DateDiff function throwing error in Where clause

I have a set of queries that generate dates and want to use DateDiff to
select those records with certain dates are greater than others. The
following clause keeps giving me an incompatible data type error:

WHERE DateDiff('d',[From date],[DatumStvoreni])>0

I have the exact expression in the SELECT clause and it show positive and
negative integers just fine, but when I add this test, I get the error.
There are no bad values in the dataset, I've looked, and when I export the
DateDiff column to a temp table and run a query on that, it works fine. Only
when I use the test directly with the DateDiff function does it bomb. I also
tried putting CDate() around the field expressions and it didn't help.

Pete

--
This e-mail address is fake, to keep spammers and their address harvesters
out of my hair. If you want to get in touch personally, I am 'pdanes' and I

0
Petr

"Petr Danes" <skruspammers@no.spam> wrote in message
> I have a set of queries that generate dates and want to use DateDiff to select those
> records with certain dates are greater than others. The following clause keeps giving me
> an incompatible data type error:
>
> WHERE DateDiff('d',[From date],[DatumStvoreni])>0
>
> I have the exact expression in the SELECT clause and it show positive and negative
> integers just fine, but when I add this test, I get the error. There are no bad values
> in the dataset, I've looked, and when I export the DateDiff column to a temp table and
> run a query on that, it works fine. Only when I use the test directly with the DateDiff
> function does it bomb. I also tried putting CDate() around the field expressions and it
> didn't help.

I get an error when I use single quotes.  I have to use this:

DateDiff("d",[From date],[DatumStvoreni])

The whole expression I tried was this:

WHERE (DateDiff("d",[From date],[DatumStvoreni])>0)

Tom Lake

0
Tom
5/3/2010 6:23:34 PM
Tried that as well - no soap. Sometimes I get a message that the query was
too complicated and can't be evaluated. Here's the whole thing:

SELECT Stvoreni_Convert.DatumStvoreni, DateDiff("d",[From
date],[DatumStvoreni]) AS Rozdil, Stvoreni_Convert.AkcesPodrobnostiAutoID
INTO STV
FROM Stvoreni_Convert
WHERE (((DateDiff("d",[From date],[DatumStvoreni]))>0));

The source of that query is this one (Stvoreni_Convert):
SELECT Stvoreni.Stvoreni, getdate([stvoreni]) AS DatumStvoreni,
Stvoreni.AkcesPodrobnostiAutoID
FROM Stvoreni
WHERE (((getdate([stvoreni]))<>''));

and the source of that one is here(Stvoreni):
SELECT IIf(InStrRev(nz([Inventarizace]),Chr(13) &
Chr(10))>0,Mid(nz([Inventarizace]),2+InStrRev(nz([Inventarizace]),Chr(13) &
Chr(10))),nz([Inventarizace])) AS Stvoreni,
AkcesPodrobnosti.AkcesPodrobnostiAutoID
FROM AkcesPodrobnosti
WHERE (((nz([Inventarizace]))<>'') AND ((AkcesPodrobnosti.EvidenceLetter) Is
Not Null));

AkcesPodrobnosti is a table, with Inventarizace as a memo field.
Getdate is a VBA function extracts a date from a mess of text and returns it
as a string.

All the preceding works fine, until I add the WHERE clause in the top query.

Pete

"Tom Lake" <toml_12953@hotmail.com> p�se v diskusn�m pr�spevku

> "Petr Danes" <skruspammers@no.spam> wrote in message
>> I have a set of queries that generate dates and want to use DateDiff to
>> select those records with certain dates are greater than others. The
>> following clause keeps giving me an incompatible data type error:
>>
>> WHERE DateDiff('d',[From date],[DatumStvoreni])>0
>>
>> I have the exact expression in the SELECT clause and it show positive and
>> negative integers just fine, but when I add this test, I get the error.
>> There are no bad values in the dataset, I've looked, and when I export
>> the DateDiff column to a temp table and run a query on that, it works
>> fine. Only when I use the test directly with the DateDiff function does
>> it bomb. I also tried putting CDate() around the field expressions and it
>> didn't help.
>
> I get an error when I use single quotes.  I have to use this:
>
> DateDiff("d",[From date],[DatumStvoreni])
>
> The whole expression I tried was this:
>
> WHERE (DateDiff("d",[From date],[DatumStvoreni])>0)
>
> Tom Lake

0
Petr
5/3/2010 6:37:06 PM
I just tried the last query in another form, using a direct comparison
instead of the DateDiff function. Same error.

