding the prefix N before the
> string constant:
>
> SELECT *
> FROM tbl_Datatable
> WHERE (tbl_Datatable.strPRICE)=N'?40';
>
> If this doesn't work, then replace the ANSI type of the field with an
> Unicode type: instead of using the types char, varchar and text; use the
> types nchar, nvarchar and ntext.  Notice that even with these Unicode
> types, you must still add the N prefix before all string constants for all
> your passthrough queries (but not for you JET queries).
>
> It's possible to have the euro symbol without using Unicode; however, it
> will be a moving target.
>
> --
> Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
> MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC
> E-mail: sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)
>

> "Col" <newsletteraccount@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have an Access front end to a SQL Server 2005 database using ODBC linked
>> tables. There appears to be a problem when using the euro symbol in
>> queries.
>>
>> SELECT *
>> FROM tbl_Datatable
>> WHERE (tbl_Datatable.strPRICE)='?40';    (the ? should be a euro symbol
>> Alt+0128. it appears that even just posting causes the same problem)
>>
>> This query returns nothing although there are many entries with a
>> strPRICE
>> of '?40'
>>

>> SELECT *
>> FROM tbl_Datatable
>> WHERE (tbl_Datatable.strPRICE)='$40';
>>
>> This query returns all with a strPRICE of '$40'
>>

>> How do I use the symbol in queries?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Colin

0
Col
11/20/2007 12:38:54 AM
If the field is defined as nvarchar on the SQL-Server then I'm very, very
surprised that you have any problem with the euro symbol.  By using Unicode,
you shouldn't have any problem.   It's possible that the date are mixed up
on the table and that the euro symbol is not really represented by the euro
symbol in the table.

Create a passthrough query and verify that the unicode value for the euro
character is 8364 and not something else:

SELECT unicode (left (NameOfYourField, 1)) from NameOfYourTable.

What ODBC driver are you using and what kind of collation have been defined
for the database/table/column?  Also, is the "Perform Translation for
character data" correctly checked in the DSN options?

--

> Thanks Sylvain,
>
> The strPRICE field may contain many prices separated by commas. This is
> defined in SQL Server as nvarchar(125)
> I'm trying to run the query in an Access front end so the =N'?40' does not
> work.
> I'll look into the code page issue
>
> Regards
>
> Colin
>
> "Sylvain Lafontaine" <sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)>
> wrote in message news:uvNAPAkKIHA.5328@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> You have a code page translation problem because the code page on the
>> server is not the same as the code page (either OEM or Window) used by
>> your client.
>>
>> If you are using a passthrough query, try adding the prefix N before the
>> string constant:
>>
>> SELECT *
>> FROM tbl_Datatable
>> WHERE (tbl_Datatable.strPRICE)=N'?40';
>>
>> If this doesn't work, then replace the ANSI type of the field with an
>> Unicode type: instead of using the types char, varchar and text; use the
>> types nchar, nvarchar and ntext.  Notice that even with these Unicode
>> types, you must still add the N prefix before all string constants for
>> all your passthrough queries (but not for you JET queries).
>>
>> It's possible to have the euro symbol without using Unicode; however, it
>> will be a moving target.
>>
>> --
>> Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
>> MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC
>> E-mail: sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)
>>

>> "Col" <newsletteraccount@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have an Access front end to a SQL Server 2005 database using ODBC
>>>linked
>>> tables. There appears to be a problem when using the euro symbol in
>>> queries.
>>>
>>> SELECT *
>>> FROM tbl_Datatable
>>> WHERE (tbl_Datatable.strPRICE)='?40';    (the ? should be a euro symbol
>>> Alt+0128. it appears that even just posting causes the same problem)
>>>
>>> This query returns nothing although there are many entries with a
>>> strPRICE
>>> of '?40'
>>>

>>> SELECT *
>>> FROM tbl_Datatable
>>> WHERE (tbl_Datatable.strPRICE)='$40';
>>>
>>> This query returns all with a strPRICE of '$40'
>>>

>>> How do I use the symbol in queries?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Colin

0
Sylvain
11/20/2007 8:36:48 AM
Hi Sylvain,

The query returns the correct character. MSAccess shows the correct
character in table view, but when used in a query, converts it to a '?'

