I have a database to log details about staff in my school. I have a tables
for staff details, courses, absence, educational visits etc.

In each table I have a date field to show when the member of staff is not
present.

I want to produce a query to search all tables by entering a date - e.g. to
bring back all results for staff who are not in school on a certiain day
because they are either ill, on a course or on an educational visit. The
query will work by entering a date once - it will then search all the other
tables and bring back the results.

Is this possible? Do I restructure?

I would start by bringing all the tables into one query. You may have to
relate them first by going into tool/relationships and hooking them together
by primary and foreign key. I don't know how you have set your tables but you
have have a primary key of something like teacher ID number. When you bring
them into a query link them again and choose the fields you need from each
table. You may only need teacher id# and the reasons for absense and date of
absence. Then in the query you can add any date to the criteria of the date
field, like Between 3/5/2008 and 3/6/2008 and see who was absent and the
reason.

"Mr A C Ryder" wrote:

> I have a database to log details about staff in my school. I have a tables
> for staff details, courses, absence, educational visits etc.
>
> In each table I have a date field to show when the member of staff is not
> present.
>
> I want to produce a query to search all tables by entering a date - e.g. to
> bring back all results for staff who are not in school on a certiain day
> because they are either ill, on a course or on an educational visit. The
> query will work by entering a date once - it will then search all the other
> tables and bring back the results.
>
> Is this possible? Do I restructure?
All the tables in my database are related together by staff Initial. Each
table will then have a date field within it.

If I add all the tables into a query it will mean that the field "date" will
appear more than once. What I want to do is not have to enter the date more
than once in a parameter box - i.e. not for each field in each table.

I have tried using an SQL query but have been unsucceful in getting this to
work.

"Golfinray" wrote:

> I would start by bringing all the tables into one query. You may have to
> relate them first by going into tool/relationships and hooking them together
> by primary and foreign key. I don't know how you have set your tables but you
> have have a primary key of something like teacher ID number. When you bring
> them into a query link them again and choose the fields you need from each
> table. You may only need teacher id# and the reasons for absense and date of
> absence. Then in the query you can add any date to the criteria of the date
> field, like Between 3/5/2008 and 3/6/2008 and see who was absent and the
> reason.
>
> "Mr A C Ryder" wrote:
>
> > I have a database to log details about staff in my school. I have a tables
> > for staff details, courses, absence, educational visits etc.
> >
> > In each table I have a date field to show when the member of staff is not
> > present.
> >
> > I want to produce a query to search all tables by entering a date - e.g. to
> > bring back all results for staff who are not in school on a certiain day
> > because they are either ill, on a course or on an educational visit. The
> > query will work by entering a date once - it will then search all the other
> > tables and bring back the results.
> >
> > Is this possible? Do I restructure?
Take a look at using a UNION query.

SELECT TeacherID, DateOut, "Course" as Reason
FROM Courses
WHERE DateOut = [What Date?]
UNION
SELECT TeacherID, DateOut, "ILL"
FROM Illness
WHERE DateOut = [What Date?]
UNION
SELECT TeacherID, DateOut, "EVisit"
FROM [Educational Visit]
WHERE DateOut = [What Date?]

That said, you probably should roll all of this into one table - Absences
(?) with three fields
TeacherID
DateOut
Reason

The nice thing about this structure is if you come up with another reason
for a teacher to be out, then you just add a reason.  Then the query becomes
really easy to find out who is absent on a specific date or a range of
dates.

--
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2008

"Mr A C Ryder" <MrACRyder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> All the tables in my database are related together by staff Initial. Each
> table will then have a date field within it.
>
> If I add all the tables into a query it will mean that the field "date"
> will
> appear more than once. What I want to do is not have to enter the date
> more
> than once in a parameter box - i.e. not for each field in each table.
>
> I have tried using an SQL query but have been unsucceful in getting this
> work.
>

> "Golfinray" wrote:
>
>> I would start by bringing all the tables into one query. You may have to
>> relate them first by going into tool/relationships and hooking them
>> together
>> by primary and foreign key. I don't know how you have set your tables but
>> you
>> have have a primary key of something like teacher ID number. When you
>> bring
>> them into a query link them again and choose the fields you need from
>> each
>> table. You may only need teacher id# and the reasons for absense and date
>> of
>> absence. Then in the query you can add any date to the criteria of the
>> date
>> field, like Between 3/5/2008 and 3/6/2008 and see who was absent and the
>> reason.
>>
>> "Mr A C Ryder" wrote:
>>
>> > I have a database to log details about staff in my school. I have a
>> > tables
>> > for staff details, courses, absence, educational visits etc.
>> >
>> > In each table I have a date field to show when the member of staff is
>> > not
>> > present.
>> >
>> > I want to produce a query to search all tables by entering a date -
>> > e.g. to
>> > bring back all results for staff who are not in school on a certiain
>> > day
>> > because they are either ill, on a course or on an educational visit.
>> > The
>> > query will work by entering a date once - it will then search all the
>> > other
>> > tables and bring back the results.
>> >
>> > Is this possible? Do I restructure?

