Crosstab queries, <> and null values

Hi everyone,

I have a crosstab query attached to a graph on a report. It shows
quantity of widgets produced by each employee for a specified period.
The client wants all months shown regardless of zero widgets.  If I
just use the Access graph wizard, it only shows the months when there
are some values not all months with or without zero values.

The final graph is supposed to be sum(widgets) and each bar represents
a worker.

So...

MonthSt              WorkerName             #Widgets
01/Jan/2010            Bob                             10
01/Jan/2010            Dave                             5

01/feb/2010             [null]                            0

01/Mar/2010            Bob                             16

01/Apr/2010            [null]                            0

01/Jul/2010            Bob                              1
01/Jul/2010            Dave                             7

etc

Creating the crosstab based on the above data via the wizard is Ok,
but where the workername is
null, it displays "<>" on the crosstab query and consequently with its
own coloured box on the legend even
tho'  there is no data for it and the bar is not shown on the graph.

Can I remove it? Or mask it or just suppress those values?

Thanks in advance

Edwinah63
0
Edwinah63

Edwinah63 wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a crosstab query attached to a graph on a report. It shows
> quantity of widgets produced by each employee for a specified period.
> The client wants all months shown regardless of zero widgets.  If I
> just use the Access graph wizard, it only shows the months when there
> are some values not all months with or without zero values.
>
> The final graph is supposed to be sum(widgets) and each bar represents
> a worker.
>
> So...
>
> MonthSt              WorkerName             #Widgets
> 01/Jan/2010            Bob                             10
> 01/Jan/2010            Dave                             5
>
> 01/feb/2010             [null]                            0
>

> 01/Mar/2010            Bob                             16
>
> 01/Apr/2010            [null]                            0
>
> 01/Jul/2010            Bob                              1
> 01/Jul/2010            Dave                             7
>
> etc
>
> Creating the crosstab based on the above data via the wizard is Ok,
> but where the workername is
> null, it displays "<>" on the crosstab query and consequently with its
> own coloured box on the legend even
> tho'  there is no data for it and the bar is not shown on the graph.
>
> Can I remove it? Or mask it or just suppress those values?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Edwinah63

You can add criteria to the crosstab query to eliminate data. The query
then could look like:

TRANSFORM Sum([#Widgets]) AS [Widgets]
SELECT MonthSt
FROM YourData
WHERE WorkerName Is Not Null
GROUP BY MonthSt
PIVOT WorkerName;

--
Groeten,

Peter
http://access.xps350.com

0
XPS35
5/21/2010 8:11:07 AM
Hi Peter,

I have already tried this, but the client wants all months shown
regardless of zero widgets so if I apply workername is null I lose the
zero value stuff the client wants to see.

Thanks for your reply.
0
Edwinah63
5/21/2010 10:29:06 AM
Try using the NZ function to force a name.

TRANSFORM Sum([#Widgets]) AS [Widgets]
SELECT MonthSt
FROM YourData
GROUP BY MonthSt
PIVOT Nz(WorkerName,"No Activity");

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

Edwinah63 wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I have already tried this, but the client wants all months shown
> regardless of zero widgets so if I apply workername is null I lose the
> zero value stuff the client wants to see.
>
> Thanks for your reply.
0
John

International Date Values
Recently I had a problem with MS Access date values between different countries. I had Spanish dates dd/MM/yyyy actually converting as MM/dd/yyyy on the US side db. Is this a known bug? I have the source provider giving me text and then reconverting on my side. It's very cumbersome because, as many of you may know, when you give someone an inch they take a mile. Give someone a text field for a date and I promise you there will be something else other than a date in that field sometime or another. -- ~Your Friend Chris On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 21:50:01 -0700, vbasean <...

Odd Parameter request in Crosstab
Good Morning, I read the threads about creating parameters in crosstab queries and this helped me to get it to work but the parameter box pops up when I try to save the query. Though my changes are saved, I don’t think this is normal? It happens in all views. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong? Here is my SQL: PARAMETERS [Enter Month and Year] DateTime; TRANSFORM Sum(Trans_Mstr_ODC.ODC_Cost) AS SumOfODC_Cost SELECT Trans_Mstr_ODC.TransDate, Trans_Mstr_ODC.Category, Trans_Mstr_ODC.Product, Sum(Trans_Mstr_ODC.ODC_Cost) AS [Total Of ODC_Cost] FROM Trans_Mstr_ODC WHERE...

Creating Date Range in Pivot Microsoft Query
I have a pivot that I've connected to our SQL db using the MS Query. I'm having two problems with it: 1. In Access I create a date range to see dates between 3 and 15months ago with the SQL statement " WHERE (Trx.TrxDate) Between (Date()-485) AND (Date()-120)" - no problem in Access but not the MS Query program. When I do it through the Excel MS Query it says the Function 'date' is not valid. How do I describe the current date in the MS Query program? 2. In the same wizard I cannot combine two fields (in Access I would use Expr1: [Field1]&", "...

