convert layered MS Access queries to .NET

I am trying to convert some MS Access queries to .net.  These queries call
other queies, that call other queries, etc., sometimes up to five levels deep.
I am trying to keep from using subqueries because of the amount of testing
that would be required, some of the lower level queries are used in multiple
high level queries, and some of the lower level queries reference different
data sources.

Is there a way to use datatables or some other way to do what Access does?

0
perkinesed

perkinesed wrote:
> I am trying to convert some MS Access queries to .net.  These queries
> call other queies, that call other queries, etc., sometimes up to
> five levels deep. I am trying to keep from using subqueries because
> of the amount of testing that would be required, some of the lower
> level queries are used in multiple high level queries, and some of
> the lower level queries reference different data sources.
>
> Is there a way to use datatables or some other way to do what Access
> does?

I don't understand ... why not simply call the saved queries? What does it
mean to "convert queries to .net"?

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
"NO SPAM"

0
Bob
11/21/2009 6:57:01 PM
"Bob Barrows" <reb01501@NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
> perkinesed wrote:
>> I am trying to convert some MS Access queries to .net.  These queries
>> call other queies, that call other queries, etc., sometimes up to
>> five levels deep. I am trying to keep from using subqueries because
>> of the amount of testing that would be required, some of the lower
>> level queries are used in multiple high level queries, and some of
>> the lower level queries reference different data sources.
>>
>> Is there a way to use datatables or some other way to do what Access
>> does?
>
> I don't understand ... why not simply call the saved queries? What does it
> mean to "convert queries to .net"?

If any of the queries involved use VBA functions, then it's not possible to
call them from outside of Access, as Jet knows nothing about VBA. That could
be what "convert some MS Access queries  to .net" means, in which case
there's really nothing that can be done.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

0
Douglas
11/21/2009 7:43:29 PM
If you want to go with .NET, you should switch to SQL-Server (the free
Express edition or one of the regular (not free) editions).  JET is useful
when you use it with Access at the frontend but there is absolutely no point
in keeping it if you want to go with .NET.  The fact that you already have
trouble managing queries covering five levels should have give you a hint
about that.

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Windows Live Platform

"perkinesed" <u56376@uwe> wrote in message news:9f74c813fd3cc@uwe...
>I am trying to convert some MS Access queries to .net.  These queries call
> other queies, that call other queries, etc., sometimes up to five levels
> deep.
> I am trying to keep from using subqueries because of the amount of testing
> that would be required, some of the lower level queries are used in
> multiple
> high level queries, and some of the lower level queries reference
> different
> data sources.
>
> Is there a way to use datatables or some other way to do what Access does?

0
Sylvain
11/21/2009 8:57:49 PM
Not that I disagree with your advice, but I'm having trouble understanding
your reason for offering it in this instance. How will using SQL Server make
his problem simpler? Instead of 5 levels of saved queries, he would now be
dealing with 5 levels of views, with the same problem he's now posting about
(not that I can say I understand the problem he is having).

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
"NO SPAM"

0
Bob
11/21/2009 9:05:50 PM
And what about the lack of formating as a start?

It's because it's much more easier to write complex queries inside a
SQL-Server stored procedure than it is with queries in Access:

1- Formating

2- No need to cut your query into multiple pieces because otherwise JET will
spit you back its "query to complex".

3- Full syntax for writing complex queries with inner join and outer join
(Left, Right, Full) without the need to put parenthesis everywhere and with
full support for the ON operator in the case of outer join; possibility to
mix all these with subqueries, again without the risk of JET spitting back
its too familiar error message.

4- etc.

JET is practically the same old sql dialect and query engine acreated more
than 20 years ago and it has never changed since; excerpt for the switch to
Unicode and maybe a few bug here and there (but they are still many bugs
lurking in it).  For the rest, it has a much evolued as a dead fossil.

