Date differential between a full date and a date that has a year and month.

Date Differential between full date (month, day, year) and partial date
(month and day).

Really need you help on this one.

I am trying to write a QBE expression that identifies if the an employee's
last performance evaluation date (e.g. 07/15/2007 a full date with month, day,
and year) is within one year of the employee's anniversary date of hire (e.g.
12/15 just the month and day--no year).  If it is, the evaluation date will
be tagged as "current."

If the evaluation  date (e.g. 11/10/2007)is within 60 days of  the
anniversary month (e.g. 12/15) I will tag the evaluation date as "Pending."

And if the evaluation date (e.g. 10/20/07) is greater than 60 days from the
anniversary month (e.g. 07/25) than the evaluation will be tagged as "Overdue.
"

How can I use a DateDiff to express these conditions in a QBE expression?

Thanks,

Scotty

0
scottypws

Perhaps this as the calculated field -- be sure to test thoroughly for all
your desired scenarios:

PerformanceReviewStatus:
IIf(DateDiff("d",[PerformanceEvaluationDateFieldName],
DateSerial(Year(Date())-(Format(Date(),"mmdd")>Replace([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],
"/","",1,-1,1)), CLng(Left([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],2)),
CLng(Right([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],2))))<365, "Current",
IIf(Abs(DateDiff("d",[PerformanceEvaluationDateFieldName],
DateSerial(Year(Date())-(Format(Date(),"mmdd")>Replace([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],
"/","",1,-1,1)), CLng(Left([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],2)),
CLng(Right([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],2)))))<=60, "Pending", "Overdue"))

--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"scottypws" <u39271@uwe> wrote in message news:7b8cb60855c42@uwe...
> Date Differential between full date (month, day, year) and partial date
> (month and day).
>
> Really need you help on this one.
>
> I am trying to write a QBE expression that identifies if the an employee's
> last performance evaluation date (e.g. 07/15/2007 a full date with month,
> day,
> and year) is within one year of the employee's anniversary date of hire
> (e.g.
> 12/15 just the month and day--no year).  If it is, the evaluation date
> will
> be tagged as "current."
>
> If the evaluation  date (e.g. 11/10/2007)is within 60 days of  the
> anniversary month (e.g. 12/15) I will tag the evaluation date as
> "Pending."
>
> And if the evaluation date (e.g. 10/20/07) is greater than 60 days from
> the
> anniversary month (e.g. 07/25) than the evaluation will be tagged as
> "Overdue.
> "
>
> How can I use a DateDiff to express these conditions in a QBE expression?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scotty

0
Ken
11/21/2007 3:52:40 PM
Thanks for your prompt response.  The expression took in the QBE; but
unfortunately, I acquired the infamous #Error output for the Current and
Pending conditions; but the default Overdue appeared.

Ken Snell (MVP) wrote:
>Perhaps this as the calculated field -- be sure to test thoroughly for all
>your desired scenarios:
>
>PerformanceReviewStatus:
>IIf(DateDiff("d",[PerformanceEvaluationDateFieldName],
>DateSerial(Year(Date())-(Format(Date(),"mmdd")>Replace([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],
>"/","",1,-1,1)), CLng(Left([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],2)),
>CLng(Right([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],2))))<365, "Current",
>IIf(Abs(DateDiff("d",[PerformanceEvaluationDateFieldName],
>DateSerial(Year(Date())-(Format(Date(),"mmdd")>Replace([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],
>"/","",1,-1,1)), CLng(Left([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],2)),
>CLng(Right([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],2)))))<=60, "Pending", "Overdue"))
>
>> Date Differential between full date (month, day, year) and partial date
>> (month and day).
>[quoted text clipped - 25 lines]
>>
>> Scotty

scottypws
11/22/2007 7:37:39 AM
I cannot reproduce the #Error result; double-check for typos, etc. Be sure
you changed all generic field names to your actual names.