Error 'Invalid object ##Options' while running Multilevel query in
I created a company in GP9.0 with Analytical Accounting + Service Pack 1, created a transaction dimension and some codes, posted transactions in POP, GL and Inventory. When I ran the Multi level query wizard, i got the error '[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid object name "##Options" when I gave all the values and the system started to run the report. What could be the problem? Thanks - Murali The options you are selected in MQW are stored in temp table and using that "##Options" table is created in run time.It might be because the temp ta...

Union queries and crosstab...
I created a union query that combined three tables. Three tables that store three types of deposits (ID, Coupon, Misc). The union query has a criteria of a date range. The fields include SalesAmt for all of the deposit types. If one of the tables do not have data for that date range (let's say Misc), the SalesAmt column for the Misc table does not show up in the query. Is there a way for me to have a filler column so it can be displayed in a report? Currently, if a table has no data, the report errors out saying the column does not exist. Thanks. Use a NZ function on that fie...

Selecting a Value from a table in a form
Hello, I have a time database set up for employees to enter the time. Right now there is a form where the date is selected, then there is a subform with a drop down list where the employee selects there name, then there is another subform where employees enter there time. Associated with each form is a Date table that displays the days of the year, there is an employee table that lists all the employees names, and then there is a work table which keeps track of employee time. However I am running into an issue with employees changing the employee name by accident in the employee sub...

Sorting data in a query
Hello, I have a report based on a query that returns employees holiday dates in descending order. This works well but new boss only wants to see the last holiday that staff had. I have tried various methods of trying to return the LAST HOLIDAY DATE FOR EMPLOYEES but I can not achieve it. Could anyone help please? Current query example returns: Mr Smith 21 Oct 07 Mr A 1 OCT 07 mRS b 28 Sep 07 Mrs b 1 Sep 07 Mr z 29 Aug 07 Mr Smith 28 Aug 07 Mr A 20 Aug 07 Miss Y 1 Aug 07 The new query needs to return: Mr Smith 21 Oct 07 Mr A 1 OCT 07 mRS b 28 Sep 07 Mr z 29 Aug 07 Miss Y ...

Avoid 0 values in a graph?
Hi everyone, i have a graph based on a pivot table with countries and production as fields. What i need is the graph not taking into account the countries with production=0% so those countries would not appear in it. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanks! -- daru ------------------------------------------------------------------------ daru's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34656 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=544228 ...

Trouble with Query Statement
I keep getting the following error with the code below: runtime error '13'; Type mismatch. Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT tblCaseInfo.CaseID, tblCaseInfo.DHSNo, tblCaseInfo.Region, tblCaseInfo.DHSAttny, tblCaseInfo.CaseName, " _ & "tblAction.CaseID, tblAction.Actn, tblStatus.CaseId, tblStatus.ClosedDate, tblStatus.StatusRptNotes " _ & "FROM (tblCaseInfo INNER JOIN tblAction ON tblCaseInfo.CaseId = tblAction.CaseID) " _ & "LEFT JOIN tblStatus ON tblCaseInfo.CaseId = tblStatus.CaseId " _ & "WHERE ((...

Query to Determine if Course is Taken
Hi, I have a table that lists courses an employee has taken. I also have a list of courses, when then expire and what their retraining course should be. Now I need to determine if the employee has taken not only the original course, but the retrained course when they're on separate lines. So.. if he's taken course 123 which expires in 12 months. Then he takes course 124. It shows in the list of courses that he's taken that 124 was also completed. However, my flag just determines that 123 is expired. I need that flag to not show if 124 has been taken. Hope that's a compl...

Date parameters on crosstab report?
I am reporting on orders analysed by advertising source. I have built my first crosstab query that works fine, and then a report based on that which also works OK. However, we need to select the date range (order date) for which it is reporting. In the past with ordinary select queries I have simply added Between [Enter start date] And [Enter end date] to the appropriate date field column in the design grid and it has worked fine. But on this one it makes no difference - it either continues to display the whole set of data, or nothing at all, depending on the syntax I use. Is there som...

How to save values only from linked Excel files?
I have a very large Excel file due to linked data files. Is it possible to save in a separate Excel file the values only from the linked files [and not the links] to reduce the file size for e-mailing? Save the file as a new name then select the cells edit|copy edit|paste special|Values This will convert all the formulas to values. If that's too much, you may be able (depending on your version): edit|links|break links. If your version of excel doesn't have this option, you could use Bill Manville's addin to find the external links and change them to values: http://www.o...

Excel query #5
Hi, I'm using Microsoft Query to get data from my Access tables. After the 64th query, I get the message "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed", which means I can't add another query. I need several more queries. Each query has 53 fields. Can I increase the number of queries the driver can open some way? If not can, pivot tables or OLAP cubes open more queries. I have played with them some. Can they open that many fields? Are pivot tables or OLAP cubes the best way to handle the data? I'm not looking for a 'how to' ans...

