Calculating time in query

Hi there,

I'm searching for some help with my query. I'm making access to be my
administration program for my freelance job. I've made a table with a row
'starttime' and a row 'endtime'. Now in my query I want to calculate the
difference between these two rows. And then I want to make another query to
calculate the totals of these differences. Is this a logic way to do this?
And I'm trying to make a expression to calculate the difference but with no
luck. The result is something like this: 3,2515785. I've found a kb article
but I still can't figure it out because I don't know how to use VB.

I hope someone can help me with the expression and can judge if above is a
logic thing...

Thanks in advance!

Roy

"R. Mahler" <r.mahler@tiscali.nl> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I'm searching for some help with my query. I'm making access to be my
> administration program for my freelance job. I've made a table with a row
> 'starttime' and a row 'endtime'. Now in my query I want to calculate the
> difference between these two rows. And then I want to make another query
> to calculate the totals of these differences. Is this a logic way to do
> this? And I'm trying to make a expression to calculate the difference but
> with no luck. The result is something like this: 3,2515785. I've found a
> kb article but I still can't figure it out because I don't know how to use
> VB.
>
> I hope someone can help me with the expression and can judge if above is a
> logic thing...
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Roy

There are several articles on working with dates and times in Access at the
following URL ...

http://www.mvps.org/access/datetime/index.html

--
Brendan Reynolds

0
Brendan
11/5/2007 12:23:58 PM
It all starts with the data (design) in Access.

How is it that you have one row holding (something's) [starttime] and a
different row holding (?that same something's?) [endtime]?  Wouldn't start
and end times be related to the same something?

--
Regards

Jeff Boyce
www.InformationFutures.net

Microsoft Office/Access MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor
http://microsoftitacademy.com/

"R. Mahler" <r.mahler@tiscali.nl> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I'm searching for some help with my query. I'm making access to be my
> administration program for my freelance job. I've made a table with a row
> 'starttime' and a row 'endtime'. Now in my query I want to calculate the
> difference between these two rows. And then I want to make another query
> calculate the totals of these differences. Is this a logic way to do this?
> And I'm trying to make a expression to calculate the difference but with
no
> luck. The result is something like this: 3,2515785. I've found a kb
article
> but I still can't figure it out because I don't know how to use VB.
>
> I hope someone can help me with the expression and can judge if above is a
> logic thing...
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Roy

0
Jeff
11/5/2007 1:18:27 PM
This table has a field with a unic ID, a field with a menu linked to a
project table so that a can pick the name of the project,  a field for the
starttime, a field for the endtime and a commence field. And I thought that
a can make the calculating in the query.

Hope a bit clearer :-)

Roy

"Jeff Boyce" <JeffBoyce_IF@msn.com-DISCARD_HYPHEN_TO_END> schreef in bericht
> It all starts with the data (design) in Access.
>
> How is it that you have one row holding (something's) [starttime] and a
> different row holding (?that same something's?) [endtime]?  Wouldn't start
> and end times be related to the same something?
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> www.InformationFutures.net
>
> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>
> Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor
> http://microsoftitacademy.com/
>
> "R. Mahler" <r.mahler@tiscali.nl> wrote in message
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm searching for some help with my query. I'm making access to be my
>> administration program for my freelance job. I've made a table with a row
>> 'starttime' and a row 'endtime'. Now in my query I want to calculate the
>> difference between these two rows. And then I want to make another query
>> calculate the totals of these differences. Is this a logic way to do
>> this?
>> And I'm trying to make a expression to calculate the difference but with
> no
>> luck. The result is something like this: 3,2515785. I've found a kb
> article
>> but I still can't figure it out because I don't know how to use VB.
>>
>> I hope someone can help me with the expression and can judge if above is
>> logic thing...
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Roy

Your original post mentioned calculating the difference between two rows.
This description sounds like you want to calculate the difference between
two fields.  Check the lead that Brendon provided.