SELECT Stvoreni_Convert.DatumStvoreni, CDate([DatumStvoreni]) AS Rozdil,
Stvoreni_Convert.AkcesPodrobnostiAutoID INTO STV
FROM Stvoreni_Convert
WHERE (((CDate([DatumStvoreni]))>CDate([From date])));

Pete

"Tom Lake" <toml_12953@hotmail.com> p�se v diskusn�m pr�spevku

> "Petr Danes" <skruspammers@no.spam> wrote in message
>> I have a set of queries that generate dates and want to use DateDiff to
>> select those records with certain dates are greater than others. The
>> following clause keeps giving me an incompatible data type error:
>>
>> WHERE DateDiff('d',[From date],[DatumStvoreni])>0
>>
>> I have the exact expression in the SELECT clause and it show positive and
>> negative integers just fine, but when I add this test, I get the error.
>> There are no bad values in the dataset, I've looked, and when I export
>> the DateDiff column to a temp table and run a query on that, it works
>> fine. Only when I use the test directly with the DateDiff function does
>> it bomb. I also tried putting CDate() around the field expressions and it
>> didn't help.
>
> I get an error when I use single quotes.  I have to use this:
>
> DateDiff("d",[From date],[DatumStvoreni])
>
> The whole expression I tried was this:
>
> WHERE (DateDiff("d",[From date],[DatumStvoreni])>0)
>
> Tom Lake

0
Petr
5/3/2010 6:40:26 PM
You sure you've got valid values for both fields in every row?

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

>I just tried the last query in another form, using a direct comparison
>instead of the DateDiff function. Same error.
>
> SELECT Stvoreni_Convert.DatumStvoreni, CDate([DatumStvoreni]) AS Rozdil,
> Stvoreni_Convert.AkcesPodrobnostiAutoID INTO STV
> FROM Stvoreni_Convert
> WHERE (((CDate([DatumStvoreni]))>CDate([From date])));
>
> Pete
>

> "Tom Lake" <toml_12953@hotmail.com> p�se v diskusn�m pr�spevku
>>
>> "Petr Danes" <skruspammers@no.spam> wrote in message
>>> I have a set of queries that generate dates and want to use DateDiff to
>>> select those records with certain dates are greater than others. The
>>> following clause keeps giving me an incompatible data type error:
>>>
>>> WHERE DateDiff('d',[From date],[DatumStvoreni])>0
>>>
>>> I have the exact expression in the SELECT clause and it show positive
>>> and negative integers just fine, but when I add this test, I get the
>>> error. There are no bad values in the dataset, I've looked, and when I
>>> export the DateDiff column to a temp table and run a query on that, it
>>> works fine. Only when I use the test directly with the DateDiff function
>>> does it bomb. I also tried putting CDate() around the field expressions
>>> and it didn't help.
>>
>> I get an error when I use single quotes.  I have to use this:
>>
>> DateDiff("d",[From date],[DatumStvoreni])
>>
>> The whole expression I tried was this:
>>
>> WHERE (DateDiff("d",[From date],[DatumStvoreni])>0)
>>
>> Tom Lake

0
Douglas
5/3/2010 9:00:34 PM
Pretty sure - when I show the values without trying a compare, I don't see
anything wrong, and when I change the query to spin the DateDiff value out
to a table, the table contains only valid integers, positive and negative. I
can subsequently sort on that integer column and see that there is nothing
bad at either end. I can also select only the positive ones to get the
records I want, but creating an unnecessary temp table is an awkward way to
do it. The comparison should work.

Pete

"Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_gmail.com> p�e v diskusn�m
p��sp�vku news:e6r7sOw6KHA.1424@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> You sure you've got valid values for both fields in every row?
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no private e-mails, please)
>

> "Petr Danes" <skruspammers@no.spam> wrote in message
>>I just tried the last query in another form, using a direct comparison
>>instead of the DateDiff function. Same error.
>>
>> SELECT Stvoreni_Convert.DatumStvoreni, CDate([DatumStvoreni]) AS Rozdil,
>> Stvoreni_Convert.AkcesPodrobnostiAutoID INTO STV
>> FROM Stvoreni_Convert
>> WHERE (((CDate([DatumStvoreni]))>CDate([From date])));
>>
>> Pete
>>