SELECT unicode (left (strPRICE, 1)), left (strPRICE, 1) from tbl_Datatable

8364 ?
8364 ?
8364 ?
8364 ?

wrote in message news:epTmCC1KIHA.1184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> If the field is defined as nvarchar on the SQL-Server then I'm very, very
> surprised that you have any problem with the euro symbol.  By using
> Unicode, you shouldn't have any problem.   It's possible that the date are
> mixed up on the table and that the euro symbol is not really represented
> by the euro symbol in the table.
>
> Create a passthrough query and verify that the unicode value for the euro
> character is 8364 and not something else:
>
> SELECT unicode (left (NameOfYourField, 1)) from NameOfYourTable.
>
> What ODBC driver are you using and what kind of collation have been
> defined for the database/table/column?  Also, is the "Perform Translation
> for character data" correctly checked in the DSN options?
>
> --
> Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
> MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC
> E-mail: sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)
>

> "Col" <newsletteraccount@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Sylvain,
>>
>> The strPRICE field may contain many prices separated by commas. This is
>> defined in SQL Server as nvarchar(125)
>> I'm trying to run the query in an Access front end so the =N'?40' does
>> not work.
>> I'll look into the code page issue
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> "Sylvain Lafontaine" <sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)>
>> wrote in message news:uvNAPAkKIHA.5328@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> You have a code page translation problem because the code page on the
>>> server is not the same as the code page (either OEM or Window) used by
>>> your client.
>>>
>>> If you are using a passthrough query, try adding the prefix N before the
>>> string constant:
>>>
>>> SELECT *
>>> FROM tbl_Datatable
>>> WHERE (tbl_Datatable.strPRICE)=N'?40';
>>>
>>> If this doesn't work, then replace the ANSI type of the field with an
>>> Unicode type: instead of using the types char, varchar and text; use the
>>> types nchar, nvarchar and ntext.  Notice that even with these Unicode
>>> types, you must still add the N prefix before all string constants for
>>> all your passthrough queries (but not for you JET queries).
>>>
>>> It's possible to have the euro symbol without using Unicode; however, it
>>> will be a moving target.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
>>> MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC
>>> E-mail: sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)
>>>

>>> "Col" <newsletteraccount@hotmail.com> wrote in message

0
Col
11/22/2007 10:46:16 PM
I'm still surprised that you have any problem and I cannot reproduce this
problem on my machine.  The fact that it display correctly in the table view
indicate that there is no problem on the SQL-Server side.

Maybe the current font used in Access on your machine for displaying the
result of this query is not capable of displaying the euro symbol.  How are
you using this query exactly and what version of Access and Windows are you
using?

--

> Hi Sylvain,
>
> The query returns the correct character. MSAccess shows the correct
> character in table view, but when used in a query, converts it to a '?'
>
> SELECT unicode (left (strPRICE, 1)), left (strPRICE, 1) from tbl_Datatable
>
> 8364 ?
> 8364 ?
> 8364 ?
> 8364 ?
>
> Regards
>
> Colin
>
> "Sylvain Lafontaine" <sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)>
> wrote in message news:epTmCC1KIHA.1184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> If the field is defined as nvarchar on the SQL-Server then I'm very, very
>> surprised that you have any problem with the euro symbol.  By using
>> Unicode, you shouldn't have any problem.   It's possible that the date
>> are mixed up on the table and that the euro symbol is not really
>> represented by the euro symbol in the table.
>>
>> Create a passthrough query and verify that the unicode value for the euro
>> character is 8364 and not something else:
>>
>> SELECT unicode (left (NameOfYourField, 1)) from NameOfYourTable.
>>
>> What ODBC driver are you using and what kind of collation have been
>> defined for the database/table/column?  Also, is the "Perform Translation
>> for character data" correctly checked in the DSN options?
>>
>> --
>> Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
>> MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC
>> E-mail: sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)
>>