--

> This table has a field with a unic ID, a field with a menu linked to a
> project table so that a can pick the name of the project,  a field for the
> starttime, a field for the endtime and a commence field. And I thought
that
> a can make the calculating in the query.
>
> Hope a bit clearer :-)
>
> Roy
>

> "Jeff Boyce" <JeffBoyce_IF@msn.com-DISCARD_HYPHEN_TO_END> schreef in
bericht
> > It all starts with the data (design) in Access.
> >
> > How is it that you have one row holding (something's) [starttime] and a
> > different row holding (?that same something's?) [endtime]?  Wouldn't
start
> > and end times be related to the same something?
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >
> > Jeff Boyce
> > www.InformationFutures.net
> >
> > Microsoft Office/Access MVP
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >
> > Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor
> > http://microsoftitacademy.com/
> >
> > "R. Mahler" <r.mahler@tiscali.nl> wrote in message
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> I'm searching for some help with my query. I'm making access to be my
> >> administration program for my freelance job. I've made a table with a
row
> >> 'starttime' and a row 'endtime'. Now in my query I want to calculate
the
> >> difference between these two rows. And then I want to make another
query
> >> calculate the totals of these differences. Is this a logic way to do
> >> this?
> >> And I'm trying to make a expression to calculate the difference but
with
> > no
> >> luck. The result is something like this: 3,2515785. I've found a kb
> > article
> >> but I still can't figure it out because I don't know how to use VB.
> >>
> >> I hope someone can help me with the expression and can judge if above
is
> >> logic thing...
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance!
> >>
> >> Roy

0
Jeff
11/6/2007 12:50:42 PM
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for you  reply. I can't find the lead of Brendon? Is it in this
group?

Greetz

> Your original post mentioned calculating the difference between two rows.
> This description sounds like you want to calculate the difference between
> two fields.  Check the lead that Brendon provided.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> www.InformationFutures.net
>
> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>
> Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor
> http://microsoftitacademy.com/
>
> "R. Mahler" <r.mahler@tiscali.nl> wrote in message
>> This table has a field with a unic ID, a field with a menu linked to a
>> project table so that a can pick the name of the project,  a field for
>> the
>> starttime, a field for the endtime and a commence field. And I thought
> that
>> a can make the calculating in the query.
>>
>> Hope a bit clearer :-)
>>
>> Roy
>>

>> "Jeff Boyce" <JeffBoyce_IF@msn.com-DISCARD_HYPHEN_TO_END> schreef in
> bericht
>> > It all starts with the data (design) in Access.
>> >
>> > How is it that you have one row holding (something's) [starttime] and a
>> > different row holding (?that same something's?) [endtime]?  Wouldn't
> start
>> > and end times be related to the same something?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards
>> >
>> > Jeff Boyce
>> > www.InformationFutures.net
>> >
>> > Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> >
>> > Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor
>> > http://microsoftitacademy.com/
>> >
>> > "R. Mahler" <r.mahler@tiscali.nl> wrote in message

> row
> the
> query
> with
>> > no
>> > article

> is

Brendan Reynold responded to your posting.

There are several articles on working with dates and times in Access at the
following URL ...

http://www.mvps.org/access/datetime/index.html

--
Brendan Reynolds

--
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Thanks for you  reply. I can't find the lead of Brendon? Is it in this
> group?
>
> Greetz
>
> Roy
>

> "Jeff Boyce" <JeffBoyce_IF@msn.com-DISCARD_HYPHEN_TO_END> schreef in
> bericht news:uLW4NPHIIHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Your original post mentioned calculating the difference between two rows.
>> This description sounds like you want to calculate the difference between
>> two fields.  Check the lead that Brendon provided.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff Boyce
>> www.InformationFutures.net
>>
>> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>
>> Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor
>> http://microsoftitacademy.com/
>>
>> "R. Mahler" <r.mahler@tiscali.nl> wrote in message
>>> This table has a field with a unic ID, a field with a menu linked to a
>>> project table so that a can pick the name of the project,  a field for
>>> the
>>> starttime, a field for the endtime and a commence field. And I thought
>> that
>>> a can make the calculating in the query.
>>>
>>> Hope a bit clearer :-)
>>>
>>> Roy
>>>