Query Criteria 04-15-10
Hi, Some of the fields I have in a table which is imported from a csv file are: Salesperson (has up to 20 names in it) Status (has Won,Lost,Submitted,Prospect,Did Not Proceed,Estimation) Status Date (has date) Value ($ value) What I am getting stuck on is a query to get the total value per Salesman for each status and also the count of each status, I would like it to show in datasheet form something like below. Salesman $won No. Won $lost No.Lost A $100000 5 $150000 3 B ...

Queries to Views?
I posted this question in a SQL Svr newsgroup and was basically slapped down for doing so. I was told this is an "Access" issue and I should try an "Access" group (man, those guys can be sensitive!). So, here we go... I've tried a few different approaches but, each time I try to convert an access query to a view in SQL Svr 2000, the result is a table not a view. Does anyone know how to take the dozens of queries I've created and move them into SQL server as views without copying and pasting the SQL statements into query analyzer one at a time? I've ...

Templates and Queries
I have an Excel Template that contains a query pulling from and Access Database. I have tried to modify this query, however, it doesn't seem to accept my changes. I can create a new query within a new template and then it works fine. Rather than doing this for everyone, I would like to just modify the query and save that within the template. I've tried saving the query and then resaving the template also. What am I doing wrong. This is Excel XP. Thanks, ...

Network connection for query
G'day there One and All, I'm currently trying to adapt a few of the Dept's workbooks to suit our district. There is a single master book, to produce reports, that is available to all on a read only basis and read write to the relevent manager. There are also a number of data entry books that are identical to each other and that provide the data from each division. The master book uses a query to obtain data from the division's books and thereby build the reports. The data books are read write for everyone with only a single sheet from each providing data for the que...

Query to find when a total is hit
We are trying to get some statistics on our Inventory people to see if they are issuing material to work orders on time. My work order table has a field that shows the last transaction date of the order, but if Inventory issue all the material then has to issue more because of scrap later they get dinged as being late. We have a Transaction History table that shows every issue however I don't know a good way to find out when the total number of needed parts was reached. For Example I am creating a shop order that needs 3 parts, 50 of each: ShopOrder PartNeeded D...

LDAP Query needed
I need an ldap query to find all users with an exchange mailbox where the users alias does not equal the nickname of the smtp email address(s). Thanks! "MrRAlan" <MrRAlan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need an ldap query to find all users with an exchange mailbox where the >users alias does not equal the nickname of the smtp email address(s). Thanks! I don't believe LDAP supports what you want to do. You'll have to write a small program (vbs or perl) that creates a mail address and then queries the AD for a match. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange ...

Queries?
Is it possible to make an "update query" to roll back year to date overtime hours? I have an tblhours that totals all overtime hours worked and refused in which I have ran queries to sum all of those. Once a year we have to rollback the year to date overtime hours which means we take the lowest employee, he goes to "0" and we subtract the lowest employees hours from the highest employees hours. I was trying to do this in an update query, but everything I try subtracts, for example, 10 hours from every line of overtime in the tblhours table. I know you are no...

Returning a tabled value from two inputs.
I have a table as such, Ang 4 5 7 10 15 22.5 30 45 C 0.11 0.13 0.17 0.26 0.42 0.6 0.77 0.9 R 0.13 0.14 0.21 0.35 0.53 0.72 0.83 0.92 NB: Hope the table comes through ok. I want to create a formula that looks at two inputs, e.g. Desired Angle of Taper = 5 (input) Form of Duct C / R = R (input) The formula will then return a value corresponding to the inputted row and column e.g = 0.14 The table is just made up from values entered into plain excel cells. I have unsuccessfully tried using IF functions, but may be ...

Excel VBA SQL Query Filename

Querying dates & times
I am struggling with running a query where the field is both a date and a time. i.e. 01/25/2010 3:40 pm. When running the query, it doesn't see anything. After entering the query criteria, it only shows up as #01/25/2010# and no data selected... Any suggestions? Thx, D Can you tell us how you would like this to work? Do you want to ignore the time portion of the value or is the time significant to the criteria? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Digi777" wrote: > I am struggling with running a query where the field is both a date and a > ...

Creating addressbooks that query on OU
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C4174B.630E15B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How would I create an addressbook that is based on the contents of an OU = in AD? ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C4174B.630E15B0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3D...

Summing a crosstab
Is there a way to do a sumif on a crosstab? For example: Issue Year Duration 2,004 2,005 2,006 2,007 2,008 2,009 0 453 - - - - 505 1 - - 789 498 - 2 650 - - - 3 5,496 1,086 2,210 4 - 6,241 5 13,664 I want to summarize by Incurred Year, which would be Issue year + Duration So for Incurred Year 2009, I want to sum all cells where the Issue Year + Duration = 2009. sumif (row + col = year) Incurred Year Amount 2009 22,621 2008 1,584 2007 6,285 2006 650 2005 - ...