>> "Col" <newsletteraccount@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks Sylvain,
>>>
>>> The strPRICE field may contain many prices separated by commas. This is
>>> defined in SQL Server as nvarchar(125)
>>> I'm trying to run the query in an Access front end so the =N'?40' does
>>> not work.
>>> I'll look into the code page issue
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Colin

0
Sylvain
11/23/2007 7:22:05 AM
Hi Sylvain,

I'm trying to get a recordset from the query built with VB

    If Left(strPRODCOST, 3) = "US$" Then
        strCUR = "US$"
    ~....~
    ElseIf Left(strPRODCOST, 1) = "?" Then
        strCUR = "?"
    Else
        strCUR = "�"
    End If

    strSQL = "SELECT tbl_Datatable.strPRICE"
    strSQL = strSQL & " FROM tbl_Datatable"
    strSQL = strSQL & " WHERE LEFT(tbl_Datatable.strPRICE," & Len(strCUR) &
") = '" & strCUR & "'"

    Set ds = DB.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenDynaset)
    If Not (ds.BOF And ds.EOF) Then
        ds.MoveFirst
        etc...

The recordset works fine for other currency symbols but is always empty for
Euro.

I am using MSAccess XP on Windows XP and SQL Server 2005

wrote in message news:%23ZIkPGaLIHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> I'm still surprised that you have any problem and I cannot reproduce this
> problem on my machine.  The fact that it display correctly in the table
> view indicate that there is no problem on the SQL-Server side.
>
> Maybe the current font used in Access on your machine for displaying the
> result of this query is not capable of displaying the euro symbol.  How
> are you using this query exactly and what version of Access and Windows
> are you using?
>
> --
> Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
> MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC
> E-mail: sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)
>

> "Col" <newsletteraccount@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Sylvain,
>>
>> The query returns the correct character. MSAccess shows the correct
>> character in table view, but when used in a query, converts it to a '?'
>>
>> SELECT unicode (left (strPRICE, 1)), left (strPRICE, 1) from
>> tbl_Datatable
>>
>> 8364 ?
>> 8364 ?
>> 8364 ?
>> 8364 ?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> "Sylvain Lafontaine" <sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)>
>> wrote in message news:epTmCC1KIHA.1184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> If the field is defined as nvarchar on the SQL-Server then I'm very,
>>> very surprised that you have any problem with the euro symbol.  By using
>>> Unicode, you shouldn't have any problem.   It's possible that the date
>>> are mixed up on the table and that the euro symbol is not really
>>> represented by the euro symbol in the table.
>>>
>>> Create a passthrough query and verify that the unicode value for the
>>> euro character is 8364 and not something else:
>>>
>>> SELECT unicode (left (NameOfYourField, 1)) from NameOfYourTable.
>>>
>>> What ODBC driver are you using and what kind of collation have been
>>> defined for the database/table/column?  Also, is the "Perform
>>> Translation for character data" correctly checked in the DSN options?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
>>> MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC
>>> E-mail: sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)
>>>

>>> "Col" <newsletteraccount@hotmail.com> wrote in message

0
Col
11/26/2007 2:07:50 AM
I would suppose that strProdcost and "?" don't contain the Euro symbol.
Replace your strCur with the exact representation of the Euro symbol and
display the strSQL in a MsgBox to make sure that it is OK.  Use the AscW()
function to make sure that the result is OK and repeat the test by replacing
the value of the Euro symbol with ChrW(8364):

    Dim db As Database
    Set db = CurrentDb

    Dim strsql
    strsql = "SELECT tbl_Datatable.strPRICE from tbl_Datatable"

    Dim ds As DAO.Recordset
    Set ds = db.OpenRecordset(strsql, dbOpenDynaset, dbSeeChanges)