>> "Tom Lake" <toml_12953@hotmail.com> p�se v diskusn�m pr�spevku
>>>
>>> "Petr Danes" <skruspammers@no.spam> wrote in message

>>> I get an error when I use single quotes.  I have to use this:
>>>
>>> DateDiff("d",[From date],[DatumStvoreni])
>>>
>>> The whole expression I tried was this:
>>>
>>> WHERE (DateDiff("d",[From date],[DatumStvoreni])>0)
>>>
>>> Tom Lake

0
Petr
5/4/2010 12:31:39 AM
Never did find any answers to this, even when comparing dates directly in
the WHERE clause and avoiding the DateDiff function altogether, so I wound
up converting all my dates to strings, formatted as 'yyyy-mm-dd' and used
ordinary string comparisons to get what I needed.

Year-month-day is the only universally correct way to show dates anyway, but
it's pretty lame that dates can't be compared directly.

Pete

"Petr Danes" <skruspammers@no.spam> p�e v diskusn�m p��sp�vku
>I have a set of queries that generate dates and want to use DateDiff to
>select those records with certain dates are greater than others. The
>following clause keeps giving me an incompatible data type error:
>
> WHERE DateDiff('d',[From date],[DatumStvoreni])>0
>
> I have the exact expression in the SELECT clause and it show positive and
> negative integers just fine, but when I add this test, I get the error.
> There are no bad values in the dataset, I've looked, and when I export the
> DateDiff column to a temp table and run a query on that, it works fine.
> Only when I use the test directly with the DateDiff function does it bomb.
> I also tried putting CDate() around the field expressions and it didn't
> help.
>
> Pete
>

> --
> This e-mail address is fake, to keep spammers and their address harvesters
> out of my hair. If you want to get in touch personally, I am 'pdanes' and
> I use yahoo mail. But please use the newsgroup when possible, so that all
> may benefit from the exchange of ideas.

0
Petr

LNK2019 error when trying to export class from dll
I am creating a DLL using MS VStudio C++ 2003. I have created a class in the DLL that I am wanting to export. Everything compiles with the exception of getting a linker error 2019 related to the constructor and destructor. I have 2 functions that are not a part of the class that are exported, one that returns a pointer to the class and the other which destroys the object. I have defined DLL_EXPORTS in the project settings- >preprocessor. Can someone Tell me what the problem is? I am posting the header file below along iwth the source. any help is greatly appreciated. BTW...I am new...

"A communication error occurred" error message
Help! I've tried everything I know... version: MS Money 2005, v14.0.125.1105 (latest one) Problem: When trying to import an .ofx file into my account, I get the stupid "A communication error occurred. Please try your call again. If you continue to have problems call your financial institution's Online Services Customer Support." "Please try your call again?" Please! What kind of error message is this when it's not applicable to what I'm trying to do! Anyway... Details: - The last time I updated the account was on 3/20, so until then, I was able to ...

DateDiff and Count/Sum
I am trying to count records where the scheduled date is greater than the current date. All Dates (past visits and scheduled visits) are listed in the Date of Awareness field. The expressions I have tried include: =IIF(DateDiff("d", [Date of Awareness], Date()>1,1,0)) =Abs(Sum([Date of Awareness]> Date())) Please let me know if I am even on the right track. -Caro Where are you doing this? In a query? Could you use a query, include the [Date of Awareness] field, and in the criteria, use something like (untested): >Date() Good luck! Regards Jeff...

Error 0x80040116
I get a message "The file ~outlook.pst could not be accessed. Data error (cyclic redunancy check). Upon doing a google search for the solution, it seems I need to run a file called "pst2gb.exe". Does anyone know where to get this file. Or another solution to this.thx. ...

a buttload of 550 SMTP errors
We are experiencing a bunch of problems with outgoing messages on our exchange server. The problem frequently occurs when we send messages to distribution groups that contain people external to our organization, however I believe they occasionally occur when mail is sent directly to the individual. The bounce back messages come from our server (smexec-mail.kpdexech.com in the examples below). They're mostly 550 error variations that seem to indicate a problem with our server's SMTP communication with the recipients mail server. Can anyone offer any suggestions? joe@blat-blat.com on ...

Sum and DateDiff
Hi, I doing a calculation in a query of the difference in times. I'm wondering if I can control the decimal precision to be just (2) places. The number I end up with is ie; 5.6666666666, can I have this to round off to something like 5.67? Here is the query expression I'm using for this; TotalTime: Sum(DateDiff("n",[StartTime],[EndTime])/60) Thanks you, On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 19:33:30 -0700, Kelly <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, >I doing a calculation in a query of the difference in times. I'm wondering >if I can control t...