I am not convinced that this expression will produce all the results that
you want -- primarily because the logic that you posted for how to decide
whether something is overdue or current or pending seems to be incomplete
with regard to deciding which "year" to attach to an anniversary date so
that the "days" comparison can be made properly. (For example, you said hat
an evaluation date within one year of an anniversary date maeans that the
evaluation is Current; yet, you then say if the dates are withing 60 days,
the evalatuion is either Pending or Overdue -- without apecific year to
attach to an anniversary date, this comparsion seems to be extraneous, so I
anticipate that you need to expand your logic to encompass all
possibilities.) Go through your decision logic and see if additional
criterioa can be provided to enhance this expression's usefulness, and then
we can assist in more detail.

It also would help if you post specific examples, using data values for the
two different fields, that will show how the logic is to be applied.
Remember, without a year value in the anniversary date field, the expressoin
will need to "assign" a year to the date in order to do a proper evaluation.
--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"scottypws via AccessMonster.com" <u39271@uwe> wrote in message
> Thanks for your prompt response.  The expression took in the QBE; but
> unfortunately, I acquired the infamous #Error output for the Current and
> Pending conditions; but the default Overdue appeared.
>

> Ken Snell (MVP) wrote:
>>Perhaps this as the calculated field -- be sure to test thoroughly for all
>>your desired scenarios:
>>
>>PerformanceReviewStatus:
>>IIf(DateDiff("d",[PerformanceEvaluationDateFieldName],
>>DateSerial(Year(Date())-(Format(Date(),"mmdd")>Replace([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],
>>"/","",1,-1,1)), CLng(Left([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],2)),
>>CLng(Right([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],2))))<365, "Current",
>>IIf(Abs(DateDiff("d",[PerformanceEvaluationDateFieldName],
>>DateSerial(Year(Date())-(Format(Date(),"mmdd")>Replace([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],
>>"/","",1,-1,1)), CLng(Left([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],2)),
>>CLng(Right([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],2)))))<=60, "Pending",
>>"Overdue"))
>>
>>> Date Differential between full date (month, day, year) and partial date
>>> (month and day).
>>[quoted text clipped - 25 lines]
>>>
>>> Scotty

Ken
11/22/2007 4:04:46 PM
Wow!  You're right!  Ididn't see the contradiction between pending and
current, unless I make Current 1 year minus 2 months prior to the Anniversary
Month and Day and retain Pending within 60 days prior to the Anniversary
Month and Day.
The issue you raise regarding which year has always been the lynchpin of the
problem.  When a new employee enters our organization, the date of original
hire is titled "Anniversary Date" (which is a real contradiction to what an
anniversary date should be and is used to calculate retirement benefits).
Each year on the actual anniversary of the original "Anniversary Date , which
is static, we have to use the anniversary month and day as the basis to
calculate Current, Pending, and Overdue performance evaluations.  So now you
see the crux of my problem.  It would be neat if the personnel system
automatically updates an actual report due date based on the original
anniversary date.  Perhaps what I can do is to create a field that switches
the original anniversary year to the next projected year and use that year as
the basis for the expression.

Anyway, I really appreciate your assistance and just by corresponding with
you gave me a little better understanding of what we are facing to produce an
working expression that meets our needs.

Thanks again,

Scotty
Human Resource Consultant 3

Ken Snell (MVP) wrote:
>I cannot reproduce the #Error result; double-check for typos, etc. Be sure
>you changed all generic field names to your actual names.
>
>I am not convinced that this expression will produce all the results that
>you want -- primarily because the logic that you posted for how to decide
>whether something is overdue or current or pending seems to be incomplete
>with regard to deciding which "year" to attach to an anniversary date so
>that the "days" comparison can be made properly. (For example, you said hat
>an evaluation date within one year of an anniversary date maeans that the
>evaluation is Current; yet, you then say if the dates are withing 60 days,
>the evalatuion is either Pending or Overdue -- without apecific year to
>attach to an anniversary date, this comparsion seems to be extraneous, so I
>anticipate that you need to expand your logic to encompass all
>possibilities.) Go through your decision logic and see if additional
>criterioa can be provided to enhance this expression's usefulness, and then
>we can assist in more detail.
>
>It also would help if you post specific examples, using data values for the
>two different fields, that will show how the logic is to be applied.
>Remember, without a year value in the anniversary date field, the expressoin
>will need to "assign" a year to the date in order to do a proper evaluation.
>> Thanks for your prompt response.  The expression took in the QBE; but
>> unfortunately, I acquired the infamous #Error output for the Current and
>[quoted text clipped - 19 lines]

scottypws
11/22/2007 5:35:20 PM
Try this -- I've modified the test for "current" status result:

PerformanceReviewStatus:
IIf(DateDiff("d",[PerformanceEvaluationDateFieldName],
DateSerial(Year(Date())-(Format(Date(),"mmdd")>Replace([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],
"/","",1,-1,1)), CLng(Left([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],2)),
CLng(Right([EmployeeAnniversaryDateField],2)))) Between 61 And 365,

> [...]
>>attach to an anniversary date, this comparsion seems to be extraneous, so
>>anticipate that you need to expand your logic to encompass all
>>possibilities.) Go through your decision logic and see if additional
>>criterioa can be provided to enhance this expression's usefulness, and
>>then
>>we can assist in more detail.
>>
>>It also would help if you post specific examples, using data values for
>>the
>>two different fields, that will show how the logic is to be applied.
>>Remember, without a year value in the anniversary date field, the
>>expressoin
>>will need to "assign" a year to the date in order to do a proper
>>evaluation.
>>> Thanks for your prompt response.  The expression took in the QBE; but
>>> unfortunately, I acquired the infamous #Error output for the Current and

Ken

filter by date and action

Transaction Date VS Business Date

Post Dated Checks

Non Calendar Year FSA Deduction limits
Hello Thank you for using news groups! I do not see an easy way to handle this as well. In payroll it is always on a calendar year, so the YTD amounts and limits are always from DEC-JAN The only other options I can think of is periodically change the Maximum deduction per year. For example keep it at $3000 to take out January/February/March then increase it to $6000 when OCT/NOV/DEC. You can go to (Tools | Setup | Payroll | Deduction) to adjust that max, you can choose yes to roll it down to all employees that have this. I am not tax accountant so I do not know the rules for the W-...

strange date format problem

How to sort by name then date?

if statement with dates #2

Counting Dates?

An expression for dates from and to

Returning only MAX(date) not all dates
I want to be able to list the most current date an item is checked out. As I was working through the query I used max as an aggregate function but I still can't get the simple result I want. I'd rather list the fields I have chosen and somehow select just the most current checkout date. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is my query: SELECT tblTerritory.TerritoryID, [TerritoryName] & " " & [TerritoryDescription] AS Description, tblTerritory.TerritoryTypeID, tblTerritoryType.TerritoryType, Max(tblTerritoryCheckout.DateCheckedOut) AS Checked...

System Date
Can anyone help me on how to force the system date to a member field of "Date" type? I could not find any help on msdn that comes with visual c++. Any hint or help will be appreciated. Thanks, Behrouzk Are you just trying to get the current date. You can use CTime::GetCurrentTime() or COleDateTime::GetCurrentTime() Tom "Behrouzk" <Behrouzk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8FA4B6B-73CE-4058-B50C-C9BEBAB67E68@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help me on how to force the system date to a member field of > "Date" type? I could not fi...

Conditional Formatting
Hi, I have a spreadsheet that is for tracking work. I would like to have conditional formatting so that if the date in column E is between todays date and 4 weeks away then make it blue, if it is a date that is after 4 weeks away then make it yellow but if it is in the past make it red. Can this be done with conditional formatting or does it need vba? Also it would be nice if the whole row changes colour even if just the condition is on the date which is in column E - but if that can't be done then just the cell is fine. Thanks Assume the dates start in E2, select all dates w...

