Copy data from on table to another ?

I have lost a lot of data in my backend, but
it is only data from a few columns, in one tabel, that I have lost.

My tabel is called taCustemor, and the columns in that
table is called fakFirm, fakAdress. I have use a custemornumber
as a primarykey.

So now I want to copy only these columns from my backup
of the backend to my backend in use.
I'm sure that I can do this buy using SQL, but I'm
not sure how to make this querie.

Can some one out there help me ?

0
SpookiePower

You want to use an append query. See Help file for info.

In the database where you want the data to be when you're done, create a
link to the appropriate table(s) in the backup copy of the database. Then
create an append query to copy data from the linked table(s) to the table(s)
in the current database file.

--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"SpookiePower" <boxjunk2600@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have lost a lot of data in my backend, but
> it is only data from a few columns, in one tabel, that I have lost.
>
> My tabel is called taCustemor, and the columns in that
> table is called fakFirm, fakAdress. I have use a custemornumber
> as a primarykey.
>
> So now I want to copy only these columns from my backup
> of the backend to my backend in use.
> I'm sure that I can do this buy using SQL, but I'm
> not sure how to make this querie.
>
> Can some one out there help me ?

0
Ken
3/26/2007 1:23:08 PM
Ken,

Pardon me, but I think the poster needs to use an UPDATE query since they
have lost data from SOME columns and not lost records.

Otherwise, I think your advice is good.

Assuming that the poster links to the backup copy and his linked table is
named taCustemor when the poster creates the link to the backup he/she will
get a new table named taCustemor_1.

Assumption:
The blank fields are null and do not contain a zero-length string.
You want to do the replacement with only one query

The SQL for that would look something like the following.

UPDATE taCustemor INNER JOIN taCustemor_1
ON taCustemor.custemornumber = taCustemor_1.custemornumber
SET taCustemor.FakFirm = IIF([taCustemor].[FakFirm] Is
Null,[taCustemor_1].[FakFirm], [taCustemor].[FakFirm]),
       taCustemor.fakAdress=IIF([taCustemor].[fakAdress] Is
Null,[taCustemor_1].[fakAdress],[taCustemor].[fakAdress])
WHERE taCustemor.fakAdress Is Null Or taCustemor.fakFirm is Null

--
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007

"Ken Snell (MVP)" <kthsneisllis9@ncoomcastt.renaetl> wrote in message
> You want to use an append query. See Help file for info.
>
> In the database where you want the data to be when you're done, create a
> link to the appropriate table(s) in the backup copy of the database. Then
> create an append query to copy data from the linked table(s) to the
> table(s) in the current database file.
>
> --
>
>        Ken Snell
> <MS ACCESS MVP>
>
> "SpookiePower" <boxjunk2600@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have lost a lot of data in my backend, but
>> it is only data from a few columns, in one tabel, that I have lost.
>>
>> My tabel is called taCustemor, and the columns in that
>> table is called fakFirm, fakAdress. I have use a custemornumber
>> as a primarykey.
>>
>> So now I want to copy only these columns from my backup
>> of the backend to my backend in use.
>> I'm sure that I can do this buy using SQL, but I'm
>> not sure how to make this querie.
>>
>> Can some one out there help me ?

0
John
3/26/2007 5:00:14 PM
Thanks a lot, both of you.
I'll take a look at it later today :)
0
SpookiePower
3/26/2007 8:06:54 PM
I think you're right!
< g >

--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"John Spencer" <spencer@chpdm.edu> wrote in message
> Ken,
>
> Pardon me, but I think the poster needs to use an UPDATE query since they
> have lost data from SOME columns and not lost records.
>
> Otherwise, I think your advice is good.
>
> Assuming that the poster links to the backup copy and his linked table is
> named taCustemor when the poster creates the link to the backup he/she
> will get a new table named taCustemor_1.
>
> Assumption:
> The blank fields are null and do not contain a zero-length string.
> You want to do the replacement with only one query
>
> The SQL for that would look something like the following.
>
> UPDATE taCustemor INNER JOIN taCustemor_1
> ON taCustemor.custemornumber = taCustemor_1.custemornumber
> SET taCustemor.FakFirm = IIF([taCustemor].[FakFirm] Is
> Null,[taCustemor_1].[FakFirm], [taCustemor].[FakFirm]),
>       taCustemor.fakAdress=IIF([taCustemor].[fakAdress] Is
> Null,[taCustemor_1].[fakAdress],[taCustemor].[fakAdress])
> WHERE taCustemor.fakAdress Is Null Or taCustemor.fakFirm is Null
>

> --
> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
> Center for Health Program Development and Management
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
> .
>
> "Ken Snell (MVP)" <kthsneisllis9@ncoomcastt.renaetl> wrote in message
>> You want to use an append query. See Help file for info.
>>
>> In the database where you want the data to be when you're done, create a
>> link to the appropriate table(s) in the backup copy of the database. Then
>> create an append query to copy data from the linked table(s) to the
>> table(s) in the current database file.
>>
>> --
>>
>>        Ken Snell
>> <MS ACCESS MVP>
>>
>> "SpookiePower" <boxjunk2600@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have lost a lot of data in my backend, but
>>> it is only data from a few columns, in one tabel, that I have lost.
>>>
>>> My tabel is called taCustemor, and the columns in that
>>> table is called fakFirm, fakAdress. I have use a custemornumber
>>> as a primarykey.
>>>
>>> So now I want to copy only these columns from my backup
>>> of the backend to my backend in use.
>>> I'm sure that I can do this buy using SQL, but I'm
>>> not sure how to make this querie.
>>>
>>> Can some one out there help me ?