0
John

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Fields in TransactionEntry table
I hope someone can help me understand the contents of three fields in the TransactionEntry table in RMS. I'm trying to see if I can use data stored in these fields to correct the Price in my Item table. Two of the fields are the FullPrice and Price. It appears to me that the Price field is the price charged at the register, the FullPrice is something like the Price in Item. The PriceSource field seems to be a code that is 1 if the regular price is charged, 10 if the price is changed by the cashier and other values depending on the size of the discount applied at the register. My h...

Make table truncates text concatenated using fnConcatenate
I have a MakeTable query which uses the fnConcatenate( ) function to merge a bunch of information into a single field. Unfortunately, the field length exceeds 255 characters and the MakeTable tries to dump this into a text field, rather than identifying that the field should be a memo field. I know I could create the base table and import the data from my query into that table, but I would prefer to make this table on the fly, and then delete it when I am done with it. Any recommendations? -- Email address is not valid. Please reply to newsgroup only. On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:48:04 -07...

Can't send/receive

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

Hide label and field if blank
How do I hide the label and field if field is blank? Thanks in advance. Are you working in MS Access? Are you working on a form or a report? Which version of Access? More info, please Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "jhicsupt" <jhicsupt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4AF5FB29-9B63-43DB-BD82-547467F75F54@microsoft.com... > How do I hide the label and field if field is blank? > > Thanks in advance. I found this thread and need the same answer: I am working in MS Access 2003. I want to print a report from a table that has a list of ...

HR Benefit Table
I'm trying to do some cleanup of our benefits (delete benefits that were enrolled and never used) and in the process of querying table BE010130 there are a ton of benefits that have a 0 in the BENEFITSTATUS_I field. When I try to pull them up in GP they don't show under the specified employee. Can anyone tell me what these are and if I can delete them? ------=_NextPart_0001_079D83ED Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, After looking at the HRBEN.DOC from the SDK, it doesn't appear the BE010130 should have a value of 0. The values that should b...

Multiple emails w/ same tracking token in one activity?
Is it possible to track an ongoing email conversation as a single activity (assuming tracking token is present and accurate), instead of having each outgoing and incoming email result in a separate activity? One troubleshooting conversation with a contact can end up creating 12 activities in their history. If anyone knows the answer and/or can tell me how to do so, please let me know. Thanks! Afraid not. Each of those seperate emails is a seperate "activity" and thus is tracked seperately. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "SCAB" <SCAB@discussions.microso...

Can't delete email #2

Summary of multiple workbooks in a directory
Hi again, I have a bundle of workbooks, each one has a summary page. These will all be saved in the same directory eventually. I would like to have a worksheet that presented me all teh summary pages (ordered alphabetically by one of he fields). Excel can trwal a directory for all .xls and extract an area from a worksheet then order on a cell? I am not sure where to start on this and a web search was not much help so far. TIA W Hi as a starting point: http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm >-----Original Message----- >Hi again, I have a bundle of workbooks, each one has a summar...

Multiple logins
Here is the scenario: My Fiancee & I share some of the same accounts. When she logs into the bank, she can see our joint accounts plus her personal accounts. The same for me. The issue is when I set Money up to pull from the bank, I get two of the same account. If I try to delete one of the duplicates, it tells me it has to delete all accounts from that login (including the history). I do not want to do this, but what can I do to save my sanity? Thanks! ...

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

Good way to populate junction table?
Hi, If I have two tables, Players and Tournaments, and I want to quickly add a large number of Players to a new Tournament, what is the best design for the form to do this? I'm thinking (hoping) it is as easy as showing all the players with a check box next to their names and checking them off, but I can't think how that translates "behind the scenes" into putting the TournamentID and PlayerID into the junction table. Thanks. A better solution would be an unbound form with a multi-select list box of players, a combo box to select the tournament and a button to i...

Multiple Languages
I'm working on a community template, and was going to save the document in multiple languages. Is there an easy way to convert the text, without having to retype it for each language? I'm sure I'm just blind. Nope you need to retype the words in the new language. Translating is not something that computers do well. Languages are just too tricky with too many rules and exceptions to those rules. -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "Infexus Bytez" wrote: > I'm working on a community template, and was going to save the document in > multiple langua...