    While Not ds.EOF
        MsgBox ds("strPRICE ") & ": " & AscW(Left(ds("strPRICE "), 1))
        ds.MoveNext
    Wend

Repeat with:

    strsql = "SELECT tbl_Datatable.strPRICE from tbl_Datatable where left
(s, 1) = '�'"

        (Put the Euro symbol here between the two single quotes ' )

And:

    strsql = "SELECT tbl_Datatable.strPRICE from tbl_Datatable where left
(s, 1) = '" & ChrW(8364) & "'"

Like with the passthrough query, AscW should give 8364.  Finally, I don't
understand that you didn't need the option dbSeeChanges on a linked
SQL-Server table with a primary key.  Is there a primary key on this table?

--

> Hi Sylvain,
>
> I'm trying to get a recordset from the query built with VB
>
>    If Left(strPRODCOST, 3) = "US$" Then
>        strCUR = "US$"
>    ~....~
>    ElseIf Left(strPRODCOST, 1) = "?" Then
>        strCUR = "?"
>    Else
>        strCUR = "�"
>    End If
>
>    strSQL = "SELECT tbl_Datatable.strPRICE"
>    strSQL = strSQL & " FROM tbl_Datatable"
>    strSQL = strSQL & " WHERE LEFT(tbl_Datatable.strPRICE," & Len(strCUR) &
> ") = '" & strCUR & "'"
>
>    Set ds = DB.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenDynaset)
>    If Not (ds.BOF And ds.EOF) Then
>        ds.MoveFirst
>        etc...
>
> The recordset works fine for other currency symbols but is always empty
> for Euro.
>
> I am using MSAccess XP on Windows XP and SQL Server 2005
>
> Regards
>
> Colin
>
> "Sylvain Lafontaine" <sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)>
> wrote in message news:%23ZIkPGaLIHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> I'm still surprised that you have any problem and I cannot reproduce this
>> problem on my machine.  The fact that it display correctly in the table
>> view indicate that there is no problem on the SQL-Server side.
>>
>> Maybe the current font used in Access on your machine for displaying the
>> result of this query is not capable of displaying the euro symbol.  How
>> are you using this query exactly and what version of Access and Windows
>> are you using?
>>
>> --
>> Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
>> MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC
>> E-mail: sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)
>>

>> "Col" <newsletteraccount@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Sylvain,
>>>
>>> The query returns the correct character. MSAccess shows the correct
>>> character in table view, but when used in a query, converts it to a '?'
>>>
>>> SELECT unicode (left (strPRICE, 1)), left (strPRICE, 1) from
>>> tbl_Datatable
>>>
>>> 8364 ?
>>> 8364 ?
>>> 8364 ?
>>> 8364 ?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Colin

0
Sylvain
11/26/2007 5:16:39 AM
Of course, don't forget to apply AscW() to strProdCost in order to verify
it, too.

--

wrote in message news:%23HV%23Ju%23LIHA.4136@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> "Sylvain Lafontaine" <sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)>
>> wrote in message news:%23ZIkPGaLIHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> I'm still surprised that you have any problem and I cannot reproduce
>>> this problem on my machine.  The fact that it display correctly in the
>>> table view indicate that there is no problem on the SQL-Server side.
>>>
>>> Maybe the current font used in Access on your machine for displaying the
>>> result of this query is not capable of displaying the euro symbol.  How
>>> are you using this query exactly and what version of Access and Windows
>>> are you using?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
>>> MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC
>>> E-mail: sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)

0
Sylvain

Running a Parameter Query off more than one Multi-Select list box
I have finally been able to create a form with a multi-select list box and a command button where a click of the command button opens a query with the selections in the multi-select list box as its criteria. So far so good... now I am wanting to use more than one multi-select list box as the criteria for the query. The code I used to successfully run a query off a multi-select list box is as follows (with Command6 being the name of my command button, TESTQ being the name of my parameter query, MyTable being the name of the table my list box gets its values from, MyTableID the name of the fi...

