Create a Variable from First 4-5 chars of a existing value ??

In a current table, the values in a particular field are all items like:

MD45 Tuesday PM
or
TX341 Friday AM
or
FL12 Monday PM

...in other words...2 parts seperated by a space.  The first part is always a
State Abbrv. followed by either a 2 or 3 char. number.  That first part will
always be 4-5 characters long (or...everthing before the first Space).

I'm needing to create a varible that is the First Part of the existing value..
..in other words...the variable would need to be (from the above examples)...

MD45
or
TX341
or
FL12

I'm kind of familiar with LEFT command.  Would using some version be going in
the right direction?

Something like:

PartVal: LEFT([CurrentVal],4)
-or-
PartVal: LEFT([CurrentVal],5)

...but.....how could it dectect WHICH one to use (if the above are even
correct)?

...maybe something to search for the first space?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks!

kev100

This should work for all cases:

PartVal: Trim(Left([CurrentVal],5))

--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"kev100 via AccessMonster.com" <u16246@uwe> wrote in message
> In a current table, the values in a particular field are all items like:
>
> MD45 Tuesday PM
> or
> TX341 Friday AM
> or
> FL12 Monday PM
>

> ..in other words...2 parts seperated by a space.  The first part is always
> State Abbrv. followed by either a 2 or 3 char. number.  That first part
> will
> always be 4-5 characters long (or...everthing before the first Space).
>
> I'm needing to create a varible that is the First Part of the existing
> value..
> .in other words...the variable would need to be (from the above
> examples)...
>
> MD45
> or
> TX341
> or
> FL12
>

> I'm kind of familiar with LEFT command.  Would using some version be going
> in
> the right direction?
>
> Something like:
>
> PartVal: LEFT([CurrentVal],4)
> -or-
> PartVal: LEFT([CurrentVal],5)
>
> ..but.....how could it dectect WHICH one to use (if the above are even
> correct)?
>
> ..maybe something to search for the first space?
>

> Any help appreciated.
> Thanks!

Ken
3/19/2007 11:52:01 PM
Take a look at the InStr() function.  This will give you a way (Access a
way) to determine where the space is.  Your new expression would look
something like:

    Left([YourField],InStr([YourField]," ")-1)

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

> In a current table, the values in a particular field are all items like:
>
> MD45 Tuesday PM
> or
> TX341 Friday AM
> or
> FL12 Monday PM
>

> ..in other words...2 parts seperated by a space.  The first part is always
> State Abbrv. followed by either a 2 or 3 char. number.  That first part
> will
> always be 4-5 characters long (or...everthing before the first Space).
>
> I'm needing to create a varible that is the First Part of the existing
> value..
> .in other words...the variable would need to be (from the above
> examples)...
>
> MD45
> or
> TX341
> or
> FL12
>

> I'm kind of familiar with LEFT command.  Would using some version be going
> in
> the right direction?
>
> Something like:
>
> PartVal: LEFT([CurrentVal],4)
> -or-
> PartVal: LEFT([CurrentVal],5)
>
> ..but.....how could it dectect WHICH one to use (if the above are even
> correct)?
>
> ..maybe something to search for the first space?
>

> Any help appreciated.
> Thanks!

Jeff
3/19/2007 11:52:58 PM
You should not store data like this, use separate fields.
Use this --
    First Part:  Trim(Left([YourFieldName],5))

--
KARL DEWEY
Build a little - Test a little

"kev100 via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> In a current table, the values in a particular field are all items like:
>
> MD45 Tuesday PM
> or
> TX341 Friday AM
> or
> FL12 Monday PM
>

> ...in other words...2 parts seperated by a space.  The first part is always a
> State Abbrv. followed by either a 2 or 3 char. number.  That first part will
> always be 4-5 characters long (or...everthing before the first Space).
>
> I'm needing to create a varible that is the First Part of the existing value..
> ..in other words...the variable would need to be (from the above examples)...
>
> MD45
> or
> TX341
> or
> FL12
>

> I'm kind of familiar with LEFT command.  Would using some version be going in
> the right direction?
>
> Something like:
>
> PartVal: LEFT([CurrentVal],4)
> -or-
> PartVal: LEFT([CurrentVal],5)
>
> ...but.....how could it dectect WHICH one to use (if the above are even
> correct)?
>
> ...maybe something to search for the first space?
>

> Any help appreciated.
> Thanks!