Users are Receiving Duplicate Errors
Users are Receiving Duplicate Errors when they try to add a new opportunity. How do I troubleshoot? ...

cell function
I am not sure what I am doing here but my question is: I want a cell that will receive a variable number from its formula to show the number in red if it exceeds a certain value. If that is to difficult than I need the cell to display inop or something like that Dick B Format>conditional formatting, cell value greater than x click format button and select red fonts and click OK twice replace x with the value you want to test for -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Dick B" <DickB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49103F1B-8DFD-4A19-BDEC-DC2829F6274E@micro...

Error in COntacts
Hi Somtimes when i entered the contact form through the laptop client I get an error (after some reentering i succeed ) and than some of the crm toolbars are disapperead do you know what is the reason for this error ? the laptop client is doing a lot of troubles - what can I do ... -- Thx, Omry This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_08E5_01C737FC.F108CAC0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable What version of Outlook are you running? What anti-virus add-ins are = you running? Do you have any more in...

DateDiff Error
I have two identical forms, each with a DOB field and an Age field. I'm using the following expression to display the age in each form: =DateDiff("yyyy",[DOB],Now())+Int(Format(Now(),"mmdd")<Format([DOB],"mmdd")) On one form, it works perfectly. In the other form, I get a #Name? error. Why would it work in one form, but not the other? I was wondering if it was a formatting difference for the DOB field, but that isn't it. Thanks for thelp. Never mind, now it works. I don't have a clue why, but it does. Oh well. "Gntlhnd...

Advanced Find Error 09-15-06
Hi All, We are getting SQL Server timeout error, when we go to advanced find and click on Find button. It was working well, but suddenly we are getting this error. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Ashwani ...

Functions in VBA
In a particular situation, I wanted to calculate several values on a worksheet through a macro. But, I find that some of the vital functions are not available in VBA. For example - LEN() is not available in VBA. Is there any workaround for this? Second question - again on fundamental VBA. A1=10 A2=15 B1=5 B2=20 Sometimes, when I check through VBA if Range("A1")+Range("A2") = Range("B1")+Range("B2") this condition evaluates to false, because either of the values would be something like 25.000000000000000178 or something like that. (Then I check the va...

Ignoring hidden rows in PERCENTILE function
Hello, I'm trying to summarize results of autofiltered content. I've used the subtotal function to provide average, min, max, and count - but I also need to provide 25th and 75th percentile values, which can not be calculated with subtotal. So, I need to use the =PERCENTILE function but only apply it to visible cells. I'm not good enough with vba to write something to make this happen. :\ If you can help and have the time, I'd be grateful. Thanks! Brad ...

Are there any advanced formula error checking add-ins for Excel?
I often have to review large and complex models in excel and find the formula auditing and error checking tools inadequate. Are there any add-ins which help with this, or has anyone written macros that can review spreadsheet fomulas? The subroutine listed below: Makes a new sheet when it is run The new sheet lists the cell and a text version of the formula from the sheet which was active when Sub was run Try it on a dummy workbook Not mine own but I forget where I got it from - it original coder reads this please accept my thanks. Sub ListFormulas() Dim FormulaCells As Range, Cell...

Runtime Error?
When I close a window in Outlook (not when I send a message, but if I close one, or close Outlook), I get the following error: Runtime Error! Program: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Outlook.exe abnormal program termination Any ideas, other than reinstalling? Thanks! Doreen I am having the same issue with a workstation....any advice? "Doreen" <doreo715@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e9ojepAGEHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > When I close a window in Outlook (not when I send a message, but if I close > one, or close Outlook), I get the following error...

Pivot Table Error
I am having a problem with a pivot table (Excel 2007). I can create the table - but am limited to the number of fields I place in it and also cannot add a calculated item. When I try and go beyond about 3 Row fields or when I try to add a calculated item I receive the message "There are too many records to complete this operation". I have a new computer with more than enough memory - so that shouldn't be the problem. Any ideas as to what may be causing the problem? Note: I have tried to limit the data in the table further - to a point where I know that the Piv...

Error Code 646
i like everyone else, everytime i window update always received these up dates and i am on vista and i keep getting error code 646, when you look in to it there is any help at all. i've tryed all sort of way and nothink works. If posible can any one help???? Security Update for Microsoft Works 8 (KB973636) Download size: 4.6 MB Security Update for Microsoft Office Visio Viewer 2007 (KB973709) Download size: 2.5 MB Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB974234) Download size: 525 KB Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB972581) i...