Macro to insert a symbol
I am trying to write a mini macro to insert the sum symbol as text in a cell. In the macro, I record "insert, symbol", double-click the sum symbol, click "insert", click"close",enter, then "stop recording". The sum symbol correctly displays when the macro is created, but when I run it again it always displays a "?". I know that I must be making a very simple mistake here...can someone save me from my stupidity? Thanks, Using the Character Map (in System Tools), the Sigma character is available as U+03A3 on the numeric keypad. This might be ...

IIf statement in query criteria 12-08-09
I am having a problem with the iif statement when I use it in the criteria for a query for a combo box (Combo2) that is based on the selection of another combo box (Combo1) Essentially, what I am trying to do is show all choices in combo2 if there has not been a selection in Combo1; And show a filtered selection in Combo2 if there is a selection in Combo1. I am trying to do this using the iif statement when setting the criteria in the Combo2 query. iif (isnull(combo1), No Criteria is Set, Criteria is set) I am having trouble with the "No Criteria is Set" part of...

Convert Euro date to Julian
I have a euro date such as 20040902 and I need to convert it to 9/2/2004. I actually was successful previously using "text to columns" and then formatting but I have forgotten. Anyone run into this? Hi what do you mean with 'forgitten'?. You find this feature in the menu 'Data - Text to columns'. for formatting goto 'Format - Cells' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany KJ wrote: > I have a euro date such as 20040902 and I need to convert > it to 9/2/2004. I actually was successful previously > using "text to columns" and then ...

WDF to get the symbolic Name
HI, How I get the symbolic name from a device name by WDF macro or APIs ? My client driver can get a device Name form bus driver, but I don't know how to get the symbolic name by WDF. Thank you. I am not sure to have understood your request, but... the function QueryDosDevice can retrieve the ntdevicename from a dosdevicename, or the full list of all ntdevicenames. So if you have a dosdevice name you can get the ntdevicename directly, otherwise, you can obtain the full list and scan it, until you find the searched one ntdevice. To create and remove symbolic links y...

Searching for ", " in a query
This is driving me nuts. I have a query where I want to extract records in which a given field contains a comma followed by a space. I thought *, * would work but I keep getting an error about invalid comma usage. I've tried putting the comma in square brackets but that doesn't work either. What's the proper syntax to find ", " within a text string? Thanks. Brian On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 16:10:17 -0700, "Brian Smith" <dcg_brian@hotmail.com> wrote: >This is driving me nuts. > >I have a query where I want to extract records in which a given fi...

Query of excluded items
I am designing a database to track training. I have a query that tell me the mandatory classes, and I have a table with the classes taken data (date taken, expires, etc). What I need is a query that show me the classes taken that are not mandatory. Example: Query 1: Mandatory Classes Employee ID, Class # 1 1 1 2 1 3 1 4 Table 2: Classes Taken Employee ID, Class # 1 1 1 2 1 8 1 9 Desired Query Results Classes taken but...

Product Key Query
I have a mac office 2004 product with 3 product keys. What has happened is that i installed it, it read the product key and then nothing happened... so I wasted a whole product key. Can i get help so I can re-use it and also help with the installation. I have a macbook - white - 2.00GHz In article <1170142126.740171.250590@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>, airplanes.simmons@gmail.com wrote: > I have a mac office 2004 product with 3 product keys. What has > happened is that i installed it, it read the product key and then > nothing happened... so I wasted a whole produ...

Male Symbol
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am looking for a small male symbol to put next to my name in my signature in Entourage. Please advise, and thank you. celticson@officeformac.com wrote: > I am looking for a small male symbol to put next to my name in my > signature in Entourage. Please advise, and thank you. Can I assume you mean the "mail" symbol such as the small envelope icon and not the symbol for man? ;-) Do this: 1. Go to Apple menu --> System Preferences... --> International --> Input Menu. 2. At the top of the l...