Sending using IMAP fails with... using full email address!
Welcome All, I am new to this forum and would like to get some help on how to sent email using Windows Live Mail. I have installed it and set up all the IMAP accounts. for example if my site is... www.mysite.com then my cpanel login would be... mysite and then my cpanel password I use to use these settings for Outlook 2002. I have now had to buy a new pc with Windows 7 due to a completely failure of my pc. Now I can get all the emails and subscribe to all the folders but I am unable to set any emails like I have always done before. I get the error saying to the...

Time and date problem
Hello I have spreadsheet cell (B1) that contains a date and time: 05/11/2003 13:45:50 I have another series of cells (A1 to A100) that contain an increment of 30 seconds: 30.00 I would like to add the seconds to the date and time putting the result in column C, I have tried to do: =B1+(A1/100000) but the answer is wrong by 4 seconds and then gets worse the further down the column I go. Can somebody show me how to add the seconds to the date please. Thanks Tom Tom, Right method, wrong divider! 86,400 secs in a day.. change your 100000 to 86400 and you're there. Nikos Y. (nyannaco ...

Date subtraction -How to not show negative when 2nd date not entered
Hi, I have a section of a worksheet that just needs to show working days between two dates. For example, an order was entered on 9/2/07 and complete on 9/15/07 The formula =NETWORKDAYS(A1, A9) works perfectly except that until the "completed date" ise filled in, a negative number appears. Is there a way to have that remain blank until both dates have been entered? Thanks! Hi Edward, change your formula as =IF(A9="","",NETWORKDAYS(A1, A9)) -- Pranav Vaidya VBA Developer PN, MH-India If you think my answer is useful, please rate this post as an ANSWER...

changing a month by entering a number in a cell
I want to create a formula to allow me to enter a # into a cell that will display a corresponding months name in that cell. In doing an IF statement I have been getting a cricular error, I assume because i'm creating the formula IN the refrence cell, or Excel can't find the project or library. Either way I'm sure I'm not creating the formula correctly. Example: I want to enter 01 for January, 02 for February and have the corresponding mont displayed in the cell I'm creating the formula in. Is this possibe if written in the same cell? Sounds pretty simple but I can't get...

PivotTable question
Thanks Debra, For some reason when on that Date field button in the Pivot table & choose the Group & Show Detail > Group I get a "Cannot group that selection" pop up message. I'll give the other tips a shot, I'm sure those will work. thanks again -- -= cj = ----------------------------------------------------------------------- -= cj =-'s Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1467 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26305 If the date column contains text, or blank cells, you'll see th...

Incorrect date in creation date field
I am having an issue when creating a template I am trying to use the date field called creation date but when it is inerted into the document it shows an incorrect date? For example the file was created and saved on May 26, 2006 but the creation date field show November 26, 2002. Has anyone else seen this problem? ...

Year End Accounting
I never have done this. I remember a previous version (before 2006) suggested I do this with instructions what should be done. I can't find that information in 2006 premium. Does anybody know about this? I do essentially nothing besides, say, a scan of accounts and unreconciled transactions to make sure that we haven't missed something. I will also file a account transactions report with all fields showing for all accounts and limited to the previous year dates, printed to file and probably to .PDF or similar. What are you hoping to accomplish by "year end accounting&quo...

Last Balanced Date
Does anyone know a quick way to get a list of accounts and the last date they were balanced? I'm finding myself having to select each account and manually check to see if it is up to date. I would think there would be a report of some kind that would display this somewhere, but I can't seem to find one. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...Skip Skip, I've been thinking of the same exact question ever since I made the upgrade from Money 2004 to 2005. The ability to see the last balanced date across all accounts did exist in the 2004 version, and it was very useful. It...

Convert Text Entry to Date Format
Hello We were sent a large spreadsheet with hundreds of dates entered as text in this format: 04151985. Each entry has the green triangle in the upper left corner of the cells designating the data as text. We need to change the format to 04/15/1985. I have tried DateValue with no luck. I get a "#value" error I have also tried converting the text to a number first and then formating as a date using "format/cells" but I only get a string of pound signs ####. Please help. Thanks Art Sorry, I just read some of the archived postings and figured out the solution. ...