0
Ken

DVD Copy Pro for Mac

collect data from mail merge
If I create a mail merge in Word with some blank space for data entry, can I collect the feedbacks from returned word file, and consolidate them in excel ? Can you give a little more information about what you are trying to do. Excel is a pretty powerful tool; almost certainly you can do what you want. Ryan--- -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "data collection" wrote: > If I create a mail merge in Word with some blank space for data entry, can I > collect the feedbacks from returned wo...

GAL and another Address Book
I've taken the address book from WinFax and exported into a .csv file. I've imported this into a .pst profile. Now I'd like to have this "address book" of thousands of Fax Numbers available through the Exchange Server (Address Book) so users can access it easily through the Create a Fax Wizard in SBS 03, instead of sharing out one workstations book and going down that road. Is this possible and if so, is there any documentation I haven't found to do it? Thanks in advance. Joseph. Copy the items from the .pst folder into a contacts folder under Public = Fold...

Data labels #9
My data labels in my bar chart don't look the same after printing as they do on the screen. I try to manually move them but they still don't look the same after printing. Any thoughts? Are they embedded charts or chart sheets? If you select an embedded chart and print it, it will print as a chart sheet, and there's likely to be a fair amount of distortion. When printing and embedded chart, print the worksheet it's on. When printing a chart sheet, uncheck the setting in Tools menu > Options > Charts for Chart Sizes to Window Frame. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Micr...

Import/copy calendar in Outlook 2003

Copy info from one workbook to another?

Secondary Copy

local copy of mail

Outlook 2000 SP3

Copy picture ossice wizard

Log data in a shared workbook
Hi all Is it possible to have a spreadsheet which logs data from anothe without over writing each other's data, even though several colleague are inputting and saving in this shared sheet at different times. Eg. Sheet 1 has various data Sheet 2 - A1,2,3, etc = first save Sheet 3 - B1,2,3, etc = second save Etc. ...for the day Cheers Joe -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Joey Would you consider writing to a CSV file? You could use VBA's text file functions to write directly to the file, but the file would still open in Excel. One advantage would be that...

create pivot table from multiple sheet (excell 2003)
as understood, excell 2003 have row limit...but, currently i have data that more than the row limit... so, i split my data to 2 separate worksheet...the column name for each worksheet same.. my question, how can i create one pivot table from the two worksheet...i've tried using the wizard n consolidated data but failed.... thank you vm.. Maybe you could try creating the pivot directly from the Access source table (which doesn't have the 65k row limitations) In Excel, in a new sheet, Click Data > Import External data > Import data Navigate to where the Access file is >...

create calculated field for age in pivot tables
I need to create a calculated field for Age from the birth date within a Pivot Table (Excel Office 2007). I can not create age in the data set because it is pulling directly from a data source. I tried just using the formula =INT((TODAY()- Birthday)/365.25) but received an error. Hi That won't work because you cannot use NOW() or TODAY() in PT Calculated fields or items. I think the only way you can do it (approximately) if you cannot add a field to your source data, would be to make a calculated field with the formula =2010-Year(Birthday) -- Regards Roger G...

subtotal copy and paste

I need to convert a word table to excel
When I try doing this by copying the table it appears in excelwith one or two empty lines in between each of my lines that I needed converting. Why is this? usually means there are superfluous paragraph marks in the Word table. "Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:012E3413-1F64-4018-BC14-A2D6AB68B668@microsoft.com... > When I try doing this by copying the table it appears in excelwith one or > two > empty lines in between each of my lines that I needed converting. Why is > this? ...

Copying graphs

Copying Views

Pivot Table Update?
I have an existing pivot table that works OK - but I want it to recognise and automatically update when a new line of data is input - how can I do this? -- ajames ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ajames's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31502 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=514328 Use a dynamic range name--one that grows and contracts with your data. See Debra Dalgeish's site for some nice tips: http://contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic Then all you'll hav...

Strange Icon
I have noticed a strange picture/icon (Can't paste it here) A small icon with a Blue J and a yellow background. I can identify it or it's purpose. Anyone know what it is? What it does? Thank and Seasons Greeting! What version of Excel are you using? Where/when does the icon appear? HW wrote: > I have noticed a strange picture/icon (Can't paste it here) A small icon > with a Blue J and a yellow background. I can identify it or it's purpose. > > Anyone know what it is? What it does? > > Thank and Seasons Greeting! -- Debra...

Comparing two columns of data and Highlighting the Differences
I have values (mix of text and numbers)in column A and B. Each cell value in column B is also in column A. I want to highlight (Change Fill color to Red) for example) all those cells in column A that are also present in the column B. Any help writting a Macro will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Harapa No macro needed. Select Column A's Data. Use Format/Conditional Formatting. Change "Cell Value Is" to "Formula Is" Assuming A1 is the active cell, enter this formula: =NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,$B$1:$B$500,0))) click Format, click Patterns tab, select Red fill patte...

Unwanted arrows when "Format As Table"
When I select my Excel 2007 worksheet and format it as a preset table style, the first row always contains dropdown arrows that are totally unneeded for my styling. How can I get rid of those arrows? Thanks. >When I select my Excel 2007 worksheet and format it as a preset table >style, the first row always contains dropdown arrows that are totally >unneeded for my styling. How can I get rid of those arrows? Thanks. Here is a before/after pic to show what a distraction the header arrows are. http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8017/excelba2.jpg Now I understand what the issue is....

Import data from Parameter Query
I am trying to import data into Excel from a parameter query in Access. I keep getting a message "Too few parameters". I have tried supplying the parameter information via the filter in the import wizard but this did not work. I want to avoid removing the parameter in Access. Is there anyway around this? ...