Euro Symbol in Excel
Windows 2000 Pro operating system and Excel 2002. Can anyone tell me how to get the Euro symbol on my keyboard to work? It works on all other Office text processors but not on Excel. I have the same problem on Windows XP Pro on my laptop - the Euro key just prints out a bar; the same with the ASCII or hex codes. "James Mandeville" <james@21stcenturyview.com> wrote in message news:08a101c38340$aa393f90$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Windows 2000 Pro operating system and Excel 2002. > Can anyone tell me how to get the Euro symbol on my > keyboard to work? It works on all oth...

Logic. What is better to creat a form from? A table or a query?
I've seen responses to my and other people problems and I've noticed that the gurus will sometimes recommend creating a form based on a query. Can someone explain why that would be more beneficial or prudent rather than creating a form directly from a table? Or, maybe I misunderstood and it doesn't really matter. Either way, I was hoping to have a little more light shed on the subject. I'm rather new at using Acess and want to start off on the right foot before I get to far into my database. Thanks in advance. On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:39:01 -0800, David K. ...

how to find and replace a symbol in my worksheet
I need help with finding and then replacing a symbol in my worksheet. In the find and replace box there is no way to insert a symbol there. I have tried to cut and paste as well as to insert the symbol in the find box. If anyone has an idea on how to replace a bullet with a comma please let me know. Thanks TC TC In the Replace What: box you would hold down the ALT key then hit the ascii code number on the NumPad. Bullets are usually ALT + 0149 So.........select the cells. Edit>Replace what: ALT + 0149 you will not see anything in the what: box, but it is there. with: , Replace...

Euro Symbol
Hi all, on clicking the currency symbol on the formatting toolbar (Excel 2000) I keep getting the � sign. To use the Euro symbol ?, I have to take the long route - Format > Cells > Currency and specifiy the Euro symbol. Is there any way of changing the currency symbol on the formatting toolbar to apply the Euro and not the � sign. Regards & thanks, Sketcher. Yes there is. <Format> <Style>, Expand the "StyleName" box, and click on "Currency". Then click on the "Modify" button, And you see the "Format Cells" window that you&#...

null data not showing up if "is null" query criteria
have a a database with one column with sparse empty cells. when querying for those empty cells i use the "isnull" criteria. the results show nothing which makes me think there is something in that cell. how do i look for an empty cell? The criteria would actually be: Is Null -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP If I have helped you, please help me by donating to UCP http://www.access.hookom.net/UCP/Default.htm "tcek" wrote: > have a a database with one column with sparse empty cells. when querying for > those empty cells i use the "isnull" c...

XPath query problem w-attributes
In a C# app I have an XPath query where I am trying to return a single node based on the value of 2 different attributes. The xml looks something like this: <TESTS> <TEST SAMPLE_NUMBER="1" TEST_NUMBER="1"/> <TEST SAMPLE_NUMBER="1" TEST_NUMBER="2"/> <TEST SAMPLE_NUMBER="2" TEST_NUMBER="1"/> <TEST SAMPLE_NUMBER="2" TEST_NUMBER="2"/> </TESTS> From the TESTS node I am calling the SelectSingleNode() method like this: XmlNode testNode = testsNode.SelectSingleNode(...

Detla symbol in code
Hi Group, I have a cell where I am trying to put in some text: ActiveCell.Offset(1, 5).Value = "7DayΔ" but I am unable to get the Δ character to work. Possibly I have to use unicode? Thanks, David Try this: Sub dk() MyText = "7DayD" Range("B2") = MyText Range("B2").Characters(5, 5).Font.Name = "Symbol" End Sub "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:95D51594-C209-40B7-A613-9A5791FA8F4E@microsoft.com... > Hi Group, > > I have a cell where I am trying to put ...

Euro 2008 spreadsheet
Just have a look at this EURO 2008 spreadsheet. Its quite light and useful. It also have an online version. Excel users follow this link http://exceltemplates.blogspot.com/2008/06/euro-2008-spreadsheet.html For online version follow this link http://googsprs.blogspot.com/2008/06/euro-2008-spreadsheet.html ...