--

> Not that I disagree with your advice, but I'm having trouble understanding
> your reason for offering it in this instance. How will using SQL Server
> make his problem simpler? Instead of 5 levels of saved queries, he would
> now be dealing with 5 levels of views, with the same problem he's now
> posting about (not that I can say I understand the problem he is having).
>

> Sylvain Lafontaine wrote:
>> If you want to go with .NET, you should switch to SQL-Server (the free
>> Express edition or one of the regular (not free) editions).  JET is
>> useful when you use it with Access at the frontend but there is
>> absolutely no point in keeping it if you want to go with .NET.  The
>> fact that you already have trouble managing queries covering five
>> levels should have give you a hint about that.
>>

>> "perkinesed" <u56376@uwe> wrote in message news:9f74c813fd3cc@uwe...
>>> I am trying to convert some MS Access queries to .net.  These
>>> queries call other queies, that call other queries, etc., sometimes
>>> up to five levels deep.
>>> I am trying to keep from using subqueries because of the amount of
>>> testing that would be required, some of the lower level queries are
>>> used in multiple
>>> high level queries, and some of the lower level queries reference
>>> different
>>> data sources.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to use datatables or some other way to do what Access
>>> does?
>
> --
> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
> "NO SPAM"

0
Sylvain
11/21/2009 10:02:38 PM
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 17:44:36 GMT, "perkinesed" <u56376@uwe> wrote:

You need to be more specific. ".net" is not a database, while I assume
you consider "MS Access" a database (technically, Jet (or with A2007:
ACE) is the default database underlying MS Access - the forms
package).
What database are you trying to convert to?

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>I am trying to convert some MS Access queries to .net.  These queries call
>other queies, that call other queries, etc., sometimes up to five levels deep.
>I am trying to keep from using subqueries because of the amount of testing
>that would be required, some of the lower level queries are used in multiple
>high level queries, and some of the lower level queries reference different
>data sources.
>
>Is there a way to use datatables or some other way to do what Access does?
0
Tom
11/22/2009 1:44:36 AM
Again, these are all perfectly valid reasons for converting to SQL Server.
They just don't seem relevant to what the OP is asking for help with.

Please, perkinesed, respond to the various inquiries people have made in
this thread. We cannot answer your question as it stands.

Are you trying to replace your database with objects created in .Net code?
If so, you have to understand: sql requires a database engine. There is no
database engine in .Net so .Net can neither parse nor execute sql queries on
its own. It has to pass those sql statements to a database engine which can
do those things. Yes, ADO.Net can get you close with some of its datatable
functionality, but it is certainly not intended to be a replacement for a
real database engine.

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
"NO SPAM"

0
Bob
11/22/2009 3:22:40 PM
Oh, sorry, I might have misunderstood your last reply.

I think that this is relevant to the OP because this is exactly one of the
reason why I switched from JET to SQL-Server a few years ago: with JET, I
was becoming more and more burried under a collection of small queries - by
the hundreds and then by the thousands - by each day until I realized that I
was simply drowning in them (ie., trying to manage them) instead of working
(ie, adding some new useful functionality).

It looks to me the path that the OP is now following is exactly the same
path that I have myself followed a few years ago and the solution was to get
out of JET a quickly as possible.

JET might be useful if you are using Access as the frontend and want some
exclusive functionality like the possibility of pessimistic locking for your
forms but inside .NET, none of these functionality are available.  I just
don't see the point of keeping JET if you want to switch to .NET: you get
all the disadvantages of using JET and none of its advantages.