create a roster

Encode URL parameter value?
Hi, I need to pass parameter to a URL (on the internet). Are there any function to encode parameter like Server.URLEncode() in ASP? Thank you, Kelvin Are you talking about InternetCanonicalizeUrl()? "Kelvin" <Kelvin_gl@yahoo.com.cn> wrote in message news:ehdMDOFVEHA.2844@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I need to pass parameter to a URL (on the internet). Are there any function > to encode parameter like Server.URLEncode() in ASP? > > Thank you, > Kelvin > > Oh yes, it is exactly what I had spent a lot to time looking for... Thank you a lot....

how to define scroll bar's page size value?
Hi all, I have a confusion about calculating scroll bar's page size. In my application, I am drawing an image according to scroll bar position. m_iGeneratedImgWidth - Width size of the image (this value is always bigger) rect.right - Width of the drawing area. how to define scroll bar's page size value? SCROLLINFO info; info.cbSize = sizeof(SCROLLINFO); info.fMask = SIF_RANGE|SIF_PAGE|SIF_POS; info.nPos = 0; info.nMin = 0; info.nMax = m_iGeneratedImgWidth - rect.right; info.nPage = ? In my OnHScrollBar() function, for SB_PAGELEFT / SB_PAG...

User prompted for password 5 times
One of my users is experiencing a very odd (at least to me) behavior. He is logged into his XP system which is joined to our Active Directory, no problems there. When he launches Outlook hs is prompted for his password for some reason. He has to enter his password and click OK, then repeat this step 5 times before it lets him in. Any thoughts? Thanks I'm having a similar problem. Also running XP and Outlook 2003. Did you get any answers? I haven't tried to authenticate 5 times but that should not be the answer! Right? >-----Original Message----- >One of my users is ex...

Is there a formula to show $5,000,000 as $5M?
I am looking for an easy way to convert $M values to eliminate the 6 zeros. Thanks. You could try something like this: =IF(RIGHT(A1,6)="000000",A1/1000000&"M",A1) unless someone has a better idea.... Sheila "ExcelHelp" wrote: > I am looking for an easy way to convert $M values to eliminate the 6 zeros. > > Thanks. Another option: =TEXT(A1,"$ #,, ""M""") Another option would be to keep the value in the cell, and use a similar Custom format. -- Dana DeLouis Win XP & Office 2003 "ExcelHelp" <...

Converting minutes to seconds #4
I have got this working with excel 2000 but will this work with 97. have tried it but i just get ERR Jame -- smith.james ----------------------------------------------------------------------- smith.james0's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1623 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27641 ...

Reference to cell with text is returning #VALUE
I have a cell that references a different cell that that consists of H9:J9 that is formated for and contains text. The referenceing cell shows #VALUE instead of the actual text that is in the cell? Any ideas as to why this is happening? Any help would be appreciated. What does your formula look like? A simple link formula can only reference a single cell. Like this: =H9 You can't reference a range of cells like this: =H9:J9 That is why you're getting the error. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Jorist" <Jorist@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Task Create - Status

NDR 4.4.6?
I get the following error when attempting to send to a particular DL. A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients. Contact your administrator. <SERVER #4.4.6> How do I check the possibility of looping? Do the users in the DL have forwarding turned on within their mail properties in AD? "pscottlee" <pscottlee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:196F18E2-895E-4AB9-A40E-8D2A6F2E0378@microsoft.com... >I get the following error when attempting to send to a particu...

#Value
I need to add 2 cells (E24+E44), how can I achieve this without getting #Value when zero value? Hi Margo, Check your data. The only way you should be getting #Value is if a number is actually being interpreted as text instead of a value. The data in either E24 or E44 has to be text instead of a value. >-----Original Message----- >I need to add 2 cells (E24+E44), how can I achieve this >without getting #Value when zero value? >. > ...

Create external database

Variable Accros Queries
If I wish to use a variable across mutliple queries, is this possible, and if so where would I declare and set the variable? You can't use variables in queries. Are you thinking in terms of selection criteria (i.e. parameters), and you don't want to have to input the same parameters multiple times, or do you want the value stored in a variable to be returned by the query? For the former, the easiest approach is to create an unbound form with controls on it, one for each parameter. Have the query refer to the controls (the syntax is Forms![NameOfForm]![NameOfControl]), rather...

Spell Check #5
On some replys I get "Spell checker was unsuccessful. Do you still want to send?" We are using Outlook 2002 and Exchange 2000 Thank you for any help Shelley So, what is the question? On some emails you mis spell amd some you don't. Thom It say it was Unsucessful.. It did not say Spell check complete >-----Original Message----- >So, what is the question? On some emails you mis spell >amd some you don't. > >Thom >. > I sent the message "hi" and got the same message here - just started today. Any real help Thom? ...

How to create pie chart with %

when form created

Creating a Brochure

How to create Access macro shortcut