Query Access 2007
Hello all, I have an ODBC linked table (to an AS/400 server). I created a query (make table) where I inserted a calculated field to know the volume of a marble block : Volume:[mextc]*[mextl]*[mexte]. As these values are in Centimeters I need to complete this with: Volume:[mextc]*[mextl]*[mexte]/100000 Unfortunatly, in my table, the result is not what I expected! I get 0; 1 ; 5;.. don't understand that! I checked the properties of my new table and for the new field Volume I get those properties: Field Size : Decimal Precision: 10 Scale:0 I tryed to change this but no big results. Can...

Counting Summary in Reports/Queries
I know this is covered but I have spend more time trying the solutions rather than find the one I really need. I have Workstations that belong to Branches and I need to count how many Workstations are in each branch. The Branches field is a Combo Box if that matters. I have 10 Branches. I need to create a summary of all the branches. IE: COB 5 IAAS 25 PGO 3 I tried =Sum(ABS([BranchShort] = "IAAS")) and get error "This expression is typed incorrectly, or it is too complex to be evaluated. A Numberic expression may contain too many complicated elements. Try si...

Tables and Queries...
Hi, Ok, so I've got an Access DB with maybe 40 tables, and maybe 200 queries. Is there a quick and simple way of working out which queries reference a specific table? I believe that some of the tables may be redundant, but I'm a bit nervous about deleting them just in case a rarely used query makes a reference to one. I'm hoping the answer is not that I need to open each query in 'edit' mode and visually check what tables are referenced... :-/ Thanks! -- Regards, Chris. (Remove Elvis's shoes to email me) Right click the table and select Object Dependanci...

msn money stock quotes options symbol changes
Since the change to stock options symbols I have been unable to get stock option pricing. I have tried several forms of the new symbols (I cant seem to find a definitive description of the proper symbols) and nothing works. I have seen a couple references online by people that claim they got it to function but they don't include any working examples. Will the msn money stock quotes addin continue to work with stock options, and if so, please give an explanation and more importantly at least one actual working example. ...

How to pass a query string to an html page using IWebBrowser2
I'm trying to pass a URL to IWebBrowser2 embedded on a dialog that looks something like: "file://c:/MyHTMLPage.html?class=MYCLASS" the part after the ? is meant to be used by some scripting code in the HTML page. This gives me an "Action canceled" page on the first try and a "This page cannot be displayed" page on subsequent tries. What is the proper method of doing this? I am using the IWebBrowser2::Navigate() method. Thanks, Drew ...

query to lookup
I have a data base that has a tblstudent table, with a 1 to many relationship with table tblPrograms. TblPrograms has a field that has program codes (field prProgramCode) in it. I have another table tblExceleratedClasses which lists all the program codes (field ecProgramCode) of just the program codes of the excellerated clases. I would like to do a query which list every student once and if they have one or more program codes that are in the ecProgramCode field of table tblExceleratedClasses to print "yes" in a coloum and if not leave it blank. I assume I am using an IIF sta...

lookup table in select query
I am trying to build a select query to select records based on the field QUARTER. QUARTER is a text field in table med error and is entered in the table as a lookup field using data from the table QUARTER INPUT. The table QUARTER INPUT only has two fields, QUARTER (the index key), and Quarter Description. The QUARTER is input as 0704 for instance (YYQQ). When entering "0704" in the criteria field, nothing is found in the query. If I put in Like "1" or Like "2", then data for a particular quarter appears. I thought that the lookup field would store the index...

Web Query for Multiple Tables
Hello, Can anyone please help me with this? I'm trying to get stock quote data from Yahoo. I want to download the data for 400 hundred stocks, and I'd like to put each in a *different* worksheet. Specifically, I want the information in pages such as http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=msft and I need table number 18 from these pages. (That page is for Microsoft -msft-; I'd like to download several different quotes). So i would need perhaps a macro that does the following: -Take http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=msft , table 18, and store that in worksheet 1 -Take http://finance.yahoo.com/q?...