Application error
Lately I have been getting the following error when I shutdown or restart my PC: {2(or whatever the number is) Reminders: OUTLOOK.EXE - Application Error The instruction at 0x6c6852d3 referenced memory at 0x6c6852d3. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program.} The only changes to my PC have been MS updates. I have Office 2007 and Vista Ultimate Do you have Service Pack 2 for Office 2007 installed? (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B444BF18-79EA-46C6-8A81-9DB49B4AB6E5&displaylang=en) Does this happen even if you start...

if then function
In an if then statement, how do I get the value to be a result for instance If b12>b13, then b12*5% hi, =if(condition, true, false) =if(B12>B13,B12*.05,something else) >-----Original Message----- >In an if then statement, how do I get the value to be a >result for instance If b12>b13, then b12*5% >. > >-----Original Message----- >In an if then statement, how do I get the value to be a >result for instance If b12>b13, then b12*5% >. > I had this problem which i eventually solved my slef using this =IF(C5>C6,C37,IF(C5<C6,C6-C5,IF(C5=0,C8+C...

Webpart Deployment is not working(error: COM factor error)
Hi All, Can any one provide me the solution for below stated issue which can be appreciated. We designed a webpart which contains 'Drop down' and 'Generate Report' button. The 'Generate Report' button functionality has been working well in development environment (while accessing the site from the same machine where the solution is deployed) but not in with the deployed solution site URL from different machine. While debugging the code at test environment we got the 'COM factor error' while creating Ms Word application object to generate word ...

datediff
Hallo, ich m�chte mit der Datediff Funktion die Anzahl der Tage ermitteln die im aktuellen Monat vergangen sind. Mein Versuch datediff("d";01.04.2007;datum()) f�hrt leider zu einem Fehler. Was mache ich falsch. vielen Dank im Voraus. Gru� Axel On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:43:56 +0200, "Axel Ahrens" <axel.ahrens@freenet-ag.de> wrote: >Hallo, > >ich m�chte mit der Datediff Funktion die Anzahl der Tage ermitteln die im >aktuellen Monat vergangen sind. > >Mein Versuch datediff("d";01.04.2007;datum()) f�hrt leider zu einem Fehler. > >...

How do I protect work sheet against the "Delete" function?
I have a shared worksheet full of textual data (names). I want the users to be able to freely move the data around the sheet by simple pointer movement or through cut and paste. However, deleting any data (even if immediate re-entering elsewhere is intended) must not be allowed in any circumstance. Is this possible? If so, how? Thanks Kevin Nurse If I had to do this, I think I'd provide a macro that did exactly what I wanted done and no more. I'd protect the worksheet and then ask the user to select the from range and to range and do the copy in code (also unprotecting and th...

not functioning
I just installed Micorsoft Office XP Professional from the CD with no problem. However, whenever I click on file, then click on new and then attempt to click on any item listed in the drop down menu I receive a dialog box with Microsoft Outlook and a yellow exclamation point. Also, included in the dialog box are the words could not open the item, try again. Could you please tell me what the problem might be and how to fix it since the program is of no use to me in its current conditon? ...

CountIF function #9
How does one get to arrange in numerical order How many times each number occurs from a large column and rows of numbers? Thanks for any help. Assuming your data is in A1:G100 In H1:H10 enter the number 1 to 10 in I1 enter the formula =COUNTIF($A$1:$G$100,H1) Copy this formula down I2:I10 This will give a count of the numbers 1 to 10 within the range of data. Amend range and values to suit. -- Regards Roger Govier "mdk" <mdk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0CFAF60E-650E-4AAF-B23E-AA1E44A0BF5C@microsoft.com... > How does one get to arrange in numerical...

using a conditional in STDEV function
I would like to use the STDEV function on a set of cells that have been indicated by a conditional statement. I have tried a variety of ways and have not been able to get it to work using others suggestions. I am wondering if anyone knows. I have Excel 2007, I am not sure if this has affected my results. Below is one thing that I tried, that seemed to have worked for others. =STDEV(IF((C2:C204)*(P2:P204>0),P2:P204,"")) When looking at the array it returns the value of 15 for every cell that is in the specified range. Thanks. Researcher Your formula: =STDEV(I...