--

> Again, these are all perfectly valid reasons for converting to SQL Server.
> They just don't seem relevant to what the OP is asking for help with.
>
> Please, perkinesed, respond to the various inquiries people have made in
> this thread. We cannot answer your question as it stands.
>
> Are you trying to replace your database with objects created in .Net code?
> If so, you have to understand: sql requires a database engine. There is no
> database engine in .Net so .Net can neither parse nor execute sql queries
> on its own. It has to pass those sql statements to a database engine which
> can do those things. Yes, ADO.Net can get you close with some of its
> datatable functionality, but it is certainly not intended to be a
> replacement for a real database engine.
>

> Sylvain Lafontaine wrote:
>> And what about the lack of formating as a start?
>>
>> It's because it's much more easier to write complex queries inside a
>> SQL-Server stored procedure than it is with queries in Access:
>>
>> 1- Formating
>>
>> 2- No need to cut your query into multiple pieces because otherwise
>> JET will spit you back its "query to complex".
>>
>> 3- Full syntax for writing complex queries with inner join and outer
>> join (Left, Right, Full) without the need to put parenthesis
>> everywhere and with full support for the ON operator in the case of
>> outer join; possibility to mix all these with subqueries, again
>> without the risk of JET spitting back its too familiar error message.
>>
>> 4- etc.
>>
>> JET is practically the same old sql dialect and query engine acreated
>> more than 20 years ago and it has never changed since; excerpt for
>> the switch to Unicode and maybe a few bug here and there (but they
>> are still many bugs lurking in it).  For the rest, it has a much
>> evolued as a dead fossil.
>>
>> "Bob Barrows" <reb01501@NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
>>> Not that I disagree with your advice, but I'm having trouble
>>> understanding your reason for offering it in this instance. How will
>>> using SQL Server make his problem simpler? Instead of 5 levels of
>>> saved queries, he would now be dealing with 5 levels of views, with
>>> the same problem he's now posting about (not that I can say I

>>> --
>>> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so
>>> I don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove
>>> the "NO SPAM"
>
> --
> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
> "NO SPAM"

0
Sylvain
11/22/2009 7:37:09 PM
Ah, I get you now. Thanks for clarifying.
The ability to use real stored procedures may also help the OP out of his
hole.

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
"NO SPAM"

0
Bob

Convert text to time value

how to convert date

See that important patch from the MS Corp.
--mnqbifzstjwnoqccp Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="rbkkbifudezkn"; type="multipart/alternative" --rbkkbifudezkn Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="vdsdrqruhwoiboko" --vdsdrqruhwoiboko Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Ins...

largest value of field in query output
I have a query that pulls all the records from a table. For example, the query outputs the following: TITLE REV POSITION DATE methodA / 0 / tech / july 5 methodA / 1 / tech / july 10 methodB / 0 / tech / july 5 methodB / 1 / tech / july 10 methodB / 2 / tech / july 12 methodC / 0 / tech / july 6 methodC / 1 / ...

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

MS CRM & MYOB Integration
Does anyone know if it is possible to integrate MS CRM and MYOB? If so, at a very high level, what does this entail? Many Thanks, Jonty This is something i am interested in doing as well, any help would be appreciated. >-----Original Message----- >Does anyone know if it is possible to integrate MS CRM and >MYOB? If so, at a very high level, what does this entail? > >Many Thanks, >Jonty >. > From MSCRM's perspective this shouldn't be an issue. It's more a question of the capabilities of MYOB. Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ---...

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

Outlook 2007 Voice Access
Hello, Exchange 2007 SP1, Outlook 2007 SP2. We disabled the functionnality of Outlook Voice Access (OVA) to play e- mail messages on the phone - and limited it only to listen to voice messages. But we just noticed that when you disable this e-mail reading feature, OVA does not tell you how many NEW voice messages you have in your mailbox (they have not been read in Outlook and are still marked as unread). You can however continue and listen to them. So for me the TUIAccessToEmailEnabled PowerShell command set to $false also prevents knowing how many NEW voice messages we have...

Disapearing Query Results!
Hello Dear I have some Combo Box's on a form that extract data from queries When queries run,the results show to the user that is not necessary! Is it possible to hide query results from user? Thanks Best Regards The question is unclear. Do you want to show the results of a query in the form? Are you seeing query results in data sheet view and don't want to? If this is the case, then you must be executing the query in some manner and opening the query. We cannot see your application and cannot see what you are doing. John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2...