>>> "Jeff Boyce" <JeffBoyce_IF@msn.com-DISCARD_HYPHEN_TO_END> schreef in
>> bericht

>> start

>> row
>> the
>> query
>> with

>> is

0
John

How to calculate age of a person?

average if with time
I have data sorted by date(mm/dd/yy) and time(hh.mm.ss) and I am tryin to write a function which will average every hour. How can I sor through the times and compute an average without getting all the 2 clocks, for example, as opposed to the hour on one particular day Thanks for the help, Andrew Moo -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Need a little more detail. Maybe give me an example of what you have a data and then tell me what results you are trying to recieve from tha data! michae -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I see your problem as having separate...

Euro symbol in queries
I have an Access front end to a SQL Server 2005 database using ODBC linked tables. There appears to be a problem when using the euro symbol in queries. SELECT * FROM tbl_Datatable WHERE (tbl_Datatable.strPRICE)='?40'; (the ? should be a euro symbol Alt+0128. it appears that even just posting causes the same problem) This query returns nothing although there are many entries with a strPRICE of '?40' SELECT * FROM tbl_Datatable WHERE (tbl_Datatable.strPRICE)='$40'; This query returns all with a strPRICE of '$40' How do I use the symbol in queries? Rega...

Due Date Calculated

how to calculate outliers

Time Conversion question
One of the pieces of software we use gives us time in an awkward format. 16633 means 166 minutes 33 seconds. I need a formula to convert this figure to a decimal respresentation of time (166.55 for the example listed previously). Any help will be much appreciated. =INT(A1/100)+MOD(A1,100)*5/300 HTH. Best wishes Harald "Sean Skallerud" <SeanSkallerud@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:050BD3C6-E67A-4F94-B08B-695A038B33A6@microsoft.com... > One of the pieces of software we use gives us time in an awkward format. > 16633 means 166 minutes 33 seconds. I...

Calculated field options???

Passing specific ComboBox info to a Query
Hi - hope someone can help. What I'm trying to do is to select service dates within a 53 week year - and the year doesn't always start on the 1st Jan. When I use specific criteria in the ServiceDate field in the query (dd/mm/yyyy): "Between #28/12/2009# And (#28/12/2009#+371)" it works fine. When I use a text box (set to dd/mm/yyyy) and set the criteria to "Between Forms!FRM_FormName!TextBox and (Forms!FRM_FormName!TextBox +371)" it also works fine I don't want the user to have to remember the exact start date of each year, so I creat...

ODBC database query
I am working with an Access database to keep track of everyone's jobs at work. I have Excel files with macros that pull information from the database and display it in a report form. My problem is that I seem to be running out of space within the macros. I get to the database using an ODBC link. Once I filter the data and complete the macro, the filtered data displays perfectly, but if I save and close the file, then open it again, the macro contains errors. When I open the macro and look at the coding, it looks like it cuts off at a certain point as if I had filled my character quot...

tenure calculations

Time Sheet Function to Calculate

Formula to calculate time

Not Windows but Chicago Hawks win Stanley Cup
Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook kisses the Stanley Cup after the Blackhawks stunned the Philadelphia Flyers 4-3 in overtime, capturing their first championship in 49 years. As you might guess, Hockey's key competition is named after me. Just kidding. P.S. I didn't know hockey is so active during Summer time, it was 90 degrees here the past week and we're not far from Chicago. Stanley Starinski I have a goat on Route9, NJ at my farm! "Ibrahim Al-Qassam (Abdelaziz)" <IranWillRuleWorld@alibaba.ir> wrote in message news:hure3v$...

Insert calculated median field in pivottable
Anyone know how to get a median calculation in a pivot table? I've tried inserting a calculated field but it always sums the calculated field. Thanks, Joel Not supported in a pivot -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Joel Schaefer" <joel@disintegrators.com> wrote in message news:ev4P0Nk6FHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Anyone know how to get a median calculation in a pivot table? I've tried > inserting a calculated field but it always sums the calculated field. > > Thanks, > > Joel > ...