MS Money 2007 Deluxe vs Money Plus?
Is their any reason to upgrade? I downloaded the Demo of Plus but it looks just like 2007. I see no reason to drop $30 bucks. I wish they'd get a feature where I can enter a transaction on the money website and then sync when I get home. I like to enter stuff into my account register just as quickly as I can. One extra year before it turns into a pumpkin. The feature you are looking for was there and was removed. Not clear why it was removed--perhaps not enough people used it? Lots of users did find the very presence of the feature a reason to stay awake at night worrying that Bill...

Unintended field "expression 1006" in the query grids
Hello, When I open my query, there is an unintended field "Expr 1006". I do not know why is this automatically created. Anyone tells me, why this happened. -- H. Frank Situmorang Hi Frank this usually means that you put the same field into the query twice. Jeanette Cunningham "Frank Situmorang" <hfsitumo2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:2CF86F30-0E4D-499B-9FE0-D62BF450BC57@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > When I open my query, there is an unintended field "Expr 1006". I do not > know why is this automatically created. Anyone tells me, w...

Convert Access97 to 2000

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

Crosstab query question
I use a crosstab query in a database as a first step in recalling multiple monetary transactions made on the same day that, when added together, exceed $10,000.00 and then generate a report based on the results. The query currently returns multiple transactions made on the current day as per the design. The OrderDate field in the query's design view is as follows: Field: OrderDate Table: Transaction Total: Where Crosstab: Sort: Criteria: "Date( )" Or: I would like to be able to bring this data up from dates in the past a...

XML Note convert to DataSet

Pset method in VB.net
Hi all, I have a picturebox with a customized Scale and I want to plot a point on it. In the old VB6 it was very simple : Picturebox1.Scale (-0.5,0.5)-(0.5,-0.5) ' customized scale coordinates in my sample Picturebox1.Pset (x,y), color Now (after same searching) I found the method to set a customized Scale in VB.NET (ScaleTransform and TranslateTransform) but 'm not able to draw the Points. I can draw Lines,rectangles in such scale without any problems but not Points. For example in my scale how to draw a Point in the (0.1, 0.2) position/coordinates? I tried...

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005

How to access vrge file
I work at a law firm and need to review a number of vrge files. Are vrge file individual email files or are they the equivalent of a pst file which is a collection of emails, calendar, contacts, etc? We don't use Macs so we need the ability to view on a PC if possible. If that is NOT possible we can borrow a Mac. What is the best way to be able to view these vrge files on any platform? Thanks, Tom On 2/12/10 8:35 AM, in article FF3C8F86-C268-4129-96D3-693FD6F511CB@microsoft.com, "SoxFaninVA" <tjubb@hot.mail.spam.com> wrote: > I work at a law f...

Outlook Locks up, A program is trying to access your email
We have started getting a popup window saying that a program is trying to access your email. We click no about 5-10 times and then outlook locks up. We have to end task to use it again. Is there a way to find out what program is trying to access my email. Or to find out what the problem is. I look forward to the solutions. I have run scanpst.exe I have update office xp to sp3 I have run spybot, adware I have rud live update (norton) I have a pocket pc but do not sync email on that computer and it happens when it is not connected. Thanks Rafael See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/...

Convert

Is It Possible to Control Access Warning Pop-Up Message Boxes?
When running an update query, Access displays a warning message box and prompts for a response ("You are about to run an update query that will modify data in your table"). I have a macro that runs a series of update queries. Right now, I get the message box/response for each query. In this case, there is no need for the message box at all. Is there a way to (ideally) turn off this message for the duration of the query) or to answer it once for all of the queries? Thanks TerryoMSN It is possible to turn the warning off ... WARNING!!! If you forget to turn it bac...

Numbers converting to decimal

Converting Quicken 2004 to Money