Is it possible to have different send/receive patterns at different times?
Basically, here's what I want to happen. >From 8-5 or so, Outlook downloads my e-mail automatically with Send/Receive. At 5 or 5:30, when I leave the office, Outlook stops, and I can check my e-mail through our web interface. The simple approach is to just close Outlook, but I tend to forget to do that. So is there a way to set it, either with or without an add-in? Justin <jmeyer@incrementaladvantage.com> wrote: > Basically, here's what I want to happen. >> From 8-5 or so, Outlook downloads my e-mail automatically with > Send/Receive. At 5 or 5:30, when I le...

Pivot Tables referring to external data query
In my excel file I am querying external data(an ODBC database) in one sheet. The query data amounts to over 10,000 rows. I am using a pivot table to summarize the query data. As my query data expands, the pivot table range doesn't expand. Is there a setting that enables the pivot table range to expands with the query data? When the query is imported, a name should be automatically created in Excel. You can use that as the pivot table source. To find the name: Select the sheet that contains the imported data Right-click on a cell in the imported data range Choose Data Range Pr...

Approving time sheets in Business Portal
A user is modifying a timesheet that was previously returned by a supervisor. The timesheet has a status of "Returned". The user corrects the information and when proceed to save the following message appears: Microsoft.Dynamics.Pma.Pma.Cost Category. [Cause] The entity, Timesheet, accessed by the user failed security validation. [Correction] The system should accept a query or update for the entity that the user has..(final part of message is not displayed). The timesheet was made using Business Portal 2.5. Great Plains version is 8.0 Any suggestion on the cause of this er...

Javascript help, calculation whoes when calculating from a calculation....
I am having a strange issue with Javascript and I cannot see what the issue us? Essentially I need to be able to calculate two values, one is addition and the second is multiplication. I am getting some strange numbers. My code is at the bottom under the ------, here are the details. crmForm.all.estimatedvalue.DataValue = 10 crmForm.all.new_cfp_estrev_nextyr.DataValue = 10 crmForm.all.new_cfp_estrev_yrtwoplus.DataValue = 10 This should make totalestrev = 30, Then its getting weird, I am taking the following formula (10/100)*30 = 270? Here 10 is the value selected from the drop down value, I ...

Printing 2 documents at the same time from different trays
When sending letters to clients, I would like to be able to print a copy on headed and also a copy on plain paper for the file. Is there anyway I can create a setting for this? It would be fairly straightforward using a macro to select the trays and print the document, change trays and print it again. You will find code at http://www.gmayor.com/fax_from_word.htm that you can modify to achieve this. If you need any further help let us know. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham M...

Run time error with Find Box and automatic DOLE
I have a form for sorting through a catalog of samples. I made a find box on my form for the catalog number so records can be browsed more easily. I added the following code to the before update property of the form to fill the date in the DOLE field whenever the record is edited. Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) If (IsNull(DOC)) Then DOC = Date DOLE = Date Else DOLE = Now End If End Sub If I switch records using the find box on my form after having changed something in the form I get a run time error. "Run-time error '-214...

Calculating Employee hours for the current week
Hello, I am new to excel and have been assigned the task of creating a file that breaks down the amount of time each of our employees spends on different projects. Most importantly I want to create a rollup sheet that shows the total number of hours all the employees have spent on the different projects (there are 6) for the current week. Is there any way for excel to figure out the current week then add together the hours all the employees worked on these 6 projects? Thanks in advance. Hi, Take a look at the templates available from Microsoft at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/template...

calculator errors
when i enter an equation into a cell such as: =product(a1,b1) into cell c1. If a1 is 1000 and b1 is .10 than c1 should equal 100, but it equals 102.04. My calculator is off somehow when i try to multiply. Please help me. Thank You, Kat I'd take a look at the values in A1 and B1. Are they really 1000 and .10 or are they 1000.49999 or .10444 (for example) "Kat and the Calculator" <KatandtheCalculator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:591A3F6E-7C20-4C88-B1E2-6B76CFF502BA@microsoft.com... > when i enter an equation into a cell such as: =product(a...